Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Yeah, was playing Assetto Corsa then sparks. I hope it hasn't shorted the MOBO or anything else. Going to look into replacing it tomorrow and will use my old GPU to test if my PC isnt dead. I thought it was catching fire, managed to get my wheel out of the way quickly lol!

You should have no problem getting it replaced, as you haven't had it that long. I got my 780 replaced after it was over a year old just because of a fan problem. It got replaced with the same 970 you have, which my brother now has. Hopefully thoough the rest of the PC "should" be fine, as most PSUs have protection against these things. It's a good job it didn't happen whilst not at your PC  :# I have seen another 970 have a similar problem, but that actually caught fire, and the rest of the PC was fine.

I bought the card from a seller on Amazon, so I guess I'll have to go back via them for the replacement?

Yes I think so if you haven't had it too long, I'd email and ask them first. If not MSI will sort you out http://uk.msi.com/about/contact-us/

Contacted MSI, going to send it to them for RMA. Thanks for the help @Hughesy 

Just tested it with my old GPU in place, everything works. Going to order a new CPU cooler and look at moving where my PC is so it had a better airflow. Probably won't make a difference but its better to be safe than on fire.

No problem, hope the replacement comes quick for you. Glad everything else is ok :) I doubt it was due to overheating as that 970 runs pretty cool, but there's no harm in improving airflow.

Just installed the Corsair H60 cooler. Checked the temps and I was getting higher than I did with the stock cooler. Swapped around the wires and now im getting 30c. Panic over.

My laptop is starting to randomly cut out/hibernate when the battery gets below 40%. Is it a sign the battery is shot?

Could be to do with power settings in Windows, you might want to have a look as I might be set to power off at certain battery levels.

Hughesy said:
Could be to do with power settings in Windows, you might want to have a look as I might be set to power off at certain battery levels.
Nah I've already tried that and it goes totally flat at 28%.

It's here! Now to feel the pain with not being able to use it until a week Friday.

Edit: Scratch that, I had money I didn't know I had so I just bought the mobo and DDR4 ram :D So tomorrow I'll have it all, wonder if Windows 10 is going to be an bleep and make me buy a new key.

New CPU and mobo, I will post better pictures tomorrow. The LEDs on the mobo and be animated, looks a bit like Night Rider

Quick pic of the mobo with the LEDs on, it's a bit brighter than the picture show, but you get the idea of how they look. I'll take some better ones tomorrow. Looking now there is more LEDs than the ones down the side, but my GPUs block them. Might take the PhysX card out tomorrow so I can see more of them.

So I'm going to use my Hybrid SSD drive mainly for gaming storage, STEAM and Origin, etc...which is better for this: MBR vs GPT?
[URL=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178381]Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD[/URL]

My spec:
Intel Core i7-6700K
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
MSI GTX 970

thanks

Started looking at upgrading my PC. It'll be a small one, just an SSD and more RAM. Thought about getting a new case but nothing caught my eye, seems like a waste of money to change it really.

Platy said:
Started looking at upgrading my PC. It'll be a small one, just an SSD and more RAM. Thought about getting a new case but nothing caught my eye, seems like a waste of money to change it really.
I've been randomly looking at cases too recently. Got a Corsair 750D, it's awesome and all, but it is bulky and heavy as hell, makes it difficult to move around. I like the look of the Corsair Air 540 but it's too wide and won't fit in the same spot the 750D does unfortunately.

I'll look a bit more at cases, but as I said nothing really caught my eye. Plus the effort of moving everything across to the new case puts me off a bit

Platy said:
I'll look a bit more at cases, but as I said nothing really caught my eye. Plus the effort of moving everything across to the new case puts me off a bit
Yea, stripping and rebuilding can be a bit of a pain, no doubt on that. Every now and then it's gotta be done though, even if just for cleaning purposes. Gonna have to do that with mine sometime this year but I'll keep putting it off lol.

This is hilarious, even Nvidia can't explain what the Founders Edition is :joy:
The bit where the guy says the reference design "oops I mean Founders" basically put the final nail in the coffin, they are just charging extra and giving it a new name because idiots will buy it, they aren't even binned chips so won't overclock higher.
https://youtu.be/bNCfn4y8dBw?t=270

Platy said:
Yea, stripping and rebuilding can be a bit of a pain, no doubt on that. Every now and then it's gotta be done though, even if just for cleaning purposes. Gonna have to do that with mine sometime this year but I'll keep putting it off lol.
yeah just done it with mine had to open it up anyway to replace one of my disk drives as one of them had stopped working fortunately they're fairly cheap so not really a problem although money for me is a little tight atm. But unfortunatyely it needed to be done. Thankfully now that I've replaced it everything's fine now.

Hughesy said:
My 3rd SSD is here, now my PC doesn't have any HDD's anymore :) 

Unfortunately I would need an HDD in mine as I do have a lot of files but yeah there's clear benefit's to having SSD's mostly speed though.

I only have games and music on my PC. 256GB SSD for Windows and games if needed, 256GB SSD just for games and now a 500GB SSD for games.

Its amazing how much quieter a PC is without a mechanical drive, I'll never have one in my again. The best bit was taking out the HDD drive cage, so better airflow.