Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Yea seen all that ages ago bud, but that is for the 290x. It was a massive problem for that GPU so it's just my luck that I get it with an Nvidia GPU. I've already sent Overclockers a message, but as its a Friday I probably won't hear anything until Monday. Really pissed off :( I also have The Crew coming tomorrow but won't be able to play it. Can't really put it back in my PC with oil leaking out...
I hope I'm still under warranty as some don't allow coolers to be taken off without voiding warranty. It does say the "gel" is harmless so maybe I can still use it..

Hughesy said:
Yea seen all that ages ago bud, but that is for the 290x. It was a massive problem for that GPU so it's just my luck that I get it with an Nvidia GPU. I've already sent Overclockers a message, but as its a Friday I probably won't hear anything until Monday. Really pissed off :( I also have The Crew coming tomorrow but won't be able to play it. Can't really put it back in my PC with oil leaking out...

True, but it also specifically says it's a problem with the Twin Frozr cooler, so I'd imagine that'll cover you too. Overclockers are open 9-5 on a Saturday though so hopefully you will hear back tomorrow, but I can kind of see them saying to get in touch with MSI :p 

Makes me never want to use MSI again. If I got a 980, I'd get the Gigabyte G1

@RevolvingPrawn‌ Overclockers are picking it up for testing/replace  :o I think it's because they were the guys that found the problem with this cooler and told MSI about it. I presume it'll still have to go to MSI as OCUK don't stock the card anymore. Would be funny if they said I could have a refund as they don't stock it anymore, then letting me use that money to put towards a 980, wishful thinking  o:)

Good stuff dude :) Only trouble now is that might take a day or two longer if they send it on to MSI, and you gotta use onboard graphics yea? :p Maybe time to fire up Destiny soon? I haven't been on it in ages so some strikes might be fun. They still have an Asus one and some KFA2 ones ;) Though the Asus one is the same price as a 980 so you never know!

The only thing is that I have to pay to send it to OCUK, because of its age. I won't be using onboard graphics, might as well use a potato.... :# I suspect they will send it to MSI. Problem is if I get a new card it probably won't overclock as high, as mine seems to go further than most :( So I'll lose performance :s 

Just sent them an email to ask what they will do after testing it, I also put that I'll be buy a new GPU soon, sowing the seed lol

(wishful thinking) o:)

@RevolvingPrawn‌ Testing my card at the moment, and since putting it back in my PC it hasn't made that noise.... I might have to cancel the rma. Still strange as I had the oil or whatever it is on the cooler. I'll keep testing it over the weekend and see what happens. :)

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn‌ Testing my card at the moment, and since putting it back in my PC it hasn't made that noise.... I might have to cancel the rma. Still strange as I had the oil or whatever it is on the cooler. I'll keep testing it over the weekend and see what happens. :)
Good good. Keep an eye on it and lets hope it doesn't start up again! Definitely a worry that it might have been making that noise from a lack of oil where it leaked... 

Hughesy said:
Good good. Keep an eye on it and lets hope it doesn't start up again! Definitely a worry that it might have been making that noise from a lack of oil where it leaked... 
Just want it to last a bit longer until I buy a new GPU. I thought things would be simple now I don't have water cooling. I still have all the bits for wc and just cool the GPU, but not sure it's a good idea with my spaz hands...

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Just want it to last a bit longer until I buy a new GPU. I thought things would be simple now I don't have water cooling. I still have all the bits for wc and just cool the GPU, but not sure it's a good idea with my spaz hands...
Things are never simple with a PC are they bud? :p 

Is spaz hands the new jazz hands? ;)

@RevolvingPrawn‌ It started making the noise again :s Going to send it to OCUK.

Hughesy said:
Had a feeling it might :( Get that bad boy sent off and fixed up, and let me know if you fancy some X1 while you wait for it to return. Are you gonna use onboard for general use while it's gone or do you have a spare GPU to stick in?

Hughesy said:
Had a feeling it might :( Get that bad boy sent off and fixed up, and let me know if you fancy some X1 while you wait for it to return. Are you gonna use onboard for general use while it's gone or do you have a spare GPU to stick in?
I just won't use my PC at all probably. I'd be up for some Destiny at some point mate, haven't played it for ages. Bet it's going to take ages to get a replacement, as OCUK said they would test it then send it to MSI. I really should've gone straight to them, but never mind. I would've still had a 6950 GPU, as my brother had it. I gave my bro my 670 and then let his mate have the 6950 for free, I'm far too kind o:) Ive never actually used the onboard GPU in my 3570k.

Bet I get a replacement that doesn't overclock anywhere near as good, so I'll end up losing performance :(

Nah neither have I, think I last turned my X1 on in October :p Think I might hook it all back up today and see how many updates there are lol. I can see it taking up to 2 weeks possibly. Though tbh I'd probably have done the same. Like if my 980 ever has a problem I'll get hold of Scan first and see what they say to do. I've done similar things with my old GPU's lol, gave my stepdad my 660 when I went to the 770, then gave my bro the 770 in exchange for his R9 270X, which I gave to my stepdad in return for the 660 and his old 7750 lol. So I've got 2 spare atm but one is in my crappy second PC (which I need to update soon!). Hope you don't get a card that doesn't overclock as well, I'm hoping they say that because they don't do the 780 any more they'll upgrade you to a 780Ti. Wishful thinking from me too lol :p Either that or stick a new cooler on there and give you the same card back.

