Overtaking round the outside is too easy

The AI never used to do this, when you launch the car round the outside of them at a corner, even when you are still behind them, they change their racing line so they get a terrible exit and it is too easy to overtake. 

The AI are still terrible on this game, I don't think Codemasters will ever design a good model. 

I find that for the first time AI is actually fun to race against. For once in F1 games they are actually varied, make mistakes, have different lines. I would love to see a bit more struggle in certain situations and for them to make player-like mistakes at lower difficulty levels, but this year I can honestly enjoy the SP gameplay.

1 hour ago, JosephAgnello said:

The AI never used to do this, when you launch the car round the outside of them at a corner, even when you are still behind them, they change their racing line so they get a terrible exit and it is too easy to overtake. 

The AI are still terrible on this game, I don't think Codemasters will ever design a good model. 

Excluding practice/qualifying, I actually think the AI here overall are pretty damn great (Can't remember the last time I had so much fun racing in single player mode). Like you said, they just need to be more willing to fight against you in side-by-side situation through corners, then we'll have one of the best in the market.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, JosephAgnello said:

Every time the AI behavior becomes a topic I find these two conclusions always pop up on the debate:

1. You simply cannot talk about how the AI is performing without informing your AI Difficulty level. The behavior varies greatly on that scale;
  2. Zeitgeist seem to converge that the AI behavior is pretty darn good this time around. Not only miles better than the previous entry, but pretty good even when talking about racing games as a whole.

I play on AI 100 and tend to agree. Loads of fun. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For the player it is too tempting to shut the door on the AI and not give them space when in reality this would cause a penalty or worse. 

Most of the time when I think of 'poor AI' complaints, it's aggressive player actions, and obviously AI is gonna back out at this point. 

• Agree 1

I had Leclerc overtaking me on the outside at T10 of Zandvoort.

Netherlands_Circuit.png

He was madly ballsy on the move, going wide on corner entry and squeezing me out mid corner. I happily consented, as I was building up on ERS and the DRS detection zone is precisely on that stretch, with the activation zone on the following straight.

He came in hot, I conceded, I slipstreamed behind him on corner exit, then went Rich fuel mix and Overtake on ERS, activated my gifted DRS and Leclerc was no more.

Sometimes it doesn't look like we're playing the same game.

Edit @KNT2011

Most of the time when I think of 'poor AI' complaints, it's aggressive player actions, and obviously AI is gonna back out at this point. 

Yeah, I get the same impression. It would be helpful if people could provide more details. I can't help but think that maybe some of the players complaining about this or that aspect of the AI never heard of one-movement rule and come in blocking like if we were racing on Nascar or whatever.

Edited by marioho
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

For the player it is too tempting to shut the door on the AI and not give them space when in reality this would cause a penalty or worse. 

The AI is happy to do this as well though so I'm simply returning the favor. I destroyed something like four front wings of other cars at the end of the final DRS zone in Russia because the AI insisted on pushing me into the wall while I was already in the process of overtaking them.

The AI is definitely a little bit soft. Especially if they're trying to overtake you. It's too easy to keep them behind you. I'm playing on 105%. 

2 hours ago, marioho said:

Every time the AI behavior becomes a topic I find these two conclusions always pop up on the debate:

1. You simply cannot talk about how the AI is performing without informing your AI Difficulty level. The behavior varies greatly on that scale;
  2. Zeitgeist seem to converge that the AI behavior is pretty darn good this time around. Not only miles better than the previous entry, but pretty good even when talking about racing games as a whole.

I play on AI 100 and tend to agree. Loads of fun. 

I noticed they push especially hard on the final 2 laps (103-109% Ai), attacking you with every given opportunities. Just a shame that if you're pushy enough they'll gladly back off (not on the straight though), or else, just imagine the level of tension if you're in a pack of cars on the final lap.

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

I noticed they push especially hard on the final 2 laps (103-109% Ai), attacking you with every given opportunities. Just a shame that if you're pushy enough they'll gladly back off (not on the straight though), or else, just imagine the level of tension if you're in a pack of cars on the final lap.

This. After a pit stop and during the final laps the AI will be far more aggressive and won't back out in corners unless you squeeze them. I think this year's AI is much better than last year, especially now that they actually make mistakes

• Like 1