Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

@LiteralZero Seems like I've figured out what was causing the burning smell. It was my sound card lol. It was sat right above my top GPU and absorbing ridiculous amounts of heat from it, so I pulled it out and haven't had the burning smell again since. Only trouble now is its gonna cost me £65 for an external soundboard.
Your PC had a touch of the AMD's :joy: 

So you'll be getting that, and I'll be getting the H110i GT :D I want a new soundcard, but the one I want isn't out yet.

Looking at maybe upgrading my CPU, probably go to an i5 but that means I need a new mobo. Not something I need to do so I might not as it'll be a lot of money. 

I3-3220, so yeah, could do with upgrading that. GPU is HD 7750 or 7770, can't remember but I can wait on upgrading it.

Platy said:
I3-3220, so yeah, could do with upgrading that. GPU is HD 7750 or 7770, can't remember but I can wait on upgrading it.
To be honest dude, that CPU isn't too bad really. It's a little better than the i5 in my laptop and even that is pretty damn nippy. Personally I'd upgrade GPU out of the two things and hold onto that CPU for a while longer. 

Something you can do to check which of the two might be worth upgrading first, when you're gaming if your CPU is running full tilt but your GPU isn't then it's CPU upgrade, or if your GPU is running full tilt and CPU isn't then it's a GPU upgrade.

Also are you running an SSD? If you aren't then that's the first thing you should do and forget upgrading either the GPU or CPU for a while bud.

The main reason I want to upgrade my CPU is because Arma is a CPU hog. Going to hold off a while before I get anything.

Yea, a dual core isn't really going to cut it, pretty much any i5 would be fine though.

Wow for the price that AMD Fury X is tempting, but I'll be waiting until Nvidia release a GPU with HBM.

Do I, don't I, do I, don't I..... :#
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-msi-gtx-980-gaming-4g-twin-frozr-v-7010mhz-gddr5-gpu-1216mhz-boost-1317mhz-2048-cores-dp-dvi-hdm

@Hughesy You wanted a price drop ;) That's a fairly hefty one! I'd even consider going 3 way SLI at that price!
Yea but there's another 980 for £365 on Aria, but I refuse to get a different one. I would never go 3 way SLI btw as they don't scale well, plus with 4GB you be wasting money.
http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Gigabyte+GeForce+GTX+980+WindForce+4096MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+%2B+FREE+Batman+Arkham+Knight%21+?productId=63728

@RevolvingPrawn The 390X is as good as the 980, yet I get its a lot cheaper and comes with 8GB of memory. Not getting one or anything, but performance is very good for a refresh. Looking forward to what the Fury X can do. The 390 X uses almost 100watts more than a 980 though, so it's not very efficient.... 
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_390x_gaming_8g_oc_review,13.html

Ahum @RevolvingPrawn Asked someone at work who has this, and he to said it was quiet. Maybe my last one had a problem with the pump as that has been an issue for some. So I bought it, and paid for Saturday delivery as it was only £6 B) 
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-hydro-series-h110i-gt-high-performance-cpu-cooler-with-280mm-radiator-for-intel-amd-cpus

Hughesy said:
Ahum @RevolvingPrawn Asked someone at work who has this, and he to said it was quiet. Maybe my last one had a problem with the pump as that has been an issue for some. So I bought it, and paid for Saturday delivery as it was only £6 B) 
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-hydro-series-h110i-gt-high-performance-cpu-cooler-with-280mm-radiator-for-intel-amd-cpus
See, told you dude :p 

Hughesy said:
See, told you dude :p 
Just to add to my post, I actually went to the guys house to listen to it :joy: 

My next purchase will be a display port cable, as I found out this monitor can do 1440p using it, it's just HDMI that can't. The reason is because I bet Nvidia will drop dvi-d like AMD. Display port is better anyway, and is a lot better than HDMI.

