Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Recommended Posts

Hughesy said:
What about a home cinema system as they use optical, although then you'd be paying a lot anyway. With audio anything good costs a lot, I've made the mistake of buying cheap and getting crap audio. Mind you I take audio quality as serious as graphics. Think I'll always use headphones now though, as the audio is better than at a cinema. Watching films with them was a game changer, but not everyone likes wearing them for long periods.
Already looked into that :p It does seem like a good option, but just about every single system comes with a DVD or Blu Ray player, and I don't need either. As for the cost, the trouble for me is I can find systems from 50-10 quid, then there's a jump up to over £200. I'd be willing to spend up to say around £140, but there doesn't seem to be F all filling that gap.
As for headphones, I can only really wear mine for a few hours before my ears start feeling cramped and irritated, plus I don't always like not being able to hear what else is going on around me lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, I won't be getting the ones above after all then. Seems the cables for connecting 5.1 audio are all RCA. Which to me says it's a TV 5.1 system, not a PC one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That sucks then. I like not being able to hear what's going on around me, as I'm an unsociable sob lol. Just tested Far Cry 4 and I'm getting a constant 60fps, and that's even with the new simulated fur setting (which looks awesome) and no stuttering :D Not sure what else to test, but seems to handle everything I throw at it. Probably could overclock the GPU further but don't really need to at the moment. The new twin Frozr is amazing, as even at 100% fan rpm it's barly audible, and at low load they stop spinning  B)

The fact this was one of the cheapest 980s at Scan amazes me, as just like the 780 version it's silent and overclocks like a you know what. The fact it has a red and white logo is an awesome bonus. Shame I didn't buy the red DS fans now, as even before this I was thinking about doing a red & white theme. It does look good in my PC and I'm glad I bought it. Might get rid of the Noctua cooler soon though, as its big and ugly. Mind you it's silent which is what I wanted. That's for another day though o:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hughesy said:
That sucks then. I like not being able to hear what's going on around me, as I'm an unsociable sob lol. Just tested Far Cry 4 and I'm getting a constant 60fps, and that's even with the new simulated fur setting (which looks awesome) and no stuttering :D Not sure what else to test, but seems to handle everything I throw at it. Probably could overclock the GPU further but don't really need to at the moment. The new twin Frozr is amazing, as even at 100% fan rpm it's barly audible, and at low load they stop spinning  B)

The fact this was one of the cheapest 980s at Scan amazes me, as just like the 780 version it's silent and overclocks like a you know what. The fact it has a red and white logo is an awesome bonus. Shame I didn't buy the red DS fans now, as even before this I was thinking about doing a red & white theme. It does look good in my PC and I'm glad I bought it. Might get rid of the Noctua cooler soon though, as its big and ugly. Mind you it's silent which is what I wanted. That's for another day though o:)
You get no stuttering FC4?! That seems like a miracle to me lol.  I still get it now and then, but if it's gone for you then I'll stick my clock speeds up so that they match what yours started at :p 

I think whats cool though, is your happy with your cooler, and I'm happy with mine :) With my fans hitting the same speeds as yours, the card is still not as loud as my HDD when playing games. The only time I can hear it is with all of my other fans between 700 and 900 rpm, and the game running from SSD. Didn't know yours stopped spinning though, that's pretty damn awesome :) Would that be because for such a badass GPU it has a ridiculously low TDP compared to its competitors? ;) 

Fully stuck now. Seems like the only speakers I can really find are Logitech Z506. I really want the Microlabs ones after reading some of the specs, but I really can't be bothered to get RCA to 3.5mm converters, without even knowing if that'll work or not. Time to do some Googling lol. If not, I can just walk into Currys tomorrow and pick up the Logitech ones, even though I'd rather get better ones than them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Hughesy Gonna order the ones I want and hope that RCA to 3.5mm jacks will work lol. People on Toms Hardware say it will so I'll blame them if it doesn't :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lol I dont like being wrong, but this time I'm happy to be wrong. The 980 is a badass card o:) I originally got my 780 for pretty cheap so it's not a massive loss. I love that I can overclock it so much like my 780, MSI gaming editions always seem to be able to do this. I'd say I've gained 10-15fps in some games from overclocking it, which comes in handy at 1440p. It's strange that it would've costed more to get the reference design over this, when they don't overclock as high. 

