Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

I have never met such a picky person :joy: Btw the reason blue isn't used on high end motherboards is becasue blue doesn't sell well. It's a fact that flashy bright/bold colours sell better, I gave up on a blue theme years ago after moving to high end. Saying that, blue is nothing compared to green. When I had green water coolant it was a nightmare, there was only 1 green motherboard, but one I couldn't get. I do wish I could still do a waterloop. I think with better planning, so it's easier to empty and clean I could do it, but I just can't be arsed.

You could always paint the heatsinks blue, that's what a lot of modders do
:p 

Hughesy said:
I have never met such a picky person :joy: Btw the reason blue isn't used on high end motherboards is becasue blue doesn't sell well. It's a fact that flashy bright/bold colours sell better, I gave up on a blue theme years ago after moving to high end. Saying that, blue is nothing compared to green. When I had green water coolant it was a nightmare, there was only 1 green motherboard, but one I couldn't get. I do wish I could still do a waterloop. I think with better planning, so it's easier to empty and clean I could do it, but I just can't be arsed.

You could always paint the heatsinks blue, that's what a lot of modders do :p 
You aren't the first person who's said that to me :p I like to think that I know what I want and I'll do what I can to get it ;) Thing is if I could find a black and silver or even just black motherboard then I'd be all good with that, I just wish that they wouldn't all put stupid colours on the better mobo's lol. 

Funny you should mention green, Gigabyte just put out a green Z97 board ;) http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-z97x-game-plus-intel-z97-s1150-ddr3-pcie-30-(x16)-2-way-sli-3-way-crossfirex-d-sub-(vga)-dv

And yea, I probably could paint them blue, or even better just plastidip the parts I wanted blue, but hassle, and I'm not good at practical art lol, and I'm only middling at arty things on a PC :p Plus most of the boards colour the PCIe to match and screw having to deal with that :p 

Don't bother trying to link pages from Scan on here, the forum cuts it off ;)

Took me most of the afternoon, but here it is.

That'll do for a few more years.

The Twin Frozr cooler is so good isn't it, and very good looking :) That's the first time I've actually seen the stock Intel cooler, never took mine out the box, it's in the loft somewhere.

Its a nice looking thing. I'll upgrade the cooler eventually, along with the RAM and get an SSD.

Its nice to be able to play games like Arma 3 at an actual fps.

So I've had my ROG Swift monitor for about a day and a half now, and by god it's ridiculously good. I watched and read a bunch of reviews and they all said it's one of the best gaming monitors available, but until you're actually sat in front of it and gaming on it you don't realise just how good this thing makes everything look :) 

A few times now I've actually been caught out by it too, because it has much smaller bezels than my old monitor, and with the smoothness that Gsync gives it, I've actually watched characters walking off screen and expected them to just kind of appear in real life to whichever side they went off. At one point it was raining in a scene and I looked above the monitor wondering where the rain was coming from and expecting to see angry clouds lol. 

If any of you guys are building a gaming rig in the future and have the money to get this monitor, don't even hesitate, it's incredible :) Planning on fitting my Lightpack to it tomorrow so it can fool me even more :p 

You owe me a beer for pointing out the deal :p  o:) Glad it's good though mate.

Good article> http://www.pcgamer.com/what-directx-12-means-for-gamers-and-developers/

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn Time to install Windows 10.

Enjoy it going to be another day or 2 before I'm ready to install  to try out but I hope I'll be ready to give it a try at somestage over the weekend. I'm busy trying to get my games saved over to the cloud first before making my move. I have the equipment I need as I keep backups on flash drives anyway. I'm just trying to get to a convenient place in my gasmes to stop and save to the cloud. Almost done that with Witcher 1 once I've done that I can do that with the other games.

@sjsharp2010 You don't really need to make sure your saves are in the cloud, as it's like a update. You can start a fresh but you can also just keep everything, just like when Windows 8 came out ;)

Hughesy said:
@sjsharp2010 You don't really need to make sure your saves are in the cloud, as it's like a update. You can start a fresh but you can also just keep everything, just like when Windows 8 came out ;)

I'm going for a fresh install though not an update because my PC is having a few problems that need clearing out right now anyway. So basically I'm wiping everything off my drive so I need to use the cloud to keep what I want to keep if I'm going for that. If it was going to be a simple update sure I wouldn't worry so much.

