Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Well, that's fair enough, I suppose he deserves it :p With my bro, about half of his parts are things I bought him or handed down to him, but I do it because he's poor (kids) and can't afford nice things.

Pretty cool of Overclockers if it was them :) Most important question though, did you get Haribo in the package? Definite bottleneck though, his CPU only performs on par with an FX4100, which would make a decent laptop CPU ;) I'm guessing he'll have your i5 when you upgrade?

Well, that's fair enough, I suppose he deserves it :p With my bro, about half of his parts are things I bought him or handed down to him, but I do it because he's poor (kids) and can't afford nice things.

Pretty cool of Overclockers if it was them :) Most important question though, did you get Haribo in the package? Definite bottleneck though, his CPU only performs on par with an FX4100, which would make a decent laptop CPU ;) I'm guessing he'll have your i5 when you upgrade?
Haha pretty much the same as my bro, has a kid and a wife, both are very expensive o:) I got two packs of Haribo B) Yea he'll have my i5 when I upgrade, not sure how long that will be. I want to wait until ddr4 ram, but it will be an exspenisve upgrade when I change, as I'll have to buy CPU, Mobo and ram. That might take too long to come down in price though.

Theres no rush though, as my bro isn't all that concerned about graphics.

Very true! Luckily he doesn't have a wife, but he isn't getting as many shifts at work as he wants, so he's pretty much strapped all the time, and he has to borrow money from the rest of us lol. He's lucky I get paid enough to have plenty spare each month for buying gadgets, fun things, and helping him out!

I got 3 packs of Haribo when I got my fan controller from them B)

I'm of the same thinking right now, until those parts drop to what I'd consider reasonable pricing I'll be sticking with what I have too. The only thing I would consider doing is going for a 4790K, but if I can get my OC stable at 4.4Ghz (gonna have another crack at it this weekend) then buying one would actually be a pointless upgrade and a waste of money. It might give me better temps, but that'd probably be about it.

No rush for me either though, not while my CPU is still a beauty, and not until I think it's showing it's age :p 

Awesome way to reuse old PC parts :D 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1QeeB6uNWM#t=159

Even better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kQYRquhcXU

And one for the Star Wars fans :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7s1yNajJKg

Just found out that work might be providing me with a brand new laptop tomorrow to use instead of the crappy desktop PC I'm using :)

I actually bring my own laptop from home at the moment, so if I don't have to anymore it'd help! No idea on the specs or anything yet though... 

DX12 is looking very tasty! http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/directx-12-is-gonna-make-a-difference-alright.html I'm hoping it'll become the norm due to it being similar to Xbox One API. 

Looking awesome for DX12! Imagine the performance boost we'll get using our 980's :) 

Just got back from where the head honchos work, they did give me a laptop! CPU-wise it's nearly as good as my own laptop, the only things that don't match is mine has a bigger screen, 8GB RAM, a GT 740M, and my SSHD is 1TB :) Still, pretty happy with what they've given me!

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/dell-latitude-e5440-intel-core-i5-4210u-4gb-500gb-sshd---8gb-flash-14--windows-7-professional-64-bit-9LKG.html

And CPUs, as they are really badly managed with the current API, that's why the new consoles can still handle so much even with weak CPUs. 

@RevolvingPrawn  Wow, a 4K 27inch monitor for £263 :o. http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/newsletter?productId=62778&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=28%22+Dell+Ultra+HD+4K+LED+Monitor+-+P2815Q&utm_campaign=newsletter200215

Shame no GPU can handle 4K at 60fps. Mind you until Windows scales properly it wouldn't be usable, as everything would be too small. Programs like Steam would be unreadable. At my res 2560x1440 writing is small, when I recline my chair I can't see very well. Not a problem in games, but for general use 4K would be hard, PC Gamer did an article about it a while back. Maybe Windows 10 will fix that. 1440p is amazing compared to 1080p anyway, so I won't be going 4K for a long time yet.

Edit: Just noticed why it's so cheap, it's one of the early 4K screens that runs at 30HZ
:# Mind you at the moment you can't really get more than 30fps when running at that res, but Windows would be painful at that refresh rate, especially for you.

