F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Yea, so what it means is that it's only a year from the day it's released, and not from the day you install it right? Definitely a good thing, but I'm not keen on paying £70-£100 for an OS I'd already been using for a year :p 

Definitely a cool feature :) I'll probably use it mainly so I don't have to switch input and my audio cables around.

Yea, so what it means is that it's only a year from the day it's released, and not from the day you install it right? Definitely a good thing, but I'm not keen on paying £70-£100 for an OS I'd already been using for a year :p 

Definitely a cool feature :) I'll probably use it mainly so I don't have to switch input and my audio cables around.
No from what I understand you have a year to upgrade to 10, and after that the deal ends. You don't have to pay for it once you've upgraded it.
Once windows 10 comes out, if you install within a year you never have to pay for it. Show me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything about having to pay for it. It's the same as 8 was, but this time it's totally free. ;)
I think you're misreading articles bud. 
"A year after Windows 10 is first available, it will no longer be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users. Microsoft will then sell Windows 10 the same way it has sold past versions of Windows."

Lol, yea I might be misreading it, either that or I'm just expecting the worst from Microsoft :p What I thought it meant was you do the upgrade and then a year later a message pops up saying it's time to pay for it. If it truly is free as long as you upgrade during year one that'd be amazing! I'd get everybody in my family to do it, and do every computer we have at work :)

Lol, yea I might be misreading it, either that or I'm just expecting the worst from Microsoft :p What I thought it meant was you do the upgrade and then a year later a message pops up saying it's time to pay for it. If it truly is free as long as you upgrade during year one that'd be amazing! I'd get everybody in my family to do it, and do every computer we have at work :)
Indeed but I do agree with you it does sound too good to be true plus I'm happy with my Win 7 anyway right now. I ujmpde on Vista when that came out so I'm not keen on repeating that mistake.

Nope that won't happen, once you get it, it's free. They need to do this as Win 8 adoption was only 10%. They don't make much money from individual users, they make it from pre built PCs from Manufactures. 

PC Gamer:

"After that year is up, nothing will happen to your Windows 10 license. If you do not upgrade within that year, however, you will have to pay for an upgrade. The offer expires after a year, not the upgrade."

@Hughesy So Scan are selling the GTX 960 for £160 :) Damn sweet price for a card that can apparently overclock to 970 performance levels! Definitely a card @Herby007 should have a look at for his future upgrade.

Hughesy said:
Wtf? The 980 doesn't cost £900 and the 960 would only be £170 or near that. If that's the sort of price they Cost in your country that's insane mate.
@RevolvingPrawn‌ So I was £10 off B) Damn I'm good...hehe @couger1981‌ should get that card, unless the price is much higher where he lives. It won't get near a 970 even overclocked, it has a lot less cores and only 2GB Vram. Will be a great card for its price though.

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Wtf? The 980 doesn't cost £900 and the 960 would only be £170 or near that. If that's the sort of price they Cost in your country that's insane mate.
@RevolvingPrawn‌ So I was £10 off B) Damn I'm good...hehe @couger1981‌ should get that card, unless the price is much higher where he lives. It won't get near a 970 even overclocked, it has a lot less cores and only 2GB Vram. Will be a great card for its price though.
Everybody should get that card :p For the price it's pretty awesome, it rivals an AMD R9 285 for 1080p gaming, which is sweet! 
And that's why I said apparently ;) Read it on some random site where the guy reckoned it would overclock that far. I suppose on some undemanding games it could, but with modern titles it's unlikely.

Tell you what man, if my contract is renewed at the end of March I might consider a 960 along with new CPU and mobo for my crappy second PC :)

Why do you need a second PC? I pretty much have one, but my brother has it as I give him all my old parts. Soon he'll have my 780 whenever I get it back. His CPU will be a bit of a bottleneck though I think, as its only an AMD 955 black edition. I won't be giving him my 3570k anytime soon though, as I'll probably have it for another two years. I won't upgrade until DDR4 is cheaper and pretty much standard.

Well I've got my main PC in my bedroom, and my poo PC made from old/spare parts hooked up in my living room to the TV. I use it for movies, a bit of light gaming, and streaming games from my main PC. It's definutely showing the age of some of the parts though, specifically the CPU, and the RAM, it's running DDR2 still right now. 
I do have an SSD in it but it's just not as speedy as I want it to be.

Agreed on DDR4. It's the same thing as 4K to me. Until it's a fair bit cheaper and more of a standard I won't be going for it.

You looked at the Microsoft Hololens btw? I WANT ONE lol.

Yea the Hololens seems cool, but until I know more I'm not sure what it'll be used for. PC Gamer are getting one at some point, so I'll see what they say about it :)

Lol, its not because of Minecraft I want it :p I don't enjoy Minecraft at all. Did you watch the video or just look at the thumbnail? ;)
I'd already seen it, was trying to be funny :# Ive seen videos but until actual people have tried it (instead of PR fluff) I can't say how well it'll work. Microsoft are going to show/say how amazing it is, but in reality it might not work as good as it looks. Just being cautious so I don't get too excited. :)

It's too late for me excitement wise :p Oculus Rift is something I've been eyeing up for months now, but I won't get a DK2, don't wanna pull the trigger on one until the consumer product is released. And now with Hololens been announced, it's another thing to add to my wishlist ;)
Really wish I did have a DK2 right now though, seen some vids of people playing Alien Isolation with it and I wanna poop my pants as much as they were!

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
There about $395 over here.

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Ahem ;) http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1732&products_id=30580&zenid=09200ce4676359ea2db776b3134d13dd

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Ahem ;) http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1732&products_id=30580&zenid=09200ce4676359ea2db776b3134d13dd
So that's about £155 so cheaper than here....

Edit: Just looked at some reviews, and after overclocking you only get +4fps so it won't get near a 970, but I never expected it to. Great card for the price. :)

Yup, it's about £15 cheaper than the RRP here :) 

Watch the TTL review of it bud, he had the Asus Strix one and I can't remember how many extra FPS he got but he properly gushed about how well it overclocked :) Some of the benchmarks he showed were pretty awesome.

Here it is, worth watching purely for his funnies. He says about upping the volts that it "absolutely flourished when you give it a little bit of a tickle on the old testicles" haha B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgkzNevBOpQ

I've already seen how far each card overclocks at Guru3d, and they only gain around 4fps even though they overclock quite far ;) I'll watch it though, as it sounds funny.

Hughesy said:
I've already seen how far each card overclocks at Guru3d, and they only gain around 4fps even though they overclock quite far ;) I'll watch it though, as it sounds funny.
Bit of a shame they only go that far, but hey, still a rather nice card for the money! :)

Just fixed the humming issue on my speakers btw lol. Seems the cable I pulled out that made the system work didn't like being pulled out. Whenever I plugged it in it stopped humming but then the far left speaker stopped working. So I cut apart these USB fairy light things I got for 99p at Xmas, stripped the end of the wires and used electrical tape to connect it to the end of the problem RCA jack, then the other end I just tapped to the metal casing of the amp, and voila, hum is gone :)

Oh, and then I fixed the USB back onto the fairy lights because fairy lights are cool ;)

DIY bodge job at it finest B)  Nice one mate, and yea fairy lights are awesome! 

Another benefit to having this 980, as it doesn't produce much heat my room doesn't get so hot B) Could've done with it over the summer when my room was hot, and I was going to be air-conditioning...