Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

DragoCubX said:

I'd agree with what was said, that a GTX 1060 (6GB version!) is probably the best in that budget range.

As for which manufacturer to take:
 - MSI's GTX 1060 is almost perfect, and the quietest card.
 - The Palit and Gainward cards are pretty balanced
 - Gigabyte and Inno3D's cards are good in performance and run cool, but they are a bit louder

Since you said MSI isn't available for you, I'd personally go with Gainward, I know several people with their GTX 1060 and 1070, and they're pretty happy with them.

Gainward is a pretty good recommendation if you can get one Couger. They made what I'd consider the best looking cooler I've ever seen on a GPU :) Unfortunately, when I got my 980's the price of the Gainward card was something like £70 - £100 more, so it'd have cost me £140 - £200 more.

But this cooler... <3

@Hughesy @RevolvingPrawn Staying away from Gigabyte and you guys recommend with a good 4 or 6gb card  from mid 2016 to now for a max of $300?

I really like Gigabyte for their motherboards, but not so much their GPU's. Back in 2013 I went through 3 GTX 660's, all of which ended up being returned because the coil whine was so loud it was unacceptable. Got an MSI 660 and it was silent.

You should keep looking for a good deal on a 1060 I'd say. It's as good as the 980's Hughesy and I run and I think we're both still happy with our cards :)

I looked at a review on toms hardware and they say it isn't that good or maybe they are wrong.

Can you link us the review?

Also how much does the shipping price show for you on the Amazon page for the Gigabyte card? It's $61 for UK shipping apparently lol.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-graphics-card-roundup,4724-9.html

Free apparently above a certain price

And i finally found a msi card thats ships to me 

Looks like the quoting system has **** the bed lol.

Nice though! In that case I'd for sure say that MSI one will be great :)

It doesn't support Sli tho 

Oh, I thought you were going for a single card. What's your plans for SLI?

I've been running SLI since early 2015, and while there's times it's great, there's a lot of other times where it hasn't been. When a game supports SLI and it works well it's fantastic, buut over the past year it's been way more often that the games I've been playing haven't supported it. Some of them add it in later, but most don't. And sometimes even though you get higher FPS, you can still get worse performance and some awful micro-stuttering.

It's a much better option to go for 1 very powerful single card, rather than 2 decent cards. I'll be going single card again once I feel that mine need an upgrade.

Oh, I thought you were going for a single card. What's your plans for SLI?

I've been running SLI since early 2015, and while there's times it's great, there's a lot of other times where it hasn't been. When a game supports SLI and it works well it's fantastic, buut over the past year it's been way more often that the games I've been playing haven't supported it. Some of them add it in later, but most don't. And sometimes even though you get higher FPS, you can still get worse performance and some awful micro-stuttering.

It's a much better option to go for 1 very powerful single card, rather than 2 decent cards. I'll be going single card again once I feel that mine need an upgrade.

Come to think of it i dont have the room for two cards lol

SLI is not supported for the GTX 1060 in general by Nvidia, so the recommendation for the MSI card still stands.

If you want Multi-GPU capability, you'll have to opt for 2 RX 580's. But then again, that only makes sense if your motherboard supports it and if you only want to buy the second card later. If you got the cash for both right now already, then, as RevolvingPrawn said, a single, more powerful GPU is gonna yield the better results in most scenarios.

I'd just stay away from sli, especially if you are going for low end GPU. If you can afford 2 low end GPU's, then you're better off just getting one powerful GPU. 

$390 later and i bought the card, there was a shipping fee but its hidden until you commit to buy plus the currency conversion. 

On a side note Amazon is set to open stores in Australia, so looking forward to shop there :)

In all the talk I've lost what you went for? 

All this talk about GPU's is making me very impatient for the next GPU's to come along so I can replace my 980.

Hughesy said:

In all the talk I've lost what you went for? 

All this talk about GPU's is making me very impatient for the next GPU's to come along so I can replace my 980.

This one mate https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-GAMING-X-6G.html#hero-overview 

So not only do you have more Vram than what was a high end GPU (980) it's also similar performance to mine, crying. Great choice though :D

@Hughesy @RevolvingPrawn Can you guys recommend a good 6 inch fan to extract heat? The one ive got isn't doing its job as the that good.

What size in mm? We don't go by inches on the fans here :p

152mm    

Are you sure it's not 140mm? The usual fan sizes in PC's are 120mm or 140mm, and then after 140mm it jumps up to 180mm. How did you measure it? Found a pic that might help.

Did you measure it the same way it says 'diagonale'? Cos if so then that's a 120mm fan :) Also how do you plan on connecting it power-wise?

In general though without naming a specific fan, most from Corsair, Noctua, or be quiet! are gonna be good. You'll want something for airflow though so unless it actually says 'airflow' then you'll be looking for something called CFM. The hgiher the CFM number is the more air it'll move :)

What size in mm? We don't go by inches on the fans here :p

152mm    

Are you sure it's not 140mm? The usual fan sizes in PC's are 120mm or 140mm, and then after 140mm it jumps up to 180mm. How did you measure it? Found a pic that might help.

Did you measure it the same way it says 'diagonale'? Cos if so then that's a 120mm fan :) Also how do you plan on connecting it power-wise?

In general though without naming a specific fan, most from Corsair, Noctua, or be quiet! are gonna be good. You'll want something for airflow though so unless it actually says 'airflow' then you'll be looking for something called CFM. The hgiher the CFM number is the more air it'll move :)

It's the last size on the list mate.

Ok so that's a 120mm fan then :p Where does the cable on the end of it go? And out of the 3 below which connector is on the end of it's cable?

Ok so that's a 120mm fan then :p Where does the cable on the end of it go? And out of the 3 below which connector is on the end of it's cable?

The cable connects to the motherboard and its the middle connection in the pic :)

Ok, see if you can find the same fan in the link below at a site that ships to you :) Becauuse it has a 4-pin connecter you'll need a PWM fan which this one is, but you gotta make sure that when you find it on your end it says PWM again.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-be-quiet!-pure-wings-2-9-blade-pwm-airflow-pressure-fan-1500rpm-514cfm-202db-rifle-bearing-bla

Ok, see if you can find the same fan in the link below at a site that ships to you :) Becauuse it has a 4-pin connecter you'll need a PWM fan which this one is, but you gotta make sure that when you find it on your end it says PWM again.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-be-quiet!-pure-wings-2-9-blade-pwm-airflow-pressure-fan-1500rpm-514cfm-202db-rifle-bearing-bla

Thanks for the link, ive been looking on here too https://www.pccasegear.com 

@RevolvingPrawn @Hughesy In looking at ordering this  https://www.pccasegear.com/products/27272/corsair-obsidian-450d-mid-tower-case-with-window

Is the case any good?