Jump to content
F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE | Season 3 starting 20/11 Read more... ×

AI Difficulty Calculator

Recommended Posts

I’ve decided to just keep my AI pretty constant. I started off this game on 90, and have gradually increased it as I feel I get better. I raced Austria on 93 and finished 7th, then GB on 94 and finished 19th (first season MyTeam). But that’s just the way it goes. Hungary is next and was my worst track on F1 2019 so interested to see how it goes this time around.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm currently using 80 in My Team, which gets me this:

image.png

 

When I capture content for the official channel I tend to use 70 as I have to switch between multiple races very quickly (therefore no practice), which gets me:

image.png

 

This is all assuming I'm as good on other tracks as I am on Spain though, and I know for a fact I'm terrible at Hungary and Monaco 😄 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I think I'm currently using 80 in My Team, which gets me this:

image.png

 

When I capture content for the official channel I tend to use 70 as I have to switch between multiple races very quickly (therefore no practice), which gets me:

image.png

 

This is all assuming I'm as good on other tracks as I am on Spain though, and I know for a fact I'm terrible at Hungary and Monaco 😄 

Wild to think a base of 70 would produce Monaco 87, this is what I'm getting at, doing it by times is more applicable to different driver skill levels. 

I may as well just dump it in the first corner at Monaco on 87, nevermind 97, and if we use my typical base difficulty of 90... 

Monaco is typically 75 for me, and I know it off by heart, but damned if I have the bravery to really attack it.

Edited by KNT2011

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monaco and Hungary are interesting. They are both heavily affected by setup (a custom setup will make a bigger difference than it would other tracks), and both heavily punish small mistakes. They both just seem much harder to drive close to optimal than say, Austria, where a default setup does a good job, and a small mistake in one corner won't too heavily affect your next corner. It wouldn't surprise me if the AI has intentionally been made 'slower' on those tracks (Monaco, Hungary), to allow for us average humans who are scared of binning it into a wall to take it a touch slower but still have a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 3:55 PM, PJTierney said:

I think I'm currently using 80 in My Team, which gets me this:

image.png

 

When I capture content for the official channel I tend to use 70 as I have to switch between multiple races very quickly (therefore no practice), which gets me:

image.png

 

This is all assuming I'm as good on other tracks as I am on Spain though, and I know for a fact I'm terrible at Hungary and Monaco 😄 

Thanks for this, other than Monaco, this is working for me. 

Also for the youtube vids, really helpful.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How on earth is Singapore 87 on a base diff of 70? Am I missing something? The chart looks pretty much inverted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guys sorry for my ignorance, but what is the acronym "WR"? Example: Comparison of WR tracks.
 I will start the tests with the table to try to improve my game. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Austria!!!! Seriously I think every single player would be in agreement that A.I are woeful here compared with every other circuit.

We can all debate and be competitive at certain tracks compared to others - but Austria sticks out so badly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RS Phil said:

Recorde mundial.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.cc56d652dcef84d2bb3cf8669dadeefc.png
Here's results from the survey so far (so these responses are when using my calculator/recommendations). Looks like Austria is still too slow, along with maybe Canada, Baku, Belgium, and Italy. My guess is maybe the AI struggles on tracks with long straights, and doesn't use an optimal setup or engine modes and ERS correctly. Other tracks seem to get conflicting feedback.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 12:41 PM, nuNceP said:

How on earth is Singapore 87 on a base diff of 70? Am I missing something? The chart looks pretty much inverted.

You probably use TC. this chart is inverted for you.

I also use TC on medium, it is pretty much the opposite of what the chart says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having now had the opportunity to go through most of the calendar, I don't think any track justifies +10 swings (let alone +17). The majority are reasonably well balanced once you find your optimum level. If you want perfection for your ability on every track then changing by couple of points, up to a limit of say +/- 5, seems reasonable, and I enjoyed using svensenk86's in 2019 which did something along those line. But based on my experience I just cannot see that (to take PJTierney's example) playing Bahrain at 63 and then Monaco at 87 is going to yield good results. In fact, after multiple races on both of those tracks I have found these tracks fairly similar in terms of how I tend to perform vs the AI.

