Jump to content Jump to content

AI Difficulty Calculator

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who has left feedback, particularly those that covered all the tracks and used the calculator properly. Unfortunately I had to exclude a few results from people that didn't seem to set the calculator up properly (if your AI is too fast/slow at Spain, the whole calculator will not function correctly). It looks like lots of people have been using this calculator daily, so I feel like I have a bit of a resposnsibility to make the recommendations accurate.

I've updated the calculator following the v1.12 update. Changes listed below:

- Used top 10% time trial leaderboard times instead of WR times for some tracks. Thanks to @Gonira for the suggestion. This 'fixed' the suggestions for Singapore.

- More accurately determined the base difficulty change from 100 - 101 (This should make everything more accurate, specifically Bahrain and Monaco)

- Added weights based on survey feedback. Of note, the AI on Austria and Bahrain were identified as TOO SLOW, and the AI on Japan, Britain, and USA were identified as TOO FAST. The new calculator recommendations should reflect this feedback. I only changed these a small amount, so please leave further feedback so I can keep update and refine.

- Survey feedback was inconclusive on Mexico and Singapore, where some users thought the AI was far too fast, some far too slow.

- Cleaned up the formatting and deleted uneccessary stuff.

Below is a table roughly showing the old recommendations, and the new recommendations (DO NOT USE THESE SPECIFICALLY - USE THE CALCULATOR FOR A MORE ACCURATE RESULT):

Track OLD NEW
Australia +4 +2
Bahrain -7 -3
Vietnam +1 0
China +2 +1
Netherlands +2 +3
Spain 0 0
Monaco +17 +7
Azerbaijan +1 +2
Canada 0 +2
France +1 -1
Austria +4 +8
Britain -7 -9
Hungary +11 +9
Belgium -5 -5
Italy -1 +1
Singapore +17 +7
Russia -3 -1
Japan -2 -4
USA -2 -4
Mexico +5 +2
Brazil 0 +3
Abu Dhabi +4 +4

DO NOT USE THESE - PLEASE USE THE CALCULATOR. Note: The changes here reflect multiple different changes in the calculator. Please leave feedback if you find a track is not accurate.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, NinjaElmo said:

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who has left feedback, particularly those that covered all the tracks and used the calculator properly. Unfortunately I had to exclude a few results from people that didn't seem to set the calculator up properly (if your AI is too fast/slow at Spain, the whole calculator will not function correctly). It looks like lots of people have been using this calculator daily, so I feel like I have a bit of a resposnsibility to make the recommendations accurate.

I've updated the calculator following the v1.12 update. Changes listed below:

- Used top 10% time trial leaderboard times instead of WR times for some tracks. Thanks to @Gonira for the suggestion. This 'fixed' the suggestions for Singapore.

- More accurately determined the base difficulty change from 100 - 101 (This should make everything more accurate, specifically Bahrain and Monaco)

- Added weights based on survey feedback. Of note, the AI on Austria and Bahrain were identified as TOO SLOW, and the AI on Japan, Britain, and USA were identified as TOO FAST. The new calculator recommendations should reflect this feedback. I only changed these a small amount, so please leave further feedback so I can keep update and refine.

- Survey feedback was inconclusive on Mexico and Singapore, where some users thought the AI was far too fast, some far too slow.

- Cleaned up the formatting and deleted uneccessary stuff.

Below is a table roughly showing the old recommendations, and the new recommendations (DO NOT USE THESE SPECIFICALLY - USE THE CALCULATOR FOR A MORE ACCURATE RESULT):

Track OLD NEW
Australia +4 +2
Bahrain -7 -3
Vietnam +1 0
China +2 +1
Netherlands +2 +3
Spain 0 0
Monaco +17 +7
Azerbaijan +1 +2
Canada 0 +2
France +1 -1
Austria +4 +8
Britain -7 -9
Hungary +11 +9
Belgium -5 -5
Italy -1 +1
Singapore +17 +7
Russia -3 -1
Japan -2 -4
USA -2 -4
Mexico +5 +2
Brazil 0 +3
Abu Dhabi +4 +4

DO NOT USE THESE - PLEASE USE THE CALCULATOR. Note: The changes here reflect multiple different changes in the calculator. Please leave feedback if you find a track is not accurate.

Singapore is heavily affected by how you drive. I noticed if you resist to drop to 2nd gear in slower turns your lap time will gets major improvement. Even at 110% I find the AI there to be too slow.

Edited by DRT-Apophis
14 hours ago, DRT-Apophis said:

Singapore is heavily affected by how you drive. I noticed if you resist to drop to 2nd gear in slower turns your lap time will gets major improvement. Even at 110% I find the AI there to be too slow.