There shouldn't be any reason why an RCA to 3.5mm cables wouldn't work mate, so you should be ok. I think I used them for my brothers PC and they worked ok. That was for stereo though, but it shouldn't make a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hughesy said:
Lol I dont like being wrong, but this time I'm happy to be wrong. The 980 is a badass card o:) I originally got my 780 for pretty cheap so it's not a massive loss. I love that I can overclock it so much like my 780, MSI gaming editions always seem to be able to do this. I'd say I've gained 10-15fps in some games from overclocking it, which comes in handy at 1440p. It's strange that it would've costed more to get the reference design over this, when they don't overclock as high. 

There shouldn't be any reason why an RCA to 3.5mm cables wouldn't work mate, so you should be ok. I think I used them for my brothers PC and they worked ok. That was for stereo though, but it shouldn't make a difference.
I was right! ;) You can see now why I was always trying to defend it right? I honestly love mine, and even if it can't overclock like the one you have, it's not drastic enough that I won't be able to Ultra games ;) Plus in my eyes the reference design is the sexiest lol. That's why I didn't wanna wait to get it, wanted to snap it up early while the usual manufacturers were still putting out the reference. 

Nah, I think it should be ok. It's all ordered now and I'm looking at my bank account with a face like this :s  Ah well, payday in 8 days at least lol. Got it all set for Friday delivery while I'm off work. Right now I'm using my speakers set to 3.1, and it sounds so weak :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Running firestrike benchmark at the moment, I want to compare it to my 780. Cpu will be slower than my best score, as that was when I had watercooling and had it overclocked to 4.7ghz. I'll post the results in a bit. :)

Edit: Got 9621 with my 780, and 11817 with my 980, pretty big leap :D That's both with my CPU at 4.2ghz. When it was at 4.7ghz I got 9904.
My results are better than 97% of PCs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hughesy said:
Running firestrike benchmark at the moment, I want to compare it to my 780. Cpu will be slower than my best score, as that was when I had watercooling and had it overclocked to 4.7ghz. I'll post the results in a bit. :)

Edit: Got 9621 with my 780, and 11817 with my 980, pretty big leap :D That's both with my CPU at 4.2ghz. When it was at 4.7ghz I got 9904.
My results are better than 97% of PCs
I ran it too to see how I compared, and with everything stock I got 11145.

I was shocked and disappointed to be beaten lol :p So I've played around a bit with some OC'ing, and it seems I can't get over 1400Mhz without getting crashes. Both times I did my PC black screened Firestrike and restarted itself.
So I ended up going for 1379Mhz on the GPU, stock CPU still, and came out with a score of 12217 :) Pretty chuffed too that it didn't go over 71c to get that. So I'll have another play around with it tomorrow and see how it goes with a longer period of gaming, but for now I'm going to bed :p 

Oh and also better than 97% of PC's too ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@RevolvingPrawn‌ This is funny when you think about it> The day after I get my 980, there's more info on the 380x. It will use 3d stacked memory which is much faster than gddr5 memory, and bandwidth will be crazy fast. It could be the first card that can run games at 4k. That doesn't really bother me though, as I'll be sticking to 1440p for a long time yet.
As expected its going to use a lot of power, 300w :o
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/radeon-r9-380x-with-hba-high-bandwidth-memory,3.html

Im happy with my 980 though, just found it funny that info came out the day after I got a new GPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lol, it's always the way bud :p 

Just from that though, it may be crazy fast and run games properly at 4K, but the price is going to be huge for something like that! And 300w! AMD will be asking people to put nuclear reactors in their PC's to run their cards one day lol. 

