Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×
F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

How to solve some kind of 3d graphics issue (NOT a bug)

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

I am getting incorrect colours displayed in game (starting F2 full season) playing on Steam/Win 10 PC. This manifests slighlty differently on every game load, but is consistently when using Direct X 12. If I load the game using the DX 11 option, the colours display normally. See attached screenshots for examples, but in essence I am getting luminous cyan, yellow and blue in areas in shadow - for example in the pits around the 'screens' drawn on the front of the cockpit, shadows in the cockpit and on trackside buildings.

In some cases the track surface is also displayed in 'neon' cyan colour instead of grey, as though there is a glitch in the colour lookup. Again this fault is not displayed when running the game in DX 11.

Only seen when going into on-track sessions; all game menus (main menus and in car overlays) and animated interstitials display correctly regardless of DX12 or 11 mode. Screen shots attached, this shows faulty shadow colours under grandstand in DX12 mode (track actually loaded correctly in this instance).

2.       Platform

Win 10 Home Build 1909, Intel Core i9-9900K, 32Gb RAM, ASUS Z390M TUF Gaming motherboard, ASUS Nvidia RTX-2070 Super (single card), M2 SSD for OS and F1 game install folders

DXDiag output attached for reference

3.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen)

Executable version 1.066.6824

4.       Game-mode?

So far seen in F2 'career' mode during on-track sessions.

5.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

At least 6 - 8 attempts at loading game in DX12 mode. Issue appears on every load

6.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

Checking I have latest Nvidia drivers, searching for DX12 issues to determine any optional settings, altering in-game graphics options including anti-aliasing modes and changing settings for post-processing & shadow detail. Only resolution seems to be running in DX11 mode.

7.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Logitech G29 wheel & pedal set. Logitech bluetooth keyboard and generic bluetooth mouse. Samsung and Phillip HDMI monitors

8.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

Sceenshots attached, no specific timestamp as issue persists as long as using DX12

DxDiag.txt

F1_2020_photo_20200717_121344 (DX12).png

F1_2020_photo_20200717_122052 (DX11).png

Posted (edited)

1. Yes, well, I realise the title isn't exactly helpful, but I have some kind of issue with the graphics, specifically the 3d models, and I honestly can't figure out how to describe it, so for an example, see the attached image.

The game runs perfectly okay, nothing wrong with that side of things, it's just everything looks like that, and I cannot figure out what to do to make it look normal. I think it's an anti-aliasing thing, but not sure. It affects all (I think) black surfaces and causes some weird reflection as well. In addition to the below, it also occurs in the eyes and eyebrows of character models, again with the black hairs and pupils. Everything else works. I can totally play the game. It's just reeeeally hard to do given one cannot see that clearly. No error codes, everything works. It just displays the 3d stuff really off.

2. I play on a PC. A rather aging one, but I'd like to stress and repeat again: Nothing is technically wrong with the game. The races work fine, the sound works fine.

3. Game's in version 1.06, but again, nothing wrong with the game. It's just set up wrong and I'd like some help to figure out what I can do.

4. All game modes, any time the game shows a 3d modeled object in the menus, in the shop and in every customisation mode. Every time it needs to show 3d models, actually.

5. Again, not a bug. It just shows like the image below every time I open the game. Nothing needs to be replicated, because it's NOT A BUG. I just require some assistance to figure out what is up with this. It happens everytime automatically. It just exists like this.

6. I have tried to push on some options in the graphics, but given that I do not know exactly what does what, I am afraid of making it somehow worse. I have tried searching for an answer online, but I don't know what the issue exactly is called, nor how to describe it in a google search, so I am rather stuck.

7. If it has any meaningful information: I am on a combo of a keyboard and an xbox-controller (Off-brand, by someone called "Piranha", if I read the name correctly)

8. See below for image. Everything just exists as that in a world of extremely high reflection and no black coloring anywhere.

Thanks in advance for the help

Lighting øøøh.png

Edited by JVtheTossh
Got told to follow bug report template

Thanks for adding your issue. However, we require all bug reports to follow and complete the template below. This is critical information Codemasters needs to be able to see your bug clearly. Link:

Well, it's not a bug.

I have amended what I can, but as I said, it's not a bug. I am pretty sure my graphics are just set up wrong, but I do not know how to fix it.

1 hour ago, JVtheTossh said:

Well, it's not a bug.

I have amended what I can, but as I said, it's not a bug. I am pretty sure my graphics are just set up wrong, but I do not know how to fix it.

Yep i have the same on Xbox One S. Blurred, pixeled and awful graphics and textures (cars, gloves, suits and helmets)

1 minute ago, BartexBucket said:

Yep i have the same on Xbox One S. Blurred, pixeled and awful graphics and textures (cars, gloves, suits and helmets)

Well, I mean, what I can see is not blurry or pixeled. Or not any more than I expect from playing on the lowest graphics setting (Old PC, very old).

I'm personally aware that I have to play on a low graphics setting to not tank my hardware, so the slight blurriness and pixels are not bothering me, personally, that much. It's just this weird reflecting world, where anything black, dark-coloured or hit by sunlight just distorts in colour. It's just the colours.

But you are right in that it's on cars, gloves, suits, helmets. Also on buildings, cars, road, barriers, halos and humans in general.

13 minutes ago, JVtheTossh said:

Well, I mean, what I can see is not blurry or pixeled. Or not any more than I expect from playing on the lowest graphics setting (Old PC, very old).

I'm personally aware that I have to play on a low graphics setting to not tank my hardware, so the slight blurriness and pixels are not bothering me, personally, that much. It's just this weird reflecting world, where anything black, dark-coloured or hit by sunlight just distorts in colour. It's just the colours.

