Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

That's about what I was expecting :p 
Well you seem to be the only one then bud, looking at other people talking about it. It costs more than Intel 6 core CPU, so I'm not sure how you saw it coming.....

I paid about £150 for my 3570K...

Well I paid around £250 for my 4770K, and considering both that and the 4790K are still around that price range I figured the 6700K would be a fair bit higher. I definitely expected over £300 anyway.

Haven't posted in here for a while, but anyway. 

My brother was thinking about getting a PC, so I put together this:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/AMS97F1/saved/ZVZ323

Do you guys think that is decent? Is there anywhere that you can save money that won detract from the power of it? How does it compare to my one?

This is mine: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/AMS97F1/saved/4HbQzy

They're pretty similar other than the CPU's, but how different are they? I know a bit about PC's but I don't really want anyone to go spending £500 on something when it could be cheaper but still the same or spending a ton of money on something not really powerful enough.

It depends what he wants to use it for, personally I wouldn't go for a dual core for gaming. 

Hughesy said:
It depends what he wants to use it for, personally I wouldn't go for a dual core for gaming. 
Just gaming really. Obviously the CPU saves a lot of money this way, I found this one on reddit and figured something at that price must be ok for gaming, this is the reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2s6kt3/build_complete_400_console_killer_g3258_xfx_r9/

3 things stuck out to me. 1. CPU is dual core which isn't really enough these days. 2. GPU for about £10 more you could get something a lot better, and something which is Nvidia instead of AMD ;) And 3. You can get a copy of W7 for much less than that.

So slightly edited part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZwhpsY

And I left W7 off the list because you can pick it up under £20 here: http://www.g2play.net/category/13816/windows-7-professional-oem-key-sp1/ 
(and yes it's legit, I bought a W7 key from them myself for my grandma's PC and it's all good)
But I'd also say this key would be more worth the money: http://www.g2play.net/category/16097/windows-8-professional-retail-key/

So it ends up being around £20-£25 more expensive, but it's worth it.

Edit: Oh and something else, you're gonna wanna take out that 140mm Corsair fan bud, make it another 120mm. The Neos only supports 120mm fans.

Ok, fair enough, I didn't really know how many cores is considered good enough :p  GPU is only a little better but I guess being Nvidia makes it worthwhile. 
And yeah, I've used G2A before, I didn't think to look on there for W7, so that is a good idea.

And yeah that was a mistake actually haha, didn't notice that.  Thanks for that :)

Totally missed the GPU :joy:  AMD is a no no. They run hot, use a lot more electricity and are less powerful. Plus crap drivers. Saving money on a CPU is silly, especially when choosing a dual core. A CPU doesn't need upgrading for a long time if you get a decent one to begin with, buying a dual core would just be a waste of money in the long run.

AMS97KRR said:
Ok, fair enough, I didn't really know how many cores is considered good enough :p  GPU is only a little better but I guess being Nvidia makes it worthwhile. 
And yeah, I've used G2A before, I didn't think to look on there for W7, so that is a good idea.

And yeah that was a mistake actually haha, didn't notice that.  Thanks for that :)

Let me put it this way bud, a 12 fps jump in Crysis 3 for less than a tenner makes it a lot better ;) But yea, Nvidia drivers and ShadowPlay will always make it worth getting one of their cards over AMD. Plus less heat and less power usage like Hughesy said :) 

Glad you're willing to use the key shop for the OS dude, talked to quite a few people who worry about using them but out of the numerous things I've bought from them before I've always received the key I bought :) 

And no trouble ;) I used the Neos for my grandma's PC too and just wanted to make sure you weren't gonna get a fan that wouldn't be useful to you.

AMS97KRR said:

Let me put it this way bud, a 12 fps jump in Crysis 3 for less than a tenner makes it a lot better ;) But yea, Nvidia drivers and ShadowPlay will always make it worth getting one of their cards over AMD. Plus less heat and less power usage like Hughesy said :) 

Glad you're willing to use the key shop for the OS dude, talked to quite a few people who worry about using them but out of the numerous things I've bought from them before I've always received the key I bought :) 

And no trouble ;) I used the Neos for my grandma's PC too and just wanted to make sure you weren't gonna get a fan that wouldn't be useful to you.
Yeah, I'll probably go for an Nvidia when I make upgrade my GPU. My CPU is pretty solid I though, cost enough. 

G2A is quality, games on there are often cheaper than anywhere else. Annoying that VAT is now on there though, didn't use to be.

