F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

AI Damage Setting, Can We Clarify?

So for a long time I've played on Simulation damage as I like damage in any racing game to be as realistic as possible, but recently on this forum someone was mentioning how the AI in F1 games isn't on Simulation damage, they're on full, and this has put a real worm in my mind lol, about this. 

I have noticed on occasion, as I'm sure many have, that the AI will take a hit but not seemingly suffer the same damage the player might, but I always assumed this was either luck or the angle of impact etc. but now I'm thinking this is perhaps because of the above?

Are we able to clarify this at all? Because I don't want to be running a different damage simulation to the AI, especially if it's not going to affect AI crashes, mistakes, safety car deployment etc. 

IF it's just me on Sim, and AI on full, then I'll go down to full as otherwise it's just unfair on myself. 

That’s what I did because I think AI is in full damage not simulation.

I changed from sim damage to full damage in this game. A much better experience I will have to say. It allows you to race the AI more and not lose bits of your front wing when they hit your sidepod.

• Agree 1

How do you know that? I Think the same but a Statement from codemasters would be great. 

By the way: except of the Chance of getting damage, whats the difference between Simulation and full damage? Does it also affect tires etc?

Just watch some replays especially after race start,there you see sometimes AI colliding a bit,with simulation you would have small parts coming off,AI does not have that. But an official statement is still missing,it was missing for 2019 as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

By the way: except of the Chance of getting damage, whats the difference between Simulation and full damage? Does it also affect tires etc?

I believe tyres are more likely to get punctured by running over debri when using simulation damage.

1 minute ago, Ultra3142 said:

I believe tyres are more likely to get punctured by running over debri when using simulation damage.

I can't say I've ever seen a punctured tire using Sim damage, I only know of this existing when tires are pushed 'too far' which I rarely, if ever do. 

You have seen this in game yourself? If so that is very interesting! 

8 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

Just watch some replays especially after race start,there you see sometimes AI colliding a bit,with simulation you would have small parts coming off,AI does not have that. But an official statement is still missing,it was missing for 2019 as well.

It's irritating because I would like to be on the same level as the AI when it comes to the race affecting them. 

I read (on these forums) someone saying that setting the damage to Sim caused more AI incidents in race (as the cars are damaged from contact etc.) and obviously, we all want more race incidents from the AI battling with each other, so then it reminded me of the user stating AI only uses full and never Sim. 

So now it is confusing, is any of this true, or is it all old wives tales haha. 

We need CM statement on this!

6 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

I can't say I've ever seen a punctured tire using Sim damage, I only know of this existing when tires are pushed 'too far' which I rarely, if ever do. 

I've seen in it YouTube videos. I've not driven with Simulation damage myself.

Just now, Ultra3142 said:

I've seen in it YouTube videos. I've not driven with Simulation damage myself.

I will have a look for this, thanks! 

This kind of thing would be great.....

if it also affects the AI :classic_laugh:

Considering how happy the AI is to crash into you and each other it's probably a good thing they take a little bit less damage.

33 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

I will have a look for this, thanks! 

Just had a hunt myself but I can't quickly find an F1 2020 example. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in a video that wasn't running an extreme damage mod but you've got me doubting myself now... 

48 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

In 2018 I had a puncuture when i drove over some parts which have been on the track,that was my last one 😅

If in 2020 the AI has simulated damage as well when you switch it on I am going right back to it

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, svensenk86 said:

In 2018 I had a puncuture when i drove over some parts which have been on the track,that was my last one 😅

If in 2020 the AI has simulated damage as well when you switch it on I am going right back to it

How do you know that? I have that Feeling that the most here tell sth. Like it is a fact, but its just a thought / an opinion / personal expierence.

By the way:

I have made the expierence in f1 2019 that you can get punctures with worn tires on full damage too. You dont need to have Simulation damage.

Edited by DonBlanko

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, DonBlanko said:

I have that Feeling that the most here tell sth. Like it is a fact, but its just a thought / an opinion / personal expierence.

As far as I can see nobody in this thread has said anything other than that the AI are likely on Full Damage?

Edited by Ultra3142

Don’t think I’ve have a picture since 2011! Always run simulation damage. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

As far as I can see nobody in this thread has said anything other than that the AI are likely on Full Damage?

You are totally right. It is my mistake. I read my quoted Post from svensenk86 in a wrong way. I just overflow the Last sentence from him and understood it that the ai has Simulation damage. So sorry for my mistake 🙂

I think so too that ai seems to have full damage. But nevertheless it would be great if codemasters could comment this topic. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

Yep, it happens. 

Left rear puncture at Hanoi (on reduced damage setting) : F1Game

Not mine, though.

Edit: A video from reddit too.

Another edit because why not: how often we see punctures on any given race? I have no idea but for the argument sake lets say 2 punctures for each race, being the majority of other tyre issues just that, other tyre issues.

Now there are 20 drivers on the track... In theory, at least. How often will a specific driver have a puncture? Doing a quick mental math here I arrive at the number of "not often".

Edited by marioho
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, marioho said:

Yep, it happens. 

Left rear puncture at Hanoi (on reduced damage setting) : F1Game

Not mine, though.

Edit: A video from reddit too.

Another edit because why not: how often we see punctures on any given race? I have no idea but for the argument sake lets say 2 punctures for each race, being the majority of other tyre issues just that, other tyre issues.

Now there are 20 drivers on the track... In theory, at least. How often will a specific driver have a puncture? Doing a quick mental math here I arrive at the number of "not often".

The issue would be here though that the AI doesn't get punctures?

So even if the players gets a puncture, every, I don't know, 3 editions of the game, that's still something that will only impact the player, never the AI. 

I doubt that the AI will be using either damage mode. Instead, most likely every damage model has a setting for the AI's damage model, which would be less sensitive in order to combat the fact that AI drivers... are a bit stupid at times 😛 

Sorry, you lost me there or I'm too tired to read correctly haha

What do you mean with "the issue would be here"?

I don't know if the AI doesn't get punctures. Would be off if they don't, indeed. Rubbing against the wall or a fellow driver and running over debris are events prone to happen to the AI too and they all have a chance baked in of resulting in a puncture. 

3 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I doubt that the AI will be using either damage mode. Instead, most likely every damage model has a setting for the AI's damage model, which would be less sensitive in order to combat the fact that AI drivers... are a bit stupid at times 😛 

Appreciate your input mate. 

So in your opinion what is the best setting for the player to choose to have the closest to a level playing field as possible with the AI?

Just now, KNT2011 said:

Appreciate your input mate. 

So in your opinion what is the best setting for the player to choose to have the closest to a level playing field as possible with the AI?

I'd guess no damage at all, if my theory of each setting having its own AI setting is correct.

I think at least earlier games (around 2013) have had something like this. As in, player has multiplier 1.0, while AI has 0.8 for example. Something tiny that tries to make more AIs finish the race. Those older games did have multipliers for 'AI colliding into player' and 'Player colliding into AI' which were probably quite the same...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I was being thick yesterday when I couldn't find somewhere showing tyres bursting from running over debri on Simulation Damage. The video below does this, the first after 54 seconds but I'm pretty sure there are other times it happens too. I was thinking this was with an extreme damage mod but looking again I don't think it is. 

For contrast/amusement here is an example with an extreme damage mod:

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1