Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

30 minutes before Arkham Knight is released and I've just had a new driver from Nvidia pop up, and of course it's the Arkham Knight driver :) This is why I love having Nvidia GPU's!

Ive seen some stuff on Guru 3D that there's some bugs when using SLI, one of them was to do with Alt Tab, but hopefully it works ok for you. I'm going to play it for a few minutes, I've been up for over 30 hours so really need to sleep lol.

Edit: It's unlocked!

@RevolvingPrawn You seen the reviews for the Fury X yet? Cost upto £100 more than a 980ti, performs worse and only 4GB of ram due to HBM V1 :joy: All the hype about HBM, yet still performs worse or near the same as a TI....

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn You seen the reviews for the Fury X yet? Cost upto £100 more than a 980ti, performs worse and only 4GB of ram due to HBM V1 :joy: All the hype about HBM, yet still performs worse or near the same as a TI....
Makes me laugh that it's actually not that much better than a 980, and even gets beaten by the 980 in some games :D Love it too how AMD released those benchmarks a week or so ago showing how the Fury X was better than a 980 Ti, yet when real reviewers start benching it it's fairly clear that AMD only picked out the ones that made the card look better than it actually is.

Hughesy said:
Makes me laugh that it's actually not that much better than a 980, and even gets beaten by the 980 in some games :D Love it too how AMD released those benchmarks a week or so ago showing how the Fury X was better than a 980 Ti, yet when real reviewers start benching it it's fairly clear that AMD only picked out the ones that made the card look better than it actually is.
That video I posted above sums up how AMD fans currently feel :joy: 

@Hughesy Clearly the exchange rate doesn't apply to the new Elite controller :( It should be £95 if it's $150. Hoping this isn't the final price but if it is I might just hold off on it for a while. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-One-Elite-Wireless-Controller/dp/B00ZFOGG54/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435654669&sr=8-4&keywords=forza+6

:o  :o :o Not paying that much for a controller, even £95 is way too much for it IMO...

As it would only be useful for me in racing games on Xbox One, I'd much rather spend a extra £180 and buy a Logitech 920.

The main reason for getting a Z97 mobo would be for overclocking and things I'm not interested in. An H97 should be fine, yeah?

Pretty much, and you can't use SLI or Crossfire X, but I doubt you'd need that anyway. So yea H97 is fine if you don't plan on overclocking the CPU. ;)

So looking at getting the following -

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Processor
Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 Mobo
MSI GeFore GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Corsair CX 600W PSU

Trying to be brave enough to pull the trigger, probably going to cost more than my PC first cost lol >.<

Platy said:
So looking at getting the following -

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Processor
Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 Mobo
MSI GeFore GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Corsair CX 600W PSU

Trying to be brave enough to pull the trigger, probably going to cost more than my PC first cost lol >.<
Personally bud, I'd look at a different PSU if I were you. The CX range is Corsair's budget PSU's. Take a look at this and see what you think, it's what I'd go for instead because it's 80PLUS Gold instead of Bronze. Also it has 54 amps on the 12v rail instead of the 46 amps of the Corsair one. It also has 2x 6+2pin PCI-E cables instead of just 2x 6pin ones. So if you decide to change GPU in the future you'd likely not have to change PSU at the same time.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fractal-Design-Tesla-Power-Supply/dp/B0093FTLT4

Otherwise that's gonna be an awesome PC :) You using your current case or getting a new one?

Cheers dude, changed and ordered as they only had 1 left lol.

Using my current one, should fit but I can always upgrade for cheap.

Edit: and yeah, not planning on upgrading again for a while. Only thing I will add will be an SDD after my next payday. I know they're awesome but its something I can wait on.

If it wasn't for the fact it would cost a lot to send a case I'd give you one of mine, my house is becoming a PC case graveyard :joy: 

Platy said:
Cheers dude, changed and ordered as they only had 1 left lol.

Using my current one, should fit but I can always upgrade for cheap.

Edit: and yeah, not planning on upgrading again for a while. Only thing I will add will be an SDD after my next payday. I know they're awesome but its something I can wait on.
No problem bud, glad to help :) SSD is a must when funds allow though, it's one of the things that when you upgrade to gives you the most noticeable increase in speed :)

Installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on my crappy PC that's made out of spare parts today. It's pretty awesome! Really like what they've done with it so far. The best thing to me though was the Edge browser, loads up extremely quickly compared to Chrome, and websites are much faster, quicker, and more responsive. Really looking forward to having the full release on my main PC now!