But you are right in that it's on cars, gloves, suits, helmets. Also on buildings, cars, road, barriers, halos and humans in general.

Alright, no problem. I know your problem and you are right - we have different issues, but I wanted to add something simmilar.

I've reported a similar issue with weird/wrong colours when running the game in DirectX 12, on very nice & high performance hardware. If I run the game in DirectX 11, no issues whatsoever. You can see my bug report (which still has had no reply after almost a month) here: 

2 hours ago, naywa01 said:

I've reported a similar issue with weird/wrong colours when running the game in DirectX 12, on very nice & high performance hardware. If I run the game in DirectX 11, no issues whatsoever. You can see my bug report (which still has had no reply after almost a month) here: 

Yep, I totally agree with you. I’m having the same issue

Hi @JVtheTossh

Can you post a DXDiag and your copy of your Advanced Graphics and Video Mode Settings. An example is below:

20200810115205_1.jpg20200810111433_1.jpg

First step would be to try and turn 'Asynchronous Compute' Off. 

Merged topic and on same issue.

I'm going to suggest both users DDU and reinstall their drivers. Please do not alter any settings in the driver and perform a clean installation. Do not have GFE 'optimize' your game. Delete the hardware_settings_config.xml before launching.

In a previous post I have recommended 446.14 when using 1903/1909

Can't help with XB1 and the other user hasn't given any dxdiag

There are under the hood changes with 2004 (450.xx driver builds) support DX12 Ultimate, DLSS 2.0, etc. none of which this game is designed to support.

Once you have a working game, then adjusting your driver changes one by one will reveal the problem. Far faster for users to let CM know than CM try to figure the issues and tell the users.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2020 at 3:41 PM, steviejay69 said:

I'm going to suggest both users DDU and reinstall their drivers. Please do not alter any settings in the driver and perform a clean installation. Do not have GFE 'optimize' your game. Delete the hardware_settings_config.xml before launching.

In a previous post I have recommended 446.14 when using 1903/1909

Can't help with XB1 and the other user hasn't given any dxdiag

There are under the hood changes with 2004 (450.xx driver builds) support DX12 Ultimate, DLSS 2.0, etc. none of which this game is designed to support.

Once you have a working game, then adjusting your driver changes one by one will reveal the problem. Far faster for users to let CM know than CM try to figure the issues and tell the users.

Well, I agree, and I did that. But now the game crashes on startup. I get a double EGO Dumper crash message. The game crashes twice. I've never seen this before.

I admit, my graphics driver was woefully out of date. I had not noticed because everything else was working, but I should've double-checked before asking. But I have now upgaded the driver, I've reinstalled the game as well and done all the other things you suggested, and F1 2020 just crashes and burns. It starts fine, plays the cinematic and loads in. Then I get to the "press any button" prompt, do that, and it just flames out.

I'd like to correct myself and say that I am on the 1.07 release, not the 1.06 as I initially believed.

I have appended both error logs below, but I gotta say, following your advice actually made my game run worse. Before your fix, I could run the game, and the game worked from a technical standpoint. It just looked like it'd been left in the oven for too long. Now it doesn't run at all. I do not get an error code apart from those two logs down there, and it happens every time on start up. Every time with 2! separate crash logs. Game sounds stays on, but after closing 2nd error report, everything just CTDs.

Edit: Just wanted to add that because of this, I am unable to supply my graphical settings as asked for. I apologise, but now the thing CTDs upon trying to enter the main menu.

ErrorLog1.txt

ErrorLog2.txt

Edited by JVtheTossh

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, JVtheTossh said:

Well, I agree, and I did that. But now the game crashes on startup. I get a double EGO Dumper crash message. The game crashes twice. I've never seen this before.

I admit, my graphics driver was woefully out of date. I had not noticed because everything else was working, but I should've double-checked before asking. But I have now upgaded the driver, I've reinstalled the game as well and done all the other things you suggested, and F1 2020 just crashes and burns. It starts fine, plays the cinematic and loads in. Then I get to the "press any button" prompt, do that, and it just flames out.

I'd like to correct myself and say that I am on the 1.07 release, not the 1.06 as I initially believed.

I have appended both error logs below, but I gotta say, following your advice actually made my game run worse. Before your fix, I could run the game, and the game worked from a technical standpoint. It just looked like it'd been left in the oven for too long. Now it doesn't run at all. I do not get an error code apart from those two logs down there, and it happens every time on start up. Every time with 2! separate crash logs. Game sounds stays on, but after closing 2nd error report, everything just CTDs.

Edit: Just wanted to add that because of this, I am unable to supply my graphical settings as asked for. I apologise, but now the thing CTDs upon trying to enter the main menu.

ErrorLog1.txt

ErrorLog2.txt

The EGO Dumper logs aren't helpful. The referenced zips of the crash dumps are. And the dxdiag as requested by @BarryBL. If you give incomplete info, then there's more guesswork.

Edited by steviejay69

Okay, well, I have found them now. I was not aware of the difference. I would like to note that until driver update I did not have any of those to show. I had not experienced a crash, so I couldn't have shown a dxdiag even if I had wanted to. These are all post-update.

Again, the game ran fine from a technical and gameplay standpoint before the update. It just looked... A bit naff. I would very much love to try the suggestions that Mr. @BarryBL offers, it's just that after I updated the driver, I cannot anymore. I spent last night going through all my other newer games, and it's actually only F1 2020 that's affected, which is the weirdest bit about it.

I am really bad at computers, in truth. This might as well be star wars levels of tech to me.

675864-20200815-215745-0.zip

675864-20200815-215732-0.zip

Try disabling your iGPU, the 2070 is not being detected as the primary display adapter looking at the hardware_settings_config.xml