Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=15683&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%20960%202GB&title=GeForce%20GTX%20960%20Final%20Specs%20And%20Release%20Date%20Revealed And there it is :) Sounds like a fairly decent card, and hopefully it'll have a sweet price tag.

Didn't you buy like a proper decent router though? :p I'm using Talk Talk's standard fibre router. Not sure how I'd check what ports it uses.
Yea an Asus one, was about £120 I think. Those standard routers are crap, had the BT home hub and it was crap. When you have fibre does it have a different connection to normal broadband using a phone line? I hope not otherwise I wouldn't be able to use my Asus when I get fibre.... :#

On checking your router, if you used a wired connection and right clicked on your PCs connection settings, it should say if it's a GB connection I think.

Just noticed using Nvidia Experience I can control my GPU LEDs. You can have it set to pulse to game audio which is pretty cool, but would be off putting I think. I just have it set to 100% brightness  :)

Hughesy said:
http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=15683&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%20960%202GB&title=GeForce%20GTX%20960%20Final%20Specs%20And%20Release%20Date%20Revealed And there it is :) Sounds like a fairly decent card, and hopefully it'll have a sweet price tag.

Didn't you buy like a proper decent router though? :p I'm using Talk Talk's standard fibre router. Not sure how I'd check what ports it uses.
Yea an Asus one, was about £120 I think. Those standard routers are crap, had the BT home hub and it was crap. When you have fibre does it have a different connection to normal broadband using a phone line? I hope not otherwise I wouldn't be able to use my Asus when I get fibre.... :#

On checking your router, if you used a wired connection and right clicked on your PCs connection settings, it should say if it's a GB connection I think.

Just noticed using Nvidia Experience I can control my GPU LEDs. You can have it set to pulse to game audio which is pretty cool, but would be off putting I think. I just have it set to 100% brightness  :)
Lol, they mostly are, but this one feels fairly well made so I just left it :p Ummm, I don't think it does lol. What they did was add another box where the line from the master socket goes in, then that pops back out into the router, and I pick up my Wi-Fi from that. I'm seriously low on knowledge when it comes to networks and connections :p 

Ok, so I can't check until I have it actually wired up?

Lol, I play around with that all the time :p Mainly to try and match it to my H100i led. It's so so bright at 100% though so I just use it at 20%. Don't get blinded that way ;)

Well you could check online if you type in what model it is probably.
The LEDs on my card is smaller so doesn't blind me. Love that my card idles at 34c without the fans spinning at all, pretty neat feature I think. Sometimes only one spins at a certain load, so when watching films (I think) only one spins. Not that GPUs are noisy when idle, but every little helps, and it makes the fans live longer if they aren't in use all the time. B)

Hughesy said:
Well you could check online if you type in what model it is probably.
The LEDs on my card is smaller so doesn't blind me. Love that my card idles at 34c without the fans spinning at all, pretty neat feature I think. Sometimes only one spins at a certain load, so when watching films (I think) only one spins. Not that GPUs are noisy when idle, but every little helps, and it makes the fans live longer if they aren't in use all the time. B)
Already tried that :p Talk Talk's website is very vague on information about their hardware too lol.
You're lucky then dude, if I look at mine at full brightness it leaves 'GEFORCE GTX' imprinted on my eyeballs for a short while haha :)
That's an awesome feature though bud, kinda wish mine would do the same! If they made that cooler in black and blue as well as red and blue I woulda been happy to grab one instead of the reference I think. The fan stopping is enough of a feature to have made me want it. At the moment mine idles at 33c with the fan spinning around 1100rpm, but like you said, if it could stop it'd make it last longer! The saving grace for me though is that with the 2 coolers I bought for the LED's, I also have 2 spare fans and they're pretty easy to stick in :) 

Just got my new speakers, and I'm utterly blown away by them! Vast improvement on my Creative ones dude :D The sub is about double the size (to the point I'm not sure it'll fit under the shelf where my current one is lol) and the whole thing feels top quality. Just picking up the box it was stupidly heavy compared to picking up the box of my old set. And the volume is crazy lol, it goes up to 80, but at 65 I can't go any higher for fear of bursting my ear drums, plus the sound doesn't break up at all. The clarity of them is awesome too, you can pick out the tiniest noises in the background of a recording where you couldn't with the Creative ones. £100 very well spent I'd say! Now it's time to pull everything out around my desk and try to fit them in! Got them set up on the floor for testing right now :) 

This is the size difference between the surround speakers lol.

Well this is just bloody wonderful. Utterly fuming right now.

