F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Here's another pic next to my 27inch 1440p screen, looks so much better than my Switch 810 (which was bought just for water cooling) Temps are slightly higher but that doesn't bother me. Just need to either buy a new 200mm fan, or get the Corsair H100i gtx

All things going well I should be ordering this tomorrow  https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-184-CS     :D As long as my house doesn't decide to fall to bits..... :# @RevolvingPrawn 

Hughesy said:
All things going well I should be ordering this tomorrow  https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-184-CS     :D As long as my house doesn't decide to fall to bits..... :# @RevolvingPrawn 
Such a sweet case that one :) Quick question, I know you have 2 SSD's but I can't remember how many HDD's you have? Mainly because you can hang the HDD cage from under the ODD cage in that case like you can with mine, gives you more space down low for unrestricted airflow :)

Hughesy said:
Such a sweet case that one :) Quick question, I know you have 2 SSD's but I can't remember how many HDD's you have? Mainly because you can hang the HDD cage from under the ODD cage in that case like you can with mine, gives you more space down low for unrestricted airflow :)
I tend to remove the HDD cage in all my cases so airflow is better. I don't actually have a cage in my 600T at all, as I was modding it for watercooling before I bought the Switch 810. I have 1 HDD, although the Sata port is broken (just the metal pins left lol) so I hope it survives changing cases again. I love that it has room for three SSDs behind the motherboard tray, makes it easier for cable management. I wish I could get the Corsair aio cooler at the same time. What's happened with the H110i gt as I don't see it listed anywhere? I know the H100i gtx is out soon, but as I'm getting that case I can fit the bigger rad in it. 

I really wish I still had proper water cooling, as it would look awesome in the 780T, and it can fit two 360rads, a 120 & 240, that would be some serious cooling.

Edit: Just noticed its larger than the Switch 810. The 810 is an ultra tower and the 780T is a full tower. Strange that the 780T is bigger, I wanted something smaller than the Switch 810, but as it looks much nicer I'm probably still going to buy it. What I'd really like is for my 600T to support more fans, I mean it does but then you lose the window.

Aha, fair play then, where do you plan on putting the HDD? And when you say behind the motherboard tray, do you mean the brackets which show them off? Those were one of the main reasons I bought the 750D :) I've got 5 drives in mine but I only have to use 1 HDD cage thanks to those.

The H110i GT won't be on sale again until April at the earliest, they did a recall of all units that any sellers had in stock, and to anyone who may have the issue. Apparently if the AIO went below -10c during shipping, there was leaks. So anybody who noticed fluid in the packaging is urged to send it back right away. Anybody who has one though and didn't find any coolant in the box/bag doesn't need to though, unless they live somewhere the weather can get below -10 lol. They're making some changes to it and it'll be on sale again when Corsair are happy it won't leak.

Haha yea, the 780T isn't small! Just from looking at the internals I've a feeling that it might be bigger than my case, will have to check measurements and find out :p 

Edit: Oh man, you're in for a handful lol. It's a bit bigger than mine, and I actually struggle to manhandle mine around with everything in it :p 

Scroll down to where it says smart storage and there's a pic showing where the SSDs go. http://www.corsair.com/en-au/graphite-series-780t-full-tower-pc-case It's not really behind the mobo tray, but at the back of the case. It also has two removable HDD cages, so I'll probably keep one in if I can get the Sata cable to stay in. :# And yea it's quite a bit bigger than your case, hence being able to fit loads of rads for watercooling ;) It's only slightly smaller than the 900D.

Even though it's bigger than the NZXT Switch 810, it's not as heavy. I just wish my 600T had more places for fans without using the mesh side panel, as then it would be perfect for me. Temps are ok in the case now, but fans are set at a higher rpm, so even though it's soundproofed it's louder than my other case was. I like to have many fans, but all set at a low rpm. After you have a full waterloop you realise how quiet a PC can be.

Yea I seen that about the coolers, but didn't realise all the ones instock got recalled. Sucks really as I wanted to buy one, gives me time to set some money back.

I love the button on the 780T, it says start/stop like a Supercar. B)

That's the bit I meant, I have 4 of those in my 750D ;) And my HDD cages are removable too, I just chose to hang 1 of mine under the ODD bays so I could put 2 SP120's on the floor of the case instead of the cages. If you put it hanging under there it keeps the bottom front 140mm fan completely unrestricted so your GPU gets more air. As for the bigness, it mainly looks to be because the 780T has a slightly sunken PSU bay, and it has a raised top so you can mount the fans as if they're external but they aren't, it's a pretty awesome feature that! We both have the same amount of expansions slots though ;) 

And same for me, the more fans the better, but at lower RPM to keep noise down :) The only time I have them speed up is when I'm gaming, otherwise my fans are all set to 700rpm. 

Yea, they figured it's better to be safe than sorry, plus this way it costs the sellers rather than the customers to send any faulty units back. I'm visiting the Corsair forums a couple times a day now so just keeping up with it as it's happening.

Haha, shame they aren't gonna be making the yellow 780T now, would have been like a proper supercar that way!

Ah I just wrote a long post and the page froze and I lost everything :s I'll start again but keep it shorter.

