F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Hughesy said:
Back home and straight back onto Dying Light.  :D Just waiting for night fall, as there's a mission to turn power back on which enables a trap and kills lots of Volatiles. Seems like you can do in day time, as it still shows up on the map. Night is challenging so bring it on. B)
I did that one last night :) First part of the mission is pretty easy, you have like east and west power stations or omething, you can do those during the day no probs, the third one pops up after that, and that's the one you wanna do at night.

@RevolvingPrawn The mission where you turn power on to power up a trap that kills Volatiles, I found a way to get loads of survivor points. I just jump over the fence once I finished the mission and kill a few zombies, then get the Volatiles to chase me and simply jump back into the safe place. You do get electrocuted, but you don't lose much health.
Done it 3 times so far and have 2500 survivor points, and if I keep doing it through the night I'll get quite a lot. The amount of times I've lost those points from jumping and it not grabbing onto something, it's only fair I get them back by doing this. I won't be doing it again after this though, as its not very fun.

Point farmer :p I might do it a little if I find a mission that works. So far I've died 3 times and it takes 800 points away (1 death wasn't my fault) so I'd like those points back!

Point farmer :p I might do it a little if I find a mission that works. So far I've died 3 times and it takes 800 points away (1 death wasn't my fault) so I'd like those points back!
I've died 4 or 5 times, and three were because I didn't land where I thought I would :# Those rubbish bags should be bigger o:)
Really though I need to get my power rank up, it's only level 4. Agility is level 7 as that seems to be the easiest to level up.

I like the size of them :p They're about equal to AC's hay carts, plus I like that it isn't auto and you have to aim yourself :)

If you didn't lose 800 points per death, I'd jump off the top of the tower constantly looking for a pile of rubbish bags, they ShadowPlay it and YouTube lol. Might start a second game if it's got multiple save slots so I can do that!

Think my power is 5, and agility is 6 I think. I need to do more free running. Or get an exercise bike, work those legs, pump it pump it.

I like the size of them :p They're about equal to AC's hay carts, plus I like that it isn't auto and you have to aim yourself :)

If you didn't lose 800 points per death, I'd jump off the top of the tower constantly looking for a pile of rubbish bags, they ShadowPlay it and YouTube lol. Might start a second game if it's got multiple save slots so I can do that!

Think my power is 5, and agility is 6 I think. I need to do more free running. Or get an exercise bike, work those legs, pump it pump it.
Well it's not really like AC as you don't have to aim to jump in them. They are a decent size, but I suck especially when I'm running from Volatiles  :(
Just trying to get my power rank up, as its so low compared to my other ranks. 

Edit: I finally found a gun B) Firepower is 244. Going to keep it until I find another, and the give the worst one to that guy. It's worth over $9000.

Where did you find it? I want one! :p 
In a police van, it won't be in the same van in in your game though. Think I lock picked 5 or 6 vans before finding one, and all the vans are "very hard" locks to pick. Loot is random for each game, so you just have to look in Police vans until you find one. ;)

Hughesy said:
Where did you find it? I want one! :p 
In a police van, it won't be in the same van in in your game though. Think I lock picked 5 or 6 vans before finding one, and all the vans are "very hard" locks to pick. Loot is random for each game, so you just have to look in Police vans until you find one. ;)

yeah I agree Loot drops do tend to be random in gameseven in differen playthroughs as well which makes it more interesting. it's like that in DAI as well although I think the dragon drops are supposed to be more or less the same each time. (Based on what I've read on the Bioware forums anyway.)

we already have a PC thread you might want to check it out

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/75/the-pc-thread#latest
 labis7sk said:
OK ty mate
I've merged them for you :) 

Oh yea I meant to say last night that @labis7sk has a full on badass rig right there. Some crazy specs and a bonkers overclock! Other than your GPU, you beat @hughesy and I on everything else :p 

Oh yea I meant to say last night that @labis7sk has a full on badass rig right there. Some crazy specs and a bonkers overclock! Other than your GPU, you beat @hughesy and I on everything else :p 
What does he have? And bonkers overclock, how high is it? Can't really go too high with a 3570k due to heat issues, especially now I don't have a water loop. :(

Hughesy said:
What does he have? And bonkers overclock, how high is it? Can't really go too high with a 3570k due to heat issues, especially now I don't have a water loop. :(
Go back one page and 3rd post down. 6.67Ghz on an i7 4790k! B)

Hughesy said:
Go back one page and 3rd post down. 6.67Ghz on an i7 4790k! B)
I'm sorry but there's no way he has it overclocked to 6.67Ghz, especially with only using an aio cooler. Unless he can prove otherwise (and I'd love to see it) then it's not true. This proves my point. http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intel-core-i7-4790k-devils-canyon-overclocked-to-6ghz-with-all-cores-active/. It would need liquid nitrogen to even be possible! and would not be possible to game doing it, only benchmark.

