Jump to content Jump to content

Hughesy said:
If you think it's a big enough upgrade over your 6670 then buy it ;)

@RevolvingPrawn‌ Overclockers have tested my 780, and have now sent it to MSI to be fixed or replaced  :) Could take 28days so I'm glad I got a 980. :)

yeah sounds a good card my 770's are working well though so happy with mine for now as I've only had them a year so they should be fine
Hughesy said:

@RevolvingPrawn‌ Overclockers have tested my 780, and have now sent it to MSI to be fixed or replaced  :) Could take 28days so I'm glad I got a 980. :)
Well, I'd say it's not a particularly big jump, but it is a little bit of an upgrade.

Kinda thought it might end up being times like that lol, I'd say you'll probably get it back within 2 weeks though really, 3 at a push :) 
Hughesy said:

Well, I'd say it's not a particularly big jump, but it is a little bit of an upgrade.

Kinda thought it might end up being times like that lol, I'd say you'll probably get it back within 2 weeks though really, 3 at a push :) 
So glad I got the 980,  could never go three weeks without playing my PC. First world problems o:)
Lol, not many people understand how hard a time scale like that without a GPU would be for us :p 

Have you told your bro he's getting a nice upgrade?
Yep and his wife is really pleased.... :# Told him I'm going to build his baby a PC in a few years haha, start them early o:)

Just reinstalling The Witcher 2 to see how it performs, I wonder if I can finally run the über sampling setting. I love the game so can't wait for TW3 to come out. Not the sort of game you like though is it bud? 
Edit: It's going to take a while, 10GB update :(
Been throwing all sorts of games at the 980, played Dead Space at 4k which was awesome B)
Didn't realise Grid Autosport was as good looking as it is. Playing it at 4k, it looks awesome. The only things that let it down are the crappy cockpit view and lighting, lighting is just a bit flat compared to PCars. Grass detail is brilliant though, and smoke/particles are great. Haven't played it for a while, but the physics feel a bit weird. Seems ok but only with the wheel at 360 degrees, which is a shame as Grid 2 was fine at 900. Downloaded the HD textures and they look great.

One thing Codemasters always get right is PC optimisation. For how good the games look, they don't seem to tax the system too much. Cant wait to see how good F1 15 will look.

Edit: I think Autosport is underrated, the AI are awesome to race. Not sure why they couldn't make them like that in the F1 games.
Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

So glad I got the 980,  could never go three weeks without playing my PC. First world problems o:)
yeah I struggle to manage 1 week when my PC goes down luckily if it's something like a virus I can fix it myself (it just takes a couple of hours to reassemble everything) but if it's a more serious issue like you've had with your graphics card then it has to go to a repair shop as I can't physically fix it myself and my mum i9sn't much help in that regard either. if my card broke then I'd probably look at that card as a possible replacement but tbh my cards are running fine so don't need to think about it.
That is indeed something CM do really well. The fact that F1 2014 can be DSR'd at 4K, have every single graphics setting maxed out and still give over 90fps just blows me away :) Gotta love em for that if anything lol.

You're into the same kinda feeling I had when I got mine now dude, that feeling of "Oh my god this thing is so ridiculously awesome I have no idea how I lived before this was bolted into my machine" lol. I kept throwing game after game after game at mine and just being blown away by what it could give me :) 

Just tinkered some more with my GPU overclock, had it at 1379Mhz with a boost of 1518Mhz, it got through Firestrike unlike the slightly higher ones before that, but running FC4 windowed with monitoring tools on top, I was getting display driver crashes that would make the game hang. So I've dropped it to 1317Mhz with boost to 1455Mhz and it's stable and happy now. Dropped my fan curve by 10% on each dot too so it's even quieter and actually hitting 80c lol. Before that it was only hitting 74c :)
Not bad bud, just know that it can take ages to know its 100% stable, as some games are fickle. 80c is the GPU target temp, after that it'll down clock slightly, but you can raise that, but I wouldn't want my card over 80c. Did you see my post above yours? Does that sound like a good idea? I love PhysX effects so think I'll do it, as long as it doesn't increase temps of everything else in my PC.
Hughesy said:
Not bad bud, just know that it can take ages to know its 100% stable, as some games are fickle. 80c is the GPU target temp, after that it'll down clock slightly, but you can raise that, but I wouldn't want my card over 80c. Did you see my post above yours? Does that sound like a good idea? I love PhysX effects so think I'll do it, as long as it doesn't increase temps of everything else in my PC.
Some games certainly are lol. I'll keep testing, and if needs be I'll drop it a little again, then once I'm happy with where it's at I'll start on the CPU :) As for the temp, 80c is my limit too, anything above that and I'll raise the fan curve again, just to make sure it doesn't go over.

And I did, and I meant to reply, and I forgot to lol. I'd say give it a try, see how things go with it, and if works then keep it in there for that :)

Oh and something you mentioned earlier... http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=15672&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%20960%202GB&title=First%20GeForce%20GTX%20960%203DMark%2011%20Benchmarks,%20Specs%20And%20Pictures%20Revealed
Hughesy said:
Didn't realise Grid Autosport was as good looking as it is. Playing it at 4k, it looks awesome. The only things that let it down are the crappy cockpit view and lighting, lighting is just a bit flat compared to PCars. Grass detail is brilliant though, and smoke/particles are great. Haven't played it for a while, but the physics feel a bit weird. Seems ok but only with the wheel at 360 degrees, which is a shame as Grid 2 was fine at 900. Downloaded the HD textures and they look great.

