Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

got my SSD installed now haven't played any games yet but the performance has jumped up from 5.9 to 7.7/7.8

mine look like that

Sabertooth X79
i7 3930k
8X4GB DDR3
Creative Xi-Fi Titanium HD
7970GHz clock with a Accelero Cooler
1000W PSU
6 Hard drives & a BluRay Burner

It's not like it is new. :P

Deffo needs a dusting ;) Nice specs though! And I like the case too. How does that CPU cooler perform? I was looking at the single fan version before the one I got.

The Zalman CNPS12X work as advertised. It cool very wheel, but the only issue is the clearance for the dimm stick. They need to be not be higher than the normal usual profile. Buying overclocked ram stick can be an issue.

I'm a novice at building computers lol  currently running:

windows 7 32bit (computer is hating it atm hahaha)
I5 processor
16GB RAM
nvidia geforce gtx 660
and a hard drive from the stone age lol :P

rates in windows at 7.3 processor 7.3 memory 7.9 graphics 5.9 hard disk lol really needa get windows 64 so i can use the whole 16 gb of ram and need a new hard disk, bring on pay day for a computer overhaul lol

@R4pp3r

You can download a legit copy of Windows 7 64 bit and use your current 32bit version key to activate it

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

@R4pp3r

You can download a legit copy of Windows 7 64 bit and use your current 32bit version key to activate it

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/
i would do that if i could fine the version key off my 32 bit hahaha

edit: never mind magical jellybean fixed that lol cheers joe

R4pp3r said:
@R4pp3r

If its a legit key (not judging), use this http://download.cnet.com/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder/3000-18487_4-10079600.html

(make sure to 'decline' the adware stuff stuff during installation 'custom' install)

R4pp3r said:
@R4pp3r

If its a legit key (not judging), use this http://download.cnet.com/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder/3000-18487_4-10079600.html

(make sure to 'decline' the adware stuff stuff during installation 'custom' install)
yeah its legit haha just did what u said :P wooo 64 bit here i come :D

R4pp3r said:
I'm a novice at building computers lol  currently running:

windows 7 32bit (computer is hating it atm hahaha)
I5 processor
16GB RAM
nvidia geforce gtx 660
and a hard drive from the stone age lol :P

rates in windows at 7.3 processor 7.3 memory 7.9 graphics 5.9 hard disk lol really needa get windows 64 so i can use the whole 16 gb of ram and need a new hard disk, bring on pay day for a computer overhaul lol

I wouldn't say so here's mine

Windows 7 64bit

AMD Athlon 2x4 630 quad core processor 2.8GHZ

8GB RAM

1TB hard rive

Graphics 2GB AMD Radoen 5440 Fanless Graphics card

With the graphics card so close to the case wall, in the case cooling can be a problem.  

:-O

ordered a new 3tb hdd for my Pc given my 2tb is on the blink as one of the partitions I set up is not functioning

at least with the 3 tb one I should have one I should have the space to get on with setting things up the way I wanted to do things originally

It looks like my PC has developed a rather serious problem; it doesn't like turning on anymore.

Well, it turns on, but it doesn't boot to the BIOS and doesn't power my USB devices. Monitor just stays black. Everything else lights up (LED lights on case, can hear fans spinning etc). First thing I did was take out 2GB of my RAM that I got from a mate. No real logic to it, other than it was running at a different frequency and it was the easiest thing to remove from my PC. Booted straight away after that...

Then today happened, and again it didn't want to boot. This time, I took out my 8 year old HDD (which, whilst having an old copy of Windows, was the device that had the boot settings) and bingo, launched first time. Scared for tomorrow though.

If it doesn't boot again, I'm thinking my PSU might be playing up. If it is, then that requires a new PSU to even test my theory that it is the PSU. If it's not the PSU, then that leaves the motherboard (Unless both my HDD are the problem...fuck that). First problems I've ran into with this computer, sucks.

Either way, I want to change my case and get a new HDD now. Seriously considering a SSD, need to get my research hat on.

Herby007 said:
It looks like my PC has developed a rather serious problem; it doesn't like turning on anymore.

Well, it turns on, but it doesn't boot to the BIOS and doesn't power my USB devices. Monitor just stays black. Everything else lights up (LED lights on case, can hear fans spinning etc). First thing I did was take out 2GB of my RAM that I got from a mate. No real logic to it, other than it was running at a different frequency and it was the easiest thing to remove from my PC. Booted straight away after that...

Then today happened, and again it didn't want to boot. This time, I took out my 8 year old HDD (which, whilst having an old copy of Windows, was the device that had the boot settings) and bingo, launched first time. Scared for tomorrow though.

If it doesn't boot again, I'm thinking my PSU might be playing up. If it is, then that requires a new PSU to even test my theory that it is the PSU. If it's not the PSU, then that leaves the motherboard (Unless both my HDD are the problem...fuck that). First problems I've ran into with this computer, sucks.

Either way, I want to change my case and get a new HDD now. Seriously considering a SSD, need to get my research hat on.
given how well my SSD is working I'd definitely recommend that if you can afford one that is

CPU: i7 3770K (stock clocks, should look into getting a CPU cooler)
GPU: GTX 670 with 2GB VRAM
RAM: 8GB @ 1600MHz
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 550
PSU: Cooler Master GX 650W

Herby007 said:

given how well my SSD is working I'd definitely recommend that if you can afford one that is
Knew you were gonna jump on the SSD mention ;) 

Sorry to hear your PC is playing up Herby :( 
I agree with sj about the SSD though, the performance increase in Windows with one is incredible! It does help with games too but it was mainly the speed of Windows itself where I really noticed the diffetencd

Herby007 said:

I agree with sj about the SSD though, the performance increase in Windows with one is incredible! It does help with games too but it was mainly the speed of Windows itself where I really noticed the diffetencd
Problem with SSD's is they have a short life span because they run at higher speeds than the HDD's.

@aerocrane

Neat job there.  Its screaming out
(literally? :)) for a 3rd party cooler though
You are right, I really need a cooler on it. The machine isn't loud though, as the case has some soundproofing :)
Got any recommendations for a CPU cooler? I probably have to wait until June before buying anything though, don't have much time to spend on the PC and money is a bit tight.

Herby007 said:

yeah it does my pc is really going strong since I installed it just need to get my new 3tb hard drive installed and I'll be all set as the one on the one it was fitted with one of the partitions stopped working which means I'[m down a terabyte of HDD space at the moment I've got the replacement but just waiting for help installing it.

aerocrane said:
CPU: i7 3770K (stock clocks, should look into getting a CPU cooler)
GPU: GTX 670 with 2GB VRAM
RAM: 8GB @ 1600MHz
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 550
PSU: Cooler Master GX 650W

nice looking machine