Yeah Singapore is a funny one. The data I've looked at shows it as a track that the AI is slower on, and I've seen it brought up often on the forums and by various Youtubers as one of the AI's worst tracks, but then lots of people go crazy at the thought of making a 'difficult' track even more difficult. It's a punishing track sure, but the AI seems to be pretty slow there.

• Agree 1

Just started using this for my new MyTeam save (just started on the whole game actually) because of the inconsistency of the AI from Australia to Bahrain. My baseline is the maximum of 106.

Bahrain felt quite spot on tbh. My setup was designed for the race so I could only manage 19th in Qualifying with my team-mate De Vries in 21st. I think I was only 0.250 ahead of him? Pretty solid for a 65 rated driver though. In the race I was able to hit 14th place on a 2 stop with one car ahead retiring, and my team-mate hit 16th with a 3 stop. Was about 8 seconds ahead of Raikkonen, but far behind the other teams and drivers but Kvyat. 

With one race down I'm already quite satisfied! I'll do a few more races before filling out your survey, but you've done a really good job and service to the community, thank you.

• Agree 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This is just something I struggle with, (S means sector) in S1 Australia, S2 Australia and S1 Spain, I can compete with AI @102% but in S3, Spain and Australia, where the slower corners are, I lose almost one second. I believe the AI can just get a mega good drive out of slower, traction limited zones, that the player is just unable to match. I'd be interested to see if anyone else is losing time in the slower sectors, or if this is a personal issue I have.

54 minutes ago, Cathal P said:

This is just something I struggle with, (S means sector) in S1 Australia, S2 Australia and S1 Spain, I can compete with AI @102% but in S3, Spain and Australia, where the slower corners are, I lose almost one second. I believe the AI can just get a mega good drive out of slower, traction limited zones, that the player is just unable to match. I'd be interested to see if anyone else is losing time in the slower sectors, or if this is a personal issue I have.

AI can control tires in really unrealistic way.

I've tried making the tires to wear 20 times faster, and while my own tires popped right at the moment I touched the throttle, the AI were still able to drive around at a much slower but still reasonable pace and then pit at the end of lap 1. 

• 1 month later...

Jumping in here with my first comment. I loved reading this thread as I found that a good AI difficulty is a huge factor in having a good, immersive F1 game experience. In the past, I tracked my difficulty adjustments myself. Since I started discussing this with some friends we just ended up taking a few days to build a basic tool (F1Laps). It allows you to track your myteam/career progress & AI difficulty.

The tool also calculates our average difficulty & difficulty adjustments per track, which we've published here: https://www.f1laps.com/pages/resources/f1-2020-game-difficulty-by-track (updates daily). Our adjustments are not super consistent with the calculator data -- I guess it's another case of each one of us having different track strengths & weaknesses, and not enough aggregate data yet to smooth out individual inconsistencies. 

Personally, my own approach mostly relies on my previous seasons. I prefer setting the difficulty based on how I perform "realistically" - even if it's not consistent with the "average" driver.

• Agree 1
4 hours ago, krz9 said:

The tool also calculates our average difficulty & difficulty adjustments per track

HI krz9. As someone who has never used an AI calculator before can you just confirm I am reading it correctly. If I go to your site and select Austria it shows an average difficulty of 96 and an average lap time of 1m 08.6564s. Does this mean that if my PB is 1m 08.6xx I should be setting the AI difficulty to 96? But what if my PB is 1m 09.6xx or 1m 07.6xx? How do I calculate what the AI needs to be set at? Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Lurtz said:

HI krz9. As someone who has never used an AI calculator before can you just confirm I am reading it correctly. If I go to your site and select Austria it shows an average difficulty of 96 and an average lap time of 1m 08.6564s. Does this mean that if my PB is 1m 08.6xx I should be setting the AI difficulty to 96? But what if my PB is 1m 09.6xx or 1m 07.6xx? How do I calculate what the AI needs to be set at? Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Hi Lurtz - good question! There are different approaches to AI difficulty. None of which are perfect imo. Two that I've considered:

1. Baseline difficulty + adjustments per track: once you have a sense for your average ("baseline") difficulty, you can then adjust it for each track based on how well you know/think you'll do. As an example, my own difficulty baseline is around 90 (meaning over the course of a season my average is about 90). For tracks I do well, such as Austria, I increase my difficulty by 5. For tracks I suck at, such as Vietnam, I decrease by 7. The page I've linked to is helpful with this approach, as it shows the average difficulty adjustment for each track.
  2. Laptime comparison: this approach is similar to what you've asked about. You first set your own laptime on a track, then compare it with some online benchmark which spits out the recommended difficulty. This works well if you're willing to always hop into Time Trial mode to set a few laptimes. It's important that you use Time Trial (and always the Mercedes), because laptimes depend on factors such as car performance, tire wear, engine mode, etc. Time Trial is the only mode that keeps those constant. If you'd set a lap in My Team Practice, for instance, you'd get a much slower laptime (e.g. because engine mode is lower, or because your car is weaker); and the slower laptime would then result in a lower suggested difficulty by any "difficulty calculator". Personally, I don't want to go to Time Trial each time I'm about to race a Grand Prix... hence I stick with approach #1.

