F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

The state of multiplayer

We're more than a month in now, most leagues have given you a lot of time to get the game in a streamable state before all hell breaks loose on track again, but I think it's safe to conclude that as it stands, what we got is a huge step back from what we had in f1 2019, as far as that is possible. In 8 days the league I organize myself kicks off as well, and I'm praying we get a very substantial patch before then. 

Not only are there countless glitches on the driving side, which have been discussed in a lot of topics already,
but from a commentators/information perspective things are really, really bad: 

- Delta's are all over the place, glitch around near the sector points, are totally unreliable. 
- Above leads to 1 commentator seeing a person get drs and the other one doesn't. And it isn't a far stretch to think that you get messed up like that equally while driving. 
- Lap 2 for spectators always sees the DRS enabled prompt, as well as the entire standings and delta's being scrambled. How did this get passed testing? 
- Information on tires is SUPER unreliable. laps don't update, wrong compounds are displayed, and people end with 48 laps on their tires after pitting on lap 9 in a 22 lap race.  (they did 13 laps. we just get lied to)
- The host has a huge advantage at the start. This can be omitted by having one of the streamers be the host but can cause problems for some leagues. 
- Race director tire info is wrong too, making it useless to see after the fact what exactly happened.
- You have allowed us to use hotkeys to switch between drivers (thank you!) but the first press of shift opens the steam overlay which is unfortunate hotkey choice. (And now we can't turn of said overlay cause we can't invite people to lobbies anymore) 
- Sometimes using said hotkeys for drivers in p10+ (E.G: p12) will after releasing the keys switch back to the non-shift-number instead (E.G. p2) and multiple tries might be required. 
- There can still be a very sizable delay in the start lights going off and everybody actually getting away, even when the streamer is the host. 
THERE ARE STILL NO PENALTIES VISIBLE FOR SPECTATORS AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET TO IT. THEY DECIDE ALMOST EVERY RACE.  

These are just spectator/commentator things.
Some are just annoyances (having to try a bit too hard to use the hotkeys) 
Some are absolutely unacceptable (this lap 2 standings, drs enabled, and delta chaos.. as well as the tire info being so wrong) and are just a show of real incompetence and misplaced priorities. 

I can remember vividly how @BarryBL said how Multiplayer was a big priority this time around and they would try to make it something worth wearing the proud F1 brand, 
But so far improvements are few and far between and other issues got worsened or even introduced. 

Here's to me hoping you are working very, very hard on these issues. Multiplayer is a joke as it stands and you must be aware this can't go on like this. If you weren't, at least by this writing I hope to make you aware.

The driving is a lot of fun in F1 2020. A huge step forward. But the game is let down TREMENDOUSLY by lack of polish and refinement. F1 2020 just has all the markings of a rushed game, that didn't get properly tested, The beta wasn't even completed by the time the game released, and it didn't have a lot of the issues that we are experiencing now. And don't ever come with the excuse how hard it is to make a game every year because that is YOUR choice. either hire more (competent) people or just have the core game FIXED and release dlc's every year.  The way it's going now we get an unsatisfying mess of a game year in year out. Every one buggier than the last. F1 2020 has already crashed more times than ALL the other games I've ever played on my pc combined, bar f1 2019. Yet you keep adding new stuff (that barely works on its own) all while streamers can't commentate a race without apologizing for the nonsense they and the viewers see on-screen half (if not more) of the time.

So as ever, I hope we can get an update on how it stands with regard to these issues. Are they getting fixed? Will we be seeing a patch in the next 8 days?
are we gonna have to start thinking of ways to work around these issues where possible?

Many thanks already for the response. 

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

@Bicarda That's all a bit disturbing. 😥

I'm about to participate in this league, haven't competed in an F1 league for a few years, when running it was both easier in some respects and way more difficult in others. If you had some tips for our host @TMACTM what would they be?

