Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Hughesy said:
I only have games and music on my PC. 256GB SSD for Windows and games if needed, 256GB SSD just for games and now a 500GB SSD for games.

Its amazing how much quieter a PC is without a mechanical drive, I'll never have one in my again. The best bit was taking out the HDD drive cage, so better airflow.  

yeah it's OK if you don't need the space I suppose then yeah go for speed. I do have an SSD in mine which definitely improves the speed. I tend to use it for Windows and the newer more demanding games. The older less demanding stuff gets shoved on the HDD along with any files I don't access much. The only modern stuff I keep on the HDD are things like mods for games like Dragon Age and all that. but yeah it's certainly quieter and faster running things that way.

Just reviving an old thread here quickly. 

Why would my PC be telling me on the internet icon in the bottom right of the screen that I'm connected to "Realtek PCIe GBE" rather than my BT Hub? 

The internet still works its just weird, I'd quite like to fix it if possible but Google hasn't helped much :/ 

Not sure, that's the actual chip in the PC to connect it to the router. As it's working fine I wouldn't worry about it.

Hughesy said:
Not sure, that's the actual chip in the PC to connect it to the router. As it's working fine I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah that's right, that's why I found it weird :p 

The only reason I can think of  was that I was trying out a VPN and after it installed, it changed. I have since removed the VPN but this stayed. It removed the default TAP drivers and replaced them with their own. I of course deleted those TAP drivers when I removed the VPN. 

As you said though, its probably nothing to worry about but you know what its like when something changes on your PC and you just don't get why, even if it doesn't matter, it bugs you ;) 

Definitely worth upgrading to a 4GB GPU even if you play at 1080p or lower. 4GB is the minimum, which makes my 980 cry. 

Hughesy said:

Definitely worth upgrading to a 4GB GPU even if you play at 1080p or lower. 4GB is the minimum, which makes my 980 cry. 

Thanks mate been looking around on a few sites for a 4gb 

Definitely a decent GPU for the price. When you think how much my 980 was when released its not all that much slower. 

Go for it, MSI have the best coolers (it's what mine is) so I can  vouch for them. They also have a good return policy, as when my 780 broke they  gave me a 970, by then I already had a 980 so I gave it to my bro B)

Hughesy said:

Go for it, MSI have the best coolers (it's what mine is) so I can  vouch for them. They also have a good return policy, as when my 780 broke they  gave me a 970, by then I already had a 980 so I gave it to my bro B)

Cool will do :)

Oh, that sucks. Gigabyte is still a good brand, not as good,  but you probably won't notice a difference. 

This site is the best tech site. There's many games benchmarked with the the 1050ti comparing against other GPU's

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-g1-gaming-oc-review,1.html

Hughesy said:

This site is the best tech site. There's many games benchmarked with the the 1050ti comparing against other GPU's

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-g1-gaming-oc-review,1.html

Thanks will check it out

Places like GPUboss seem kinda pointless to me, as they don't give the true picture due to different architectures. 

Hughesy said:

Places like GPUboss seem kinda pointless to me, as they don't give the true picture due to different architectures. 

Ok, how about this one instead? http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/compare?hardwareType=gpu

@Hughesy @RevolvingPrawn Staying away from Gigabyte and you guys recommend with a good 4 or 6gb card  from mid 2016 to now for a max of $300?

@Hughesy @RevolvingPrawn Staying away from Gigabyte and you guys recommend with a good 4 or 6gb card  from mid 2016 to now for a max of $300?

I really like Gigabyte for their motherboards, but not so much their GPU's. Back in 2013 I went through 3 GTX 660's, all of which ended up being returned because the coil whine was so loud it was unacceptable. Got an MSI 660 and it was silent.

You should keep looking for a good deal on a 1060 I'd say. It's as good as the 980's Hughesy and I run and I think we're both still happy with our cards :)

I really like Gigabyte for their motherboards, but not so much their GPU's. Back in 2013 I went through 3 GTX 660's, all of which ended up being returned because the coil whine was so loud it was unacceptable. Got an MSI 660 and it was silent.

You should keep looking for a good deal on a 1060 I'd say. It's as good as the 980's Hughesy and I run and I think we're both still happy with our cards :)

I looked at a review on toms hardware and they say it isn't that good or maybe they are wrong.

I looked at a review on toms hardware and they say it isn't that good or maybe they are wrong.

Can you link us the review?

Also how much does the shipping price show for you on the Amazon page for the Gigabyte card? It's $61 for UK shipping apparently lol.

I'd agree with what was said, that a GTX 1060 (6GB version!) is probably the best in that budget range.

As for which manufacturer to take:
 - MSI's GTX 1060 is almost perfect, and the quietest card.
 - The Palit and Gainward cards are pretty balanced
 - Gigabyte and Inno3D's cards are good in performance and run cool, but they are a bit louder

Since you said MSI isn't available for you, I'd personally go with Gainward, I know several people with their GTX 1060 and 1070, and they're pretty happy with them.