I'd love to hear if anyone has different approaches to this! With regards to the second approach, my friends and I are working on publishing our average laptime by difficulty data as well -- I'll post it here shortly, stay tuned. Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with - would love to hear more opinions on how to improve our data and make everyone's F1 experience better 🙂

On 12/30/2020 at 8:58 PM, Lurtz said:

Following up on my last comment. I made good use of the days off and published some of our time trial laps data. Check out this new page for Austria (or the list of all tracks here). You can enter your own laptime and benchmark it against average AI laptimes per difficulty level on that track. A laptime of 1:09.600, for instance, would result in a suggested difficulty level of 38. As a reminder, this is all based on Mercedes Time Trial data -- that's the only way to make data comparable.

As I mentioned in my last post, you could alternatively (once you know your average "baseline" difficulty level) adjust your AI difficulty based on the average per-track difficulty adjustments. And/or track your own AI difficulty levels to see your own progress over time.

OK, so I entered my best Mercedes Austria Time Trial lap (1:05.937 - using a Tom97 setup) and this gives me a difficulty of 84. When I go to race, however, I will be in my Season 1 car which obviously is near the bottom of the development chart. Won't being in my own team car (as opposed to being in an all singing all dancing Mercedes) have an effect on my level of competitiveness?

On the other hand, I have spent time building up data at Barcelona (driving as Perez) and 65 is the level which puts me close to Stroll. Adding the Austria 'offset' of +6 therefore suggests an AI level of 71.

Although the above has got me completely confused over which AI level to use, it has at least led me to your website which I have found to match my own nerdiness over compiling data! Great site.

Not sure but this calculator is WAY off for me. Im using the Calculator by a guy on reddit and its much closer at least for me. On his calculator, Singapore is 82, but on yours im 96. Most other tracks are similar, but I feel closer with the one im using.

On 11/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, Cathal P said:

Exactly the same issue for me, with every edition of the game. Both of them are nightmares to drive.

1 hour ago, creweutah said:

Not sure but this calculator is WAY off for me. Im using the Calculator by a guy on reddit and its much closer at least for me. On his calculator, Singapore is 82, but on yours im 96. Most other tracks are similar, but I feel closer with the one im using.

The likes of Singapore & Monaco you are either good at it, or you aren't. Using 90 as a base I need to lower those two or I've no chance. On the other hand China, Canada, Austria, Italy & Mexico I can lap upto to the top 3/4, or at Mexico the entire field. Everything else isn't far off for me except Bahrain which is one I need to not lower. I think it also depends on race distance as the AI strategies screw the balance up by doing silly amounts of pitstops on 100% like 4 at Mexico, or anything other than a one stop at Hungary (they'll do 3, with some doing 2) and this is with chassis upgrades in career or myteam.

23 hours ago, Lurtz said:

OK, so I entered my best Mercedes Austria Time Trial lap (1:05.937 - using a Tom97 setup) and this gives me a difficulty of 84. When I go to race, however, I will be in my Season 1 car which obviously is near the bottom of the development chart. Won't being in my own team car (as opposed to being in an all singing all dancing Mercedes) have an effect on my level of competitiveness?

The tricky thing with AI difficulty calculators is that lap times depend on car performance. Which means that, in order to compare lap times, you need to use a Time Trial car (because, as you mentioned, e.g. in My Team season 1 the car is much worse). The difficulty calculator should be based on Mercedes Time Trial data that maps to the corresponding AI difficulty (which in turn is assumed to be uniform across game modes). Not sure if my explanation makes sense 😄... but the takeaway is that - if the difficulty calculator has good enough data - than the resulting difficulty level should work well for My Team.

At the same time though: if this calculator is more confusing than helpful, than I recommend you just don't use it. At the end of the day, the best rule of thumb imo is that your quali result should be roughly equal to your teammate. The easiest way to find a good AI difficulty is to just run some qualis and adjust the difficulty based on the result!

23 hours ago, Lurtz said:

Although the above has got me completely confused over which AI level to use, it has at least led me to your website which I have found to match my own nerdiness over compiling data! Great site.

Awesome - that's great to hear! And yes, data nerdiness is exactly how we got to building this site. Please ping me anytime if you have questions or feedback - would love to improve the site to make it more useful for you. You can also DM me here (not sure if this forum supports DMs?) or email at krz@f1laps.com.

