F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Batman Origins keeps crashing on me again, and that's without overclocking my GPU. It's crashed 4 times in the last 10 minutes :# It's a pretty buggy game, as I've had many weird things happen. I defeated a boss, and then was talking to Gordon and suddenly it went back to me fighting the boss I just defeated.... You can tell it wasn't developed by the same people as the two other Batman games. If it crashes again I'll give up finding all the data packs and move onto Asylum.

Edit: So far deleting my graphics settings again has done the trick. Not sure what causes the problem, but as I said its a pretty buggy game. Got 98% of the Enigma datapacks now, so I'm nearly done. Got to complete it, otherwise all the hours I spent finding them will be for nothing.

Edit: Yes I bloody did it, I found all 200 Enigma datapacks!  :D  B) Now I can move on. There is a new game plus mode, but I'm not doing that.. Actually there's one more thing to do, might as well do everything after coming this far..

Anyone know what's going on here? Happens in-game, but mainly on trasitions to cut-scenes etc and often on menus. See towards end of video, bottom half screen goes black. (3-monitor (with drivers), GTX970, i7, 16GB). Running low-ish graphics but at 60fps. Have tried everything with V-sync etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb4-NEzeE-g&list=UUYtAiO4eqv5NgvtCPNBSNYQ

I'm not sure, that's a strange one :o My guess is that it doesn't like triple screens. Have you tried contacting their support? I had to back along and they were very helpful, but for something like that I'm not sure they'd know what to do. Have you tried using different drivers?

I don't use triple screens, just one 1440p monitor so not really sure why that would happen. I have seen others say using three screens won't work at all for them in that game.

It's a fair few games, though this one's the worst. One of the reasons some people have problems with this game is the unusable menus which need moving onto the central monitor by adding following lines to the .ini file:-
FE_SCREEN_HEIGHT = 1080
FE_SCREEN_LEFT = 1987
FE_SCREEN_TOP = 0
FE_SCREEN_WIDTH = 1987

where 1987 = bezel adjusted single screen width.

I will try other driver, thanks Hughesy. 

If it's happening then it's got to be something weird going on with your PC :# Hope trying another driver works, otherwise I haven't a clue what would cause that to happen, very strange issue. You could ask someone on a tech forum like guru3d.com as someone might know what would cause that. There's some very clever people on that site. :)

My Geforce driver only 2 months old, but they just brought out new driver for GTX 960. Installed and now glitch-free, stutter-free, surround vision at 60fps. From thinking technology wasn't quite up to this, I'm now gob-smacked. Luckily new racing games (including F1 2015 :)) have the 3-monitors programmed properly without the fisheye, which you get used to but could still do without.

Cheers Hughesy

@RevolvingPrawn‌  You know that chirping noise my X1 made, well my PC just made the same noise.  I heard it the other day, but thought I was just imagining it as it only lasted 1-2 seconds. It just made the noise and again only lasted 1-2 seconds, can't be my GPU as the fans aren't spinning. If it's not any other fan it must be the HDD. As the noise was exactly the same I'm guessing it must be the hard drive.

At the moment it's not a constant noise so doesn't bother me, and it doesn't make it long enough for me to find out what's making it....lol. I checked to see if it was when the GPU fans completly stop, but doesn't seem to be that. My PC has been on all day and it's the first time it's happened today, hope it's not something that's going to get worse.
If it's the WD Black then it's not a massive deal, as it wouldn't cost loads to get a new one. Could even be one of the DS fans.

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn‌  You know that chirping noise my X1 made, well my PC just made the same noise.  I heard it the other day, but thought I was just imagining it as it only lasted 1-2 seconds. It just made the noise and again only lasted 1-2 seconds, can't be my GPU as the fans aren't spinning. If it's not any other fan it must be the HDD. As the noise was exactly the same I'm guessing it must be the hard drive.

At the moment it's not a constant noise so doesn't bother me, and it doesn't make it long enough for me to find out what's making it....lol. I checked to see if it was when the GPU fans completly stop, but doesn't seem to be that. My PC has been on all day and it's the first time it's happened today, hope it's not something that's going to get worse.
If it's the WD Black then it's not a massive deal, as it wouldn't cost loads to get a new one. Could even be one of the DS fans.
Most likely to be a HDD bud (though it could be one of the DS's, no doubt about that!) but unless it's a nasty grinding noise I wouldn't worry about it ;) One of my HDD's for months would make this weird high pitched noise that would last about 6 seconds, and it would do it 3 times a day. Every time it did it I'd freeze and worry something was gonna die on me lol, but it's been a few weeks now since I last remember hearing it. It may still be doing it but I've tuned it out, who knows! 
My point being though, unless it starts to get worse, louder, or you start encountering problems, don't worry about it :) Plus if it isn't constant then just tune it out for the few seconds it does happen.

