Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Just like I did :p Get his current one back and keep it as your spare :)
Lol I will, it's mine anyway :p Just hoping my 980 comes early tomorrow, as I have Physio in the afternoon for my broken ankle (which isn't broken anymore) Kind of pointless when I'm crippled already lol NHS like wasting money.

@RevolvingPrawn‌ Ahh GPU isn't coming until 2:30-3:30, that's when I have physio so thats getting cancelled o:)

Lol Yep  :) Don't see the point anyway, as I'll  break my ankle again at some point :#. I've broken it 6 times already, I was into extreme sports when I was younger. Tried something down a long set of steps on my skateboard, but my foot didn't land on the board and it felt like a grenade exploded. Since then it's been very weak. Don't think my extreme past has helped my current condition. Gone off topic again, choo choo.  If I was a horse I would've been shot already.... :p

Just got it bud. Haven't tested it yet as Im trying to stop a high pitched noise, seems like it's coming from the PSU, but when I tried it on its own it didn't make the noise. It must be when its drawing power, or it's coming from the motherboard. Grrrrrr what is it with things I own making strange noises. I've found that if I turn my head slightly I can't hear the noise, so if I can move the PC somewhere else I may not hear it...

Hughesy said:
Just got it bud. Haven't tested it yet as Im trying to stop a high pitched noise, seems like it's coming from the PSU, but when I tried it on its own it didn't make the noise. It must be when its drawing power, or it's coming from the motherboard. Grrrrrr what is it with things I own making strange noises.
Your bum makes the strangest from the sounds of it :p 

I did have something similar, and I still do when I'm playing games (gets a lot worse the higher the FPS. Like some intro screens *ahem FC4 ahem* give me somewhere between 1000 an 2000 fps and the noise goes crazy) but I just put it down to high pitched coil whine. If it's happening even at idle though then there's something weird  about that... Keep me updated bud.

Yea this is at idle and is very annoying even if I turn all fans to max. Just took the PSU out but with everything connected and turned it on, and if I put it tilted at a certain angle the noise stops.... Btw I'll post a pic of the GPU in a sec. It lights up, I didn't know it did that.

Hughesy said:
Yea this is at idle and is very annoying even if I turn all fans to max. Just took the PSU out but with everything connected and turned it on, and if I put it tilted at a certain angle the noise stops.... Btw I'll post a pic of the GPU in a sec. It lights up, I didn't know it did that.
Very strange dude, not something I've run into or experienced in that way :\ What make of PSU is it?

Deffo post a pic! Wanna see that bad boy all lit up lol.

It's too dark! :p Use flash lol. Best thing might be to e-mail be quiet and ask them about it bud. Mention tipping the PSU and the noise going and everything. Another question, I guess you have your PSU fan down? Is the noise there when the fan is up?

It's too dark! :p Use flash lol. Best thing might be to e-mail be quiet and ask them about it bud. Mention tipping the PSU and the noise going and everything. Another question, I guess you have your PSU fan down? Is the noise there when the fan is up?
If I used flash you would see the bit that's lit up bud, that was the point of the pic, to see the logo on the side lit up :p You won't see much else either way when it's in my PC ;) I changed the fan to face up but it's still doing it. Also Be quiet have very bad customer service. When someone else asked them about it all they got back was "our PSUs make no noise ever" pretty stupid really, and I've seen a few people with the same problem as me. It started a while ago, but I could fix it by turning it off then back on, now it does it all the time  :( Might have to look for a new one at some point.

I might not see it lit up, but I'll still see the part that's supposed to be lit up :p Such a strange problem dude, and if that's the attitude their customer service take... Jesus, not good. If a company replied to me with that I'd record the sound, send it to them and ask what the bloody hell the noise coming from their product was then lol. Don't have a spare PSU about do you? I might have a Corsair CX750M floating about if you want it? Just gotta hunt around and see if I can find it lol. Got my old HX850 as my spare so it wouldn't be a problem

I might not see it lit up, but I'll still see the part that's supposed to be lit up :p Such a strange problem dude, and if that's the attitude their customer service take... Jesus, not good. If a company replied to me with that I'd record the sound, send it to them and ask what the bloody hell the noise coming from their product was then lol. Don't have a spare PSU about do you? I might have a Corsair CX750M floating about if you want it? Just gotta hunt around and see if I can find it lol. Got my old HX850 as my spare so it wouldn't be a problem
How can you not see the dragon and MSI logo lit up in white? Must be blind or have your screen set very dark... :# I do have a spare one lying about somewhere lol my house is like a PC museum  :o.  

Already overclocked it, boost clock is at 1473mhz at the moment :D Getting about 20-30fps higher than my 780 so not too bad. That's only in DAI, might be higher in other games. The fans are at 90% at the moment and I still can't hear them, big improvement over the last twin frozr.

Oh I can see them lol, what I mean is I can't see the rest of the card :p That's all good then, I'd say just test on your spare or your bros PC to see if the noise still happens. Awesome, might have to stick some overclocking on mine to see if it helps at all with FC4 lol. You should deffo get even higher FPS in other games though :)

Here's one with flash on fussy pants. Just emailed Scan to ask why there's no free game anymore. Wanted AC for free, as that's what it's worth lol photo imagejpg1-3jpg

Lol Middle Earth with ultra textures (which I couldn't use with my 780) I'm getting 70-90fps :o Could only get 30fps with my 780 mainly due to oBly having 3GB Vram. Maybe I was wrong about the 980 bud, testing continues.
@RevolvingPrawn The Nvidia deal ended on the 7th so Scan say, even though it still says its live on Nvidia's website :(

Much better picture lol ;) Is that your sound card below? What make and model is that?

