How many Flashbacks do you use during a race weekend  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How many Flashbacks do you use during a race weekend

• None
    • Between 1 and 5
    • More than 5
    • More than 10

Posted (edited)

More than I’d like. I think I used three during the Hungarian GP (50%) yesterday. One of them was because Sainz span me around at the penultimate corner, when there clearly wasn’t room to make an overtake. The other two were just correcting my own stupidity.

I think I’d come last in every race by a margin if I didn’t use them.

However, I don’t use them in qualifying. That feels too much like cheating.

In practice I don’t see a problem with using them as I am literally practicing driving around the track. Surely the idea is to be able to do bits over and over if you need to. Which I do because I’m still pretty new to the gaming world.

Edited by Mintona
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, janbonator said:

I've disabled flashbacks altogether. I used to have them on during practice sessions, but gave that up as well. I just don't get any rush from driving on the limit if I can press a button and pretend a mistake never happened. There's no tension in overtaking either. I go as immersive as I can - no assists, no flashbacks (an assist really), cockpit cam, 50% distance. Will start a Pro Career once I can keep up with the 110 AI on more than just a few tracks.

Two years ago I still used flashbacks a lot if driving Career. My main use for them was cancelling penalties for running wide on the exit kerbs. I can just say that I'm enjoying the driving so much more with the entire option disabled.

Hey more power to you, people just have to do what is fun for them.

I use no assists, sim damage, strict rules/corner cutting, flashbacks only for stupid AI, T-Cam (because no VR means cockpit view is way harder than real life), 100% distance <-- cos that is the real immersion for me, 90+ minutes of white knuckle concentration!

I think flashbacks are fine so long as you have the self-discipline to not use them to correct for your own faults. I've been racing F1 sims since 1999, the VAST majority of which had absolutely no recourse for mistakes made. The solution people used back for game induced errors was to limit or turn off damage, but that has never sat well with me - open wheelers are by definition very fragile, and that should be part of the experience. By having flashbacks that allow you to correct race ending incidents that aren't your fault, and are arguably due to dumb AI, you can be much more comfortable 

18 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I've had 2 DNFs from AI incidents. One on the last lap of Austria, my first potential points 😞 

Like I said, I suck it up and live with it.

I respect that, as above each to their own.

In my case my time is limited but when I race I love racing 100% races, so to have that amount of time investment blown by AI being dumb really sucks the fun out of it for me. I'll happily take being whipped lap after lap by the AI (like I was in Bahrain), but not shunted on both sides into turn 1, not back markers that swerve into you, not AI that spins you, not AI that brake checks like Verstappen's grandmother. Those things I can live without. If CM can make AI so good that their errors feel completely authentic and every error I make I feel is on me... then I'll turn of flashbacks.

• Agree 2

I'm battle-hardened from 10 years of Forza multiplayer, so I'm used to having no Flashbacks and the occasional car get in my way 😉 

Ultimately, people can play however they want. 0, 1, 5, 500 Flashbacks, use whatever gives you the most enjoyable experience.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I'm battle-hardened from 10 years of Forza multiplayer, so I'm used to having no Flashbacks and the occasional car get in my way 😉 

Ultimately, people can play however they want. 0, 1, 5, 500 Flashbacks, use whatever gives you the most enjoyable experience.

whenever I'm playing something else, GT or PC2 or whatever it might be and I mess up, immediately looking for the flashback button before I remember :classic_laugh:

1 minute ago, KNT2011 said:

whenever I'm playing something else, GT or PC2 or whatever it might be and I mess up, immediately looking for the flashback button before I remember :classic_laugh:

DiRT Rally 2.0, the game where you're a god at Sector 1 and a dunce everywhere else 😉 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

DiRT Rally 2.0, the game where you're a god at Sector 1 and a dunce everywhere else 😉 

I think flashback would have been useful here, 2 hours into a 3 hour race :classic_laugh: :classic_rolleyes:

EfetLNjXgAEhrUn.thumb.jpg.65a07564fe8d72be8933b602b287d503.jpg

Suspension just CONKED on the way up Eu Rouge left me a passenger.

But this is why we play!

Edited by KNT2011
  • Sad 1