Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×

Upshift causing twisting moment - spinout

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

I have noticed at times over the past month or so, a twisting moment when upshifting through 2 to 3 or onto 4th. This twisting moment during the shift causes me to lose the rear end of the car and I will end up spinning off the track. I have also noted that the twisting moment points the car inward towards the corner as well. As shown in a video below this can make it exceptionally difficult to short-shift during wet conditions as I will now be twisting the car during the shift. It almost feels like the car tries to rev up during the upshift (like a rev match sync) and that causes wheel spin. Please see the 4 videos below for examples of this upshift spin.

2.       Platform

PC
3.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 

4.       Game-mode? 

Most of my time is in unranked multiplayer or Grand Prix.

5.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

At least 4 examples shown in the video links below.

6.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

I have tried to make sure it's not me with my throttle input and at this time I do not believe I'm over accelerating out of the corners. As you will see, this will twisting moment can be caused while driving straight.

7.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Logitech G29 wheel/pedals

8.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

All videos are to the point and will show several replays and angles of the twisting moment. The 3rd video will show a more clear example where I'm driving particularly straight and the upshift causes the car to twist inward.

Might this not be realistic rather than a bug? The brief transition period between gears will mean there is less control over the rear wheels.

26 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Might this not be realistic rather than a bug? The brief transition period between gears will mean there is less control over the rear wheels.

Might be something to do with redlining it in the lower gears in the wet....🤣

You say you use a G29 @Frontman24, you're using the paddles and not the stick shift? What are your assist settings?

4 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Thought I would post since it seemed like an possible issue but may not be. I’ll leave it for the developers to determine. I believe they adjusted the “extra rotation” during downshifts from previous games and noticed a similar thing happens during the upshift for me. 

Video 3 I think demonstrates it best, just seems very odd that the upshift causes the car to lurch sideways. 

Edited by Frontman24

3 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Might be something to do with redlining it in the lower gears in the wet....🤣

You say you use a G29 @Frontman24, you're using the paddles and not the stick shift? What are your assist settings?

Yeah the wet video I could write off that it might have been me but wanted to show another example. During that video I had the car at 10500RPM and during the upshift the car went up to around 11600 and then came back down once in gear. 

Yeah I use the gear paddles, not using stick shift. 

All assists turned off.

Video 3 demonstrates it best where the upshift causes the car to rotate.

The only place I could really find anyone else mention this was on a reddit post and TRL Limitless mentioned during one of his videos in the BETA. That “extra rotation” that you used to get during downshifts, seems to happen to me on the upshift. 

Edited by Frontman24

Only other variable then is the LGS / GHub.

Maybe if you use an older LGS? The official Logitech software is GHub.

You should make sure older LGS is uninstalled with Geek Uninstaller or maybe check for old USB entries with USBDeView before installing the latest GHub.

1 hour ago, steviejay69 said:

Only other variable then is the LGS / GHub.

Maybe if you use an older LGS? The official Logitech software is GHub.

You should make sure older LGS is uninstalled with Geek Uninstaller or maybe check for old USB entries with USBDeView before installing the latest GHub.

It’s a new G29 and only has had G Hub installed.

At first I wrote it off as I was revving out too early but I truly don’t believe it’s that. Video 3 shows that during the moment it shifts, the car rotates with no change in inputs. That’s why I believe there is some sort of rev match like logic going on (like if one downshifts). I think there is a momentary increase in revs during the shift and that’s causing the rotation. 

Thought I would post it since I’ve seen two other people comment about it but really couldn’t figure it out.

Hopefully a developer can just call me crazy but video 3 really shows something odd is happening.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Frontman24 said:

It’s a new G29 and only has had G Hub installed.

At first I wrote it off as I was revving out too early but I truly don’t believe it’s that. Video 3 shows that during the moment it shifts, the car rotates with no change in inputs. That’s why I believe there is some sort of rev match like logic going on (like if one downshifts). I think there is a momentary increase in revs during the shift and that’s causing the rotation. 

Thought I would post it since I’ve seen two other people comment about it but really couldn’t figure it out.

Hopefully a developer can just call me crazy but video 3 really shows something odd is happening.

The 'Hail Mary' is to delete any in-game custom control schemas. Close the game. Verify the Steam game files. Delete the hardware_settings_config.xml

The new advice would be to set the controls to default mappings in GHub. 

Relaunch the game. Check for correct operation of the default schema before recreating custom schemas.

I'd suggest it may still just be driving technique.  Upshifting at higher revs drops you into a part of the powerband with more torque; the instant shift and change in revs gives you an instant step in torque being delivered to the wheels.  If you watch the track setup guides on YouTube from Tom97 or Jaaames Baldwin etc, you'll often hear them point out where an early upshift is required to avoid wheelspin and resulting car spin. 

Turn 2-3 in China (your test 2) is notorious for wheelspin and needs an early upshift to avoid the torque spike upsetting the car - try 3rd as soon as you apex, then early to 4th before you use full throttle.

Test 1, China at end of straight, also needs early upshift, and wheel must be absolutely straight before you can use full throttle.  In all the videos, you're holding steering angle while increasing throttle (it seems, can only tell for sure on the last one).

Test 4, last corner at Silverstone - have to be really smooth even in the dry if you don't have a lot of downforce.  As someone else pointed out, high revs upshift while cornering in the wet - yeah, you spin.

You can also play with your setup - try lowering your on-throttle differential, nowadays I pretty much leave it at 50% to avoid getting too much rotation on throttle, it lets me get on throttle a bit earlier.  (I'm playing around 95 AI, no assists, Fanatec wheel/pedals)