F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Traction vs No Traction - which is faster?

3 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

The reasoning I posted went beyond time trial :classic_smile:. Although for those who have spent a long time getting good TT times a reset of the leaderboards is not something that is likely to be taken lightly. And they would NEED to be reset as far as I'm concerned as the times currently on there would no longer be able to be replicated with identical settings and user performance.

Top 100 times achieved with assist on are peculiar, no? If I had a legitimate time on TT on #1000+, I'm not sure I would care about TT tables being reset.

And I don't see why they couldn't reset only times made with assist on.

Better yet, assuming the balance is right with the assists, I don't see why the fix couldn't encompass a simple redistribution and increase of the "assist penalty" to the TT score.

All that to say that I have yet to be convinced that the current state of TT leaderboards could possibly hold CM hostage regarding fixing any aspect of gameplay.

And the fact that leaderboards on a league matter only until you start a new season within it. And that online still go much beyond TT.

Edited by marioho

59 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Have you compared medium to no TC on F1 2020 though?

(I'm using medium myself at the moment. Trying to decide whether to switch this or ABS off next.)

I recommend turning both off. They are different enough that you can learn both at the same time.

But I also feel that no traction control is faster. I always feel like accelaration is a bit sluggish with traction control. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marioho said:

And I don't see why they couldn't reset only times made with assist on.

That depends if the change is to make no assists faster or with assists slower. The latter for me has the huge issue that Codemasters would be releasing a patch to make most players slower which at minimum I'd say would be a PR risk.

I’m playing MyTeam with TC on medium, and then having a go on Time Trial mode with TC off altogether when I don’t have time for a full race weekend.

For the first time the other day I managed a few consecutive laps of Hungary without spinning with TC off. However I was still faster with TC on medium as I was being a bit too careful and trying my best not to spin, so was a bit more cautious on the throttle.

One thing I can’t quite work out is my preferred throttle linearity, I’d like my pedal to only apply 100% power when I have it pushed flat but it goes to 100% when I’m about 2/3 of the way down, which makes it more difficult to judge. I guess it’s just practice practice practice.

17 minutes ago, Mintona said:

One thing I can’t quite work out is my preferred throttle linearity, I’d like my pedal to only apply 100% power when I have it pushed flat but it goes to 100% when I’m about 2/3 of the way down, which makes it more difficult to judge.

Saturation being too high would cause that but linearity shouldn't?

5 hours ago, BarryBL said:

I have, briefly to the same result. If I can hook a lap up, its a big improvement for me, about the 0.6 to 0.8 range for me. 

I guess, from a drivers perspective, its risk vs reward. I couldn't yet run a race with TC totally off, especially with the lack of practice and the 'compromised' office arrangement (I prefer wheel). But its that ultimate pace, then removing assists is better for sure.

It only takes a few laps to get used to no TC. Sure you will s🅱in a few times but that way you will learn when to ease off the throttle and when to accerelate out of a corner. Some kerbs can also make your car spin.

I agree with @BarryBL, you can be faster with TCS off (I even made a video on it 😉). Neither of us are F1 Esports players though so make of it what you will 😄 

That being said, TCS Medium is useful in Multiplayer, you never know when you're going to get a gentle nudge on your rear tyre that sets you off-balance.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Saturation being too high would cause that but linearity shouldn't?

My saturation is on 0 so I’m not sure it’s that. I have played with all of those settings but I can’t work out how to actually make it work as I want.

5 minutes ago, Mintona said:

My saturation is on 0 so I’m not sure it’s that. I have played with all of those settings but I can’t work out how to actually make it work as I want.

It could be a fault with your pedals that means you can't. If your saturation is already on zero I'm not sure there is another in game setting that could help. Others know more about this than be though.

Just to check, I assume you get the problem every time you press the pedal, rather than just the very first time after switching your system on?

1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

It could be a fault with your pedals that means you can't. If your saturation is already on zero I'm not sure there is another in game setting that could help. Others know more about this than be though.

Just to check, I assume you get the problem every time you press the pedal, rather than just the very first time after switching your system on?

Not necessarily. My CSL Elite pedals reach 100% around 1/2 to 2/3 input on the standard codemasters settings making it quite sensitive. The pedals are fine on other sims.

34 minutes ago, SIMRACER123 said:

Not necessarily. My CSL Elite pedals reach 100% around 1/2 to 2/3 input on the standard codemasters settings making it quite sensitive. The pedals are fine on other sims.

Interesting. And no way to adjust this I take it?

2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Yes, it’s every time. After a little research it seems a fairly common problem with CSL Elite pedals, and maybe adjusting the rubber underneath might change things. I’ll have a fiddle with it later on.

1 hour ago, SIMRACER123 said:

I’ve not played any other games since owning them so might be the same I guess. It is a bit frustrating, like you I reach 100% throttle after pushing the pedal around 1/2 or 2/3 down. But I’m not sure it’s on Codemasters, not without tinkering a little first anyway.

1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

Interesting. And no way to adjust this I take it?

I had to alter both the linearity and the saturation together to find the right balance. Altering the linearity on its own which you would assume would be the most logical thing to alter just didn't seem to find the right balance. It was only when i added in some saturation it then felt a bit more what i consider normal.  

It was worse on the 2019 game. What the exact issue is i have no idea.  

On 8/18/2020 at 9:47 AM, SIMRACER123 said:

I’ve managed to turn the rubber stopper under the throttle pedal the other way up and the difference is vast, I now reach 100% almost exactly at the point the pedal stops moving. It’s not quite exact but it’s an awful lot closer. Should help no end with getting used to no TC.

• Like 2