I make the point because I wouldn't really want Codemasters to start changing / patching the difficulty based on these kinds of swings. I think there is room for improvement but its not as drastic as this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 4:27 PM, Chiarello said:

You probably use TC. this chart is inverted for you.

I also use TC on medium, it is pretty much the opposite of what the chart says.

Nope, G29 without assists. But Singapore to me is a track where I have to lower difficulty, surely not raise it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something wrong with your method.

I tried something like this today, but I changed a bunch of things to try to get more realistic (especially picking more "middle of the road" times, instead of world records). Thankfully, I didn't get any of these wild +17 fluctuations of yours.

- First, I simulated three qualis at Interlagos, 85 difficulty, and averaged the pole position times. Result: 1:09.607. I picked this track because I know it really well, so I could use it to gauge my difficulty level without tons of practice (I just bought the game). 85 seemed the most adequate to me, so I picked it as the baseline.

- I then checked what time would be needed to get into the upper 10% of Interlagos time trials. Result: 1:07.782.

- So 85 pole position AI is 2.693% slower than a top 10% time trial time (69.607 / 67.782 = 1.02693).

- I then checked the top 10% time trial cut for every single track, and checked what difficulty would get the pole position the closest to also being 2.693% slower than it (always simulating at least three times before confirming, always clean weather, always midday).

This was boring af to do. But oh well.

Results as follows:

Brazil: 85
Australia: 79
Bahrain: 81
Vietnam: 78
China: 87
Netherlands: 85
Spain: 80
Monaco: 79
Azerbaijan: 83
Canada: 78
France: 84
Austria: 86
Britain: 78
Hungary: 85
Belgium: 80
Italy: 81
Singapore: 89

This was when I stopped, and realized this is much more consistent from track to track then what I anticipated. We're talking about a +/- 0.5 sec variation at most, compared to the average. The only exception, with a significantish bump, would be Singapore, but this is probably the hardest track of the whole year. IDK, is it really a benefit to make it even tougher to drive there?

For the remaining tracks (Russia, Japan, USA, Mexico and Abu Dhabi), I didn't run the full quali simulations on different difficulties, but I have the ratio of 85 difficulty pole position time and top 10% time trial time on them, which is enough to know all of them would definitely fall into the 78-85 range.

I stopped close to finishing the job because I came to an early conclusion: there's no need to change difficulty level on a per-track basis. AI consistency is the best it has ever been. If there comes any big discrepancy during a career, it would be most likely because of your own skill level, or ability/inability to cut corners in a given track.

Don't cut corners.

Edited by Gonira
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gonira said:

There's something wrong with your method.

I tried something like this today, but I changed a bunch of things to try to get more realistic (especially picking more "middle of the road" times, instead of world records). Thankfully, I didn't get any of these wild +17 fluctuations of yours.

- First, I simulated three qualis at Interlagos, 85 difficulty, and averaged the pole position times. Result: 1:09.607. I picked this track because I know it really well, so I could use it to gauge my difficulty level without tons of practice (I just bought the game). 85 seemed the most adequate to me, so I picked it as the baseline.

- I then checked what time would be needed to get into the upper 10% of Interlagos time trials. Result: 1:07.782.

- So 85 pole position AI is 2.693% slower than a top 10% time trial time (69.607 / 67.782 = 1.02693).

- I then checked the top 10% time trial cut for every single track, and checked what difficulty would get the pole position the closest to also being 2.693% slower than it (always simulating at least three times before confirming, always clean weather, always midday).

This was boring af to do. But oh well.

