Jump to content Jump to content

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn‌ Cheers bud, I'll buy some when I can as I need new fans, as some are old as I didn't use them when I had the watercooling.
No worries bud :) What colour you gonna go for? They don't do green ones :( 
One last test for you, with all fans running at 1200 RPM (still quieter than a single standard molex fan!).

@Hughesy Just realised the temps I posted earlier were actually a bit off :p With my previous fans I had to tape a bit of clear plastic over the top half of the side window fan to stop it from making a weird annoying humming sound. With these having less blades and a lower RPM, the humming sound is gone so I just took off the plastic and my CPU temps dropped by 3 degrees :) 
Sorry to keep posting about them lol, just pretty happy with how they're going :p 

Hughesy said:
I normally go for high end stuff but the 980 is a stupid price. The 970 though at around £270 is much much better and could kill AMD. I can't justfy the price of a 980. Really if you have a 780 like I do it's pointless so I won't be getting one. What card do you have now bud as I've forgotten? £370 would be the max I'd pay for a 980 considering the price of a 970, and I bet they'll release a 980ti once AMD release the 390x.
Review of 970 on Eurogamer very positive.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review
@Hughesy Wonderful news :) I've been hoping that would be the case, but even if they'd done the £25 deal they did when W8 first came out I'd have done that too :)

@couger1981 I'm with Hughesy on this. 8.1 for me is a better OS than Windows 7. When it first came out Windows 8 wasn't that great, like you had to do longer workarounds to do things that were simple before, but with the updates and changes over the last year it's dramatically improved. For me it's not very nice having to use W7 on the work laptops now, and even worse having to use XP on our old Council computers. 

Plus it's been proven that games run faster on W8. Only by a couple of frames, but still faster ;)
@Hughesy Wonderful news :) I've been hoping that would be the case, but even if they'd done the £25 deal they did when W8 first came out I'd have done that too :)

@couger1981 I'm with Hughesy on this. 8.1 for me is a better OS than Windows 7. When it first came out Windows 8 wasn't that great, like you had to do longer workarounds to do things that were simple before, but with the updates and changes over the last year it's dramatically improved. For me it's not very nice having to use W7 on the work laptops now, and even worse having to use XP on our old Council computers. 

Plus it's been proven that games run faster on W8. Only by a couple of frames, but still faster ;)
I downgraded from 8 to 7 ;)

And you'll probably need it if you want to utilise DX12, as I think games will jump on board with it. It's going to be closer to metal like consoles, so performance will be a lot better :) 

@couger1981‌ That's just stupid lol but whatever floats your boat.......

I downgraded from 8 to 7 ;)
I remember downgrading from Vista back to XP when that came out after realising that as good as Vista looked it wasn't doing the job. Fortunately my experience with Vista helped me a great deal when finding my way around in Win 7 so it became easier to learn what needed to be done when using it. The good thing was I found Win 7 a lot more reliable when it came to getting things done unlike it's predecessor. After reading about problems with Win 8 and the subsequent systems I felt it best to just stay away given I had already been burnt once by these dodgy OS's also I knew win 7 would be good for a long time anyway so probably won't have to change. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Win 8 or 8.1 as I can't speak from experience but it definitely made me more hesitant.
Exactly! And from what I've read, W7 only has a few of the DX 11.1 features, while W8 is running 11.2. And with DX12 hopefully increasing performance even further, sticking with W7 just doesn't make sense. I mean even right now W8 use less system resources, boots and shuts down faster, and has more built-in security features.

It may not be the easiest transition between OS's, but for the features and performance increase, plus the fact that W9 will be like both combined (and free!) it makes sense.
Nah, I'd use a £62 one though. And only this one because it's about as quick as a laptop i5, and it's pretty easy to overclock.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-fx-4300-black-edition-vishera-quad-core-s-am3plus-38ghz-8mb-total-cache-95w-retail
Ok thanks.
No worries bud. What was the £50 one anyhow?
Nah, I'd use a £62 one though. And only this one because it's about as quick as a laptop i5, and it's pretty easy to overclock.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-fx-4300-black-edition-vishera-quad-core-s-am3plus-38ghz-8mb-total-cache-95w-retail
Ok thanks.
A member in the clan on Batracer wanted help with a pc build and he only had £400 - 500 to spend and i said a decent cheap cpu would be around £230 and the clan leader said he can get decent cpu's for £50.

Ok thanks.
A member in the clan on Batracer wanted help with a pc build and he only had £400 - 500 to spend and i said a decent cheap cpu would be around £230 and the clan leader said he can get decent cpu's for £50.
Ah I see. Well, if he thinks a CPU at £50 would be decent then he probably doesn't really know what he's talking about. I'm not gonna say one at that price would be bad, but it sure as hell wouldn't be all that speedy. Even the one I linked you to, while being ok and pretty good for general computing, isn't really all that good for gaming (trust me, I had the FX 4100). 

Personally now, the lowest I'd go for a good CPU is an i5.

Ok thanks.
Ah I see. Well, if he thinks a CPU at £50 would be decent then he probably doesn't really know what he's talking about. I'm not gonna say one at that price would be bad, but it sure as hell wouldn't be all that speedy. Even the one I linked you to, while being ok and pretty good for general computing, isn't really all that good for gaming (trust me, I had the FX 4100). 

Personally now, the lowest I'd go for a good CPU is an i5.
He justs wants it for basic surfing, emails and kids homework.

Yeah the clan leader says he knows his stuff lol