Not sure if anyone has seen the AMD fixer videos before, but there's s new one. If you haven't heard about the problems with the 970 not being able to use its 4GB of Vram, then the last part won't make sense. I love my 980, but always find these videos from AMD funny.

http://youtu.be/IztvE7KYNfI

Reminds me a bit of Microsoft's Cortana adverts :p 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYZ5gAQMJg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUJfVZzxu3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjifAejDVCM

Technically though, it is a 4GB card :p It just doesn't use the last 0.5 properly.
It's not that it doesn't use it properly, it was designed that way. The Vram is split up into 3.5 and 0.5 partitions, and once it starts using the 0.5 bandwidth speeds crash. Really they should've marketed it as a 3.5GB card, and Nvidia knows it as they've said anyone that's wants a refund can get one. Here's part of an article from guru3d.

"Nvidia needed to tackle that problem and did so by splitting the total 4GB memory into a primary (196 GB/sec) 3.5GB partition that makes use of the first seven memory controllers and associated DRAM, then there is a (28 GB/sec) 0.5GB tied to the last 8th memory controller. Nvidia could have and probably should have marketed the card as 3.5GB, or they probably could even have deactivated an entire right side quad and go for a 192-bit memory interface tied to just 3GB of memory but did not pursue that as alternative as this solution offers better performance. Nvidia's claims that games hardly suffer from this design / workaround."

Thing is, Nvidia have said they're working on a driver to help the performance of that 0.5, so even though it isn't as fast and probably never will be even with driver updates, I still class it as a 4GB card ;)

Plus it's still pretty damn good regardless, and well worth the money be it 3.5GB or 4GB :)

Thing is, Nvidia have said they're working on a driver to help the performance of that 0.5, so even though it isn't as fast and probably never will be even with driver updates, I still class it as a 4GB card ;)

Plus it's still pretty damn good regardless, and well worth the money be it 3.5GB or 4GB :)
Yea it's still a great card, but they did lie, as there's other specs they lied about. This article explains it all, and if you skip to update three it shows what other things they lied about or miscommunicated. http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/does-the-geforce-gtx-970-have-a-memory-allocation-bug.html

Its a very complex issue, and it's not really something they can fix as such, due to the way they gimped them. They could make it slightly better, but they won't get the 0.5GB to run at 196GB/sec vs 28GB/sec. It's still very much a good GPU, but they should've told customers about it before release, and are now very much in damage control. 

Read that yesterday, we frequent the same websites :p 

No denying they lied about the specs, and if I'd got the 970 instead of the 980 I probably wouldn't be hugely pleased either! Definitely complex though, I understand most of it but when they get fully texhnical it goes over my head a little bit lol. No denying though that they'll never get that 0.5 up to the same speed as the 3.5, they'd need to recall every card for actual hardware changes right? And that's extremely unlikely to happen. 
But in my mind I'm still calling it 4GB :p It does have the 4, only your performance will be poo if it accesses the 0.5 lol. Definitely sucks for anybody who bought the card expecting to be able to use all of the vram at it's fullest, and fair play to any of them who decide to get a refund I'd say. Would consider it myself too in their shoes.

@RevolvingPrawn Here's an odd one, when I turn view distance up to 100% my GPU usage is 60% and around 30fps, but when I turn it down to 20%, usage goes upto 80%,... Really strange, and as I still get dips under 60fps, I'm not sure why it's not using my GPU fully... :|

Oh dear AMD http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-raptr-gamer-community-extension-got-hacked.html
They laughed at Nvidia's mess up, so it's only fair if they return the favour. They try to copy Nvidia and can't even do that without messing something up.

Oh great, I actually have a Raptr account (used it for tracking my console gaming time and achievements) so now I have to change my password on every other website? Wonderful, so far with DPD cocking me about and this, it's been a great start to my day off!