Hughesy said:
Totally missed the GPU :joy:  AMD is a no no. They run hot, use a lot more electricity and are less powerful. Plus crap drivers. Saving money on a CPU is silly, especially when choosing a dual core. A CPU doesn't need upgrading for a long time if you get a decent one to begin with, buying a dual core would just be a waste of money in the long run.
Yeah, I couldn't think of where else to save money, save the operating system. But Yeah, I made sure I bought a decent CPU when I made mine, GPU is AMD but whatever, I'll upgrade soon anyway :p 

Your CPU is better than mine, I have a 3570K although overclocked to 4.7ghz, however I have a lot better GPU. I'll probably be changing GPUs again when Nvidia release the next series, as 4GB of VRAM isn't cutting it at 1440p for some games.

I'm thinking I'll be sticking with what I've got for quite some time to come yet (still bloody well paying chunks of it off haha!). My CPU is still pretty damn quick, and my GPU's are still giving me better performance than the best single GPU solution right now so I'm happy :) And very much hoping that most devs decide to take advantage of the GPU memory pooling that DX12 offers ;) 

@AMS97KRR Give cdkeys.com a go as well bud, some of their prices are astonishingly good. Like they have Mad Max for under £14 yet it isn't actually released until September 4th in the UK :) 

I'm thinking I'll be sticking with what I've got for quite some time to come yet (still bloody well paying chunks of it off haha!). My CPU is still pretty damn quick, and my GPU's are still giving me better performance than the best single GPU solution right now so I'm happy :) And very much hoping that most devs decide to take advantage of the GPU memory pooling that DX12 offers ;) 

@AMS97KRR Give cdkeys.com a go as well bud, some of their prices are astonishingly good. Like they have Mad Max for under £14 yet it isn't actually released until September 4th in the UK :) 

yeah that's what I'm planning to do as well stick with what I've got for now. Althou8gh I may be looking to get a I pad/gaming laptop in the near future although I'm not doing it right now it just depends on how things go for me over the next little while as things are in a bit of upheaval for me atm.

@Hughesy If you end up going SLI and are looking for a bridge (that's better looking than the MSI ;) ) 

http://rog.asus.com/407362015/gaming-graphics-cards-2/asus-republic-of-gamers-announces-enthusiast-sli-bridge/

Naa I prefer the MSI one, as it matches the rest of the system, having a different logo would look out of place.

@RevolvingPrawn  You know your mate is build a PC with an orange theme, well maybe he'd like this GPU 
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/rog-matrix-gtx-980ti-platinum-photos.html

Haha, that'd actually suit his build ridiculously well. I've sent him the link, but I do wonder about the price. If it's substantially more than the one we've picked out so far then I imagine we'll end up just staying with the Zotac one.

I have.

Enough said......

blablabla too short

Edit: Just to give more detail, it was a 670. First one was doa, second one of the fans didn't work and third had extreme coil wine, so I changed to an Asus 670 Directcuii.

Hughesy said:
I have.

Enough said......

blablabla too short

Edit: Just to give more detail, it was a 670. First one was doa, second one of the fans didn't work and third had extreme coil wine, so I changed to an Asus 670 Directcuii.
To be fair though, Gigabyte is a good make right? Yet I went through 3 of their 660's before getting an Asus one. Just because one of their products may have been bad doesn't mean they all will ;)

Zotac are one of the cheap GPU makers though, same category as Sapphire, basically the bargain bucket make ;) They use cheap parts which is why they are cheaper, and their coolers are awful and are noisy. Didn't you have the reference cooler version though for the 660? Gigabyte don't manufacture them, they just sell them for Nvida the same as the ones you currently own.  ;)

You should know by now you get what you pay for. I mean my fan went on my MSI 780 twin frozr, and not only did they replace the GPU instead of just fixing the fan, but they upgraded it to a 970 twin frozr. This was a 1.5-2 years old at that point, so to do that shows how good they are. It's the same with Corsair products, they happily change broken stuff which makes the higher price worth it. It's not my build though, but going the cheaper route when SLI'img 2 980ti seems odd to me, especially as the ti need a lot more cooling compared to 980s

So I may have shit myself because of this

http://imgur.com/5wCxFV9

Going to guess the mass sparkes means it doesn't work now, should still be under warranty hopefully they'll replace it. No idea what caused it though. Fuck :(

Holy shit dude :open_mouth: Did it happen all of a sudden? As it's sparks it's probably not due to overheating, it shorted out somehow. Could have ended a lot worse if it caught fire :#