Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread

Hughesy said:

I agree, I had a fan controller like that and it was awful, it actually made the fans produce a high pitched noise they didn't make when using the motherboard. Corsair are bringing out a new Commander fan controller, maybe worth looking at. It's what I'm going to buy soon ;)

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/corsair-introduces-a-new-range-of-link-fan-and-lighting-controllers.html

High pitch noise is most likely the wattage is too high per channel or total for the controller, seen that complaint a few times

That really is a beast lol. The only thing I'd look at diferently is the Aerocool Touch 2100. I owned one for about 6 months before it got annoying to have to press many times to get all fans running faster for gaming, and then press many times to turn them down for idle.

I'm using Corsair Link and the Commander Mini to control all fans and lighting now, so it's only 2 clicks to go to faster running fans, and 2 clicks to go to idle speed fans. But I also don't recommend it because Corsair's Link software is horrifically awful with the amount of problems and bugs it has.

So have a look around and see if you can find something else that can control your fans via software, if there's anything else out there that is! If you're planning on pretty much always running your fans at one speed though than the Touch 2100 would be ok, but it's not perfect. Sometimes it lets you run your fans down to 700RPM, other times it will only let you go down to 800RPM, depends what mood it's in ;)

Having just revied the ml120s and ml140s power draw apparently the Nzxt lx lcd fan controller will do it (id looked for different fans and wattage was to high) whats peoples opinions on that one?

@Hughesy @RevolvingPrawn I went to install the gpu but my psu only has a 6 pin pcie connector and the card needs a 8 pin or 6+2 pin, can i use a adapter or should i upgrade the psu?

@Hughesy @RevolvingPrawn I went to install the gpu but my psu only has a 6 pin pcie connector and the card needs a 8 pin or 6+2 pin, can i use a adapter or should i upgrade the psu?

What psu is it

Ah didn't know what PSU you had. You can buy an adapter, although it's more advisable to buy a PSU that has 8pin. 

Hughesy said:

Ah didn't know what PSU you had. You can buy an adapter, although it's more advisable to buy a PSU that has 8pin. 

Looking at this Corsair psu but reviews say its only a entry level?

It is entry level, mainly because of the bronze efficiency energy rating. It would still do the job though if you're not fussed by efficiency. 

Hughesy said:

It is entry level, mainly because of the bronze efficiency energy rating. It would still do the job though if you're not fussed by efficiency. 

Ok thanks after a psu good enough for medium to heavy gaming.

That one would work fine, but if you can I'd go for a 80plus gold rated PSU

I ran the psu calculator and said i could run everything on a 430w psu and thats including the 1060, and it linked me to a 650w psu to buy.

So just realised the part list I loaded yesterday had some outdated parts haha heres the new link and part list.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/R4pp3r/saved/CxYCJx

CPU:   Intel - Core i7 68503.6GHz 6-rocessor

CPU Cooler:   Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
(Changed to corsair due to multiple issues of computer not detecting the Krakens)

Motherboard:  Asus - Rampage V Edition 10 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard 

Memory:   Corsair - Vengeance LED 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory 

Storage:   Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  

Video Card:  MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SEA HAWK X Video Card
(Might get a second but not sure its worth the investment thoughts)
(Will change fans to 2x Corsair - ML120 Pro LED Red 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan in push pull configuration)

Case:   NZXT - Phantom 630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply:  Corsair - AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive:  Pioneer - BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

Case Fans:  
   Corsair - ML140 Pro LED 97.0 CFM 140mm Fan

Fan Controller  NZXT - Sentry LX Fan Controller
(thoughts on this controller?)

Keyboard:  Razer - BlackWidow Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard 

Monitor:   32" 4k 4ms a​sus predat​or xb321hk

I ran the psu calculator and said i could run everything on a 430w psu and thats including the 1060, and it linked me to a 650w psu to buy.

I thought 650W would be fine :)

@Hughesy @RevolvingPrawn Picking this one up on Friday 
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33119/xfx-ts-series-gold-650w-power-supply

Cool, looks decent enough. Never had an XFX PSU, but most of them are similar really. Shame you can't use the new GPU now, but at least Friday isn't far away  :)

I always recommend the Golden Green and Platinum King series PSUs from Super Flower, they're some top notch quality, the Golden Green HX-550 (550W) would probably suit your needs @couger1981 ). Seasonic PSUs are very high quality too.
The XFX PSU you chose is manufactured by Seasonic and just rebranded, seems like it's well built/good quality.

@R4pp3r: Are you going for pure gaming, or do you need your PC for workstation tasks too?
If it's the former, an i7-6850K will give you absolutely no advantage over an i7-7700K, in most games it will even perform worse.
The 6850K uses the LGA 2011-3 platform, which is not going to be compatible with any future CPU architectures, so a future CPU upgrade will force you to buy a new mainboard too. AMD's Ryzen 5 and 7 series offer similar performance, while pretty much guaranteeing you'll be able to put the next generation of their CPUs into current mainboards, and Intel's upcoming LGA 2066 platform with Skylake X and Kaby Lake X CPUs will be pretty much the same, though that one isn't released yet.

Finally, a 1200W PSU is a complete overkill unless you want to run at least 3 GTX 1080s (or higher) in your rig, while heavily overclocking your CPU.
For 2 GTX 1080 Ti GPUs and a 6850K you should opt for a 850W PSU without, adn 1000W PSU with overclocking. 1200W is just a bit too much.

Hope I could help :smile:

DragoCubX said:

I always recommend the Golden Green and Platinum King series PSUs from Super Flower, they're some top notch quality, the Golden Green HX-550 (550W) would probably suit your needs @couger1981 ). Seasonic PSUs are very high quality too.
The XFX PSU you chose is manufactured by Seasonic and just rebranded, seems like it's well built/good quality.

