Jump to content Jump to content

I normally go for high end stuff but the 980 is a stupid price. The 970 though at around £270 is much much better and could kill AMD. I can't justfy the price of a 980. Really if you have a 780 like I do it's pointless so I won't be getting one. What card do you have now bud as I've forgotten? £370 would be the max I'd pay for a 980 considering the price of a 970, and I bet they'll release a 980ti once AMD release the 390x.
Around £450, pretty reasonable for it's performance :)

yeah read about it on the Nvidia site. Will be a while before I get it though and that's assuming I do. But they're always finding better ways to improve graphics and I can't afford to change my computer around every few months. I usually like to wait till more than one part looks like it's getting old and then go with a new system and seeing as I only bought the system I have in February I don't think that's a problem I have to face yet.
@Hughesy A Palit GTX 770 OC atm, so buying the 970 wouldn't be a huge upgrade. I really like my current card, but if I do get the 980 I have a plan.
When I upgraded to my i7 and 770 I sold my FX 8320 and GTX 660 to my stepdad . And then using his old parts (E8500 & Radeon 7750) I built a PC that I use for watching movies/YouTube/whatever on my TV. Sometimes I use it for a bit of gaming too because even though it isn't high spec it handles itself pretty well! The 7750 is on it's way out though, one of it's fans is failing and the bearings sound nasty on boot and shutdown. So I'd sell my 770 to him, knock some cash off in exchange for the 660 back and stick that in my TVPC. Plus I wouldn't be paying for all of the 980, birthday next week and saving the money from that and Christmas I'd probably only be paying around £200 of my own money. As for cards that are way overpriced, there's a certain Nvidia card that shares a name with one of the 3 Destiny player types, far overpriced to me! 

@sjsharp2010 You mean if one part looks old you buy a complete new system? Or just replace that part? I would just wait till my GPU starts to struggle, but if I get the 980 when would I have to buy a new GPU after that? 3 or 4 years maybe? Maybe longer? Plus with the plan I have above it wouldn't end up costing me too much cash in the end :) 
Fair enough bud sounds like a good plan ;) I'm not getting the bug for upgrading anymore, since 2010 I've had a ati 5850, AMD 6950, Nvidia 670 and now my current card 780 lol I was buying upgrades because I could and not because I should :# I'll skip this gen of cards and probably buy the next version. I game at 1440p, yet still don't feel the need to upgrade. The only limiting factor will be the 3GB of vram. The early 980s will only have 4GB but later they will bring out ones with 6 or 8GB (I can't quite remember)

no I usually wait until all the parts in my computer start getting old and don't perform as well like with my Acer as the processor and graphics cards were both getting old and not performing at peak anymore and hadn't been for a while so  needed replacing anyway plus also the timing meant I didn't have to top up my liquid cooling as that would have been needed too if I was going to continue to use it. I do upgrade the graphics cards sometimes when I've bought factory built machines such  as my Acer when I bought it only had GTX 260's and when the liquid cooling needed doing I asked the guy to put 2 660's in there as I felt the graphics needed upgrading. But with my latest system I've tried to get all the parts I want right from the off this time. Besides these cards don't look like they're a huge step forward compared with what I have anyway so I doubt it'll be a problem. I don't think my system's struggling anyway in fact my 770's are handling everything I've thrown at them flawlessly even the newer next gen games I've bought.

I just don't like opening up and changing parts in my computer any more than I need to. So I try to get the best I can afford at that point to try help prevent myself from having to do so until all the parts get old then buy a new system with newer and better parts. So like I said it'll be a while before I'm buying this card and that's assuming I do which I doubt as they're always bringing out something new and I'll likely be aiming for that or whatever the newest most powerful one I can afford at the time. In February it was the GTX770 although now if I really wanted to I could go higher but I just don't see the need to given how well everything has held together thus far. The only graphical glitch I've had with my new system  is with ME1 and that's due to the CPU not the GPU because in the Noveria and Ilos missions Shepard and the team you take with you turn to big black blocks as do any other object in the area. Luckily there is a way around it thanks to the console and I do know how to fix that using it. Obviously if they ever do decide to release the Trilogy onto the PS4/XB1 though they will need to fix that glitch given those consoles use similar processors hopefully if they do then they can pass the fix over to PC as well. From what I understand it's due to how AMD have their 8-core processors configured but I don't know for sure as I'm not an expert at that.

