Jump to content Jump to content

Great comments already guys. Thanks, knew you would have to pick on the expensive item of course - sods law, you get what you pays for - 970 then. Are AMD higher end (3GB R9 280X) out of question? Similar question with CPU?

Of course, maybe hang around for BIG WIDE curved screens to get cheaper. Will Oc Rift require a top end graphics card too, I'm guessing that's more like 2 screens instead of 3?
Great comments already guys. Thanks, knew you would have to pick on the expensive item of course - sods law, you get what you pays for - 970 then. Are AMD higher end (3GB R9 280X) out of question? Similar question with CPU?

Of course, maybe hang around for BIG WIDE curved screens to get cheaper. Will Oc Rift require a top end graphics card too, I'm guessing that's more like 2 screens instead of 3?
Yea don't get an AMD card, not only do they consume far more power they also run really hot and are nowhere near as good as a 970 or 980
Hughesy said:
Another option is the GTX 770 4gb which should be able to run 3 monitors no problem.
No chance with new games.... I have a 780 and only run 1 monitor albeit at 1440p but it's going to start to struggle soon.
I agree the 770 4gb is fine if you're running single monitor like I am at 1080p which is why I went for it but if you plan on doing multi screen you'd need to do it SLI I think with these cards. That or go with the 970/980

Sods law indeed ;) If you needed to drop the price down a bit for the better GPU, you could always go for a 120GB or 240GB SSD instead. Personally I use a 120GB for my OS and program files, and I currently have 63GB free on it still. And you can redirect your documents/pictures/videos/music folders to folders with the same name on the 1TB drive.
I'm gonna guess you went for the bigger SSD with the intention of installing games onto it? Tbh, there won't be any noticeable different performance or loading times wise between the SSD and the HDD. I've tried running Arma 3 from my SSD, then tried it on one of my HDD's, and I can't say I noticed any different at all. The only thing I would say about the 1TB drive is try to go for one that has 64MB cache rather than the 32MB, it'll barely be more on the price.

As for the CPU, the one you've chosen is awesome, don't even look at any AMD's at the same price range because none will be as powerful. Just keep in mind that the 4790 you've chosen can't be overclocked if you were planning to do that. You'd need the 4790K for that.

And with the GPU, I think that's already been nailed. GTX 970 is a much better option.

Sods law indeed ;) If you needed to drop the price down a bit for the better GPU, you could always go for a 120GB or 240GB SSD instead. Personally I use a 120GB for my OS and program files, and I currently have 63GB free on it still. And you can redirect your documents/pictures/videos/music folders to folders with the same name on the 1TB drive.
I'm gonna guess you went for the bigger SSD with the intention of installing games onto it? Tbh, there won't be any noticeable different performance or loading times wise between the SSD and the HDD. I've tried running Arma 3 from my SSD, then tried it on one of my HDD's, and I can't say I noticed any different at all. The only thing I would say about the 1TB drive is try to go for one that has 64MB cache rather than the 32MB, it'll barely be more on the price.

As for the CPU, the one you've chosen is awesome, don't even look at any AMD's at the same price range because none will be as powerful. Just keep in mind that the 4790 you've chosen can't be overclocked if you were planning to do that. You'd need the 4790K for that.