I love this from AMD, at the moment though it's just a concept but is still really cool.
http://www.pcgamer.com/take-a-closer-look-at-amds-tiny-project-quantum-pc/

I love how it's an AMD concept with an Intel CPU inside :p 
Lol yea but they had to, as its crossfire so needs a good CPU so it doesn't bottleneck. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Zen CPU in it once its realised. ;)

Pics of the H110i GT. haven't stress tested it yet, but idle temps are about the same as the Noctua, maybe even a little lower and that's with the fans only spinning at 650rpm. I'll post some of the whole system at some point, but as I said in the PM my hands aren't good, and I'd need to move my monitor which I'm not doing with my hands like this.

Finally all sorted with a sound card :) Been through 3 different ones this week lol. 

First when I put it in and powered up, it has an orange light. Ignore the purple tinge, it's white LED's but my camera just seems to tinge them purple for some reason.

So I messed around a little with it and no more orange light :D 

@Hughesy Figured out my FP Audio issues too, stuck a splitter on the green cable, then an extender on that and taped it under my desk. All I gotta do now is plug in my headphones and turn off the speakers lol :) No need for switching in the playback devices. Also that's the new SLI bridge, makes the old one look tiny!

Why did you think it wouldn't fit? That's how close mine sits to the GPU. Glad you figured something out bud, I like the SLI bridge. Although I love the look of the H110i GT, the LED bit is smaller than it is on the H100i, but still looks really nice.

While  playing The Witcher 3 my CPU temps barely go over 54c :o I'm sure this is lower than the Noctua was, still don't get why it's so good in games compared to it, yet over 10c hotter while running Prime 95. Doesn't matter really, as only gaming temps matter. 

Hughesy said:
Why did you think it wouldn't fit? That's how close mine sits to the GPU. Glad you figured something out bud, I like the SLI bridge. Although I love the look of the H110i GT, the LED bit is smaller than it is on the H100i, but still looks really nice.

While  playing The Witcher 3 my CPU temps barely go over 54c :o I'm sure this is lower than the Noctua was, still don't get why it's so good in games compared to it, yet over 10c hotter while running Prime 95. Doesn't matter really, as only gaming temps matter. 
I wasn't worried about it fitting into the slot, knew it would :p I was worried that it would stop the SLI bridge from fitting onto the SLI pins. It doesn't look too close in the pics but the actual port on the bridge is less than 1mm away from the sound card lol.

Seems we're roughly the same on temps :) Not sure what my temps are on W3, but my CPU is always in the 50c's in games. I had the same thing with running P95 though dude, it's usually around 70-80c for me running it, and once 99c after forgetting to put the fans at full speed ;)

It's a wierd one though, as a few sites say it's a lot better than the Noctua. I can't remember what I got when I had the H100i, but I think it was roughly the same. I do have the fans set lower than I did with the H100i, it is very quiet. At some point when I buy some more thermal paste I will take it off just to make sure. Temps seem fine in games though, but it would only take me a few mins to do so might as well. Either way temps are fine, I have seen a core go to 64c but only for a brief moment. Most of the time the max temp is 60c, which is what I was aiming for like I did with the Noctua.

Although I thought the Noctua was quiet (the fans themselves are) pushing through that heatsink seems to create noisy turbulent air, whereas the H110i GT doesn't. I've kept the pump on performance mode, as I can't hear it unless I put my head inside the case lol. Those new braided pipes look awesome, now I just need that lighting to show it off. As it stands it's a bit dark inside, even more so because my sidewindow is smoked/tinted slightly. Once I get that final part of the puzzle it'll look great. :D

I have decided not to go SLI though, mainly due to HBM coming which will help performance at 1440p. There's only been a few games I can't quite max, but it's only a few settings so at this res the 980 is still plenty powerful enough. Maybe if I had a 120+hz monitor I would have bought a second one.

The more I look at my H110i GT, the more I love it. I had GTA running for ages earlier and max temp was 63, not bad when it's only on default so makes no noise. Now all I need is some lighting for my case, I also want to buy a red Corsair AF fan for the rear of my case then it would be complete. Probably won't be the Corsair lighting until the start selling it or making a new lighting node thing.