MSI don't do that, they make coolers individually for each card so each one is slightly different (so they say) so it'll be a new card I think. Tried to play  Dragon Age Inquisition using onboard GPU and can only get 19fps on the lowest settings @ 720p lol

Edit: @RevolvingPrawn‌ I'm seriously thinking about getting a 980, as I play at 1440p I really need the extra power, and it seems like 4GB will be plenty so others say. I can get this one for £449, what do you think?
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-msi-gtx-980-gaming-4g-twin-frozr-v-7010mhz-gddr5-gpu-1216mhz-boost-1317mhz-2048-cores-3x-dp-1x-d

Edit 2: I'm going to buy it, got the money back from the TX wheel so might as well use it. :)

Nah neither have I, think I last turned my X1 on in October :p Think I might hook it all back up today and see how many updates there are lol. I can see it taking up to 2 weeks possibly. Though tbh I'd probably have done the same. Like if my 980 ever has a problem I'll get hold of Scan first and see what they say to do. I've done similar things with my old GPU's lol, gave my stepdad my 660 when I went to the 770, then gave my bro the 770 in exchange for his R9 270X, which I gave to my stepdad in return for the 660 and his old 7750 lol. So I've got 2 spare atm but one is in my crappy second PC (which I need to update soon!). Hope you don't get a card that doesn't overclock as well, I'm hoping they say that because they don't do the 780 any more they'll upgrade you to a 780Ti. Wishful thinking from me too lol :p Either that or stick a new cooler on there and give you the same card back.

well I haven't really used mine lately either since I finished up with the Halo games.

Oh but it isn't value for money, and Nvidia held back on it, 4GB ain't enough and it's been held back, not the card for you considering AMD are going to destroy it ;) Lmao! Get it dude, you'll love it. I love mine :) Funny how you've changed your mind on it :p

Oh but it isn't value for money, and Nvidia held back on it, 4GB ain't enough and it's been held back, not the card for you considering AMD are going to destroy it ;) Lmao! Get it dude, you'll love it. I love mine :) Funny how you've changed your mind on it :p
I never said I wanted AMD if you look, I just said it'll be faster :p It's not going to be a huge difference but it will be noticeable compared to my 780. The main reason is because I play at 1440p, it has to last atleast two years. There's no point having a 1440p screen but having to play at 1080p. I still think it's a tad overpriced, but I always like having the best, which this is at the moment.
And trust me they did hold back on the Vram, a 6-8GB version will come out soon (just like the 780) but as I don't use high amounts of AA, four should be enough.

Its going to come on Tuesday, and Scan had free next day delivery. o:) And really it only feels like I'm spending £200, as the rest I'd already used to buy a wheel. (If you get what I mean) I'm hoping it still comes with a free game, as it doesn't show that it does. I could then get AC Unity for free as I have the rest of the games on offer, as I refuse to pay for AC becasue of all the problems it has.

So its gone from overpriced to a tad overpriced? :p And I thought the R9 295X2 was the best GPU? You know I'm gonna grill you for a while on this after the slight bashing you gave it before right? ;) And yea, 4GB should be fine dude, I've played a fair few recent games at 4K DSR with AA maxed out and still get an awesome FPS out of them. It really is a beast of a card, plus the one you're getting is OC'd outta the box lol, your stock clock is the same as my boost clock :) Would be cool if you get the free game, I wouldn't fork out anything for Unity either.

So its gone from overpriced to a tad overpriced? :p And I thought the R9 295X2 was the best GPU? You know I'm gonna grill you for a while on this after the slight bashing you gave it before right? ;) And yea, 4GB should be fine dude, I've played a fair few recent games at 4K DSR with AA maxed out and still get an awesome FPS out of them. It really is a beast of a card, plus the one you're getting is OC'd outta the box lol, your stock clock is the same as my boost clock :) Would be cool if you get the free game, I wouldn't fork out anything for Unity either.
Not my fault you don't understand what I write :p The 295x2 is a dual GPU mate.... And I never gave you a bashing, I was giving you advice ;) The main reason I'm getting it is because I'm too impatient to wait for the replacement, if my 780 didn't go wrong I wouldn't be buying a 980, but you carry on bud o:) I know it's a good card, it's just not a huge leap over the last gen.

Faulty GPU sent, now just waiting for my 980 to come tomorrow :)

Edit: GPU dispatched and on its way to me, roll on tomorrow. I'm sure I'll love it, and enjoy @RevolvingPrawn‌ digs when I do. :)

Hughesy said:
Faulty GPU sent, now just waiting for my 980 to come tomorrow :)

Edit: GPU dispatched and on its way to me, roll on tomorrow. I'm sure I'll love it, and enjoy @RevolvingPrawn‌ digs when I do. :)
To the comment above this: It may not seem like a big leap, but playing Dead Space 3 at 4K DSR with everything maxed out and still getting over 100FPS... It feels like a big leap ;)

Roll on the digs :p It's a great card though man, I'm pretty certain you won't be disappointed! What are you gonna do with the 780 when it gets returned? Sell it on to cover some of the 980 cost?