F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

Preparation for a race

Just wondering,how long do you prepare for a race in your carreer?

I normally do 3-4 practice programs and the qualy. Ok maybe Monaco, Vietnam and the tight tracks i do some more additional laps. The setup is used from the "year" before. Just little adjustments if needed.

So I would guess I have 20 prep laps max before the race.

I must be mad but I prepare a race a lot, viewing videos on Internet and noting gears and braking points from real drivers to compare during practice sessions, full practice since I race 100% (so much more for strategy and tyres). I would say that I’m driving around 20 laps per practice session.

I also spent time with telemetry to compare my laps with different setups, tyres, fuel, ...

I think this aspect is really fun and helps you a lot when the race comes regarding strategy. This is maybe why I don’t find it boring but interesting.

Ok, sometimes you lose all your efforts by making a mistake during the race. You maybe cannot feel the sensation of a real driver in a real F1 but when something like this happens, believe me you certainly feel the same.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

Just wondering,how long do you prepare for a race in your carreer?

I normally do 3-4 practice programs and the qualy. Ok maybe Monaco, Vietnam and the tight tracks i do some more additional laps. The setup is used from the "year" before. Just little adjustments if needed.

So I would guess I have 20 prep laps max before the race.

Simulating pratice,One-Shot qualiyfing.Nothing else.

Posted (edited)

It depends on how long it takes to have my setup going.

I'll get into FP1 and do Track Acclim., Tyre Management and Fuel management programmes on my hard set. I'll be doing setup adjustments in-between if need be. Then I'll do ERS Management on a set of Softs, really pushing it trying to get the fastest lap on the session for the sponsor bonuses as the AI rarely go hard on FP1.

Comes FP2 and I'll do the Race Strategy first as the longer stint is great to assess a setup and by this point I should be on final adjustments. After that I'll give the Quali Pace a shot on Softs, with varying degrees of success and no high expectations.

I'll pepper laps on FP2 until I finally settle on a setup, going back and forth between my mediums and Softs if necessary. I don't want to leave this session without a setup in mind unless the only thing left to nail down is tyre pressure.

FP3 rolls in and my only obligation is to do the Quali Pace programme on Softs. I may still tweak tyre pressures here but that is not a rule. So I'll put anything between 1 and 5 hotlaps on FP3.

After that I'll retire and get ready to quali.

Edit: Should have added that I usually do +1 lap after each programme on FP1 just to get a proper-ish stint to evaluate my setup and gather enough data to make tyre adjustments easier later down the line.

Edited by marioho
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RS Phil said:

I must be mad but I prepare a race a lot, viewing videos on Internet and noting gears and braking points from real drivers to compare during practice sessions, full practice since I race 100% (so much more for strategy and tyres). I would say that I’m driving around 20 laps per practice session.

I also spent time with telemetry to compare my laps with different setups, tyres, fuel, ...

I think this aspect is really fun and helps you a lot when the race comes regarding strategy. This is maybe why I don’t find it boring but interesting.

Ok, sometimes you lose all your efforts by making a mistake during the race. You maybe cannot feel the sensation of a real driver in a real F1 but when something like this happens, believe me you certainly feel the same.

Same except for the viewing videos on the internet part

• Like 1

I found that during the race I can pick up a lot of time due to the other cars taking their lines and I'll adjust to go faster.

But I'll usually only run like 20laps in practice and 3 or 4 in Q.

For now my team has to drive 100 laps per weekend so I'm driving 10 laps each practice session. Usually I would spread the practice programs over FP1 and FP2 and then do another 5 laps or so in FP3. But that's hardly a good preparation. Often after doing practice and quali I don't feel like playing the game any more and usually won't play until the next day so I go into a race fresh. Maybe a handful laps in time trial if I know I have some trouble with a circuit.

My problem is engine wear. I'm trying so hard to preserve my engine components that I am reluctant to do any more than the bare minimum to get through the practice programs for those sweet, sweet resource points.

@TIHG once you swap out your first engine, or first component in any category for that matter, if you really want to put some extra legs in practice you can switch back and forth between current and past components with no penalty.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, TIHG said:

My problem is engine wear. I'm trying so hard to preserve my engine components that I am reluctant to do any more than the bare minimum to get through the practice programs for those sweet, sweet resource points.

You can do more. It would also keep your engine wear similar to that of the AI, equalizing the playing field a bit.

I’ll do Qualy lap (1) lap and maybe Race Pace (3) laps to see where I fall. 
Other than that racing in Leagues and Ranked I guess are my practice for career races. Granted I probably play 5-6 hours a day.

That is another good point,how long can you play this game in one shot? Maximum 1 weekend i can do,50% race incl all the other stuff mentioned above,but that is the max. Today e.g. I did P 2 & 3 + qualy in Monaco at lunch time,the race i do later today. Normally after Monaco i need a break due to the lack of concentration. How long can you play?

I cannot play more than 2 hours otherwise you lose your concentration.

