F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Hard tyres for qualifying

Max Verstappen used hard tyres in Q2 of the 70th Anniversary GP

Can we also use hard tyres for qualifying in the game? It seems that we can only use soft or medium tyres for qualifying in the game.

I don't understand why it was removed, although I don't think one would get much of an advantage on any track in the game by starting on hards. With 100% it might be different, but on 50% every race is a one-stopper and most of them don't even need the hard compound, even if the game doesn't allow you to swap them for mediums on the pre-race strategy screen.

You're probably almost never going to make it through on hard tyres. And Verstappen only managed to do it because the hard tyre was practically the medium one because the soft tyres were falling apart before they could complete a lap. But I guess having the option would be fine.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, alnchn said:

Max Verstappen used hard tyres in Q2 of the 70th Anniversary GP

True, but that "Hard" tire was the exact same tire that was called "Medium" one week prior at the British GP.  Pirelli has a range of 5 compounds for F1, C1=hardest, C5=softest.  They choose 3 compounds out of that range to represent Hard, Medium, Soft.  In prior years they used 5 compounds but had SuperSoft and even UltraSoft so that each compound had it's own fixed name.  For 2019 and 2020, they decided 5 names (and colours) was too complicated, and changed the system to use the same names Hard, Medium, Soft, even if the actual compound was not the same from race to race.

For British GP, they used C1="Hard", C2="Medium", C3="Soft".  For 70th Anniversary GP, they used C2="Hard", C3="Medium", C4="Soft" - they shifted the range by one compound.

For Codemasters F1 2020, there's no need to use 5 compounds to simulate the actual Pirelli process - 3 fixed compounds for Hard, Medium, Soft being the same every race is good enough!

Cheers, Gordon

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Flash42G said:

there's no need to use 5 compounds to simulate the actual Pirelli process

They do actually. Look at your garage and you will see each 3 colors corresponding to Cx Pirelli choice.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Flash42G said:

For British GP, they used C1="Hard", C2="Medium", C3="Soft".  For 70th Anniversary GP, they used C2="Hard", C3="Medium", C4="Soft" - they shifted the range by one compound.

I hadn't been paying enough attention last weekend to realise that they's done this. Thanks for spelling it out.

I still wish they'd kept the old set of fixed names for the tyres to avoid such confusion.

Edited by Ultra3142