Yea the yellow one would match my motherboard but I don't like yellow much, I bought it due to it being an awesome mobo. http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/Z77_MPOWER.html#hero-overview There's not much yellow so it won't show much when I get the watercooler. When I get my next CPU I'll get another MSI motherboard, but the gaming one which is red and black like my GPU.

I haven't had a black case since this one http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/cm-690-ii-ver-2/ although it was a window version. Originally Corsair were going to release the 780T in 5+ colours but didn't in the end, but I bet they do special edition ones in the future.

My ram is blue as when I bought my 3570k I had an Asus board which was blue. I made a rookie mistake and tried to re fit the CPU (after changing coolers) whilst my PC was vertical, and ended up bending all the pins :( Never said about it at the time, as I had nobody to talk to about PCs until you built one.

Not long ago I fell out of love upgrading my PC didn't I...lol as I was like you buying new things all the time, but then I lost my mojo. I think I got the bug again after seeing you buy so much stuff, and building a great looking PC. :)

Lol, I thought your PC was warmer in that case? How did it freeze? ;) 

What annoys me is that there wasn't a lot of blue and black mobos released with Z97, though they are coming out now. Thing is though, I've not found any that match my specific needs like my current Z87 can whilst looking as good. There's just nothing lol. If we have to switch to a different socket when it gets to upgrade time, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some with good colour schemes and the features I consider essential for me!

They might do, but it depends if they can match the paint on the metal and the plastic. That's why the yellow one was cancelled, they decided they couldn't get the colours to match closely enough to their standards. Shame that they don't take the same level of pickyness with some of their software and firmware!

I actually remember you bending your pins! It was right around the time I got the FX8320 I think, when I was right near the start of my build.  I remember thinking you'd maybe buggered your CPU, because I'd only seen AMD's pins on the CPU rather than on the mobo like Intel. You had to get a new one in the end then?

I still have that mojo lol. Only I'm running out of things to buy! That's why I've turned a speculative gaze upon watercooling properly :) Though I am still tempted to buy an Air 540, new mobo and CPU for my crappy second PC, that thing is so damn slow lol. If I upgrade it I could actually use it for game streaming to my TV, it's a bit too janky for that right now. So many plans, so little time, slight lack of funds lol. 

Yea I had to get a new mobo as every single one was bent. I'd actually done it with my AMD 955be ages ago, Obvoiusly the pins are on the cpu with AMD. I managed to bend them back, and it still works today in my bros PC.

This will give you some ammo, the page actually froze using my IPad  :# It was only that tab though as everything else was fine...

I have to admit, I've done the same to the FX8320 twice now :p Trying to remove the Alpenfohn cooler that's on it it just pulled the CPU out with it even though the little arm was locked down. Luckily it only bent 2 pins slightly, but it's a stupid design, Intels bracket is way more solid. It still works fine too though,  my stepdad owns it now.

One more bullet for the magazine haha ;)

Oh yea, was gonna say yesterday, I reversed my rear exhaust fan to make it intake now, mainly because it's something I've seen Linus and TTL do when using AIO coolers. Any thoughts on it? I ordered a dust filter which should have come in todays post, plus it puts my PC back to a positive pressure setup rather than equal. I definitely noticed more and quicker dust build up after adding the other 2 fans to my H100i which put it to equal.

I'm not really sure, it kinda messes up the airflow path, but suppose using the H100i it helps feed it cooler air from outside the case. The only thing is all the hot air from inside the case is going through the H100i, shouldn't be too much though as your GPU blows most of its heat outside the case. The only other thing is that fan could now be sucking the hot air from the GPU right back into the case (due to hot air rising) The only way to find out is by testing it for a while, if temps go down even a bit then it's a success. 

Hughesy said:
I'm not really sure, it kinda messes up the airflow path, but suppose using the H100i it helps feed it cooler air from outside the case. The only thing is all the hot air from inside the case is going through the H100i, shouldn't be too much though as your GPU blows most of its heat outside the case. The only other thing is that fan could now be sucking the hot air from the GPU right back into the case (due to hot air rising) The only way to find out is by testing it for a while, if temps go down even a bit then it's a success. 
Yea, the hot air going through the H100i is a slight worry, can't deny that dude. And I thought the same about the hot air going from the GPU straight into that fan and back inside. So far I've only tested it at idle, and temps-wise it's gone down maybe 1c, haven't tried it gaming yet though. Think I normally sit around 59c on the most demanding games, so if it goes up I'll be turning it back around again, that's for sure!