Results as follows:

Brazil: 85
Australia: 79
Bahrain: 81
Vietnam: 78
China: 87
Netherlands: 85
Spain: 80
Monaco: 79
Azerbaijan: 83
Canada: 78
France: 84
Austria: 86
Britain: 78
Hungary: 85
Belgium: 80
Italy: 81
Singapore: 89

This was when I stopped, and realized this is much more consistent from track to track then what I anticipated. We're talking about a +/- 0.5 sec variation at most, compared to the average. The only exception, with a significantish bump, would be Singapore, but this is probably the hardest track of the whole year. IDK, is it really a benefit to make it even tougher to drive there?

For the remaining tracks (Russia, Japan, USA, Mexico and Abu Dhabi), I didn't run the full quali simulations on different difficulties, but I have the ratio of 85 difficulty pole position time and top 10% time trial time on them, which is enough to know all of them would definitely fall into the 78-85 range.

I stopped close to finishing the job because I came to an early conclusion: there's no need to change difficulty level on a per-track basis. AI consistency is the best it has ever been. If there comes any big discrepancy during a career, it would be most likely because of your own skill level, or ability/inability to cut corners in a given track.

Don't cut corners.

The AI is slow at Singapore.

Like you I just play one AI level, but I don't agree with your overall conclusion that the AI consistency is the best it's ever been, I'd say it's probably worse than previous iterations. The difference between the fastest AI robably Silverstone) and slowest (Singapore) is huge, at least a 10 point swing. I do note that you've only just bought the game though. 

However, I do think you're approach of looking at the 10% figure is more robust than looking at the world records. Your figures seem to align more closely with what I find between the tracks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that if you can get within 1-2 seconds of the top times of time trial that are legit, then you can race from 100 ai difficulty above. I have been always 1-1.5 seconds off the F1 esports drivers and I race at 105 difficulty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pacers101 said:

The AI is slow at Singapore.

Like you I just play one AI level, but I don't agree with your overall conclusion that the AI consistency is the best it's ever been, I'd say it's probably worse than previous iterations. The difference between the fastest AI robably Silverstone) and slowest (Singapore) is huge, at least a 10 point swing. I do note that you've only just bought the game though. 

However, I do think you're approach of looking at the 10% figure is more robust than looking at the world records. Your figures seem to align more closely with what I find between the tracks.

Thank you for your feedback and your confirmation about Singapore. Maybe my optimism is biased by Austria on F1 2018 (I haven't tried F1 2019). I did something like this in 2018 and the range went from 79 in Azerbaijan all the way out to 97 in Austria. 18 point difference, now this I consider huge. The second slowest AI though would only be an 89.

Maybe I end up using this table, half a second is half a second afterall. I'm just afraid of it hurting more things than fixing. We have to be aware this is not perfect. In Canada, particularly, you can gain more than 1 second (which is equivalent to around 10 points in difficulty) just by attacking the final chicane more liberally, something that you can't do in time trial (time trial will invalidate the laps, while default corner cutting rules on a grand prix would let you go unpunished). Austria's final corners are a bit like this too.

Unfortunately, the fact I haven't really played a season yet is not that much relevant. I'm not consistent myself (I can get a podium in Brazil while finishing dead last in Monaco against similarly paced AI), so my performance wouldn't be a good gauge.

Since you agree with the figures, I'll finish the process on the remaining tracks so we have a complete list, for what it's worth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is the complete list:

Australia: 79
Bahrain: 81
Vietnam: 78
China: 87
Netherlands: 85
Spain: 80
Monaco: 79
Azerbaijan: 83
Canada: 78
France: 84
Austria: 86
Britain: 78
Hungary: 85
Belgium: 80
Italy: 81
Singapore: 89
Russia: 82
Japan: 80
USA: 77
Mexico: 85
Brazil: 85
Abu Dhabi: 77

Then you can just add or subtract the same ammount for every track if you want to adjust to a different baseline difficulty.

This will probably work very well for those who use strict corner cutting. For regular corner cutting, it will tend to be more all over the place.

