Jump to content Jump to content

- Intel Core i7-4790K
- Asus Z97-A
- Corsair Hydro H100i cooler
- NZXT Phantom 410 case (Gun Metal colour)
- Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHz RAM
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming Edition 4096MB
- Corsair RM Series RM 750W power supply
- Samsung 256GB SSD 850 PRO
- Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB
- Creative Sound Blaster Zx
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit
- Pioneer BDR-209DBK BD/DVD/CD Burner

and to top it off: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" G-Sync 144Hz monitor
- Intel Core i7-4790K
- Asus Z97-A

Nice! That's gonna be  beast of a setup :D From Friday we'll be running similar specs but yours tops mine a bit :p 
- Intel Core i7-4790K
- Asus Z97-A

Nice! That's gonna be  beast of a setup :D From Friday we'll be running similar specs but yours tops mine a bit :p 
yeah nice rig I used to have sound blaster cards in my systems
You two have made my PC feel depressed  :p Still I have a 1440p monitor so I atleast have something better than @RevolvingPrawn‌  o:) I'm going to try and hold on to my 780 until the next gen of Nvidia cards (unless AMD pull something amazing out of their arses) 
Hughesy said:
You two have made my PC feel depressed  :p Still I have a 1440p monitor so I atleast have something better than @RevolvingPrawn‌  o:) I'm going to try and hold on to my 780 until the next gen of Nvidia cards (unless AMD pull something amazing out of their arses) 
Lol, what's the refresh rate and size of your monitor? :p 
Hughesy said:
Lol, what's the refresh rate and size of your monitor? :p 
27 inch 60hz. I had a 120hz one but didn't like it for some reason. It's not one of those cheap Korean ones, it cost over £500 B)

2560x1440p beats 1080p no matter what hz it runs at. I was shocked at how much better it looked, it's like when you first went from a sd TV to a HDTV. Having a good monitor with high res/ great colours is just as important as having a good GPU, considering it's what you use to display all that power.
Well, we're on the same size, mines 144Hz though :) Couldn't go back to 60 again, the screen tear was horrific!
No specific reason you didn't like the 120Hz?
I'm not really sure why, it just made me feel ill. I wouldn't know about screen tear as I always use Vsync. It's all personal to what you like. I mean I can still play at 1080p or lower otherwise I wouldn't have an X1/ps4 but if I play games on PC at that they look ugly (ish) compared to 1440p, plus I don't have to use AA really. When does your 980 come bud? I probably would've bought one if I didn't buy the PS4 and only the X1.

Now I don't have a custom waterloop it won't cost me so much to upgrade which is good. I'm just waiting for Shadow of mordor to download, don't think it'll be ready until midnight though as its 34GB :# My two SSD's are going to get full quick with the size of the games now...
Hughesy said:
Well, we're on the same size, mines 144Hz though :) Couldn't go back to 60 again, the screen tear was horrific!
I'm not really sure why, it just made me feel ill. I wouldn't know about screen tear as I always use Vsync. It's all personal to what you like. I mean I can still play at 1080p or lower otherwise I wouldn't have an X1/ps4 but if I play games on PC at that they look ugly (ish) compared to 1440p, plus I don't have to use AA really. When does your 980 come bud? I probably would've bought one if I didn't buy the PS4 and only the X1.

Now I don't have a custom waterloop it won't cost me so much to upgrade which is good. I'm just waiting for Shadow of mordor to download, don't think it'll be ready until midnight though as its 34GB :# My two SSD's are going to get full quick with the size of the games now...

I use Vsync as well on my games but I'm happy at 1080p all the ones that run higher l tend to be bigger in size last I checked and I don't have the room for a bigger screen anyway.

Hughesy said:

I do get what you mean :p It's almost like it's too smooth and it throws your brain off balance a bit, but you do eventually get used to it, and for me now seeing anything below 50fps or so seems a little stuttery.
The 980 should be here Friday morning :) Could have had it today, but I wasn't home and I won't trust my neighbours with something like that. I'm not too worried about games looking a bit ugly at 1080p now though, I'll be testing the DSR/SRT on the 980 when it's in :D 
And it's a shame you bought the PS4 dude, but I'm glad you bought your X1! It's awesome having someone to game with on Destiny :) 

Ah yea, you won't have to buy a new waterblock for your next GPU right? How much did it cost you for just that part? And what size SSD's? I keep seeing 512GB ones for around £150, and they keep tempting me :p But I will hold out this time!
Hughesy said:

I do get what you mean :p It's almost like it's too smooth and it throws your brain off balance a bit, but you do eventually get used to it, and for me now seeing anything below 50fps or so seems a little stuttery.
The 980 should be here Friday morning :) Could have had it today, but I wasn't home and I won't trust my neighbours with something like that. I'm not too worried about games looking a bit ugly at 1080p now though, I'll be testing the DSR/SRT on the 980 when it's in :D 
And it's a shame you bought the PS4 dude, but I'm glad you bought your X1! It's awesome having someone to game with on Destiny :) 

Ah yea, you won't have to buy a new waterblock for your next GPU right? How much did it cost you for just that part? And what size SSD's? I keep seeing 512GB ones for around £150, and they keep tempting me :p But I will hold out this time!
The waterblocks were £70+. I have two 256GB SSD's, they make a massive differnce to a PC, from boot times to general usage and games load amazingly quick compared to a HDD.

Btw my brain works in mysterious ways lol I can see things on monitors that others can't. Because of the way lcd/led monitors are lit I can see flickering black sort of colour in motion. I can't remember the term but someone explained it to me on a tech website and suggested getting this Dell 1440p ips monitor and now it's fine, which means I don't strain my eyes. IPS monitors work differently to LCD/LED which means I don't see it. I'm not even sure if there are good ips 1440p monitors above 60hz as I didn't see any when I bought this one, but it doesn't bother me as I love my current one and don't see the need to go above 60fps.
Ouch! So on top of the amount you spend on a GPU you'd have had to pay another £70 or so? Deffo good to go back to air cooling!
They certainly do bud, I keep telling my bro to get an SSD too, but he's set fast and sticking with his HDD lol. Atm, my drives go 128GB for OS and Programs, 1TB SSHD for videos, pictures and music, 1TB HDD for games, a 2TB HDD for recording, and an external 1TB HDD for backing up. Can be annoying to go back and forth between them all, but I like having it all seperated too :)

Lol, I don't think my eyes are as sensitive to flickering as yours then :p Fair enough though dude, I'd love an IPS monitor, but for me trading that for the higher refresh rate is a must, mainly because even with v-sync on I'd still get screen tear on my old monitor and I hated it! I imagine a 1440p IPS is screen is just awesome to look at though! Have you checked out any of the 4K monitors? Definitely something I'm gonna look at in the future, but while they're priced so high and are mainly 60Hz right now it'll probably be a few years before I really consider it.
Ouch! So on top of the amount you spend on a GPU you'd have had to pay another £70 or so? Deffo good to go back to air cooling!
They certainly do bud, I keep telling my bro to get an SSD too, but he's set fast and sticking with his HDD lol. Atm, my drives go 128GB for OS and Programs, 1TB SSHD for videos, pictures and music, 1TB HDD for games, a 2TB HDD for recording, and an external 1TB HDD for backing up. Can be annoying to go back and forth between them all, but I like having it all seperated too :)

Lol, I don't think my eyes are as sensitive to flickering as yours then :p Fair enough though dude, I'd love an IPS monitor, but for me trading that for the higher refresh rate is a must, mainly because even with v-sync on I'd still get screen tear on my old monitor and I hated it! I imagine a 1440p IPS is screen is just awesome to look at though! Have you checked out any of the 4K monitors? Definitely something I'm gonna look at in the future, but while they're priced so high and are mainly 60Hz right now it'll probably be a few years before I really consider it.
yeah that's kind of how I have my HDD organised too. I use my 500gb SSD for my operating system and more demanding games. My 3tb HDD divided into 3 sections 1 for my more conventional mainstream games. 1 for basic files(vids music)  and other stuff. and one for really old games that I still have that I can get working through things like DOS box.

You shouldn't get screen tear when Vsync was on as that's the whole point of it, so either game,driver or monitor problem lol
Id love a 4k screen but until graphics cards are powerful enough it's not worth it. Just played a bit of Middle Earth shadow of Mordor and it uses all of my 3GB of vram without downloading the high res textures (which use 6GB of vram!) which is why I won't buy a 980. The PS4 has 8GB although not all can be used, which is why it disappointed me that the 980 only has 4gb. They really should've sold the 980 with a minimum of 6gb to start with (there are going to be 980s with 6 or 8gb soon) I only played the game for 30mins but found it really good, and it seems to be well optimised apart from the vram usage.