I'm in roughly the same place as you though. I'll be sticking with 1080p for quite some time. When the day comes that I can get a monitor which has 144HZ at resolutions above 1080p for less than £400, I'll switch. But until then I'm happy using DSR with the 980 to eke out more sweet looking graphics :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm happy with my 980 and glad I was wrong about it. Mind you I did chuckle when seeing that on guru3d. I was never going to get a AMD GPU anyway, as I love all the extra stuff Nvidia offers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hughesy said:
I'm happy with my 980 and glad I was wrong about it. Mind you I did chuckle when seeing that on guru3d. I was never going to get a AMD GPU anyway, as I love all the extra stuff Nvidia offers. 
Lol, I'm glad you were wrong about it too :p I adore mine, and when I upgraded from the 770 to this I was a little worried that it might not live up to expectations, but it really has for me. Now there's only one game I've ever had problems running on it (you know which one lol) but I'll test it out tonight with the GPU overclock, and maybe I'll OC my i7 a bit too to see what that does for it ;) And what it does for my 3DMark score :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is this a good price Nvidia Geforce GTX650 2gb ddr5

ebay
Converting that to £££, it comes out at £53. The cheapest I've seen here is around £70 so it's not bad at all. 

Have a look at this card too, you'd get a fair bit more performance out of it for around $6 more. 
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-650TI-384Bit-DDR3-PCI-E-2-0-Graphics-Card-2G-3D-games-PC-/201168201508?pt=AU_Components&hash=item2ed68f2724

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is this a good price Nvidia Geforce GTX650 2gb ddr5

ebay
Converting that to £££, it comes out at £53. The cheapest I've seen here is around £70 so it's not bad at all. 

Have a look at this card too, you'd get a fair bit more performance out of it for around $6 more. 
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-650TI-384Bit-DDR3-PCI-E-2-0-Graphics-Card-2G-3D-games-PC-/201168201508?pt=AU_Components&hash=item2ed68f2724
Yep have that one saved aswell, whats better the GT or GTX?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is this a good price Nvidia Geforce GTX650 2gb ddr5

ebay
Converting that to £££, it comes out at £53. The cheapest I've seen here is around £70 so it's not bad at all. 

Have a look at this card too, you'd get a fair bit more performance out of it for around $6 more. 
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-650TI-384Bit-DDR3-PCI-E-2-0-Graphics-Card-2G-3D-games-PC-/201168201508?pt=AU_Components&hash=item2ed68f2724
Yep have that one saved aswell, whats better the GT or GTX?
They're both GTX ;) Which is better though, I'm not sure right now tbh. @Hughesy will probably be able to answer this better than me. Noticed that the 650 Ti is DDR3, and PCI-E 2.0, compared to the 650 being DDR5 and PCI-E 3.0. Not at all sure what difference that might make, but the 650 Ti should really be better in most other areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We had this conversation already. Personally I wouldn't go lower than a 760 for gaming, as min specs have increased because of the consoles. Getting a cheap gpu doesn't save you money, it means you'll upgrade more often. The 960 is coming out soon, and will be better than a 770 or about the same. Just look at reviews for 650ti and 6670 as I havent a clue. Not even sure a 6670 can even be classed as a gaming gpu. That card was mainly for HTPC systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Won't be paying around $1,500 - $2,000 for the 960 or 980 ;), the 6670 can play Batman Origins, Assetto Corsa on high fine just looking at upgrading to a better one. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wtf? The 980 doesn't cost £900 and the 960 would only be £170 or near that. If that's the sort of price they Cost in your country that's insane mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hughesy said:
Wtf? The 980 doesn't cost £900 and the 960 would only be £170 or near that. If that's the sort of price they Cost in your country that's insane mate.
Sorry around the $1000 over here on ebay, yeah mate don't i know it everything in this country is double or triple compared to the rest of the world.

Ebay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hughesy said:
We had this conversation already. Personally I wouldn't go lower than a 760 for gaming, as min specs have increased because of the consoles. Getting a cheap gpu doesn't save you money, it means you'll upgrade more often. The 960 is coming out soon, and will be better than a 770 or about the same. Just look at reviews for 650ti and 6670 as I havent a clue. Not even sure a 6670 can even be classed as a gaming gpu. That card was mainly for HTPC systems.
This site pretty much says the 650 is better than the 6670 for my price range :)


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×