Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Oh great, I actually have a Raptr account (used it for tracking my console gaming time and achievements) so now I have to change my password on every other website? Wonderful, so far with DPD cocking me about and this, it's been a great start to my day off!
Having a great day aren't you... :#

Hughesy said:
Oh great, I actually have a Raptr account (used it for tracking my console gaming time and achievements) so now I have to change my password on every other website? Wonderful, so far with DPD cocking me about and this, it's been a great start to my day off!
Having a great day aren't you... :#
Fortunately I don't so I'm fine

Have you seen this @Hughesy? I so badly hope they do it! I'm not sure how massive a difference it'll make, but either way, it'd be a sweet way to get new tech for free in a software package :) 

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=15867&game=None&title=Leaked%20Nvidia%20Driver%20Reveals%20Software-Based%20G-Sync%20Support

Also, I'm seriously tempted to buy some Corsair Vengeance 2100's right now... Having to use a long extension on my Freq 7's because when I plug it in with USB it sends my PC into a spasm of always playing the USB disconnected sound, and the mic won't work on anything but Skype which is stupid. Plus the bloody cable keeps getting stuck under my chair wheels and that annoys me more than anything else.
The only thing putting me off the 2100's is the price :# 

That would be cool if they released that via software, as there's no way I'm changing my monitor. I imagine those who paid loads for a Gsync monitor won't be so happy.

Those headphones a pretty cheap really for wireless. Not something I'd ever buy due to them being USB, but I'm fussy when it comes to audio. Shame the Astro a50s aren't in your price range, as they are awesome, probably the best thing I've ever bought for gaming. Not just that but they are the comfiest headphones in the world, my ears don't get hot wearing them which is a huge plus.
I've heard good things about those 2100 headphones though, so for the price they're probably very good. ;)

I went through several headphones before I found the perfect set, the price was (so I thought at the time) crazy for the A50s, but now I would've paid even more for them.

Same on that, the only way I'd change my monitor is if there was a 1440p, 28"-30", 144hz, Gsync and Freesync enabled, blue LED's one for under £350 ;) My current monitor is as close to perfect for me right now as I could find, so only something matching those specs above would do lol. 
But hell yea to it being software, and it's definitely a blow for those who bought a Gsync monitor, but if Nvidia can enable it for anybody using one of their GPU's, it'll help people forget about the 970 debacle for a while right? ;)

Wireless USB, probably won't make much difference, but as long as the software is better than the rubbish Madcatz software for the Freq 7's though then I'll be happy! The software for Madcatz always pops up saying I installed the 32-bit software on a 64-bit OS, except I didn't, and even when you do get it working it has like 3 options, none of which really effect anything lol. Plus, like you said about hot ears, the Freq's properly squeeze your head and they use some fake leather stuff for the cups, so after an hour or 2 with them on my ears are red and burning! Not all that comfortable at all. I figured they'd break in eventually when I got em but they just haven't.

Astro A50's are most definitely out of my price range ;) They do look awesome though, it's gotta be said! The annoying thing on the price of the 2100's, the Corsair RRP is £87, but the cheapest I can find from somewhere I'd actually trust for buying is £105... They're end of life though the blue and black ones so I'd need to buy a set pretty damn soon. I shouldn't really, I might be out of a job come April, but the comfort of my ears when gaming is clearly more important than that right? :p 

Yeah I know they're wireless USB, which is why I wouldn't buy them myself. I'm fussy with audio, and it does make a differnce over analogue or optical. With optical you get no interference, whereas USB can suffer from that. Getting as good as audio I can get is just as important as graphics (Christ thats a lot of "as" in one sentence) :# 

Let me know how you get on with them bud. Are they only compatible with PC, or do they work on consoles like my A50s?

Hughesy said:
Yeah I know they're wireless USB, which is why I wouldn't buy them myself. I'm fussy with audio, and it does make a differnce over analogue or optical. With optical you get no interference, whereas USB can suffer from that. Getting as good as audio I can get is just as important as graphics (Christ thats a lot of "as" in one sentence) :# 

Let me know how you get on with them bud. Are they only compatible with PC, or do they work on consoles like my A50s?
Must be your favourite word :p

Hughesy said:

I would like an optical set, and an optical set of 5.1's too :p I just couldn't find any that would really fit the budget for me. The weird thing on mine is with my Freq's I get interference using the 3.5mm to USB thing that came with it, (no interference on USB) but with my battered old £30 Sony headphones don't get interference using the 3.5mm lol. 

Not compatible with any consoles, no, but I'm keeping the Freq's to replace the Sony headphones because they can't handle bass at all any more, and they work fine with the X1 :)
Will deffo let you know how I get on with them, read some reviews and they all say that the virtual 7.1 is awesome, could barely notice it with the Freq's and there wasn't a setting in the software for it like there is in the Corsair software, so hopefully they'll be good and comfortable!

It's the same with my A50s, it's virtual surround sound but actually you get better audio. Headphones that have many drivers inside give worse sound due to them being so small, so virtual is the only way to go imo when it's done right.
 Corsair do have a good audio department, my SP2500s are the best 2.1 speakers I've ever had. The sound is so clean and crisp, yet the bass can shake the house with no distortion, so I think those headphones will be very good. :)

Edit: @RevolvingPrawn Wow wow wow this just got me excited http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/both-mantle-and-dx12-can-combine-video-memory.html
Finally going SLI is an option. At the moment if you had two 980s, each card would only use 2GB each, but with DX12 they act as one big card, so you would have 8GBs instead of 4 with two 980s. I hope devs start using DX12 faster than what they did with DX11. I think they will, due to Xbox One using something similar to it.