So the speakers worked just fine when I plugged them in for the first time, so I spent an hour or so getting them set up, unhooking all my old speakers, and decluttering wires behind my pc. Turned it on expecting them to be working still, and of course, one of the bloody channels has stopped already. 
Last time it was the right rear/side channel that went, now with this set it's the goddamn left. I've even plugged them into my crappy spare PC (which has a 5.1 sound card) and it's exactly the same. 

The most annoying part is that if I switch the input to use a single input from my phone, every speaker works. Switch back to the PC and the left side shuts off. I just do not effing understand what the hell is wrong with this stupid thing. Pissed off to the point that I feel like throwing it all out the front door whilst shouting obscenities  loud enough to be heard from space.

I am so confused.

So I've spent about 5 hours trying to get these to work, and nothing was happening, left rear was still buggered. So I sent off an RMA to Scan, and while I left music playing I got the box ready to pack em up, pulled one of the cables out and it worked! Every bloody channel now works just from pulling out one of the actual audio cables lol. I actually cannot explain it, but it's all working properly and I now feel like a tit lol.

Edit: Just had a look, it seems I pulled out the cable that connects the sub to the PC, except the sub is still working without problems, still pumping out some chunky bass lol. I'm scratching both head and beard in wonder.

Seems my electronics curse has rubbed off on you, sorry bud :#
Glad you've got it all working though. Bet the sub isn't as big as the Corsair Sp2500 speakers I have. Take a picture of it and I'll do the same so we can compare sizes. (that sounds like I'm talking about something else) :#

Lol, maybe for a few hours :p Things have been pretty good for me recently when it comes to tech, but this last week has just given me a bunch of issues. Sorted out a bunch of things today though as well as the speakers so hopefully I'll get some smooth sailing again! It's under my desk right now and I can't be bothered to whip it out (also could be talking about something else) but it's making a humming noise that I think could be to do with it being close to my plugs and UPS, so when I move it tomorrow I'll post a pic.

The hum is probably electrical interferance. Lots of lower level audio gear can have that, my Logitech sub did it. There's no real fix for it, so I hope moving it helps.  :)

Hughesy said:
The hum is probably electrical interferance. Lots of lower level audio gear can have that, my Logitech sub did it. There's no real fix for it, so I hope moving it helps.  :)
Lower level my ass :p These speakers kick the crap out of the Creative ones I was using lol.

Hughesy said:
Lower level my ass :p These speakers kick the crap out of the Creative ones I was using lol.
That may be true, but in general they are lower level considering the prices of high end stuff. They have better sound quality but that doesn't mean they're  Insulated as well as other speakers. Creative are a good brand, with a long history in PC audio. Not saying what you bought are rubbish in anyway btw. Just search about it and you'll see what I mean. Micro lab isn't a high end brand for audio, neither are they a crap brand.

Edit: Could even be interferance from the onboard sound from your PC. Does it happen no matter what it's plugged into?

@RevolvingPrawn‌ Just noticed I can't actually do 4K with DSR, as my res is 2560x1440 I can't get the exact same pixels. It's either just above or just below lol. Not a big deal, I only just noticed though.

I'm glad I got the MSI Twin Frozr gaming 980 though, as there's no differance in noise when gaming compared to idle. It is more impressive than I thought, not as big as a performance gain compared to going from a 670 to 780, but everything else is much better. I also like using the new AA setting called MFAA, you need to use 2xmsaa for it to work but it gives the same results as 4xmsaa without the performance hit. The only downside is that not that many games support it.

Edit: Would start a new post but don't want three posts in a row. This forum is so quiet. Turns out I can run Batman Origins at 4K :o That surprises me considering it uses PhysX, this GPU is awesome!

Ok thought I'd start a new post as its a different subject. I'm overclocking my GPU even more. Got GPU core upto 1500 now B) Seems stable at the moment.

@Hughesy Corsair are finally updating the H110 to H110i GT :) It looks pretty sweet, love the look of the new pump and how the LED looks, only trouble is Corsair don't make proper 140mm SP fans with the changeable rings, so unless they do it won't be something for me in the future.

Yea I was going to buy it last week, but thought I'd already spent a lot on my PC. :#

Hughesy said:
Yea I was going to buy it last week, but thought I'd already spent a lot on my PC. :#
That and the fans were my thought :p It is damn sweet though! Hearing rumours too about a H100i GTX... If it happens my wallet may not resist ;)

Other aio coolers have an addon for GTX cards, problem I have with it is they only just cool CPUs as it is, so having it cool a GPU is too much. If they have separate loops for each then that would be fine, the ones already out still use a fan on the GPU to cool the VRMs.
 No need for a 980, especially mine as its silent and cool. They should make them full water blocks so they cool everything, and only have a fan on the radiator.

