Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

aerocrane said:
@aerocrane

Neat job there.  Its screaming out
(literally? :)) for a 3rd party cooler though
You are right, I really need a cooler on it. The machine isn't loud though, as the case has some soundproofing :)
Got any recommendations for a CPU cooler? I probably have to wait until June before buying anything though, don't have much time to spend on the PC and money is a bit tight.
What sort of budget do you have in mind?

Herby007 said:
It looks like my PC has developed a rather serious problem; it doesn't like turning on anymore.

Well, it turns on, but it doesn't boot to the BIOS and doesn't power my USB devices. Monitor just stays black. Everything else lights up (LED lights on case, can hear fans spinning etc). First thing I did was take out 2GB of my RAM that I got from a mate. No real logic to it, other than it was running at a different frequency and it was the easiest thing to remove from my PC. Booted straight away after that...

Then today happened, and again it didn't want to boot. This time, I took out my 8 year old HDD (which, whilst having an old copy of Windows, was the device that had the boot settings) and bingo, launched first time. Scared for tomorrow though.

If it doesn't boot again, I'm thinking my PSU might be playing up. If it is, then that requires a new PSU to even test my theory that it is the PSU. If it's not the PSU, then that leaves the motherboard (Unless both my HDD are the problem...fuck that). First problems I've ran into with this computer, sucks.

Either way, I want to change my case and get a new HDD now. Seriously considering a SSD, need to get my research hat on.
given how well my SSD is working I'd definitely recommend that if you can afford one that is
Knew you were gonna jump on the SSD mention ;) 

Sorry to hear your PC is playing up Herby :( 
I agree with sj about the SSD though, the performance increase in Windows with one is incredible! It does help with games too but it was mainly the speed of Windows itself where I really noticed the diffetencd
Problem with SSD's is they have a short life span because they run at higher speeds than the HDD's.
Not sure if I'd agree with that... SSD's run at higher speeds but they have no moving parts and no spinning disk like a normal HDD does. Plus mine deffo runs at a cooler temp to my HDD's.

They can get corrupted easier though. I had to do a complete Windows reinstall 2 months after I got it, but since then it's been great :)

Herby007 said:
It looks like my PC has developed a rather serious problem; it doesn't like turning on anymore.

Well, it turns on, but it doesn't boot to the BIOS and doesn't power my USB devices. Monitor just stays black. Everything else lights up (LED lights on case, can hear fans spinning etc). First thing I did was take out 2GB of my RAM that I got from a mate. No real logic to it, other than it was running at a different frequency and it was the easiest thing to remove from my PC. Booted straight away after that...

Then today happened, and again it didn't want to boot. This time, I took out my 8 year old HDD (which, whilst having an old copy of Windows, was the device that had the boot settings) and bingo, launched first time. Scared for tomorrow though.

If it doesn't boot again, I'm thinking my PSU might be playing up. If it is, then that requires a new PSU to even test my theory that it is the PSU. If it's not the PSU, then that leaves the motherboard (Unless both my HDD are the problem...fuck that). First problems I've ran into with this computer, sucks.

Either way, I want to change my case and get a new HDD now. Seriously considering a SSD, need to get my research hat on.
given how well my SSD is working I'd definitely recommend that if you can afford one that is

I agree with sj about the SSD though, the performance increase in Windows with one is incredible! It does help with games too but it was mainly the speed of Windows itself where I really noticed the diffetencd
Problem with SSD's is they have a short life span because they run at higher speeds than the HDD's.
Not sure if I'd agree with that... SSD's run at higher speeds but they have no moving parts and no spinning disk like a normal HDD does. Plus mine deffo runs at a cooler temp to my HDD's.

They can get corrupted easier though. I had to do a complete Windows reinstall 2 months after I got it, but since then it's been great :)
Apparently the life span is 1 -2 years

Herby007 said:

Apparently the life span is 1 -2 years

it depends on what you use it for cougar if you're using it in a server type system then yes it won't last long because a server has to deal with lots and lolts of files also it has difficulty dealing with large files but if your just using it as a boot up drive and for gaming in your basic PC then it'll last just as long as your average hard drive. I researched all this before deciding to get mine. I do have games that do generate quite large files but withthose programs I was going to use my conventional hard drive anyway so the effect will be minimal.

Everything I've read has said 5 years plus for an SSD. The numbers I found said around 500,000 hours for a standard HDD, and about 2,000,000 hours for an SSD.

But the only real way to settle this is 2 years from now (I'll still be here lol) if my SSD is still working I'll tell you. And 5 years from now if it's still working I'll tell you :p

Everything I've read has said 5 years plus for an SSD. The numbers I found said around 500,000 hours for a standard HDD, and about 2,000,000 hours for an SSD.

