Jump to content Jump to content

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn‌ I just bought Alien Isolation o:) Got it for £24, love games that scare me so couldn't wait any longer. Hoping it'll be ready before midnight (which it should be) so that I can play it in the dead of night with my Astro A50 headphones on  B)
Enjoy it :p
I will bud, got my nappy ready :p
Okay guys,

A while ago I posted here with my rig and asked for suggestions on what to get to improve it. Times have changed, things have updated, and now I'm looking to upgrade quite soon.

Current Specs.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 (Not over-clocked)
Graphics Card: 1x Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7750 (Also not over-clocked)
Mobo: M5A97 R2.0
Ram: 1x 8GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
HDD: 1x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue
Fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
PSU: Corsair 430W Bronze Plus...yadda yadda..
Screens: 1x 1080p TV, 2x (4:3) 1280 x 1024 screens. (SoftTH all the way! Other than new games :/)

What I really want to upgrade is my GPU, something y'all suggested last time. I'm wanting to keep with AMD, and have been looking at the R9 280, meaning I'd also need a new PSU. 

The R9 280 I'm looking at - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IRTXPBM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2W4INS2V7SZ7D&coliid=I15VEYWM54O0XM

PSU - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008RJZR40/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2W4INS2V7SZ7D&coliid=I2C3SJ2T92UE9S&psc=1

I'm aware the PSU is a bit overkill, but currently its barely costs anything more than the 600W.

Now the question is, is the R9 280 good enough? Or should I really save a little more and go for a 280x or a 290? I kinda made a mistake getting the 7750 originally as it isn't good enough and should've spent a little more. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
If I were you I'd stop looking at an AMD card. Save for a Nvidia 970 because price v performance is insane! Look at the reviews for it. The 970 should/could've cost a lot more but it doesn't. Someone I know who would only ever buy AMD cards went and got a 970 and now says he won't go back to AMD :p
I'm with Hughesy on this, if you can save a bit more the 970 is easily one of the best cards out there, it'd destroy the majority of AMD cards you'll have looked at.

Otherwise, if you can't get a lot more for your budget, the two items I've linked below is what I'd go for in your shoes. Especially the PSU, that one you linked is Corsairs budget range, it's fairly cheaply made (I owned the modular version of it). Also you can never go overkill on a PSU! The bigger the better :p Plus it gives you headroom if you do an even larger upgrade. At the moment I'm running 850w, when I could get away with 500 :p 

GPU: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx760series/n760tf4gd5oc.html

PSU: http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Bronze-Modular-Supply/dp/B00KM821KC/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1413015921&sr=1-4&keywords=750W+Modular
@RevolvingPrawn‌  Couldn't play Alien last night as the MS was giving me jip :( Just played it for a bit and I'm loving it! The atmosphere is perfect  even when just walking around on my own. I don't have any problems with the cutscenes and the graphics are great and better than the gameplay graphics so I'm not sure what's going on in your game. :p
Good point :p I'll retry it with DSR at 1440p but it just seemed to introduce micro stuttering last time at anything above 1080p, even though FPS was still around 90-100.
Probably because it's a new feature, Nvidia said there would be problems that show up ingame. Others have said the same about lack of AA in Alien. Btw I have new hobby building RC cars. I'm going to post some pics in the stuff thread.
So when you were walking up to the door where the part on the floor was, there was two stairs on either side. As you're looking at the door, go up the stairs on the left, take a right at the top and wait a few minutes in a covered walkway that's 1 floor up and directly over the spot where you found the part. Once the humans settle into a patrol, carry on walking and there should be a guy standing near the top of the right stairwell, take him out by going up behind him and hitting RT, you gotta him him twice or he'll get back up. After that move around the top floor in a circle taking them out until you end up back at the spot where you started, there's 4 of them in total. Job done :p 
So when you were walking up to the door where the part on the floor was, there was two stairs on either side. As you're looking at the door, go up the stairs on the left, take a right at the top and wait a few minutes in a covered walkway that's 1 floor up and directly over the spot where you found the part. Once the humans settle into a patrol, carry on walking and there should be a guy standing near the top of the right stairwell, take him out by going up behind him and hitting RT, you gotta him him twice or he'll get back up. After that move around the top floor in a circle taking them out until you end up back at the spot where you started, there's 4 of them in total. Job done :p 
Ok cheers bud, I'll try that later o:)
Oooooh, now you guys have tempted me. The 970 does look preeeeeeeetty good.

Is there any specific brand you guys can suggest? The prices differences are huge! So I must presume the performance differs, but how greatly?

Thanks again, this is really helpful.
Maybe 1-3% by differing brands :p Honestly, the main differences are looks, cooling performance, and clocks. Even at base clock the 970 is a fantastic card, and you can overclock it yourself quite easily, so don't worry about getting a more expensive one just because it's a tiny bit faster.
Cooling can make a difference, but again they'll all be fairly close to each other in the end, so nothing to really worry about. And of course each looks different to each other so you can choose one that would suit your PC's theme ;) 

All I'll say is ignore the lowest of the low brands. Like there's ones by Inno3D and GALAX, I wouldn't trust either. The card would be fine, by they're not well known so if anything goes wrong you could have a problem. Just having a quick look around, this is the cheapest I could find from a known brand, you'd have no problems with it :) 
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-gainward-gtx-970-7010mhz-gddr5-gpu-1051mhz-boost-1178mhz-1664-cores-3x-mini-dp-1x-dvi-1x-mini-hd
Another nooby question.....

I shrank the D:, but it won't let me use this to extend the C: drive.....Why is this happening? :'(
You need to delete D: instead of shrinking it :p It should come up as 'unallocated space' before you're able to extend C: into it.

If that doesn't work then post again to let me know, there's another way around it :) 
Hughesy said:
It's not the Alien that scares me, it's those android things that scare the crap out of me :#
Played it for a while now and at night with my headphones on it scares the shit out of me (nappy soiled) :# LOL First game that is proper scary in years! Brilliant. Got to play some Fifa to calm down now haha o:)