F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Formation lap on or off?

Formation lap on or off?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Formation lap on or off?

I think I remember reading that the AI cause more tyre wear on formation laps than if the player does it?

I voted 'On' but obviously only for longer races.

i voted on gets me ready setting up the car ect and is just a bit of fun and good practice to remember or check how the car handles if i will need to change anything in the pits or ask for any info before the chaos ensues on lap 1

In previous games I think you would not be starting the race on ideal tyre temps if you turned formation lap off, I think. At least I heard it being this way. Can't say for sure as I always played with it on.

And I like it this way. You know how drivers will actually pedal or walk through the whole circuit with their teams? There's something about going slow over the track that improves your understanding of its flow or that at least makes you think so.

I also enjoy the parade.

31 minutes ago, marioho said:

In previous games I think you would not be starting the race on ideal tyre temps if you turned formation lap off, I think. At least I heard it being this way. Can't say for sure as I always played with it on.

I've been watching this on formation laps - 2/3 of the way through, go to instant replay, freeze it, then change to cockpit view and cycle through the grid.  You can see each car's tire temps at that point (as well as their fuel loads).  If the formation lap is slow the AI cars will have tire temps around 72C, and with weaving, braking, accelerating, gas/brake at the same time, I can have tire temps 10C warmer - a significant grip advantage off the start line!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did not know that but doesn't surprise me, @Flash42G. The lack of weaving on the AI's part is a bug, though, and is in line to be fixed soon.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Flash42G said:

I've been watching this on formation laps - 2/3 of the way through, go to instant replay, freeze it, then change to cockpit view and cycle through the grid.  You can see each car's tire temps at that point (as well as their fuel loads).  If the formation lap is slow the AI cars will have tire temps around 72C, and with weaving, braking, accelerating, gas/brake at the same time, I can have tire temps 10C warmer - a significant grip advantage off the start line!

Of course what matters is not 2/3 the way round but at the start line, at which point all may be fine?

I did a quick spot-check by looking at starting tyre temps for a 3 lap race at Silverstone without formation lap and all tyres were green but I didn't have time to take in what the actual temperatures were.

Edited by Ultra3142

I've paused at the green lights to check as well after driving the formation lap (use cockpit view to check, it shows the actual temperature on the steering wheel display), and the temperature advantage is the same.  I haven't tried checking the comparative tire temps with formation lap off...

I know if you skip the formation lap with it turned on you start on cold tyres. 

3 hours ago, johnboy83 said:

I know if you skip the formation lap with it turned on you start on cold tyres. 

I don't think this is true based on my example above. Or at least not for all tracks.

10 hours ago, marioho said:

And I like it this way. You know how drivers will actually pedal or walk through the whole circuit with their teams? There's something about going slow over the track that improves your understanding of its flow or that at least makes you think so.

I also enjoy the parade.

In theory I quite like the formation lap and safety car situations but what takes the edge off it for me a little is the AI tend to drive around like its a field of Grosjeans smacking into you at every opportunity which is a shame. 

Other than that its quite good.

I thought I'd have a proper look at the race start conditions at Silverstone without the formation lap. As the photo below shows it's actually brake temperatures that look like a good reason to do the formation lap:

344884501_Tyreswithoutformationlap_small.jpg.6deddc21e47a53c3dcae9b952afd2929.jpg

(This is a photo taken before moving off from the start line.)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I thought I'd have a proper look at the race start conditions at Silverstone without the formation lap. As the photo below shows it's actually brake temperatures that look like a good reason to do the formation lap:

344884501_Tyreswithoutformationlap_small.jpg.6deddc21e47a53c3dcae9b952afd2929.jpg

Formation lap is not totally necessery for good start?

Edited by mahmutcan0163

13 minutes ago, mahmutcan0163 said:

Formation lap is not totally necessery for good start?

I think that's somewhat moot since I'd like my brakes to be working optimally for turn one, but the rear tyres are a little cold as well.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I don't think this is true based on my example above. Or at least not for all tracks.

I’m not talking about just having the formation lap off, I’m talking about having it switched on, but then skipping it and not completing it. I always turn Formation lap on, as I think it adds to the experience but when It comes to it, i can’t really be bothered and want to get into the race, so I would just skip them rather than complete them. Every time I did, my tyres were always blue for the race start. So I started making sure I did the formation laps, and now my tire temps Are set for the race start at the temp they are when I finish the formation lap. 

Just speaking from my own personal experiences. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, johnboy83 said:

I always turn Formation lap on, as I think it adds to the experience but when It comes to iti can’t really be bothered and want to get into the race, so I would just skip them rather than complete them.

I hadn't thought of anyone doing that 🙂.

Edited by Ultra3142

Posted (edited)

question, i did start a shortcut F2 career but that is done now (2nd place on AI 90),

But now i get the option to start a 22 career races in F1, but going to the options, i use the Standard mode (not Casual), it looks like i cannot put Formation Lap as "On" even with a 50% race?

How come i cannot put Formation Lap as "On" in Career? 

I am on Ps4.

20200819_000359.jpg

Edited by GioProductions
Text

GPs take place on weekends, when you leave your main game view and go to the weekend session. I don't remember what it is called but I mean that one where you sit across your teammate on the track and have access to your workstation, practice sessions and so on, you can't change your weekend structure.

Just complete the GP and try again once you get back to the main session with calendar tab, finances etc. 

7 hours ago, marioho said:

GPs take place on weekends, when you leave your main game view and go to the weekend session. I don't remember what it is called but I mean that one where you sit across your teammate on the track and have access to your workstation, practice sessions and so on, you can't change your weekend structure.

Just complete the GP and try again once you get back to the main session with calendar tab, finances etc. 

But it is possible you mean, to have Formation Lap on the normal career mode? Ok, i will give it a try tonight. I remember last year game i could do Formation Lap in my career, that is why i wanted to know. Thanks for your help 👍

4 minutes ago, GioProductions said:

But it is possible you mean, to have Formation Lap on the normal career mode? Ok, i will give it a try tonight. I remember last year game i could do Formation Lap in my career, that is why i wanted to know. Thanks for your help 👍

Totally! I always go with formation lap on.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2020 at 2:21 AM, Ultra3142 said:

Yeah, that's a disaster waiting to happen!

What tyres are those? Unless they are hards I would think those temps are at least 4-6 degrees less than optimal.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, 75Vette said:

What tyres are those? Unless they are hards I would think those temps are at least 4-6 degrees less than optimal.

Probably softs, as I think it was only a 5 lap race.

Edit: David Greco has posted to say optimal temps are 85-100 for all compounds. I'm not sure where carcass vs core sits with that though.

Edited by Ultra3142

13 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Probably softs, as I think it was only a 5 lap race.

Edit: David Greco has posted to say optimal temps are 85-100 for all compounds. I'm not sure where carcass vs core sits with that though.

Carcass temp is more important because more stable. Surface temp is less versatile.