But the only real way to settle this is 2 years from now (I'll still be here lol) if my SSD is still working I'll tell you. And 5 years from now if it's still working I'll tell you :p
I'm happy with my HDD's

Well, even if it doesn't last 1-2 years, I've got 3 seperate backups of my system that get updated monthly now and the SSD was only £65 so it won't be a problem :)

yesh those aer the numbers I read on the crucial site as well where I got mine

Well, even if it doesn't last 1-2 years, I've got 3 seperate backups of my system that get updated monthly now and the SSD was only £65 so it won't be a problem :)
mine was £200 but then it's one of the larger capacity ones being 500gb

Fair shout bud :) I looked at the larger capacity ones, but in the end I went for a 128GB. Even with my OS and Program Files installed on it, I've got roughly 80GB spare. Everything else is seperated, like videos, pictures and music are stored on my old 500GB, and games go on the 1TB.

Fair shout bud :) I looked at the larger capacity ones, but in the end I went for a 128GB. Even with my OS and Program Files installed on it, I've got roughly 80GB spare. Everything else is seperated, like videos, pictures and music are stored on my old 500GB, and games go on the 1TB.
yeah it depends on your budget as they can be quite expensive the 1 tb one would have been £300 but I didn't really want to pay quite that much plus I was still thinking that most of the older games I have don't need the boost it wsa mostly newer games and the next gen type games(PS4/XB1) that I was planning to use it for along with being my primary boot drive so I'd be happy to run the older stuff off the hard drive anyway as I was planning on setting up a partition for them

MrDeap said:

mine look like that

Sabertooth X79
i7 3930k
8X4GB DDR3
Creative Xi-Fi Titanium HD
7970GHz clock with a Accelero Cooler
1000W PSU
6 Hard drives & a BluRay Burner

It's not like it is new. :P

For those who wonder how long is the 7970 with the accelero cooler.

]

beginning to wonder whrther Cyberpower really knowwhat they're doing now sa now my Bluray drivwe's given up the ghost :(

beginning to wonder whrther Cyberpower really knowwhat they're doing now sa now my Bluray drivwe's given up the ghost :(
working now but it's broke my F1 2010 disc now had to order a new one from Amazon

Would this:

Be a straight swap for this:

Like are the connectors the same, can they both work with a FX-6100 AMD Six Core 3.30 GHz? I have 8 GB DDR3 RAM too

I was going to upgrade from an AMD Radeon 6670 HD to a AMD Radeon 7750 HD but I am a PC noob who doesn't have a clue if it will work :( 

@AMS97KRR It would be a straight swap, but I really wouldn't recommend either of them. Neither is certified, and as far as I can tell the CiT is only 30 amps split over 2 rails. It has a 6 pin PCI-E but I honestly wuldn't trust that to power a GPU properly. I wouldn't trust that PSU to do anything properly.

The best thing for you to do, spend about £9 extra on one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-500B-BRONZE-Power-Supply/dp/B00DZ6R9GE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401112101&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+500w

It's 80+ Bronze rated, has 40 amps on a single rail, has more SATA power links, and has 2x 6 pin PCI-E. So if you decided to go higher than the 7750 (which I don't think needs a 6 pin anyway) you'd be sorted. Most cards above the 7750 will need at least one 6 pin. Plus EVGA are well known for high quality products, CiT stuff looks flashy, but it's really not great in the end.
Best way to put it, EVGA are Waitrose, CiT is Lidl.

Oh and one other thing, what motherboard do you have? If you did go with the CiT one, it only has a 4 pin 12v cable. The Coolermaster you're replacing has a 4+4 12v. So if your motherboard needs the 4+4 then that CiT PSU wouldn't do the job.

@RevolvingPrawn - Thanks for the help. So this is my motherboard. So if I bought the PSU you recommended, where can I find a cheap, certified Graphics card that is in the 7000 series AMD Radeon? A 7750 or something like that?

AMS97KRR said:
@RevolvingPrawn - Thanks for the help. So this is my motherboard. So if I bought the PSU you recommended, where can I find a cheap, certified Graphics card that is in the 7000 series AMD Radeon? A 7750 or something like that?
Ok, you definitely need 4+4 pin for that one bud. The CiT PSU you linked would have only had half the connection you need to power your CPU.

As for the GPU, when you say cheap how much do you mean? If you tell me the maximum you'd want to spend I'll have a look around :)

Ok cheers, so the EVGA one would fit my motherboard? 

Never bought one before on its own, so maybe £85? Maybe £90? :)

Yep, the EVGA one is perfect for your system, and it leaves you a bit of freedom for future upgrades :) 

I'll go with £90 and do some looking about for you shortly :)

Yep, the EVGA one is perfect for your system, and it leaves you a bit of freedom for future upgrades :) 

I'll go with £90 and do some looking about for you shortly :)
Ok thanks mate :)