Jump to content Jump to content

Pretty much bud. What's your PC's specs? 

Also you can pick up a key for W7 or W8 64-bit for between 20 and 30 quid from some sites.
Oh god, i'm not too sure :L Its a Dell XPS 630 i believe?

For some reason I'm sure when it was on Vista it was running the 64bit version, but my Dad got W7 from a guy at work and i think its bumped it down to 32bit and i don't think he realised thats what it was, or that new games will require 64bit :/
So I just got my new Corsair K70 RGB, love it, fantastic keyboard. Then I noticed this...

Lmao :D How the heck do you print a key upside and then still stick it on the keyboard? Bloody Chinese workers ;) Just gonna see if Corsair can post me that one single key lol.
I finally got around to building my PC, now I just have to make up my mind on a graphics card, most likely a GTX 970

CPU - Intel i5 4690K (Store I went to didn't have regular 4690's)
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97-HD3
RAM - G-Skill 8GB DDR3
PSU - Corsair CX600
HDD - Seagate 320GB 2.5" (I'm reusing this from a spare external hard drive, I'm going to get a 1TB later on)
Case - Deep Cool Tesseract Black

@RevolvingPrawn   Lol so it looks like all AMD's next GPUs are respins, and none have HBM. The best one has 8GB of GDDR5 memory, as HBM can only do 4GB. So it looks like AMD are still going to be crap compared to Nvidia. I wonder how much the 8GB GPU will cost, hopefully a lot more than a 980, might be competing against the Titan X. :joy: All the hype, and they're just rebrands....
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-radeon-r9-390r9-380r9-370-and-r9-360-series-rebrands.html
Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn   Lol so it looks like all AMD's next GPUs are respins, and none have HBM. The best one has 8GB of GDDR5 memory, as HBM can only do 4GB. So it looks like AMD are still going to be crap compared to Nvidia. I wonder how much the 8GB GPU will cost, hopefully a lot more than a 980, might be competing against the Titan X. :joy: All the hype, and they're just rebrands....
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-radeon-r9-390r9-380r9-370-and-r9-360-series-rebrands.html
Read that on my lunch break ;) Couldn't help but have a bit of a giggle! Just like AMD to do something like this. It's kinda funny how everybody has been going on about the R9 390X being an Nvidia killer, yet from what I've read it's basically just a rebranded 285 :D 

Suppose there's still hope with whatever the Fiji card turns out to be, but I'm honestly not expecting anything special now, even if it does have the HBM.
@RevolvingPrawn Looks like all the hype for Skylake is false as well. Looks like I won't be getting excited for it :( http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/flagship-intel-skylake-s-core-i7-6700k-cpu-benchmarked.html Mind you compared to mine it'll be a nice upgrade, so price will decide it for me as I'll have to buy a new Mobo. For you there's no point at all to upgrade, but then when you buy a good CPU there's no need to upgrade for 3-4 years anyway.

This is due to AMD not pushing them, mind you that could change when the red team release Zen, and DX12 will make better use of 8 core CPUs. Why Intel is still only releasing quadcore is beyond me, yes i7 has HT but that isn't as good as having real cores. Intel and Nvidia need to be pushed by AMD, as without competition there's no reason for them to make better products and also charging silly amounts. The problem with AMD is they're trying to compete with two huge companies by themselves. Until that happens PC components are going to stay pretty stagnant.
Tbh dude I've been brushing off Skylake for a while now. Ever since I saw the rumours for the 6700K I didn't think it'd be worth upgrading for at all.

Cannonlake is next isn't it? That's the one that's got my interest for now :p 
Thing is that won't be much better either, for 4 years now people have been saying the next CPUs will be amazing, yet only end up slightly better than the last. This is why I hope AMDs Zen blows smoke up Intels arse, as until then there's no reason for them to push. If Zen has the same core performance as Intel but has 8 cores then I'll buy that, as DX12 will use 8 core CPUs a lot better so even if core for core it isn't quite as good it'll still be better.  It's been worked on for a while now, and AMD knows that this has to be the one.

I still might get a 6700k if the price is right,  but I'd much rather buy a second GPU or a Gsync monitor. My 3570k is only just getting pushed, GTA is still the only one to push it to the max, but even then I suspect the GPU is the bottleneck. My lowest framerate would improve but overall a second GPU would be a better option.
@RevolvingPrawn This is what I'm on about, those plastic things really annoy me. I'm trying to think of a way to get rid of them but keep the dust filter secure. With LED fans it's really noticeable and kind of an eyesore. It's the only thing I don't like in what is a wonderful case.

I have the same plastic things in mine :p With the new front panel mine will end up looking like this, with crossed one's instead of X's like yours: 

Luckily though I can take out that second filter with the bars on it and just use the front panel if I want ;)

For you though dude that filter is removable right? Might be worth buying one of Demciflex's big radiator filters, and because it's magnetic sticking it to the rear of the front panel grill. It's what I'd do in your place, and what I might actually do when I get my new panel.
Bugger, just seen that your filter and front mesh are made as one part, they aren't separate like the 750D. Ok in that case, buy another front mesh panel from here: http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/graphite-series-780t-front-mesh
And then buy something like a 280mm filter from here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_results.php?keywords=demciflex&page=2#prodlist 

Then you at least have 2 panels and you can customise one of them by cutting the plastic bars that hold the X shape onto the front mesh, and then using the magnetic 280mm filter on the mesh so that you no longer have stupid X shapes across it anymore :)
Just seen the review for the 980ti, not that impressive for the price. The only good thing it has is the 6Gb of VRAM. It doesn't look like the 980 will go down in price, not just because of the price of the ti, but the price vs performance for the 980 vs 980ti. Still looking to buy a second 980 in a few weeks.
Hughesy said:
Just seen the review for the 980ti, not that impressive for the price. The only good thing it has is the 6Gb of VRAM. It doesn't look like the 980 will go down in price, not just because of the price of the ti, but the price vs performance for the 980 vs 980ti. Still looking to buy a second 980 in a few weeks.
Watched TTL's review last night and if the £550 he's saying is true then I can deffo see the 980 having a bit of a price drop dude :p 

Anybody else had the Windows icon pop up on your taskbar this morning? When I hovered over it and it said 'Get Windows 10' I couldn't help but think Microsoft had pulled a sneaky one and released it today lol. Alas, just a reservation thing.
So I seem to have a weird problem with my GPU driver. When I try to changed any settings in the driver it comes up saying access denied..... Never had this problem before. Going to uninstall driver and start again, not sure what's going on but this is annoying.

Edit: Problem fixed, not sure what went wrong with the driver though.
That's cool and all, but there's not enough room for 4K as you'd need SLI. It's cool that they are adding watercooling, but it won't be quiet like they say. I bet they charge an arm and a leg for it as well, it's seems to always be the case, you get less but pay a lot more lol. Nice design though.
Looks like I'll be buying a new sound card from Asus when it's on sale, as it looks awesome and some great specs. My D2X has served me well for many years, think I've had it since I had a AMD 6950. Hopefully some better drivers, and of course Windows 10 support. I'm sure my current one will have a W10 driver, but I've wanted to buy a new soundcard for awhile now.

Edit: Can't post the link as the forum breaks off the last part, but it's on Guru3d