F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE | Season 3 starting 20/11 Read more... ×

AI Difficulty Calculator

I can't access to the difficulty calculator. It says the the access has been denied and i need to ask the owner (you) permission to access it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can access the file but the Calculator sheet is locked. If I duplicate it and I set my difficulty, the numbers below don't change.

• Like 1

Fixed, sorry about that, it should be unlocked now. You should now also be able to copy it and have it update properly too. I'll aim for an update with more accurate suggestions once the performance update comes out. 

Edited by NinjaElmo
  • Agree 2

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who has left feedback, particularly those that covered all the tracks and used the calculator properly. Unfortunately I had to exclude a few results from people that didn't seem to set the calculator up properly (if your AI is too fast/slow at Spain, the whole calculator will not function correctly). It looks like lots of people have been using this calculator daily, so I feel like I have a bit of a resposnsibility to make the recommendations accurate.

I've updated the calculator following the v1.12 update. Changes listed below:

- Used top 10% time trial leaderboard times instead of WR times for some tracks. Thanks to @Gonira for the suggestion. This 'fixed' the suggestions for Singapore.

- More accurately determined the base difficulty change from 100 - 101 (This should make everything more accurate, specifically Bahrain and Monaco)

- Added weights based on survey feedback. Of note, the AI on Austria and Bahrain were identified as TOO SLOW, and the AI on Japan, Britain, and USA were identified as TOO FAST. The new calculator recommendations should reflect this feedback. I only changed these a small amount, so please leave further feedback so I can keep update and refine.

- Survey feedback was inconclusive on Mexico and Singapore, where some users thought the AI was far too fast, some far too slow.

- Cleaned up the formatting and deleted uneccessary stuff.

Below is a table roughly showing the old recommendations, and the new recommendations (DO NOT USE THESE SPECIFICALLY - USE THE CALCULATOR FOR A MORE ACCURATE RESULT):

Track OLD NEW
Australia +4 +2
Bahrain -7 -3
Vietnam +1 0
China +2 +1
Netherlands +2 +3
Spain 0 0
Monaco +17 +7
Azerbaijan +1 +2
Canada 0 +2
France +1 -1
Austria +4 +8
Britain -7 -9
Hungary +11 +9
Belgium -5 -5
Italy -1 +1
Singapore +17 +7
Russia -3 -1
Japan -2 -4
USA -2 -4
Mexico +5 +2
Brazil 0 +3
Abu Dhabi +4 +4

DO NOT USE THESE - PLEASE USE THE CALCULATOR. Note: The changes here reflect multiple different changes in the calculator. Please leave feedback if you find a track is not accurate.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NinjaElmo said:

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who has left feedback, particularly those that covered all the tracks and used the calculator properly. Unfortunately I had to exclude a few results from people that didn't seem to set the calculator up properly (if your AI is too fast/slow at Spain, the whole calculator will not function correctly). It looks like lots of people have been using this calculator daily, so I feel like I have a bit of a resposnsibility to make the recommendations accurate.

I've updated the calculator following the v1.12 update. Changes listed below:

- Used top 10% time trial leaderboard times instead of WR times for some tracks. Thanks to @Gonira for the suggestion. This 'fixed' the suggestions for Singapore.

- More accurately determined the base difficulty change from 100 - 101 (This should make everything more accurate, specifically Bahrain and Monaco)

- Added weights based on survey feedback. Of note, the AI on Austria and Bahrain were identified as TOO SLOW, and the AI on Japan, Britain, and USA were identified as TOO FAST. The new calculator recommendations should reflect this feedback. I only changed these a small amount, so please leave further feedback so I can keep update and refine.

- Survey feedback was inconclusive on Mexico and Singapore, where some users thought the AI was far too fast, some far too slow.

- Cleaned up the formatting and deleted uneccessary stuff.

Below is a table roughly showing the old recommendations, and the new recommendations (DO NOT USE THESE SPECIFICALLY - USE THE CALCULATOR FOR A MORE ACCURATE RESULT):

Track OLD NEW
Australia +4 +2
Bahrain -7 -3
Vietnam +1 0
China +2 +1
Netherlands +2 +3
Spain 0 0
Monaco +17 +7
Azerbaijan +1 +2
Canada 0 +2
France +1 -1
Austria +4 +8
Britain -7 -9
Hungary +11 +9
Belgium -5 -5
Italy -1 +1
Singapore +17 +7
Russia -3 -1
Japan -2 -4
USA -2 -4
Mexico +5 +2
Brazil 0 +3
Abu Dhabi +4 +4

DO NOT USE THESE - PLEASE USE THE CALCULATOR. Note: The changes here reflect multiple different changes in the calculator. Please leave feedback if you find a track is not accurate.

Singapore is heavily affected by how you drive. I noticed if you resist to drop to 2nd gear in slower turns your lap time will gets major improvement. Even at 110% I find the AI there to be too slow.

Edited by DRT-Apophis

14 hours ago, DRT-Apophis said:

Singapore is heavily affected by how you drive. I noticed if you resist to drop to 2nd gear in slower turns your lap time will gets major improvement. Even at 110% I find the AI there to be too slow.

Yeah Singapore is a funny one. The data I've looked at shows it as a track that the AI is slower on, and I've seen it brought up often on the forums and by various Youtubers as one of the AI's worst tracks, but then lots of people go crazy at the thought of making a 'difficult' track even more difficult. It's a punishing track sure, but the AI seems to be pretty slow there.

• Agree 1

Just started using this for my new MyTeam save (just started on the whole game actually) because of the inconsistency of the AI from Australia to Bahrain. My baseline is the maximum of 106.

Bahrain felt quite spot on tbh. My setup was designed for the race so I could only manage 19th in Qualifying with my team-mate De Vries in 21st. I think I was only 0.250 ahead of him? Pretty solid for a 65 rated driver though. In the race I was able to hit 14th place on a 2 stop with one car ahead retiring, and my team-mate hit 16th with a 3 stop. Was about 8 seconds ahead of Raikkonen, but far behind the other teams and drivers but Kvyat. 

With one race down I'm already quite satisfied! I'll do a few more races before filling out your survey, but you've done a really good job and service to the community, thank you.

• Agree 1

Looks very interesting, I think I will try this calculator in my "my team" career mode on youtube as soon as possible, I had a lot of IA balancing problems in F1 2019, I hope this calculator will help me

This is just something I struggle with, (S means sector) in S1 Australia, S2 Australia and S1 Spain, I can compete with AI @102% but in S3, Spain and Australia, where the slower corners are, I lose almost one second. I believe the AI can just get a mega good drive out of slower, traction limited zones, that the player is just unable to match. I'd be interested to see if anyone else is losing time in the slower sectors, or if this is a personal issue I have.

54 minutes ago, Cathal P said:

This is just something I struggle with, (S means sector) in S1 Australia, S2 Australia and S1 Spain, I can compete with AI @102% but in S3, Spain and Australia, where the slower corners are, I lose almost one second. I believe the AI can just get a mega good drive out of slower, traction limited zones, that the player is just unable to match. I'd be interested to see if anyone else is losing time in the slower sectors, or if this is a personal issue I have.

AI can control tires in really unrealistic way.

I've tried making the tires to wear 20 times faster, and while my own tires popped right at the moment I touched the throttle, the AI were still able to drive around at a much slower but still reasonable pace and then pit at the end of lap 1.