6 hours ago, creweutah said:

Ha, sorry to hear that it gave bad results! As Ollof mentioned, Singapore bight be one of those tracks where player skills are all over the place. But at the same time, I do think that the difficulty calculator data we published still has a lot of room for improvement. 

Which reddit calculator are you using? Curious to check it out. Maybe I can improve ours accordingly too. 

Edited by krz9

Hi! I would like to give my feedback to the calculator.

I feel like I am a consistent driver, not a champion, clean style; I am a wheel user and I play AI level 101, no assists except racing line on corners.

I always found the AI in the game inconsistent from track to track and at first I didn't bother, as it could be me not performing well in some tracks. The experience i look for is realism, so I always tweaked my AI level to have fun and fight where the car is supposed to fight in, so no podiums with Williams, in example.

First, I verified if 101 was my level, and it was very difficult for me to drive with the base setup but in the end I tied Stroll's time at 101 so this was good.

I tweaked Austria from 101 to 107 and this was good, I battled in the midfield with my midfield Ferrari dueling mostly with Leclerc and Sainz.

But I found UK too low at 92, as I achieved P3 in q1 with midfield Alphatauri. So I raised it at 95 for the race but still found myself from p14 to p3 in about 4 laps, shut down the console and went back to my base 101. This was Better, I won the race due to good safety car strategy but still don't find it plausible that I dueled wheel to wheel with Ham and Bot until last lap.

Maybe Spain si a circuit I am not particularly good at and I should raise my base AI a bit?

On 12/30/2020 at 10:25 AM, krz9 said:

Jumping in here with my first comment. I loved reading this thread as I found that a good AI difficulty is a huge factor in having a good, immersive F1 game experience. In the past, I tracked my difficulty adjustments myself. Since I started discussing this with some friends we just ended up taking a few days to build a basic tool (F1Laps). It allows you to track your myteam/career progress & AI difficulty.

The tool also calculates our average difficulty & difficulty adjustments per track, which we've published here: https://www.f1laps.com/pages/resources/f1-2020-game-difficulty-by-track (updates daily). Our adjustments are not super consistent with the calculator data -- I guess it's another case of each one of us having different track strengths & weaknesses, and not enough aggregate data yet to smooth out individual inconsistencies. 

Personally, my own approach mostly relies on my previous seasons. I prefer setting the difficulty based on how I perform "realistically" - even if it's not consistent with the "average" driver.

Dude, I registered on your site.  Thank You.  I have a notebpok with this info jotted down and its confusing.  This site is fantastic.  Thank You.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:32 PM, dxBaron89 said:

Thanks for sharing the link! 🙏 I appreciate it. I'll check it out and see if we can add some of this data on our site to improve the results. 

On 1/5/2021 at 9:57 AM, sparticus19b said:

Dude, I registered on your site.  Thank You.  I have a notebpok with this info jotted down and its confusing.  This site is fantastic.  Thank You.

Awesome, glad to hear it! Please let me know if there's anything we can do to make it more useful for you! (reach out here or email krz@f1laps.com)

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone!

Sorry if I'm bringing back some old stuff but I recently rediscovered racing games and I'm really into the F1 2020 game since november. I really love the career modes but the AI level was always a pain since it's uneven over the tracks - as extensively discussed here. For example, for a given AI level and driving a Ferrari, there is no way I beat the Mercedes in Baku and finish 14th in Silverstone - is just too much to account only to parts' wearing.

I tried also all the methods posted here, they work fine but I still felt something missing. So I mixed the initially proposed by @NinjaElmo as a backbone boosted the AI level test: the Codemasters' one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QctGg-2pb4&amp 

The idea is to create personal scale having the spanish gp as baseline in such a way that doesn't matter which assists you use or if you do better at faster tracks. The remaning difference in performance lies only in the difference between teams themselves and in the car parts' wearing.

It works by doing the AI level test in exactly the same way Codemasters propose but in every circuit, and average it overtime thus creating your scale similarly to what @NinjaElmo did. In my opinion a easy way to do so is right before the race weekend so it goes naturally as a part of it. If you do so 3 or 4 times a reliable pattern will show up. To update it as your driving skill improves all you have to do is to run the AI level test in Spain (or in any track of choice) and use it as a baseline to scale the AI level in the rest of the tracks.

In the same sheet there is also a section where you can put your race results and see how you improve overtime. Kind cosmetic but life isn't all about numbers and stuff, right? 😎

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LNNVal6zSlZHALMxEcGrsoarqeSKrbAB7zceI724UBU/edit?usp=sharing

Hope it helps,

Cheers

Edited by dancrodrigues