Edit got to the point where I can stop on the Witcher 1 finally I think. In the case of the F1 games I'll likely just do 1 race weekend on each game to save them. On my other Steam games I have going I'll just likely take it to the next checkjpoint so this next step will be quicker. Once all that is done I'll be ready for Windows 10

I've put my PC in the upgrade system just need the OK to download now as I hadn't reserved it as usually I turn Windows update off when my computers running smoothly as I don't like it messing me up when in the middle of a game. Which Windows update has a habit of doing when I have it turned on. So I had to turn it on and run through the various updates to get it. Hope it doesn't take too long though. In the meantime will do another season or 2 on P Cars and Grid Autosport I think so I can save those to the cloud

You'll deffo have to backup your PCars save bud, I did a fresh reinstall a couple of weeks back and lost my PCars save. Seems it doesn't use Steam Cloud

You'll deffo have to backup your PCars save bud, I did a fresh reinstall a couple of weeks back and lost my PCars save. Seems it doesn't use Steam Cloud

Strange but it doesn't really matter with regards my P Cars save so much as I've only really done 1 season it's more a case of I do want to save Autosport as I've done between 20/30 seasons of that give or take either way I've done a lot and I haven't even raced the top end cars on it yet

Got Windows 10 downloading now.

Yea I love Windows 10, it is by far the best OS, as it actually feels modern. Instead of having that separate metro UI, it's now fused together and works really well. I kinda want to sell my IPad and get a Windows 10 tablet, or tablet/laptop.

Hughesy said:
Yea I love Windows 10, it is by far the best OS, as it actually feels modern. Instead of having that separate metro UI, it's now fused together and works really well. I kinda want to sell my IPad and get a Windows 10 tablet, or tablet/laptop.

yeah went in nice and smoothly on my machine  one of the smoothest installations I think I've vber had of an operating system. If it runs my games as smoothly as it went in on my machine me and Win 10 are going to get on very well  I think. Still yet to test my games on it but I probably will at some point today as I still need to get a few other programs/drivers installed first so that I can hopefully get everything working.

Yea you won't really see any improvements in games, not until games use DX12 ;) I do actually believe Microsoft now though, that they are showing the PC platform some love. Can't wait until Gears Of War remaster comes to PC, think it's going to use DX12. They did release the first one for PC, but it was a right mess.

I'm also looking forward to Fable Legends, it's not single player but it all does sound good considering it's F2P. I'm signed up for the beta on X1 and PC, normally I wouldn't even play a Free2play game, but I'm willing to give it a chance. Sadly it does have a slight pay2win as you can buy gear, would have been better to just be able to buy cosmetic stuff. But you do always play against others with similar level equipment, so I'm not sure pay 2 win will affect the game. I hope they release a Fable 4 at some point, as I'd much prefer a singleplayer campaign.

Hughesy said:
Yea you won't really see any improvements in games, not until games use DX12 ;) I do actually believe Microsoft now though, that they are showing the PC platform some love. Can't wait until Gears Of War remaster comes to PC, think it's going to use DX12. They did release the first one for PC, but it was a right mess.

I'm also looking forward to Fable Legends, it's not single player but it all does sound good considering it's F2P. I'm signed up for the beta on X1 and PC, normally I wouldn't even play a Free2play game, but I'm willing to give it a chance. Sadly it does have a slight pay2win as you can buy gear, would have been better to just be able to buy cosmetic stuff. But you do always play against others with similar level equipment, so I'm not sure pay 2 win will affect the game. I hope they release a Fable 4 at some point, as I'd much prefer a singleplayer campaign.

well now that Win 10 is out I think we'll see it though just had to switch mice on my computer as I think that was being troublesome but hopefully now I've fixed those issues I can start to see the benefits of Win 10

well there is one nice thing about Win 10 is that it's a lot faster or at least feels that way to me. So far the only things that have been awkward is finding the various functions but I know it's all there as last night I accidently installed some malware fortunately I did get rid of it though but took a while to find the uninstall features. Fortunately though I eventually managed to find the control panel and set it up on my Start menu. So should be easy to find now

As soon as I saw the picture, I knew Skylake review incoming tomorrow :D
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/tomorrow-wednesday-the-5th-2015.html

@RevolvingPrawn Ok I'm not happy....... That price!  :o It's more expensive than Haswell E, which is a 6 core CPU.....
 It's