One thing Codemasters always get right is PC optimisation. For how good the games look, they don't seem to tax the system too much. Cant wait to see how good F1 15 will look.

Edit: I think Autosport is underrated, the AI are awesome to race. Not sure why they couldn't make them like that in the F1 games.
yeah it's probably one of my favourite racing games as well CM did a great job with it. It's just such a shame that some people sometimes don't give them any slack. They don't have the resources of EA or maybe even Ubisoft and all that. But what they do have they use well for the most part I think.
Just run GPU-Z while playing your most graphically demanding game, leave it open on the sensors tab and it'll tell you how much Vram you're actually using :p
I have Afterburner for that mate. I have every bit of info on Screen, on my whole system when I play games. Already had two games use 4GB. Shadow of Mordor being one of them ;) It's mainly becasue consoles have unified ram, so PC ports try to use just Vram instead of using that and Ram. 4GB is plenty if games are optimised properly, sadly that doesn't happen all the time.
So whilst trying to see if I could stop that high pitched noise, I pretty much snapped off the Sata port of my WD black HDD. :# Somehow it still lives, it just refuses to die!

Edit: And since doing that the noise has stopped, can't be related but I'm hoping it stays like this.
Hughesy said:
So whilst trying to see if I could stop that high pitched noise, I pretty much snapped off the Sata port of my WD black HDD. :# Somehow it still lives, it just refuses to die!

Edit: And since doing that the noise has stopped, can't be related but I'm hoping it stays like this.
@Hughesy Lol, the spaz hands strike again?

Quick question for you. Need it answered in the next 40 minutes if you see it lol. Have you ever tried powerline adapters, and are they any good? I'm using Wi-Fi still and getting about 165Mbps through my dongle. Thinking about picking up some 500Mbps rated powerline adapters with the hope that my speed will increase even more.
Hughesy said:

Quick question for you. Need it answered in the next 40 minutes if you see it lol. Have you ever tried powerline adapters, and are they any good? I'm using Wi-Fi still and getting about 165Mbps through my dongle. Thinking about picking up some 500Mbps rated powerline adapters with the hope that my speed will increase even more.
Not sure if they increase speed, just range as far as I know.  How fast is your internet then? :o I have my PC wired to the router. 
Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

Not sure if they increase speed, just range as far as I know.  How fast is your internet then? :o I have my PC wired to the router. 
I normally get about 20 and 30Mbps out of it on speedtest :) Absolutely not slow, but I bought a £40 adapter and it's pretty damn awesome. When I bring up the Wi-Fi status box the speed is usually sat at 165 (54 at work), but I was just wondering if the powerline could maybe even up that. And if I could, I would have mine hooked into the router, but my master socket is in the wrong place lol. I've tried my router in the room, but it only gives me standard broadband speed, where my master socket gives me fibre optic. Can't do it by cable either because it would have to be about 20 meters with trying to twist, turn, and hide it lol.

Good thing is my parents have a pair they use (not very often) in their living room, so I'll try to borrow them and test em over the weekend I think.
Yea it's probably best to try before you buy. I've never used them, but thought they were used just to boost range. I could be wrong though o:)

Sadly I can't bet fibre until March as its not in my area. Knowing BT it won't happen in March, but I hope it does as PC games have become so large...
Hughesy said:
Yea it's probably best to try before you buy. I've never used them, but thought they were used just to boost range. I could be wrong though o:)

Sadly I can't bet fibre until March as its not in my area. Knowing BT it won't happen in March, but I hope it does as PC games have become so large...
I think you can get ones that have Wi-Fi range extenders built in which is cool, but the ones I was looking at were just purely for using the electricity cables to transfer your connection instead of a network cable :) Will definitely try them though, read on a few sites that most just peg it at 100Mbps in the connection status box and go no higher because the ethernet ports on standard routers can't handle higher. Testing is needed!

That's a problem I don't have ;) Don't think any game I've downloaded from Steam has ever taken more than 30-40 mins. To redownload FC4 from Uplay was the longest, at about 55 minutes :) Makes a huge difference bud, you'll love it when you get it.
Grr Grid Autosport keeps crashing, never had this problem with my 780 :( Saying that though Grid 2 crashed a lot with my 780. I'm going to try it without my GPU overclocked.

@RevolvingPrawn If I could I'd move somewhere that had fibre already  :# I do get around 16mb so not too bad for normal broadband, especially when most only get 6-7, helps that I live right next to the exchange box (those green box things)
BTW my router has 1GB Ethernet ports, so I'd say it's only cheap routers that are like that. ;)
http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=15683&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%20960%202GB&title=GeForce%20GTX%20960%20Final%20Specs%20And%20Release%20Date%20Revealed And there it is :) Sounds like a fairly decent card, and hopefully it'll have a sweet price tag.

Didn't you buy like a proper decent router though? :p I'm using Talk Talk's standard fibre router. Not sure how I'd check what ports it uses.