 

Edited by Gonira
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand how the AI complexity works either ?!

In the career "my team" I decided to raise the complexity of the AI, because my team is not developed, but in the last races I come consistently with very good points, and I have driven only 13 races.

Loaded the next stage 14 - Belgium, C1.

Qualifying circle started comparing task time:
AI complexity 100%, required circle time of the problem - 1:45.830
101% - 1:45.592
102% - 1:45.345
103% - 1:45.097
104% - 1:44.862

I complete the lap for 1:44.9** and decided that the optimal difficulty for the current Grand Prix and for the next one should be 102%.

But the next time C1 of Belgium is loaded, the AI 102% already requires a different time, the earlier it was necessary 1:45.345, and now it is necessary 1:44.8** ...

I change the complexity of the AI and the timing of the tasks in practice.
in C1 the required time is 1:45.5 and in C2 the required time is already different - 1:45.0
I do not understand...

Edited by MilligramSmile
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MilligramSmile said:

I don't understand how the AI complexity works either ?!

In the career "my team" I decided to raise the complexity of the AI, because my team is not developed, but in the last races I come consistently with very good points, and I have driven only 13 races.

Loaded the next stage 14 - Belgium, C1.

Qualifying circle started comparing task time:
AI complexity 100%, required circle time of the problem - 1.45.830
101% - 1.45.592
102% - 1.45.345
103% - 1.45.097
104% - 1.44.862

I complete the lap for 1.44.9 ** and decided that the optimal difficulty for the current Grand Prix and for the next one should be 102%.

But the next time C1 of Belgium is loaded, AI 102% already requires a different time, instead of 1.45.345, 1.44.9 ** ...

I don't understand ... I change the complexity of the AI and the time of the tasks in practice changes and this time is constantly changing.
in C1 the required time is 1.45.5 and in C2 the required time is already different - 1.45.0
What does it depend on?

Your wording is strange, I assume you used an online translator?

These less than half a second variations are normal. You don't pick difficulty aiming for an exact AI time, more for a "window" in which they could eventually be a few tenths up or down. Weather and track conditions for each session play a role too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gonira said:

Your wording is strange, I assume you used an online translator?

These less than half a second variations are normal. You don't pick difficulty aiming for an exact AI time, more for a "window" in which they could eventually be a few tenths up or down. Weather and track conditions for each session play a role too.

yes))), Google translator from Russian to English...

If I increase the difficulty, then the AIs go faster, is it also more difficult to complete tasks in practice ?

If I cannot complete the task in practice, I have to restart the game and the window may move and I can complete this or that task, right ?

Edited by MilligramSmile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MilligramSmile said:

yes))), Google translator from Russian to English...

If I increase the difficulty, then the AIs go faster, is it also more difficult to complete tasks in practice ?

If I cannot complete the task in practice, I have to restart the game and the window may move and I can complete this or that task, right ?

Yes, if you increase difficulty, it's harder to complete tasks.

I didn't realize you were talking about them, I thought you were talking about AI practice/quali times.

I don't know what would make tasks targets change under the same difficulty. Track condition maybe, or maybe it's random, I'm not sure. But in general the harder the difficulty, the lower the required times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gonira said:

And this is the complete list:

Australia: 79
Bahrain: 81
Vietnam: 78
China: 87
Netherlands: 85
Spain: 80
Monaco: 79
Azerbaijan: 83
Canada: 78
France: 84
Austria: 86
Britain: 78
Hungary: 85
Belgium: 80
Italy: 81
Singapore: 89
Russia: 82
Japan: 80
USA: 77
Mexico: 85
Brazil: 85
Abu Dhabi: 77

Then you can just add or subtract the same ammount for every track if you want to adjust to a different baseline difficulty.

This will probably work very well for those who use strict corner cutting. For regular corner cutting, it will tend to be more all over the place.

 

I think this is excellent, nice work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×