@RevolvingPrawn Talking of PC builds, have you seen this? http://www.pcgamer.com/build-of-the-week-nes-30/ Pretty cool IMO. It proves there's no reason for consoles to be as underpowered as they are. I'd love to do something similar with a old console case. My dream would be to use my GameCube case, but I don't think it's possible at the moment. Even using an Xbox One case would be pretty cool, some people mock it, but I love the styling of it.

My god @RevolvingPrawn  I so want this motherboard. http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-releases-x99a-godlike-gaming-motherboard.html

Its RGB, so can become any colour which would make life so much easier for us, I get it costs an arm and a leg though.

Hughesy said:
My god @RevolvingPrawn  I so want this motherboard. http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-releases-x99a-godlike-gaming-motherboard.html

Its RGB, so can become any colour which would make life so much easier for us, I get it costs an arm and a leg though.
Just noticed that the LED's come from under some of the heatsinks and armour parts, all of the red bits are still actually red :( They might as well have not made it RGB and just stuck red lights in there instead because it'd still look stupid in a rig with any colour theme that isn't red and black :(

When will these companies learn that not every gamer wants black and bloody red damnit!

Hughesy said:

Just noticed that the LED's come from under some of the heatsinks and armour parts, all of the red bits are still actually red :( They might as well have not made it RGB and just stuck red lights in there instead because it'd still look stupid in a rig with any colour theme that isn't red and black :(

When will these companies learn that not every gamer wants black and bloody red damnit!
Are you sure? I thought it's red just to show what it would look like with LEDs... Would make sense, as MSI gaming theme is red, would be wierd to change that now when it's what they are known for. Not sure what you mean by when will they learn, 90% of motherboards are blue :| You are right, the heatsink is red, seems pointless including the lighting really :joy: 

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

Are you sure? I thought it's red just to show what it would look like with LEDs... Would make sense, as MSI gaming theme is red, would be wierd to change that now when it's what they are known for. Not sure what you mean by when will they learn, 90% of motherboards are blue :|
Yeaaa, there's a comment on the story with a video showing the lights in action, looks kinda stupid changing colours with the red bits :( They should have just made the whole board black and used the lighting for colours. 

I swear the only blue motherboards I can find that are Z97 are the ASRock ones, and I refuse to buy one of theirs (one of my friends went through 2 of the one I would have bought before giving up, getting a refund, and buying an MSI one even though it didn't match the colours he was going for). All the rest are black and red, gold and black, yellow and black etc lol.

Blue http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z97-g43-intel-z97-s1150-ddr3-pcie-30-(x16)-2-way-crossfirex-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx
Blue http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z97-guard-pro-intel-z97-s1150-ddr3-pcie-30-(x16)-2-way-crossfirex-d-sub-displayport-dvi-d-atx
Blue http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z97-g43-intel-z97-s1150-ddr3-pcie-30-(x16)-2-way-crossfirex-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx
 :p 

Cuts the links off silly forum, but those are all blue and that's only 1 chipset. http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/motherboards-intel/socket-1150-intel-z97-motherboards

Even though the MSI board has insane features, it cost over £400

Ok I should be more specific :p There's no blue mobo's that meet my requirements lol. The only ones that do are the ASRock ones that are between £100-£150. No problem with the price, that's how much I'd expect to pay, but like I said about ASRock ;)

First one in the list: SATA 1 and 2 face upwards rather than angled to the right. Not enough USB ports on the rear I/O, my minimum there is 8 lol. No guards around the pins at the bottom of the board, hate the way just bare pins look. And CPU fan header 2 is miles away from CPU fan header 1, makes keeping neat fan cables for the cooler more difficult.

Second in the list: SATA 5 and 6 face upwards rather than angled to the right. Not enough USB ports on the rear I/O again lol. No guards around the pins again. Only one CPU fan header. 

Third in the list: Same mobo as the first one ;) 

I will admit that most of what I want are little things lol, but they're things that are big enough for me not to buy any of them :p I think the only Z97 board on Scan I'd consider would be this one: 
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-z97-deluxe-intel-z97-s1150-ddr3-pcie-30-(x16)-quad-sli-3-way-crossfirex-dp-hdmi-mdp-atx
But even then there's things I don't like about it, and even my £99 Z87 has everything that one does, and in fact one or two things more ;) I just want a Z97 version of mine with an extra USB header thrown in lol.