@R4pp3r: Are you going for pure gaming, or do you need your PC for workstation tasks too?
If it's the former, an i7-6850K will give you absolutely no advantage over an i7-7700K, in most games it will even perform worse.
The 6850K uses the LGA 2011-3 platform, which is not going to be compatible with any future CPU architectures, so a future CPU upgrade will force you to buy a new mainboard too. AMD's Ryzen 5 and 7 series offer similar performance, while pretty much guaranteeing you'll be able to put the next generation of their CPUs into current mainboards, and Intel's upcoming LGA 2066 platform with Skylake X and Kaby Lake X CPUs will be pretty much the same, though that one isn't released yet.

Finally, a 1200W PSU is a complete overkill unless you want to run at least 3 GTX 1080s (or higher) in your rig, while heavily overclocking your CPU.
For 2 GTX 1080 Ti GPUs and a 6850K you should opt for a 850W PSU without, adn 1000W PSU with overclocking. 1200W is just a bit too much.

Hope I could help :smile:

Mostly gaming ive been tossing and turning on the iasue you raised with the 6850k stoll not sure where i stand i might wait for intels new cpus like you said never had Ryzen before nor hear much about them which is why im not hugely keen on them. with the psu its over kill to allow for any future changes and additions i dont mind paying the extra for it

R4pp3r said:

Mostly gaming ive been tossing and turning on the iasue you raised with the 6850k stoll not sure where i stand i might wait for intels new cpus like you said never had Ryzen before nor hear much about them which is why im not hugely keen on them. with the psu its over kill to allow for any future changes and additions i dont mind paying the extra for it

As for the CPU: It really sounds like an i7-7700K would be the best choice for you then. Ryzen CPUs are good if you either get workstation loads regularly and/or when you go below a certain value budget-wise (<200 bucks). I think Ryzen would not be optimal for you, adn a 6850K would be even less so.
Trust me when I tell you that a 7700K will perform better at your chosen task (gaming)  in 99.9% of the time, while costing you less. Which leaves you more cash to spend on a super--duper bling-bling mainboard, if you need all those little extra features.
If you still feel like you need something more expensive, I recommend you to wait for Intel to release their Kaby Lake X CPUs (i7-7740K and upwards), they'll probably be even better.

As for the PSU; As I said, unless you're planning on getting 3+ high-end GPUs and overclock both all those GPUs and you CPU heavily, 1200W is more than you'll ever possibly be able of using. Invest in a 1000W top quality PSU (e.g. the Super Flower Leadex 1000W with 80+ Platinum), and you'll be more than safe, even if you chose to run 2x 1080 Ti's and a 150W CPU, and overclock them on top.
For a single 1080 Ti build, I'd recommend a 550-650W PSU. Add the 300W a second 1080 Ti could theoretically pull (which is almost never going to be the case), and you land at 850-950W. 1000W is the max I'd think about.
Last but not least, with a 1200W PSU, you'll not only pay more for the PSU itself, but also while running the rig, because the typical load it would receive would make it very inefficient, meaning it would require more power to deliver than a lower-wattage PSU would at the same load. Please do reconsider, or go for a 3-4x 1080 Ti build straight :mrgreen:

DragoCubX said:

R4pp3r said:

As for the CPU: It really sounds like an i7-7700K would be the best choice for you then. Ryzen CPUs are good if you either get workstation loads regularly and/or when you go below a certain value budget-wise (<200 bucks). I think Ryzen would not be optimal for you, adn a 6850K would be even less so.
Trust me when I tell you that a 7700K will perform better at your chosen task (gaming)  in 99.9% of the time, while costing you less. Which leaves you more cash to spend on a super--duper bling-bling mainboard, if you need all those little extra features.
If you still feel like you need something more expensive, I recommend you to wait for Intel to release their Kaby Lake X CPUs (i7-7740K and upwards), they'll probably be even better.

As for the PSU; As I said, unless you're planning on getting 3+ high-end GPUs and overclock both all those GPUs and you CPU heavily, 1200W is more than you'll ever possibly be able of using. Invest in a 1000W top quality PSU (e.g. the Super Flower Leadex 1000W with 80+ Platinum), and you'll be more than safe, even if you chose to run 2x 1080 Ti's and a 150W CPU, and overclock them on top.
For a single 1080 Ti build, I'd recommend a 550-650W PSU. Add the 300W a second 1080 Ti could theoretically pull (which is almost never going to be the case), and you land at 850-950W. 1000W is the max I'd think about.
Last but not least, with a 1200W PSU, you'll not only pay more for the PSU itself, but also while running the rig, because the typical load it would receive would make it very inefficient, meaning it would require more power to deliver than a lower-wattage PSU would at the same load. Please do reconsider, or go for a 3-4x 1080 Ti build straight :mrgreen:

Haha well im planning on eventually have 3 of the 32 inch screens so i might have to haha ill keep it in mind though might wait for the new cpus, thanks

Okay so researched the 7740k a little bit and so might wait until its out and see what Mobos come out not in any hurry anyway

The new Lga 2066 is due out next month, looking forward to see if they are going to be good.

The new Lga 2066 is due out next month, looking forward to see if they are going to be good.

Yeah looks good on paper but who knows should be very interesting 

@Hughesy @RevolvingPrawn The computer wont boot past the post boot screen with the new gpu installed. The gpu lights up and both fans are running good and displays the post boot screen but other than that it gets stuck at that screen. Any ideas?

Edit: I read something that i need to go into bios and set boot device to PEG?