• Agree 2

Australia, Austria, Britain, Bahrain, Spain, Canada- Little to non, on this tracks I do maybe 1 to 4 laps cause i know them good

Russia, China, Baku, zandvoort- about  10 laps per FP

Rest I do maybe around 25 laps on the whole practice, but my top 1 laps in FP is Hanoi with  combined 56 laps XD 

33 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

That is another good point,how long can you play this game in one shot? Maximum 1 weekend i can do,50% race incl all the other stuff mentioned above,but that is the max. Today e.g. I did P 2 & 3 + qualy in Monaco at lunch time,the race i do later today. Normally after Monaco i need a break due to the lack of concentration. How long can you play?

In very rare instances where I have nothing to do I can play 2-3 hours (full weekend and 100% race) but with 15-30 minute breaks in between.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, marioho said:

@TIHG once you swap out your first engine, or first component in any category for that matter, if you really want to put some extra legs in practice you can switch back and forth between current and past components with no penalty. 

Good advice, but until you change all components in the power unit you are still wearing the parts that haven't been changed. Those engines start smoking after three races @ 20 laps per track. By the time I hit the 10th race I have to use the + mod and get a grid penalty.

Can we run laps in Time Trial with our setup and not effect the engine wear in the career?

Edited by HotLZ

3 hours ago, HotLZ said:

Good advice, but until you change all components in the power unit you are still wearing the parts that haven't been changed. Those engines start smoking after three races @ 20 laps per track. By the time I hit the 10th race I have to use the + mod and get a grid penalty.

Can we run laps in Time Trial with our setup and not effect the engine wear in the career?

Not necessarily, as some parts work independently from others. Actually, from the top of my head the only one that does indeed affect other components wear tangibly is the Control Electronics. Your ICE won't suffer any extra wear because you're running on a worn out MGU-H for instance.

Yes, you can race on TT to your hearts' desire as it is a completely unrelated mode. Your career parts won't be affected. It is not even the same car. 

I am not saying running with a worn part causes other parts to wear faster.

Regardless of the condition of any component, when you run laps you are putting more wear on all the components.

So you change to a bad part to run more laps-the bad part gets more wear which doesn't matter. However, the unchanged parts will continue to wear while you run laps. Not because the bad part is causing it but because the engine is running.

I spend ages doing practice. I try and complete all the practice programmes to get the maximum R&D points. I normally go and drive for the first part of FP1, just to get a feel for the track. Then do track acclimatisation, followed by race pace towards the end of the session. Then in FP2 I do all the other practice programmes and make adjustments here and there to my setup. And finally in FP3, I fit fresher components and have another crack at the bits I failed on before. Then full qualifying and a 50% race. The whole lot normally takes about three hours start to finish, so I don’t get chance to play every day. Tomorrow is looking like the next time I’ll actually get chance!

At my last GP in Hungary I also spent about 45 minutes on time trial mode first, just because it was my worst track on F1 2019 so I wanted to try and get some extra practice in before heading to the race weekend.

I’m still very new to all this and I don’t trust myself on each track to go into it without a lot of practice and tweaking first. On F1 2019 I got through a season and a half on career mode and that’s it. I don’t play online very often and not in any leagues so practice really is my chance to ‘relearn’ each track.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dwin20 said:

@RS Phil What telemetry software do you use?

Thanks

I use SRT Telemetry Software on my iPad (easy to analyse when back in garage). It is very complete and simple, compatible with F1 2020 with 2019 stream. 2 drawbacks: you cannot see telemetry from other drivers and it is not free.

A free software you can use is PXG Telemetry.

21 minutes ago, RS Phil said:

I use SRT Telemetry Software on my iPad (easy to analyse when back in garage). It is very complete and simple, compatible with F1 2020 with 2019 stream. 2 drawbacks: you cannot see telemetry from other drivers and it is not free.

A free software you can use is PXG Telemetry.

I was waiting on them to drop the F1 2020 version and did not occur to me to use it with the 2019 stream. Any noticeable data that is unavailable on the 2019 mode?

53 minutes ago, marioho said:

I was waiting on them to drop the F1 2020 version and did not occur to me to use it with the 2019 stream. Any noticeable data that is unavailable on the 2019 mode?

No it works perfectly except the name of Zandvoort and Hanoi is unknown but data is ok.

A new version is coming with 2 new features : share and export.

I do every single practice programme, normally over FP1 & 2 and on the odd occasion I’ll jump into FP3. I find it helpful to get a feel of the setup and track conditions by putting as much laps in without affecting my component wear. The ESR, Tyre Wear, Fuel Wear and Race Strategy I find are extremely important to setting yourself up for a good weekend as your setup can affect both fuel and tyre wear. 

Normally I’ll do it in this order:

1.) ESR - Make sure I’m deploying energy in the right parts of the circuit. There’s no point going off and doing other programmes before you know wether or not you’re deploying your energy correctly. 
2.) Track Acclimatisation - I only do this for the extra RP. 
3.) Tyre Wear - hoping for green or purple here otherwise there’s something wrong with my setup and it’s back to the drawing board to make tweaks. 
4.) Fuel - I only aim for green here. There’s a fine line between competitive pace and being too slow to appease the programme parameters. 
5.) Race strategy - at this point if I’m happy with all the above it’s about putting it into practice over 3/5 laps (delete as appropriate). I normally do 5 laps for the extra data. 
6.) Qually strategy - always the last thought on my mind. Again if all the above are tickety boo then this should come naturally. 

Hope this helps! 

• Like 1