Edited by JesseDeya

1 minute ago, JesseDeya said:

@Bicarda That's all a bit disturbing. 😥

I'm about to participate in this league, haven't competed in an F1 league for a few years, when running it was both easier in some respects and way more difficult in others. If you had some tips for our host @TMACTM what would they be?

Well first off let the commentator host. Cause the host will get a huge advantage at the start (that is obvs very difficult to anticipate on)

For the rest it's just... KNOWING when the game displays wrong info and that it often does. 
Like after the first lap the game will switch to L3, saying DRS enabled (when it isn't yet) and all the standings will be scrambled for a lap, no idea what's going on. 

A way around this is to get telemetry from someone in the race. (Via 3rd party software) to your second screen or something.
Then at least you have the proper information (gaps, positions on lap 2, tires) at your disposal. 

But I agree. It's all very disturbing indeed.

14 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

Is most of this only affecting spectators?

Yes. 

There's a lot of bugs that affect drivers. Mainly concerning:
-safety cars
-penalties for contact/illegal overtakes
-screenfreezes (e.g. when someone joins the lobby.. when the host retires..)
-Desynced session times (It happens that you start your final hotlap in quali, while people in front of you already crossed the line with the quali being 'done' and so they are ai'ing in front of you)
-Cars throttle getting controlled on s.c. restarts.. (e.g. you press it, nothing happens, then suddenly it gets released and  you spin into the wall) 
-Situations where someone ghosts for someone else but still gets hit as the other drives 'through' him
-game changing tire strats at its own leisure
-Desync in the timings after forced reconnect.

And that's just a few...

This post was just mainly about the things that make the game a joke to stream for commentators. Things that are gonna be very noticeable in F1 e-sports when that starts again. 
Not in the least because for most other things there are already posts.

In a game that's all about times, split seconds decisions and data in general, it's just ridiculous how bad it is and how they screwed it up so much. 

And as big as a promotion for your game as twitch can be these games, and this game being especially suited to have the races steamed and commentated... it's just so sad that what people will see now is wrong data and commentators apologizing for the game they're streaming. Mario kart on the snes had more polish than this. 

7 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

-Desynced session times (It happens that you start your final hotlap in quali, while people in front of you already crossed the line with the quali being 'done' and so they are ai'ing in front of you)

That one seems like a game breaker. Would you recommend no one setting a time after the timer expires, even if they are on a hotlap?

1 minute ago, JesseDeya said:

That one seems like a game breaker. Would you recommend no one setting a time after the timer expires, even if they are on a hotlap?

https://clips.twitch.tv/GeniusMistyDogePeteZarollTie

Here's an example. It can be very game-breaking indeed. 
In the last game, it would happen that the SPECTATORS thought the session was already over but for the drivers it wasn't yet, 
But this time around it can differ between drivers too. (probably people being tapped out at the start of the session/taking longer to load etc.. but not sure) 

Personally I think you should just be able to trust your game and don't think about glitches while doing quali... just be aware that it can happen.. For the sake of not getting in fights with people who did nothing wrong 😛 but also so you can be that bit more prepared when approaching ai cars. (As you can see in the video above..  if it happens at the wrong point you're helpless) 

But for this reason, it's indeed advisable to get your final hot lap in early.. Like.. END it just after the time went to 0.. instead of start it just before 🙂 it's that minute and a half where the carnage happens

Note that this particular bug is super random, in that it doesn't always happen, and even if it does it doesn't always generate issues.. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

This post was just mainly about the things that make the game a joke to stream for commentators. Things that are gonna be very noticeable in F1 e-sports when that starts again. 
Not in the least because for most other things there are already posts.

In a game that's all about times, split seconds decisions and data in general, it's just ridiculous how bad it is and how they screwed it up so much.

I was worried this could happen once it was revealed they would be putting in effort and resources for the e-sports series broadcast. Looks like they've been polishing the game for 20 drivers and the rest of us are left with a wet rag on our face.