Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Don't have to hear you moan about Corsair anymore, just how much you love them ;) Looks good mate. Btw for my front panel problem, I could actually cut away those ugly beams, and just keep the surrounding edge as it looks like it would stay in place. The only thing stopping me is those beams could actually be there for a reason, as the bit in the middle is round just where the fan is, so it might help with fan noise. They must've made it like that for some reason, and maybe it helps the fan? It's the only logical reason I can think of, as it would still keep the dustfilter in place without them...

Lol, and how good their customer service is ;) Got a PM from Corsair James saying he's gonna post me a new Pause Break key :) 

The only thing that worries me about you cutting those beams is that the filter could be glued to them. Of course I could be completely wrong though cause I've not seen your front panel in person, only pics online :p The only reason I can see though really for those beams being there is just stability of the mesh/panel I guess, cause they look like they'd slightly block a small amount of air going in.

If I were you dude I'd be ordering a second panel from them and then get cracking with customising the one you have. Just as a backup in case something goes wrong and those beams were there for a reason lol. I'd also post on the Corsair forums in the case section asking about it, you'll find some good advice from other 780T owners :) Also the Corsair forums are vBulls  B)

This is the pic I've been looking at to try and get an idea of how your panel is put together: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2014/09/corsair-graphite-series-780t-review/780t-3b.jpg

There's a bit around the edge of the beams which is stuck to another part, so the filter wouldn't fall out. I'm not going to do it for now, but my Dremel hasn't been used for a long time o:) They don't actually support the front panel at all, as there's hard plastic and metal mesh that is the supporting factor. You can kinda see what I mean from that picture, there's an outer edge which also links to the main frame, the filter is hard not soft, so it wouldn't flop about without those parts. The filter also goes around the sides that are at an angle, they are stuck tight in those sections, so I'm sure the filter wouldn't be affected.

Ok well taking all that into account, I'd say crack that Dremel out and get on with it asap dude rather than waiting. If anything does go wrong and you end up having to get a new mesh panel from Corsair, well... If they go out of stock any time soon, there'd be a 50/50 chance they wouldn't come back into stock, and if they ever did it'd probably be months after the stock ran out :p 

They're an awesome company in some ways, but trying to get hold of parts from them can sometimes be a headache! 

Had a few tests now of the new panel, seems my idle temps have dropped by around 2c on both GPU's, no change on the CPU. But while gaming they've come down by 5c, and that's both GPU's and the CPU :) Pretty happy with that!

@RevolvingPrawn Lol the Fiji GPU is going to perform about the same as the 980ti or even slower :joy: It's going to run hot hence the watercooling, and draw a lot of power. It will only have 4GB as previously stated. The only thing that can save it is price, but they've said development costs have been high so there's no way it'll be cheap, plus the cooler will drive up price.

We really need a strong AMD though, as without them Nvidia won't push for better performance between gens, and can keep charging huge amounts like they are now.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/computex-2015-exclusive-amd-fiji-gpu-die-photo.html

I'm liking this Windows 8 shizz....

Thought it was gonna be crap, tried it and it was ok, now i've got the hang of it, its cracking

Thought it was gonna be crap, tried it and it was ok, now i've got the hang of it, its cracking
And you can get the Windows 10 upgrade for free in a few months ;)

Hughesy said:
I thought that was for escape or windows key? Looks good though.
It was gonna be, but I've been using Pause Break to change modes within my keyboard profile so I figured it might as well go on that instead :p 

Hughesy said:

Isn't Windows 10 going back to a windows 7 kind of layout? Would much rather keep 8 if it is

Hughesy said:

Isn't Windows 10 going back to a windows 7 kind of layout? Would much rather keep 8 if it is
No not really, it's going to be pretty similar to Windows 8.1, they've made some tweaks to make it better for M/kb. You'd be silly to not take advantage of the free upgrade, especially as it's geared towards gaming more than any Windows version. It won't use as much ram and CPU usage will be lower. ;)