Lol, glad to see your swinging towards my way of thinking with the 980 :p It truly is a badass of a card! Keep posting what kinda results you get in other games too! 

And I got screwed in a very similar way by Scan lol. When I bought my Corsair SSD from the shop, they had an offer with it for a free copy of Acronis True Image. So when I opened it up and there was no code or anything, I e-mailed and got an almost identical response, the cheap buggers!

Much better picture lol ;) Is that your sound card below? What make and model is that?

Lol, glad to see your swinging towards my way of thinking with the 980 :p It truly is a badass of a card! Keep posting what kinda results you get in other games too! 

And I got screwed in a very similar way by Scan lol. When I bought my Corsair SSD from the shop, they had an offer with it for a free copy of Acronis True Image. So when I opened it up and there was no code or anything, I e-mailed and got an almost identical response, the cheap buggers!
Lol I got the same response when I bought my Samsung SSD from them bud. The sound card is an Asus D2x and is awesome, although I only use it for Dolby Live now, as my headphones use digital audio. Makes a big difference from onboard audio, but as stated before I'm an audiophile hence spending £200 on 2.1 Corsair speakers (http://www.corsair.com/en/gaming-audio-series-sp2500-high-power-2-1-pc-speaker-system which are amazing! And £250 on my headphones.

Hughesy said:

Lol I got the same response when I bought my Samsung SSD from them bud. The sound card is an Asus D2x and is awesome, although I only use it for Dolby Live now, as my headphones use digital audio. Makes a big difference from onboard audio, but as stated before I'm an audiophile hence spending £200 on 2.1 Corsair speakers (http://www.corsair.com/en/gaming-audio-series-sp2500-high-power-2-1-pc-speaker-system which are amazing! And £250 on my headphones.
Lol, I've looked at both that sound card and those speakers :p Love the look of the sound card, and I've definitely considering dropping some cash on one for myself, I might still one day but not just yet. As for the speakers, I looked at em, then decided that if they weren't 5.1 then I didn't want them. They're probably awesome, but I like my sound spread widely so I can tell which direction something is happening in game.

Ideally, I want the ones in the link below, but they're a little pricey lol. It's annoying because there isn't really any middle ground, you get ones between £50 and £100, then they shoot up massively with nothing in between. That between is where I would buy my speakers. Atm I'm using Creative T6300, and they're ok, but I definitely want more power. 

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/logitech-z906-51-surround-sound-speakers-500w-rms

As for headphones, I use F.R.E.Q. 7's, 7.1 virtual surround sound with a detachable mic lol. Pretty sweet, and they fit my ears perfectly with the piercings and tunnels in them lol.

Yea I was the same. Bought cheap ones, they were crap and then got a cheaper version of those Logitech speakers and they were ok, but the corsair 2.1 were on another level. I could still tell where stuff was coming from, and the audio was/is better than most surround sound speakers.

These headphones though are on another level compared to anything I've ever had, I became a lot better at fps due to hearing where others were. They are also the most comfortable headphones in the world, as most reviews say. Being wireless and working on all systems is a big plus.  http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/a50

Hughesy said:
Yea I was the same. Bought cheap ones, they were crap and then got a cheaper version of those Logitech speakers and they were ok, but the corsair 2.1 were on another level. I could still tell where stuff was coming from, and the audio was/is better than most surround sound speakers.

These headphones though are on another level compared to anything I've ever had, I became a lot better at fps due to hearing where others were. They are also the most comfortable headphones in the world, as most reviews say. Being wireless and working on all systems is a big plus.  http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/a50
Sorry not to respond to your whole comment dude, just figured out I am gonna have to buy new bloody speakers anyway now. Stupid ones I've got have buggered up AGAIN. The first set I got, one of the channels was DOA, so I sent em back and the replacement set was fine. Until about 2 months ago when the auto off feature stopped working and the speakers always stayed on. Not really a problem though that. Just decided to mess with my EQ though and the right rear/side satellite channel has stopped working. The speaker is fine, just that frigging channel doesn't work. Not particularly pleased!

Did have a set of Logitech 530 speakers I could've given you, but can't for the life of me remember where I put them. That sucks though mate, what do you think you'll get?
I prefer headphones now so don't really use the corsair speakers. 

Hughesy said:
Did have a set of Logitech 530 speakers I could've given you, but can't for the life of me remember where I put them. That sucks though mate, what do you think you'll get?
No worries dude, I've just switched my current ones to use only the left, right, center, and bass, and just switched them around so the sound isn't too weird. Just looking at the usual PC sites, and so far the ones below are what I'm thinking will work for me. My must have is a separate volume control (either cable with a volume wheel or separate box is good). Ideally I'd have liked one with optical in, but there's literally none for less than £200, annoying!

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/microlab-finecone-fc360-51-channel-pc-multimedia-speaker-system-100-watt-total

What about a home cinema system as they use optical, although then you'd be paying a lot anyway. With audio anything good costs a lot, I've made the mistake of buying cheap and getting crap audio. Mind you I take audio quality as serious as graphics. Think I'll always use headphones now though, as the audio is better than at a cinema. Watching films with them was a game changer, but not everyone likes wearing them for long periods.