F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE | Season 3 starting 20/11 Read more... ×

I’m getting killed when I pit

I’m playing on elite mode with all assists off. I qualify in the top ten (25% laps) and do decent until I pit then I get slaughtered. When I played on easier settings I would just make my time back when I passed the drivers who pitted a lap or two later than me. I’m still pretty new to elite mode and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Thanks in advance for input. 

I don’t know what you mean but it don’t think that it has to do with all assist off.

If you are speaking about doing an undercut, there are a few things to consider. You should really push hard on in and out lap and you can lose much time when pitting trying to brake at the pit entry. Undercut does not always mean winning a place.

It’s a matter of strategy for me but difficult to answer without much info but not a question of assist.

I need to learn more about pitting strategy. I get what you mean about how it’s not because of the assists but playing without them makes me considerably slower especially playing without the line specifically. 

You should try removing assist one at a time. There are a lot of video on YouTube giving you tips to do it.

You should first try to learn the track, every corner, every apex and braking points by watching other videos and progressively removing the racing line (only on corners, then off).

Keep progressing and be patient, you cannot expect racing without assist in a short period of time.

Do you have the AI at a good difficulty? Because you probably got worse when you turned off the assists so did you turn down the AI as well?

Just checking I see Elite has Pit Assist and Pit Release Assist off. Is it perhaps these rather than the main driving assists that are making the big difference?

For myself I'm using the Custom assists option to gradually switch things off one by one.

I couldn’t give you my exact pit stop time but they aren’t horrible. I’m sure turning on the assist would be a big improvement though. I’ll think about it. I really think timing is my problem somehow. But I’ve got to pit when I’ve got to pit!

Sure. I was running a racing point at China. I qualified 6th. I maintained that position until the 4th lap when I was scheduled to pit. After the pit stop I was stuck in 18th place. Before the race ended I managed to fight my way up to 13th. Is there some strategic flaw in what I’m doing? 

3 minutes ago, DarthValke726 said:

Sure. I was running a racing point at China. I qualified 6th. I maintained that position until the 4th lap when I was scheduled to pit. After the pit stop I was stuck in 18th place. Before the race ended I managed to fight my way up to 13th. Is there some strategic flaw in what I’m doing? 

Is it that you're struggling to overtake slower cars after you've pitted? Changing tyre strategy so your pit stop is much later in the race might help if it is. Are the leaders pitting much later than you actually? It could also be you're losing more time than you think due to the pit assists being off.

(I've not raced China myself yet to comment specifically but others will probably be along soon who can.)

I presume the others outside the top 10 on a better strategy are benefiting from you and others pitting early. 

Can you post your lap times and some ai’s to compare. as well as strategy/tyre choice.

Or try 50% distance and see if anything gets better. 

Lap 4 isn't too early to pit? On 25% races I think most people pit on the 6-8 lap window. If you pit too early your overall race pace will be affected as you are depriving yourself of running on good rubber while the competition is getting the most out of their tyres until the end. The difference in lap time could be what is costing you a few passings. 

28 minutes ago, DarthValke726 said:

But I’ve got to pit when I’ve got to pit!

You probably know, but I assume you realise you don't have to come in on the lap you set on the strategy window if during the race you don't want to? 

19 minutes ago, marioho said:

Lap 4 isn't too early to pit? On 25% races I think most people pit on the 6-8 lap window. If you pit too early your overall race pace will be affected as you are depriving yourself of running on good rubber while the competition is getting the most out of their tyres until the end. The difference in lap time could be what is costing you a few passings. 

Lap 4 is a bit early but the wear on the soft tyres in China is pretty bad.

Posted (edited)

It varies. When you're sitting on the grid and is prompted to choose your race strategy, pay attention to the graph projecting your tyre wear. It will give you your expected pit lap, but often Jeff would automatically change your strategy or ask you to do so and make you pit much earlier than needed. I think this was corrected in the last couple patches?

Anyway, take note of the projected tyre wear and the expected pit lap. You're leaving performance at the table if you pit too early.

Edit@GnrDreagon indeed it is, but even so I don't think I ever needed to pit so early in the race. Even in China. Another thing to consider is if OP isn't running on worn tyres. If you make it to Q3 (or the top 10 in short quali?) you'll have to start the race on the tyre set you used to on Q2. So if you're running them bare, you're sacrificing your performance. There are usually more than one set of tyres available for you on Quali, make use of them. At most 2 laps in any set so you start your race as fresh as possible. 

Edited by marioho