Still it's fun messing with airflow, well in my weird head anyway o:) What I'd really like is a smoke machine, so I could see what the airflow is like using coloured smoke :) Tried doing it with my E cig as it produces a lot of vapour, but it's not as visible as a smoke machine would be. Something like this, although this is a simulation, it's the first video that popped up.
 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BaZJ2cJS6tM

Btw order dispatched B)

Hughesy said:
Still it's fun messing with airflow, well in my weird head anyway o:) What I'd really like is a smoke machine, so I could see what the airflow is like using coloured smoke :) Tried doing it with my E cig as it produces a lot of vapour, but it's not as visible as a smoke machine would be. Something like this, although this is a simulation, it's the first video that popped up.
 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BaZJ2cJS6tM

Btw order dispatched B)
Nah it is, mainly because you can try to get optimal flow for best cooling lol. And too bloody right on some smoke to see! I would try it myself, but I googled about it once and pretty much every reply said not to blow smoke from a cigarette into the PC lol. 
Someone should tell my bro that though, he smokes with his PC on the desk right next to him and when I had his R9 270X from him, the gunk that was around the I/O exhaust and fan edges was gross, some nasty brown crap that had a similar consistency to ear wax... So I decided I'm not gonna try blowing smoke into my PC after seeing that :p 

Awesome B)

Vapour is different though, it doesn't clog your PC or lungs up o:) When I was younger I was friends with a rich kid, he lived in a huge house and had his own music/disco room. He had a smoke machine, wish I still knew him so I could borrow it.  o:)

New case finished, if there's some pics you want adding let me know. I feel like crap, took me hours lol One pic showing the top looks dirty, but it's not, not sure why it looks like that. 
The case looks awesome! Just got to test temps. Using the lowest fan settings it's silent, so I'm hoping I can run with that.

In picture 5 have you put something over the HDD cage? Looks really good though (minus the Noctua ;)) The fans it came with in the front are red LED SP140's yea? I got 2 blue ones in the front of mine and they are really good fans! 

As for the dirty pic, the grilles have a finer dust filter type mesh just underneath right? Looks like the flash from your camera is just bouncing off it is all :)

In picture 5 have you put something over the HDD cage? Looks really good though (minus the Noctua ;)) The fans it came with in the front are red LED SP140's yea? I got 2 blue ones in the front of mine and they are really good fans! 

As for the dirty pic, the grilles have a finer dust filter type mesh just underneath right? Looks like the flash from your camera is just bouncing off it is all :)
Yea I have the cage soundproofed, using what was in my 600T, due to my HDD humming which my ears really pickup on. I'll be buying some new stuff so it doesn't look so bad, but I had to do something otherwise the hum would've drove me insane. 
 I think they're AF14's but I'm not sure, they're great though even having them set to the lowest setting on the fan controller. Sadly the Noctua stays until Corsair sort their aio cooler out.

This shows the start/stop button better, and the fan controller.

Know what you mean on that! You can't see it in any of the pictures of my PC, but I went nuts on soundproofing my HDD cage too :p The other thing I do is set my HDD's to turn off after 2 minutes of inactivity, definitely helps!
Actually yea, they probably are AF140's, my rear fan is a non LED AF140 and they really are great fans :) 

I'd say the only thing that could make that front panel better is if the LED's were RGB, otherwise it's pretty damn sweet!

Yea but red is my favourite colour so I wouldn't change it, but it would be a cool feature. Didn't think of setting my HDD to turn off after so long, cheers for the tip :) So far playing AC Unity temps are better than my Switch 810 was. I have my GPU fans set to auto, so they're about 70% when temps reach 75c, but that's with case fans set to the lowest setting. Seems to stay at 74c, I might enable my own fan curve as the Twin Frozr is silent even at 100%. CPU temps are around 10c lower than the 600T. I'm just testing the case fans on high, but I'll probably keep them on low or medium. This case is amazing though, Corsair really make the best cases.

Another pic, this case looks evil, that red strip at the top along with the red fans really look fantastic, but like you said I think they missed a trick, as with RGB it would be awesome especially if it be controlled with Corsairs software like you have. 

Are those moccasins and jog pants? Somebody call the fashion police! At least we don't have to for your case though ;)

No worries on the tip, I usually leave my PC on (it sleeps after 30 mins) when I go to bed so having HDD's humming away is a no no for me, that's why I set them to 2 mins :) And good to hear about the temps dude, I love that new case feeling when you're comparing everything to the old and it's just better in every way lol. And damn right on Corsair! I've looked at other cases, but I always end up back on the Corsair site when browsing just because they're so much better! The only thing I do wish they'd do again is a covered PSU area like the 800D had, only with that area blanked off from the side window so you can't see the PSU and the tangle in front of it. If I do ever get the 900D one of the first things I do will be to fashion some kind of vented panel to sit over that area lol. 

The only trouble with it being RGB and controlled by Link would be that you'd have to plug it into one of your USB headers. Not a problem if you have a bunch, but it can be an issue, that's for sure. For me the ideal solution would have been making that red strip along the top into a button, so each time you press it the LED colour would change :)

Don't have a clue what moccasins are, but no they're slippers, I always wear jog pants now as with my condition I need to be comfortable :p Can't wear jeans anymore :#
My motherboard has two spare USB headers, I tend to use USB3 now any way which uses a different header :) Like you I wish this case had a blanked off area for the PSU, some reviews said that also. It is more hidden than most cases though, as it kinds sinks down lower and has a curved area due to the shape of the case, I'll try taking a picture of it tomorrow. I might doing the same as you though, make some kinda panel to hide it all.

The red is a lot deeper colour than that picture shows, it's definitely the best case I've had, yet not the most expensive.