How many Flashbacks do you use during a race weekend  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How many Flashbacks do you use during a race weekend

• None
    • Between 1 and 5
    • More than 5
    • More than 10

Posted (edited)

Just curious about how I fare. I would really love not to use Flashbacks, but most of the time due to AI sudden movement (especially backmarkers), first corner chaos or just for the sake of not throwing away a whole race for a small mistake I tend to use a good 7-8 flashbacks per race weekend. 

How about you?

Be honest it's anonymous! 😛

Edited by nuNceP

For me more than 10, but it depend on the track. For example in Monaco i sometimes use flashback once a lap and i play 100% race distance only. I always wanted to use less of but simply can't keep up in race pace without them. And if you tell me to lower dificulty. Then in every race in Williams i ended up in points with fastest lap time. A bit unrealistic :(

7 minutes ago, CardiaS said:

For me more than 10, but it depend on the track. For example in Monaco i sometimes use flashback once a lap and i play 100% race distance only. I always wanted to use less of but simply can't keep up in race pace without them. And if you tell me to lower dificulty. Then in every race in Williams i ended up in points with fastest lap time. A bit unrealistic 😞

You can change difficulty per race and even per session

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

You can change difficulty per race and even per session

Yes i know that. I just made quali lap in bahrain in and ended up in 19 just in front of my team mate Russel by about 0,3s. In first try without any flashback (1 shot quali). AI on 100% difuculty. Then on over 50 lap long race when i lower dificulty i can't push my car to maximum of my abbility just not to outperofrmance my ride. Last race in Australia i ended up in 15 position due to 2 retirement of AI barelly beat Haas by undercut and defending position. Check my flashabck count to this point in carrer it said i used 25 🙂

I normally "suck it up" and live with any error I make, but if something happens on Lap 1 and I'm in a bad mood I'll just restart the session, once time only 🙂 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

1-5

it depends, on training sessions I use it sometimes when I get used to the track. Or in qualy when I messed up totally (I would not do it if the AI would also do mistakes, but they always have the perfect lap)

In the race I try to avoid it, but due to little kids where you have to pause the game and it brings you out of the rhythm then I use it sometimes, normally the point of usage is when something from the real world cuts my concentration ;) but it does not happen often as I play normally very late in the day.

Edited by svensenk86
correction

I never use flashbacks during the race because if you play online you will not have this opportunity and I think this is more realistic.

Unfortunately, during practice and qualifying sessions I’m almost obliged to use one from time to time because of the AI managing their in and out lap. I know this is AI and you cannot ask them to think but they really are driving like chicken without heads (catching you on their out lap, overtaking then blocking you, ...). Sometimes you receive unfair 5 places penalties when playing with them.

There was an option in previous years (some time ago) that limits the number of flashbacks to use.

Could maybe be reintroduced when you select Elite assist (1,2 or 3 flashbacks for a weekend).

• Agree 1

I try and avoid it but in a race maybe 2 or 3 if i feel ai bullshittery is involved like when they suddenly stop mid corner.

I dont use them if i run off track anymore tho.

I never use it. If I make a mistake you got a take it on the chin like you would in real life. Your driving style can change as you can take huge risk and just use a flashback if it goes wrong. 

• Agree 4

I do 100% races i use to have it on but have turned it off now i don't like the feeling of altering a race or qualifying. The result doesnt feel justified 

With 50% races I usually have more than 10 but it depends on the circuit, of course. So it can vary from around 10 to quite a bit more.

more than 5 in 5 laps race.:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Dunky1980 said:

I never use it. If I make a mistake you got a take it on the chin like you would in real life. Your driving style can change as you can take huge risk and just use a flashback if it goes wrong. 

Problem is you are the only one in the grid who is doing mistakes as the AI does not fail,so it is fair to use flashbacks

• Disagree 2

Posted (edited)

Having a young daughter means I don't get the run of uninterrupted free time needed to focus completely on the race, so I consider flashbacks to a wonderful invention. 

When I was younger and would take the games far more seriously I would be shocked by such a ridiculous assist! :classic_laugh: but now they are very much appreciated, just want to hit the track and have a competitive race, if something totally out of the picture means I shove it into the wall on lap 1, after doing practice and qualy etc. then I'm using it, otherwise I've wasted all the time. 

I try to judge on the merits of that moment, obviously having some soft toy chucked at me or being jumped on directly will bring a flashback (but not a safety car thankfully) 

And if I do something stupid just as I'm not concentrating as I'd like, then usually I'll flash it back. 

As others have mentioned, AI stupidity I feel is justified but again need to weight it up in the moment. 

All in all, it's a proceless feature, you use really at your own discretion and demands for what is considered 'realistic'. 

I'd never use cos I went wide, lost it on Eu Rouge (though god knows I'd like to) made the wrong move and clipped an AI car, I have to live with those as I class them as part of the race. 