Especially for me indeed! It's a good price for someone who's happy at 30fps, and I guess if you set your game res down to 1080 or 1440 you could get away with it, but for the cards you and I have running at 30fps would suck lol.

Might not post much today, got my PC apart ready for the Commander Mini to go in, but I'm feeling ill so it's a slow day lol.

Especially for me indeed! It's a good price for someone who's happy at 30fps, and I guess if you set your game res down to 1080 or 1440 you could get away with it, but for the cards you and I have running at 30fps would suck lol.

Might not post much today, got my PC apart ready for the Commander Mini to go in, but I'm feeling ill so it's a slow day lol.
Goodluck with it mate, I look forward to seeing it working :) hope you feel better soon, maybe you will once you've finished your PC. Still haven't decided about changing back to my 600T case, I might get it down in a sec though :)

Haha cheers dude, at the moment I'm planning to sit it on top of my ODD and use the included cable extensions. Just gotta check all the cable lengths to make sure. Probably won't feel better today though, feels like the same thing I had over Xmas and that lasted over 2 weeks :#

Commander Mini is up and running :) 
Got it to sit on top of my ODD no problem, the included fan extension cables helped with that, all the fans control from the software no problems, the LED's are crazy bright lol and the colours from them are brilliant. 

I did run into an issue though. It wouldn't pick up my H100i using the Link cable to the Mini, so I had to reconnect it using the USB header and sacrifice the 2 USB 2.0 ports I thought I'd gained back again lol. Not a big issue though, all my external storage is USB 3.0 so it won't change anything. 

Oh and something awesome, Corsair Link V3 was released today, so I got the newest software the same day I put the Mini in! Perfect timing lol.

Just changed my case to the 600T, pics when I recover lol. Managed to wedge one of the 140mm DS fans in above DVD drive. I also have two 200mm fans and one 120mm fan. The front 200mm fan is a blue Cooler Master as its better than the standard Corsair 200mm, but I only had one of them. So I now have a blue & white theme going on. I can barely move my back now though, but I feel it was worth it as its a much better looking case. I'm not using the mesh side panel though (which would've let me fit four 120mm fans)  as the window looks better. 

Going to test game temps now, but idle temps are fine. The good thing with is case is it has an inbuilt fan controller that I can control with a dial on the top of the case.

You have seen me use it before, as its the one I used when I had the H100i cooler. With this case I can't buy that new version, as this only supports upto the H100i size, as the new one uses 140mm fans.

Pics. The bottom is hidden, but looks messy in one of the pics. It's like that because of the broken sata port on the HDD, I had to place it in such a way so it wouldn't come out, so the SSDs had to be put close due to wanting to only use one cable for them. There's no HDD cage inside to improve airflow, and I don't actually know where I put it.

Well the 200mm fans have a higher cfm than smaller fans right? So cooling shouldn't really be bad at all, plus I imagine they're massively quiet! Looking forward to seeing how it looks! I've recovered enough from mine to take pics and upload lol.

I call this, Spider-Fan.

This one reminds me of Renault's best livery.

Someone think of a name for this please!

And this is my colour at idle. I linked them to my 980 so they gradually go blue the closer it gets to 80c :)

My Pics should be above yours mate, having trouble getting them to work for some reason, but should be ok now I hope...
They do have a higher CFM, but the standard Corsair ones that came with it are awful, really noisy. The Coolermaster one is awesome though, might get another one. Your PC looks awesome mate, I love the green, I had loads of green LEDs in my PC ages ago lol.

Missed one of the pics out, its the one I was on about in the original post showing the HDD/SSD.

Hope you can see them :# Cooling is worse than my other case. Knew it would be as I had over 9 fans in the other one, and this case is a lot smaller, it's a midi vs Full tower. Only have 4 case fans (one wedged above the DVD drive. GPU tops out at 77c but that's fine, as I have it set to target 80c and that's without changing the fan cure in afterburner. Might take out the Corsair 200mm fan as its annoying me lol.

Edit: Let me know if you can see my pics bud. The case is whiter than it looks in the pics. Might get this when its out.
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/hydro-series-h100i-gtx-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler
Then I won't need to get a new 200mm fan.