Here is mine's!
My System Spec's

NZXT Phantom
Asus z97-PRO (Wi-fi)
Intel i7 4790k (4 Ghz)
(-overclocked at 6.67 GHZ)
Corsair RM1000(1000W)
Corsair Vengeance (2400 Mhz)
Corsair cooler h100i
GTX 780ti
Asus VG248QE (3D-144hz) &
SAMSUNG LT24D390 (2K)
More details click the video below-->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM26UNeOqhw&list=UUXqZ6XdI7Tf5_zL2mpan47Q

So after having a long conversation with @RevolvingPrawn‌ about Dying Light, I finally bought it. There's loads of people with bad performance as it doesn't seem to be that well optimized. The single biggest fps killer is view distance. I think I have it at 40% and it pretty much stays at 60fps. It's a very CPU limited game, so having my CPU overclocked to 4.2ghz seems to be helping a lot.

Seems like a really good game, much better than Dead Island and a lot more serious. :D

@RevolvingPrawn‌ This game just keeps getting better. Do you know how the game saves? I want to quit to upload a few pics, but not sure when it saves, think it's when that White thing in the corner flashes.

Yup, when that little random square thing pops up it's saving. Comes up pretty often so quit out whenever you want, it's what I did last night lol. Just putting some cable tidy things on my power cables then I'll be getting back into the game too :)

I think it actually saves as you quit. here's the zombie I drop kicked into spikes. Also pics of foliage on low vs high. These areas are small so it doesn't make much difference.

Low:

High foliage:

Ah, that'll be sweet if it does :) And going by your comparisons, deffo gonna leave foliage on low, barely makes much of a difference considering most of the map is concrete jungle :p 

Just about to test a small change that should get rid of the light film grain effect, if it works and you want it I'll pop the link up :)

we already have a PC thread you might want to check it out

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/75/the-pc-thread#latest

Na I like the film grain bud, it's not OTT like some games, it adds to the grim feel of the game I think. Plus I don't want to try any mods with this game, as its not the best port as it is, something small could mess the game up  :# Ive pretty much played it all day, it really is a great game. Think I'll just post here instead of the Game thread, as we both have it on PC, so it makes sense. Would could try multiplayer at some point, not sure how it works as I never played with other people on Dead Island.

Not a mod, it's just slightly editing a few numbers with notepad :) It's made the game look way better for me, never liked film grain on any game ever so I always have to turn it off lol. 

Maybe I'll be a zombie and invade your game one night lol :p 

Not a mod, it's just slightly editing a few numbers with notepad :) It's made the game look way better for me, never liked film grain on any game ever so I always have to turn it off lol. 

Maybe I'll be a zombie and invade your game one night lol :p 
Don't both have to have be a zombie mode? Don't think I have it as I didn't preorder it. It annoys me that devs do that, when others pay the same even if they don't. I think if they need an incentive, they should just give you 10-20% off the price.

I don't normally like film grain, but in this game is very subtle. It may be a small change, but I've seen other small changes like that in other games cause problems. If it's an easy fix, they really should've added an option ingame to change it, not sure why they didn't.

You should have it dude, when they did the last minute date change they also said that Be The Zombie would be available to anybody playing now, not just those who pre ordered :) Reckon it'd be fun, but hopefully we can set it up as like private matches so no bumholes could join and act like douches!

Night is pretty hard, but it's more fun because the Volatiles are deadly! Loving this game despite its issues :)

Oh well that's good then :)  I got killed just now by one of the Volatiles. I went to loot a drop, when I got there, there were loads of zombies, opened it but had no room lol next thing I know I had nowhere to run and got killed :s Those things spook me out, never felt like this while playing Dead Island. Already played it for 6 or 7 hours. Steam says 10, but I left the game on while doing other things, as I wasn't sure how it saved at first. Defiantly worth the £29.99 I paid, and to think I wasn't going to buy it due to optimisation problems.

The two setting I turned down don't actually change the graphics much at all. It uses all my Vram, but I read it caches it and uses when needed, so you get virtually no pop in textures. Don't think I've seen a game use so much normal ram though, as it goes over 6GB, not all of that is the game but it's the highest I have ever seen it. Won't be buying more than the 8GB I have, as that would be a waste of money. Once DDR4 is standard, I'll go upto 16GBs.

Back home and straight back onto Dying Light.  :D Just waiting for night fall, as there's a mission to turn power back on which enables a trap and kills lots of Volatiles. Seems like you can do in day time, as it still shows up on the map. Night is challenging so bring it on. B)

Hughesy said:
Back home and straight back onto Dying Light.  :D Just waiting for night fall, as there's a mission to turn power back on which enables a trap and kills lots of Volatiles. Seems like you can do in day time, as it still shows up on the map. Night is challenging so bring it on. B)
yeah I love playing my spacey games at night as well looks much better.