I look forward to what Corsair do though. :)

Edit: Think I read what others do already wrong. They don't cool both CPU and GPU, just one or the other. This is what I was on about. It's actually compatible with some Corsiar aio coolers.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-008-NX&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2262

Edit 2: Not sure if they already released it, but this was from June last year. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8105/corsair-presents-the-hydro-series-hg10-liquid-gpu-cooling-bracket

Edit 3: Yes they did release it. You need to buy a separate aio cooler for it to work http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/cooling/gpu-cooling

Hughesy said:
Other aio coolers have an addon for GTX cards, problem I have with it is they only just cool CPUs as it is, so having it cool a GPU is too much. If they have separate loops for each then that would be fine, the ones already out still use a fan on the GPU to cool the VRMs.
 No need for a 980, especially mine as its silent and cool. They should make them full water blocks so they cool everything, and only have a fan on the radiator.

I look forward to what Corsair do though. :)

Edit: Think I read what others do already wrong. They don't cool both CPU and GPU, just one or the other. This is what I was on about. It's actually compatible with some Corsiar aio coolers.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-008-NX&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2262

Edit 2: Not sure if they already released it, but this was from June last year. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8105/corsair-presents-the-hydro-series-hg10-liquid-gpu-cooling-bracket

Edit 3: Yes they did release it. You need to buy a separate aio cooler for it to work http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/cooling/gpu-cooling
Lol, already know about that :p It's a cool (pun intended) idea, but I'm not keen on a GPU water cooler still needing the fan on the GPU itself. If they could make a GPU only pump/block that covered the important bits and went to a rad like the one from the H80i, I'd have already bought it lol. 

Time to start our own company making AIO GPU watercoolers? ;) Revusey for the company name? Lol.

I'm sure if we did that, we'd get liquidated....... (Bad pun) o:)

My GPU is so quiet I wouldn't feel the need for it. I'm not sure what Corsair will do, but I bet it'll be hybrid, so still using a fan for VRMs. When I had watercooling I had a full waterblock. The reason I say they will only do a hybrid one, is because it'll be compatible with many cards. If it had a full block they would need many different blocks for each GPU, thus being too exspenisve to produce. ;)

Edit: Had to edit my post, as I put my when I meant many....lol

Hughesy said:
I'm sure if we did that, we'd get liquidated....... (Bad pun) o:)

My GPU is so quiet I wouldn't feel the need for it. I'm not sure what Corsair will do, but I bet it'll be hybrid, so still using a fan for VRMs. When I had watercooling I had a full waterblock. The reason I say they will only do a hybrid one, is because it'll be compatible with many cards. If it had a full block they would need many different blocks for each GPU, thus being too exspenisve to produce. ;)

Edit: Had to edit my post, as I put my when I meant many....lol
Well, lets make many different blocks for our system and sell it around the same price as the H100i :p We could do say the top 5 cards from AMD and Nvidia, that way you'd only need 10 different versions, job done :) No one would really watercool anything lower in the ranges, and once a new card comes out that joins those top 5, drop the one considered lowest out of them after a period of say 3 months, so that it could be announced it was being dropped (unlike the companies now who just drop a product with minimal warning).

In a perfect world that would be great B) If Corsiar do that, then we could sue them for stealing our/your idea :p

@RevolvingPrawn‌  http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/windows-7-and-8-users-can-upgrade-for-free-to-windows-10.html     :D 

Just been reading that and came to mention it here lol. 

Now for the dark side of it though... It's only a one year upgrade, and the question of a subscription based Windows was dodged. I can totally see them doing something that shifty if I'm honest. If the price is reasonable then great, won't be a problem, but if they decide to charge anything like what they do for the Office package then I'll stick to 8.1 I think.

Edit: And my fears have not come true lol. Nice that it's a one year upgrade, not nice that it'll be full price at the end of that year. I'd rather do the discounted upgrade like I did with Windows 8. http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

Just been reading that and came to mention it here lol. 

Now for the dark side of it though... It's only a one year upgrade, and the question of a subscription based Windows was dodged. I can totally see them doing something that shifty if I'm honest. If the price is reasonable then great, won't be a problem, but if they decide to charge anything like what they do for the Office package then I'll stick to 8.1 I think.

Edit: And my fears have not come true lol. Nice that it's a one year upgrade, not nice that it'll be full price at the end of that year. I'd rather do the discounted upgrade like I did with Windows 8. http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/
If you read what I posted, it seems you just have to upgrade within a year, not that it's only a year subscription.
"The offer, which is limited to the OS's first year of release, may aid its adoption."

One cool feature is you can stream your Xbox One games to your PC, not sure how well it'll work. That's probably the closest you'll get to playing Forza on PC lol.