My daughter I wouldn't, her impacts are not racing incidents, more acts of God :classic_laugh:

Edited by KNT2011
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

The only time I use it, is when I am side by side with an AI and they turn in on me, to the point they actually hit me. I even had an AI force me into the the start of the pit wall on the Zandvoort on only the 3rd lap of a 100% race, which resulted in my front right wheel been ripped off. It litterlly moved from the very left edge of the straight, all the way to the right edge where I was. I should have saved the footage from that one to be honest, the AI can often be as nasty as real players in online racing :classic_blink:

But yeh, those are the only instences when I use flashback.

5 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I normally "suck it up" and live with any error I make, but if something happens on Lap 1 and I'm in a bad mood I'll just restart the session, once time only 🙂 

Yeah, cos the AI never takes you out lol.

I know you have to tow the party line, but come on.

2 hours ago, Dunky1980 said:

Same as above, has the AI never done something so mind-bendingly unpredictable that you know it's a "game programming" thing and not a "random bad luck" thing?

I've had two just today.

1) Qualifying in Belgium I caught an AI driver on an in lap and they moved off the racing line to let me past, then, as I was about to pass at high speed, they decided to swerve half a car width over and completely destroyed both of us.

2) Racing in Shanghai, I ran slightly wide getting onto the back straight and Ocon - who was not racing me for position - decided to stuff it up the inside and completely run me off the track, taking both our front wing end plates off, and would have ruined my race. On replay it was obviously super clumsy and pretty unrealistic. I would accept it if similar collisions happened between AI drivers, but they never do.

In summary, I primarily use Flashbacks to account for AI stupidity. 

15 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

I know you have to tow the party line, but come on.

Same as above, has the AI never done something so mind-bendingly unpredictable that you know it's a "game programming" thing and not a "random bad luck" thing?

I've had two just today.

1) Qualifying in Belgium I caught an AI driver on an in lap and they moved off the racing line to let me past, then, as I was about to pass at high speed, they decided to swerve half a car width over and completely destroyed both of us.

2) Racing in Shanghai, I ran slightly wide getting onto the back straight and Ocon - who was not racing me for position - decided to stuff it up the inside and completely run me off the track, taking both our front wing end plates off, and would have ruined my race. On replay it was obviously super clumsy and pretty unrealistic. I would accept it if similar collisions happened between AI drivers, but they never do.

In summary, I primarily use Flashbacks to account for AI stupidity. 

1). Must've been Grosjean :classic_ninja:

2) Ocon-Verstappen in Brazil

Stupid but not completely unrealistic.

I've disabled flashbacks altogether. I used to have them on during practice sessions, but gave that up as well. I just don't get any rush from driving on the limit if I can press a button and pretend a mistake never happened. There's no tension in overtaking either. I go as immersive as I can - no assists, no flashbacks (an assist really), cockpit cam, 50% distance. Will start a Pro Career once I can keep up with the 110 AI on more than just a few tracks.

Two years ago I still used flashbacks a lot if driving Career. My main use for them was cancelling penalties for running wide on the exit kerbs. I can just say that I'm enjoying the driving so much more with the entire option disabled.

30 minutes ago, janbonator said:

I'm enjoying the driving so much more with the entire option disabled.

I totally agree with you during the qualifications or races but in practice I don’t know how to manage the AI when you are in my in or out lap. You let them overtake and when you slow down they play with you slowing down too. You have no choice than overtaking them again and then they race (in practice session). The worst (and this is because I use flashback only then) is when you receive a 5 places grid penalty.

I don’t know how to manage that (except going to the garage straight away by the menu). I want to make my in lap to preserve my tires.

2 minutes ago, RS Phil said:

I totally agree with you during the qualifications or races but in practice I don’t know how to manage the AI when you are in my in or out lap. You let them overtake and when you slow down they play with you slowing down too. You have no choice than overtaking them again and then they race (in practice session). The worst (and this is because I use flashback only then) is when you receive a 5 places grid penalty.

I don’t know how to manage that (except going to the garage straight away by the menu). I want to make my in lap to preserve my tires.

Yeah, that is super annoying! What I do to those pesky f****s if they just won't pass me is I slam the brakes and they'll be off to look for a new wing and better manners. :classic_biggrin:

51 minutes ago, RS Phil said:

It can be tedious, absolutely. Out lap a little less so as you can back off when you come out the pits, let the car ahead get some space, and follow around slower, it's not perfect but can be managed. 

But when you get one on track with you... 

Dear lord. 

I've noticed that it's about proximity to the player. But the AI is not understanding what is going on. The trick, at least most of the time works for me, is when you are both close full speed, pull off line quick and slam the brakes. You will stop and AI will have gone far enough ahead to be out of your 'zone' so it will slow down, and then realise noone is around, and speed up and go on its merry way. 

In F12017-2019 0 (ZERO) Flashbacks, but I tired so many DNFs and fired from team, so now I use at least 5 FBs monaco probably I will use more haha.

6 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

I've had 2 DNFs from AI incidents. One on the last lap of Austria, my first potential points 😞 

Like I said, I suck it up and live with it.

30 minutes ago, CarloLewis said:

None. 'Restart session' however... 😂

I see you're man of prized race starts as well 🍾🍹

• Agree 1