@RevolvingPrawn Looks like I'm going to wait for Pascal. A- It's going to be a lot faster, B- it's going to use HBM and C- it's going to use HBM V2 so can have upto 32GB. Due to my resolution HBM would make a huge difference for me, and really at the moment my GPU isn't exactly struggling. 4GB will become a limiting factor at some point especially using Sli, yes DX12 has the option to use all the VRAM from both GPUs, but we don't know how long it'll be until they take advantage and actually use that feature.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-big-pascal-taped-out-gp100-silicon.html

Fair play bud. I'm just gonna stick with Maxwell and keep my fingers crossed that most devs do use VRAM pooling with DX12 :p If not I could end up being a bit screwed eventually :(

Either way, I'll wait and see what Nvidia do with Pascal and see how it compares to my cards once it's out and the benchmarks are up to see. If it's drastically better I might consider selling the 980's, but it depends too on whether games start getting that much more demanding because of the leap with HBM.

My current plan though is to wait for Volta and hope my 980's don't get left in the dust too long before then :p 

Yea HBM wouldn't really help you at 1080p, the higher the res the more bandwidth you need. As much as I'd love to go Sli, I refuse to pay so much for a 980, when Pascal is so close. There would have to be a mega sale for me to consider it, it's not like 1 980 is underpowered, even at 1440p. Unless games need more VRAM than you currently have (4GB or 8GB *at some point) then you will be fine for a few years, 1080p uses a lot less so I think you'd be fine.

True on that dude, and the only way I'll be going up in res is when the prices of the 1440p 144hz monitors start going down :p 

And that's fully understandable bud, you've got a great card as it is so when Pascal is well on it's way it does make sense to wait for it rather than go Sli now. 

Boom!  B)
http://mjr.mn/1JBQ1tn

And finally, we are happy to announce that starting this Fall, you’ll be able to purchase the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows to enjoy the freedom and convenience of the wireless controller on Windows 10 PCs, laptops, and tablets. The Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows will be available for $24.99 U.S. MSRP or bundled with an Xbox One Wireless Controller for $79.95 U.S. MSRP and sold in most markets where Xbox accessories are currently available.  

Cheap price, much cheaper than I thought it would be.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/608259309332357120

Well that'll be a day 1 purchase for me :) 
I'm slightly surprised at the price, the wireless dongle for the 360 controller cost a lot more, maybe they are serious about bringing some love to PC. Although it looks sleek, it seems rather big, the wireless part for my keyboard and mouse is tiny. Maybe it's to give it more range, I'll probably stick it in the motherboard USB port so it's not visable. This is how small my K/M dongle is. 

It does look kinda big lol. Probably about the same size as a WiFi adapter though right? For me it'll be plugged into a USB hub I've got tucked under my desk, I currently plug my X1 controller into that anyway so should bee all good :) 

And the price is pretty good, just hoping it's not gonna be like a $25 = £25 thing lol.

This might not be popular with everyone :# Doesn't bother me as I'll have Windows 10
http://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-one-wireless-controller-adapter-requires-windows-10/

Haha yea, I was reading some of the angry comments about that yesterday :p Doesn't bother me either because I'll be going Windows 10 too. With DX12 and it being free it doesn't make sense not to switch.

Haha yea, I was reading some of the angry comments about that yesterday :p Doesn't bother me either because I'll be going Windows 10 too. With DX12 and it being free it doesn't make sense not to switch.
I just knew once I read the headline that people would get their pitchforks out :joy: 

Hughesy said:
I just knew once I read the headline that people would get their pitchforks out :joy: 

@LiteralZero Seems like I've figured out what was causing the burning smell. It was my sound card lol. It was sat right above my top GPU and absorbing ridiculous amounts of heat from it, so I pulled it out and haven't had the burning smell again since. Only trouble now is its gonna cost me £65 for an external soundboard.