Glad to know you think they'll be good :) I'm definitely expecting more from these than I got from the Freq's. Madcatz make some crazy looking things which work pretty well, but they don't work perfectly, and sometimes the style seems favoured over  function with them. Found that with both my R.A.T. mice and the F.R.E.Q. headset. Absolutely love my Corsair mouse and keyboard though :) 

Talking of bass, I keep having to turn the bass down on my new speakers, so much more powerful than my old ones!

Once DX12 drops, it may be time for a second 980 ;) I thought a few months ago that if my contract gets renewed I'd buy another 980 to celebrate... I might still do that knowing that I'd only have to wait a number of months for it to work properly :) Really really really hope my contract is renewed lmao :D 

Hughesy said:
It's the same with my A50s, it's virtual surround sound but actually you get better audio. Headphones that have many drivers inside give worse sound due to them being so small, so virtual is the only way to go imo when it's done right.
 Corsair do have a good audio department, my SP2500s are the best 2.1 speakers I've ever had. The sound is so clean and crisp, yet the bass can shake the house with no distortion, so I think those headphones will be very good. :)

Edit: @RevolvingPrawn Wow wow wow this just got me excited http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/both-mantle-and-dx12-can-combine-video-memory.html
Finally going SLI is an option. At the moment if you had two 980s, each card would only use 2GB each, but with DX12 they act as one big card, so you would have 8GBs instead of 4 with two 980s. I hope devs start using DX12 faster than what they did with DX11. I think they will, due to Xbox One using something similar to it.
If this is true then that's good for me as I use duqal gpu's admittedly 770's but still could come in handy.

@Hughesy Just got the headset, unboxed it all, checked it was charged up, plug in the receiver, turned on the headphones, and the YouTube video I was watching started coming through them straight away :smiley: 
No messing around like I constantly had to do with the Freq's, and the software has a bunch of different modes and EQ's, far better than the 3 pointless options in the Madcatz software lol.

Headset itself is way more comfortable, the ear cups are larger and don't press down so hard against the side of my head, plus they're made of memory foam rather than crappy fake leather. Gonna have to try em with a game in a bit, but so far with music and movies I'm liking them a lot! I think the only bad thing I could say right now is they're heavier than the Freq's, but not so much that they'll be a problem :)

Just walked around my whole house to test the range, only at the furthest point away does the signal drop out (which is unfortunately where my kettle and tea making bits are lol) but I think with some strategic USB dongle placing I might be able to sort that :)

Haha that's where my A50s tend to lose signal. Once I get to my kettle & coffee machine, the signal becomes a bit patchy sometimes. Glad you like them mate, it's no surprise they're better than anything made by Madcatz ;).  
There's only one thing I hate about my A50s, and that's once they finish charging they don't stay powered by USB. So if I leave them plugged in over night, the battery is flat by the morning.

New info on AMD R300 series. Only the 390x and above is new, the 380 & 380x are just rebranded R200 series, but will rival Nvidia 980. Prices should be interesting. http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-radeon-r300-grenada-is-380xfiji-is-390x-and-bermuda-is-395x2.html

Swapped out my blue (and dying) LED's for white ones, love how all of the blue parts look now, the blue LED's just kinda washed the whole thing blue, but this way it looks cooler to me B) It's brighter in person, but this is the best shot I could get without the lights looking purple.

@Hughesy I always forget my Nexus has a camera ;)

Just got an automated email from Overclockers saying my 780 should be dispatched to me soon. It's been 28 days already, so I'm bloody glad I bought a 980 as I would've gone mad without a GPU for this long.

Hughesy said:
Just got an automated email from Overclockers saying my 780 should be dispatched to me soon. It's been 28 days already, so I'm bloody glad I bought a 980 as I would've gone mad without a GPU for this long.
Lol, I'd forgotten you sent it off! That's a crazy long time, I'd probably have gone mad without a GPU for that long too.

Hughesy said:
Lol, I'd forgotten you sent it off! That's a crazy long time, I'd probably have gone mad without a GPU for that long too.
Think I went about a day without my GPU until I decided to buy a 980

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZY9Z40?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

This one It's just a basic simple keyboard really not a gaming one like my old one. But my old one was dying and was starting to cost me a little bit in my games so needed to change it. So far it's working quite nicely although the lead could do with being a little bit longer compared to my old one.

@RevolvingPrawn I'm in a bit of shock at the moment. Got my replacement GPU today but it's not a 780, it's a MSI Gaming 970 :D My brother will be pleased. 

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn I'm in a bit of shock at the moment. Got my replacement GPU today but it's not a 780, it's a MSI Gaming 970 :D My brother will be pleased. 
Lol, what the hell?! Screw your brother :p Dedicated PhysX all the way ;) That's awesome though, maybe they had no 780's left and decided to upgrade you to something similar? I've heard Corsair do the same if you RMA a product that they don't make anymore.

Hughesy said:
Lol, what the hell?! Screw your brother :p Dedicated PhysX all the way ;) That's awesome though, maybe they had no 780's left and decided to upgrade you to something similar? I've heard Corsair do the same if you RMA a product that they don't make anymore.
If I was Evil I would keep it >:) But I'm too nice. He hasn't paid for anything in his PC, but I always feel I owe him after he saved my life when I got stabbed in the head by a psycho. It seems like the card came from Overclockers as it was in one of their boxes, I suppose MSI pay them or something.  His CPU will be a bottleneck though I think, as its only a AMD 955be.