And with the GPU, I think that's already been nailed. GTX 970 is a much better option.
You must have a problem with your SSD then bud :p I have a WD black HDD but most games take a lot longer to load compared to my SSD, but tbh I agree with everything else. If it was me I'd get a smaller SSD and get a better GPU as that's the main part for most games really. I have two 256GB SSDs but only had one at first, so you can always add another one at a later date if it means getting a better GPU :)
Huh, strange :s When it comes to Windows the SSD was a huge jump in performance, but for games I just didn't really notice any speed difference... My HDD loads everything fast enough anyway so I'm not really too bothered :p Like with the Metro games, when Artyom talks on the loading screens, 'Press A to continue' usually pops up before he's finished saying the first word :) I haven't tried Metro on the SSD but with loading speeds like that I haven't felt the need really.
Tbh it doesn't really matter, as if you have a good HDD load times are pretty quick anyway. That's one of the things that confesses me with the two new consoles, why did they stick with slow 5400rpm laptop hard drives, and also 500GB ones. Atleast on X1 you can add a good usb3 drive, anyway this is the PC thread so a bit off topic. o:)
Now all you need is a blue case, or paint your case blue :p I'll name it the blue goblin o:) although the blue and black looks good. I actually hate my current case. I love the Corsair 600t white graphite that I also have which is actually sound dampened, but that doesn't have very good cooling options and you need 200mm fans for front and top, so now I have these nice fans you recommended (which are awesome, as I can even fall asleep with my PC on now as I'm very sensitive to noise when sleeping) I wouldn't be able to use them.
Thank you guys, I have taken my first step towards a new nickname of BobbyGeeks. Looks like I got you exchanging a few things too re SSD. It probably helps that consoles have such crappy hard drives, as the developers will optimise for it and so the PC versions will cope ridiculously well using the same logic. 
Thank you guys, I have taken my first step towards a new nickname of BobbyGeeks. Looks like I got you exchanging a few things too re SSD. It probably helps that consoles have such crappy hard drives, as the developers will optimise for it and so the PC versions will cope ridiculously well using the same logic. 
Lol BobbyGeeks, I like it :p always happy to help ;)
Turn on my computer for the first time in a couple months to play a little Civilisation V. Looks like the cobwebs in Windows 7 have accumulated. Steam took about 20 minutes to get going, Civilisation took 10 minutes to get started and after 30 turns it crashed. Looks like Windows is trying to install a million updates behind the scenes and now I don't have time to play anymore :disappointed: 

Times like this, console gaming is far more attractive. Doesn't help that I really, really need to buy a new case for my PC and some dust filters for the fans...yet I just have no motivation to spend money on something I haven't used in yonks...

Think the acid test for me and PC gaming is the new FM, Civ: Beyond Earth and MGS:GZ. By Xmas I'll have probably bought all of them and if I'm not finding time to play them/don't play well then fuck it I'm buying a PS4, getting GTA V and stalking @platy around.

/moan.
I don't let Windows install updates on its own as to me thats silly.  I'll only install updates when I'm not gaming, but even then I haven't had problems like that. You should always try and find time to do updates, consoles are the same now though as you can have massive updates for the games alone.
Thing is, I can't really specify when I want them downloading/installing as I'm not on the computer enough to make a schedule work. Like I said, first time I've been on the computer since...late August? I'd just forget about the updates and then 6 months down the line go "oh shit, I haven't installed updates" and be hit with a whole day of hell. Bugger that.
Herby007 said:
Thing is, I can't really specify when I want them downloading/installing as I'm not on the computer enough to make a schedule work. Like I said, first time I've been on the computer since...late August? I'd just forget about the updates and then 6 months down the line go "oh shit, I haven't installed updates" and be hit with a whole day of hell. Bugger that.
Meh I haven't installed updates for months, doesn't affect games so doesn't really bother me o:)
Herby007 said:
Having said everything i've just said...

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/ssd/ct120m500ssd3

Good deal? Seems it.
Good price, but the write speed is pretty low for an SSD. I'd go for either of the 2 below instead if I were you bud.

http://www.dabs.com/products/sandisk-128gb-ssd-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-870X.html?refs=427040000&catid=15004&src=3

http://www.cclonline.com/product/96751/SV300S37A/120G/Solid-State-Drives-SSDs-/Kingston-SSDNow-V300-120GB-SATA-3-2-5-inch-Solid-State-Drive/HDD1693/
Hughesy said:
I don't let Windows install updates on its own as to me thats silly.  I'll only install updates when I'm not gaming, but even then I haven't had problems like that. You should always try and find time to do updates, consoles are the same now though as you can have massive updates for the games alone.

Yeah same here there's nothing worse than a PC that tries to carry out an update when you're at a critical point in the game. Happened to me the other day though was running on the break towards the oppositions goal in Fifa ready to score when my PC attempted it. It was only a silly Java update but still annoying as hell.

Hughesy said:
Herby007 said:
Meh I haven't installed updates for months, doesn't affect games so doesn't really bother me o:)

Neither have I and I don't usually bother I let the computer update to the latest when it need reprogramming after being hit by a virus or something like that usually but really that's the only time I generally let it update. The only thing I tend to update frequently are the Graphics drivers but I normally let Geforce Experience handle that as that only prompts you when there's one available and it  lets you decide when you want to update that.