Jump to content

Formation lap on or off?

Formation lap on or off?  

67 members have voted

  1. 1. Formation lap on or off?



Recommended Posts

On 8/15/2020 at 1:10 AM, Flash42G said:

I've been watching this on formation laps - 2/3 of the way through, go to instant replay, freeze it, then change to cockpit view and cycle through the grid.  You can see each car's tire temps at that point (as well as their fuel loads).  If the formation lap is slow the AI cars will have tire temps around 72C, and with weaving, braking, accelerating, gas/brake at the same time, I can have tire temps 10C warmer - a significant grip advantage off the start line!

I don't think it really matters what the temps show for the AI. David Greco said the AI cars always behave as if having optimum temperatures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you skip the formation lap when you are in the race, it will give you cold tyres. In My Team, I have the formation lap on, and everytime I start the race, my tyre temperatures are below 65 degrees. Now, skip the formation lap, and at the start, you will probably be swarmed by the ai. Safety cars can literally drop your tyre temperatures to less than 80 degrees, which is why I normally stay a bit far from the car ahead to keep tyre temperatures at least around 80 degrees. I just had a My Team race in Austria, and it was extremely hard to keep up tyre temperatures on the hard tyre during a safety car period of 2 laps. The fact that the limiter is active, as it can ruin the restart makes it even more important to have tyre temperatures in the green... 

Edited by Krisperfectline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, janbonator said:

I don't think it really matters what the temps show for the AI. David Greco said the AI cars always behave as if having optimum temperatures.

It might be my imagination that it's due to the tire temps - but if I do the warmup lap and have my tire temps around 5C or more warmer than the AI cars, I can beat them off the start and make up a place or two on acceleration to the first corner.  I wouldn't claim that I'm exceptional at starts (I'm playing in the AI 95-100 range), but I'm doing better starts since I started focusing on better tire warmup.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 9:18 AM, marioho said:

Totally! I always go with formation lap on.

Hey, i did start the game yesterday again without saving the changes the day before and now i do see Formation Lap not grey out, so i can put it now as On or Off! Happy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Flash42G said:

It might be my imagination that it's due to the tire temps - but if I do the warmup lap and have my tire temps around 5C or more warmer than the AI cars, I can beat them off the start and make up a place or two on acceleration to the first corner.  I wouldn't claim that I'm exceptional at starts (I'm playing in the AI 95-100 range), but I'm doing better starts since I started focusing on better tire warmup.

You get a better start if you get your tyres to optimum temps, of course, but it doesn't affect the starts of the AI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 7:43 AM, Ultra3142 said:

I don't think this is true based on my example above. Or at least not for all tracks.

It's happend to me . Couldent be bothers doing the formation lap so skipped it half way round track tyre temp at front was 72 and when skipped done the start got of line went straight to temps and my front tyres were 72 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, PaulLynch said:

It's happend to me . Couldent be bothers doing the formation lap so skipped it half way round track tyre temp at front was 72 and when skipped done the start got of line went straight to temps and my front tyres were 72 

Skipping part way round could be different, possibly locking in temps to where they were when you skipped? Just a thought. As I said, this could also be track dependent.

Whatever, I think I've shown skipping the formation lap is a bad idea and I'd just advise everyone not to :classic_smile:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 10:00 AM, Ultra3142 said:

Skipping part way round could be different, possibly locking in temps to where they were when you skipped? Just a thought. As I said, this could also be track dependent.

Whatever, I think I've shown skipping the formation lap is a bad idea and I'd just advise everyone not to :classic_smile:.

Skipped the formation lap again in Belgium last night mainly cause didn't have time to play threw everything . It was raining with inters on and tyres were stone cold at start 45 c I think . I generally like to do the formation lap . It's just having the time to do a full weekend 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PaulLynch said:

Skipped the formation lap again in Belgium last night mainly cause didn't have time to play threw everything . It was raining with inters on and tyres were stone cold at start 45 c I think . I generally like to do the formation lap . It's just having the time to do a full weekend 

I think you should try turning the out lap option off if you can and then see if you start off with warmer tyres. The point of my last post was that you may well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×