Jump to content Jump to content

Paul Ricard and COTA mess with my head

DarthValke726

It’s the gigantic runoff. For some reason I feel like I can’t stay on the track. I don’t understand why this is because the track it’s self is as wide as any track yet I keep flying off. 

This might be a stupid topic but anyone else encounters this strange little issue?

Edit: Downforce helps but it doesn’t completely solve it 

I like Paul Rcard a lot, it's a very quick and simple layout, reminds me of Silverstone very much in places. I haven't struggled with the runoff except going into the chicane after the first straight where finding the entry can take a bit of doing :classic_laugh:

COTA honestly I wouldn't mind if they dug up the thing and turned it into a salt mine or something. 

Half joking but yeah, and it's not the runoff, it's just a painful lap of driving for me. 

I don't know, I was watching Blancpain at Paul Ricard the other day and the commentators were mentioning that some of the drivers complained of nausea caused by the run off paint strips, maybe it's a tiny bit of that transferred over to the sim version of the track that you're getting? 

12 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

I don't know, I was watching Blancpain at Paul Ricard the other day and the commentators were mentioning that some of the drivers complained of nausea caused by the run off paint strips, maybe it's a tiny bit of that transferred over to the sim version of the track that you're getting? 

If the colored strips are nauseating them I'll suggest this cute little racing movie Tron.

Try Paul Ricard in Heavy Rain.  Good luck even seeing the track  😂  I've never struggled like that in my life.  I dont know what it is, the lighting or something, but you just can't see the damn lines on the track in alot of places, except where all the colors come in.   It's a struggle.

In general, I don't care for the track, it produces borign real racing, but I do really enjoy driving it in the game.  As long as it's dry 

4 hours ago, RS Phil said:

The problem with the Paul Ricard is that you have so much runoff zones painted and with no braking point in the long straight (Ligne droite du Mistral) and so many chicane that it’s very difficult to drive.

Indeed. Combine that with a very wide track, virtually no trees, buldings etc. close to the road, and there's not many reference points left. It's not just driving that is affected. It feels slow, boring and simply not intense.

4 hours ago, RS Phil said:

The problem with the Paul Ricard is that you have so much runoff zones painted and with no braking point in the long straight (Ligne droite du Mistral) and so many chicane that it’s very difficult to drive.

41 minutes ago, janbonator said:

Indeed. Combine that with a very wide track, virtually no trees, buldings etc. close to the road, and there's not many reference points left. It's not just driving that is affected. It feels slow, boring and simply not intense.

Completely disagree, I find the lap to be short, simple and a pleasure to drive, culminating in the fast sweeping right hander that feels great to nail perfectly. 

They are distance markers coming off the long straights so I don't see where you're having issues with this, of course it's fair enough to be finding it difficult, I find Silverstone a real challenge to keep up with AI where most people love the track so it's just how it goes sometimes. 

but Paul Ricard for me at least, is a lot of fun. 

Because grass is like one of the worst possible surfaces to make a run off out safety wise. Gravel is still on the debate, but not grass. Tarmac on the other hand, specially when treated with higher friction material like in Paul Ricard, is the safest.

Now the reason it is the ubiquitous solution for run off areas is that it doesn't carry much of a penalty for drivers offending the track limits. 

17 hours ago, marioho said:

Because grass is like one of the worst possible surfaces to make a run off out safety wise. Gravel is still on the debate, but not grass. Tarmac on the other hand, specially when treated with higher friction material like in Paul Ricard, is the safest.

Now the reason it is the ubiquitous solution for run off areas is that it doesn't carry much of a penalty for drivers offending the track limits. 

I would like to see a combo of small gravel traps (say no wider than 2 or 3 car widths) followed by the run off areas. That way drivers are punished by running wide and losing time over the gravel traps (as well as having to clean their tyres after) but can still easily return to the track via the runoffs without beaching the cars, but also if there was a car failure or incident involving more than one car that you would still have the run off areas to slow cars down quicker.

Just my opinion.

Archived