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn what cpu are you running now?
He's running a i7 4770k, so soon when he gets that 980 he'll have a better PC than me. He's definitely got the upgrade bug like I had as he's had so many different parts in a short space of time. o:)
If most of my money didn't go towards bills then i probably would too :) Also i'm running a i5 2500k so should do me for awhile.
Hughesy said:
He's running a i7 4770k, so soon when he gets that 980 he'll have a better PC than me. He's definitely got the upgrade bug like I had as he's had so many different parts in a short space of time. o:)
If most of my money didn't go towards bills then i probably would too :) Also i'm running a i5 2500k so should do me for awhile.
Yea I have an i5 3570k so won't be changing that for a long time. CPUs are becoming less important for gaming these days especially when you see how weak the ones in the new consoles are. They may be 8cores but are clocked very low (something like 1.6ghz)
Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Yea I have an i5 3570k so won't be changing that for a long time. CPUs are becoming less important for gaming these days especially when you see how weak the ones in the new consoles are. They may be 8cores but are clocked very low (something like 1.6ghz)
yeah I should be good for a long time too I think.  I'm using an 8 core processor myself although mine clocks at 4ghz as it's the FX8350. But then I only bought it in February I could have gone higher but I thought considering my system is air cooled it would only generate more heat and therefore could potentially cause more problems down the line if I tried to go too high. 4ghz is powerful enough to power the majority of games anyway at full throttle.  Plus the chip when I looked and read up about it had a very good gaming score. Hasn't let me down yet though so I'm pleased. Yeah you're right @Hughesy it's more in the graphics cards nowadays than the CPU but it depends on the game.
Just spent the last 15 mins reading the comments on this article, the Ricoh guy is an idiot. All of Steve's comments were brilliant. As much as I love my X1, I know it doesn't even compare to a good gaming rig.

http://gamingbolt.com/pny-reveal-the-gtx-970-gtx-980
Lol that guy shut him up it seems though B) . That last post was epic even if it did give me a headache with all those numbers...
It is but at the same time it's not. It's happened before but once I unplugged the wheel it worked, but this time it didn't. It might even be to do with the PC driver or something so I'm only going to use it on X1 for now and see if it happens again at some point. I've only had 2 hours of sleep as I was raging so couldn't sleep lol. I tested it for about half an hour on Forza 5 and it was fine. I couldn't use it for longer as lack of sleep really affects my MS so feel really bad today :(
Just going to play Tropico 4 in a bit as I haven't played it for a while. I want Trpoico 5 but can't afford it after paying for Fifa 15 for me and my brother.
@Hughesy Have you seen this bug @Hughesy‌ 

Good to hear about the wheel though, from the sounds of it it's gotta be a problem between the PC and wheel.

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=14472&game=FIFA%2015&title=FIFA%2015%20PC%20Version%20Bug%20Has%20Every%20Player%20Running%20At%20The%20Ball%20-%20Video
Yea seen that bug bud from videos. It's fine on X1 and my brother played the PC demo and he didn't encounter that bug, it's pretty funny though. Does anyone else here play Tropico 4? Probably should post this in the game thread as more people look at it but hay ho. I haven't played it for ages so I'm just getting back into it. I find it a lot more fun than Simcity.
Hughesy said:
Yea seen that bug bud from videos. It's fine on X1 and my brother played the PC demo and he didn't encounter that bug, it's pretty funny though. Does anyone else here play Tropico 4? Probably should post this in the game thread as more people look at it but hay ho. I haven't played it for ages so I'm just getting back into it. I find it a lot more fun than Simcity.

same here I've not encountered it either on the demo either on PC or XB1 every game I've  played thus far has gone smoothly for me had a game yesterday that went all the way to penalties which was cool but in general it's ran fine for me too.

The only issue I've found is that it's not saving controller settings and every time I boot the demo up I have to set the controls to how I like them before I can play. I'm assuming that's mainly because it's only a demo and doesn't have profile settings and that programmed into it like quite often the final versions do. I've noticed also that it doesn't have options like random weather too so the computer picks weather at random like on the full version too. But again I think that's mainly due to it only being a demo.

@Hughesy I'll have to have a look tomorrow bud, having a night off from gaming :p 

Done some maths (which made my head hurt) and shifted money around into different accounts, and I've figured out I should have my GTX 980 on November 22nd :)
And I've struck a deal with my brother. Gonna give him my GTX 770 in exchange for his R9 270X and write off the difference as his Christmas present. Then the R9 270X goes into my TV PV as it's more or less on the exact same level as the GTX 660 that would have gone in there. Plus my stepdad is actually really happy with the 660 and the games he plays (mostly older flight sims) don't need anything more intense than it. So hopefully it all works out!
New fans and LED's are in and they're looking good!

@Hughesy I said I'd tell you how they perform, and it's good! A lot quieter than my old fans (even though they were quiet!) Sitting here with just my PC on, it's barely louder than when my Xbox One is :) And I've done some idle/load temp comparisons below. Just need to bear in mind that the first 2 tests are with 3 of the old fans at 800 RPM, and 2 at 900 RPM, while the 3rd and 4th tests are with all new fans at 700 RPM, which is why the slight increase in temps I guess!

Aerocool Sharks

Aerocool Dead Silence