Most Races Play Out The Same

I love the handling model and am enjoying myself, but I am finding the game just makes for very humdrum races.

I am doing full rpactice sessions, full quali and 25% race.

I usually end up qualifying about where the pace of my car is, varies by track but usually mid pack, then I can usually jump a couple of positions at the race start and then because of my natural apce I spend the entire race trying to hold off a couple of quicker cars and never have the option of doing much else.

Every race is starting to feel the same, how is best to add more variation to the game?

Edited by Carlos100
Spelling

It generally just means my train starts in a different position.

I still qualify correct position for car, jump a couple and have a tedious race holding my place.

No my pace is generally the same, I can just gain a couple of places off the start so I am slightly out of position.

1 minute ago, Carlos100 said:

No my pace is generally the same, I can just gain a couple of places off the start so I am slightly out of position.

Okay, so what exactly is the problem then?

If you qualify where you should with your car, and your race pace is what it should be with the car, I'm not sure what you are expecting/missing here. If you jump cars at the start who are faster than you.. well, they will be faster than you.

Edited by janbonator
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Carlos100 said:

Would longer races give me more variation or am I just going to spend longer in my train?

Longer races, especially with the Safety Car on, will give you more variation. Might even jump a lot of places because the AI has no idea how to fit a Safety Car into their strategy. If that happens, though, you will likely eventually end up with a similar train but with even faster cars behind you.

6 minutes ago, janbonator said:

Okay, so what exactly is the problem then?

If you qualify where you should with your car, and your race pace is what it should be with the car, I'm not sure what you are expecting/missing here. If you jump cars at the start who are faster than you.. well, they will be faster than you.

It just doesn't make for a very exciting game experience to trundle around every race the same.

Just now, Carlos100 said:

It just doesn't make for a very exciting game experience to trundle around every race the same.

It doesn't, no. I'm sure Trulli thought the same. :classic_biggrin:

It's not my experience playing career though. I don't remember being the locomotive of a train except in Bahrain and Monaco in my first season.

Overtaking is easier on some tracks than others, which I'd have thought would change the behaviour?

Are you in My Team or Career mode? How many races/seasons have you done? What AI level are you playing at? I'm asking the last point as it might affect how aggressive the AI are at trying to overtake, although I'm not sure if it does. Whether you'd be happier if you were overtaken more is a different matter 🙂.

5 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Overtaking is easier on some tracks than others, which I'd have thought would change the behaviour?

Are you in My Team or Career mode? How many races/seasons have you done? What AI level are you playing at? I'm asking the last point as it might affect how aggressive the AI are at trying to overtake, although I'm not sure if it does. Whether you'd be happier if you were overtaken more is a different matter 🙂.

I'm at about 91% I think.

Playing in my team and approaching about 6-7 races in of the first season.

2 minutes ago, Carlos100 said:

I'm at about 91% I think.

Playing in my team and approaching about 6-7 races in of the first season.

I'm tempted to think you just need to stick with it then, as that's not that long at all really. Things definitely will change more over time.

• Agree 2

I play at 105% difficulty and do 50% races on My Team. Most of the time, I would qualify in P10-14 depending on the track. In Spain, I don’t know what happened, but the car just did not switch on, and I had a horrible qualifying, finishing P18. In the race, I finished P9 thanks to 2 safety cars that helped me with the strategy. I am at France in my first season, and it is almost the same result and tactic: Gain positions at the start and see if you can keep the faster cars like Mclaren, Racing Point and Renault behind, or attack them by going on a different strategy. For example, in Canada, I qualified P12, and I started on the Medium tyre, whilst Ricciardo, Perez and Stroll started ahead of me as they went into Q3. I jumped 2 cars on the opening lap, and I found myself in P9 as Albon had a grid penalty and started way back. The trio of Perez, Stroll and Ricciardo had high tyre wear during the first stint, and I managed to overtake Ricciardo. However, after the pit stops, I could not keep up with Ricciardo, Perez and Stroll. Leclerc then has an engine blow up and I was promoted to P8.

My results are in the picture, and I have to be honest that I have been lucky to accumulate many points due to my rivals making mistakes. I don’t expect to keep P7, as I will stop developing the car by the Singapore Gp and I need to take an additional Energy Store, Control Electronics and Turbo Charger to ensure that I finish the season in good shape. 

It depends on the track. In the image, I finished P6 in Baku, Zandvoort and Vietnam, which are tracks that I love and excel. In Monaco, I was running P9 before the weather messed me up, and I made the wrong call to pit for inters when in fact the track was dry, and this was all the way to the end of the race LOL. I think in Monaco, a P9 was possible, but damn I should not have pitted for inters...

9CDBF4ED-245C-4C99-84DD-7CA2896CBF1E.jpeg

Edited by Krisperfectline

Unless you're just going to turn the difficulty down and smash the mode from the start, I don't think it's going to be for everyone. The first season at least, seems setup to give the player the experience of battling out the back and establishing themselves as a midfield outfit, it's going to be a grind at times for what seems like little gain. A lot of players are finding this swtich of gameplay refreshing and really appreciating it, but that doesn't mean it's going to be enjoyable to every player. 

The options remain to jump in single driver career and replace Bottas at Merc if you want. 

15 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Unless you're just going to turn the difficulty down and smash the mode from the start, I don't think it's going to be for everyone. The first season at least, seems setup to give the player the experience of battling out the back and establishing themselves as a midfield outfit, it's going to be a grind at times for what seems like little gain. A lot of players are finding this swtich of gameplay refreshing and really appreciating it, but that doesn't mean it's going to be enjoyable to every player. 

The options remain to jump in single driver career and replace Bottas at Merc if you want. 

I enjoy this. It has been fun to battle with the midfield ai. Battles into the hairpin at Vietnam, side by side through the banking corners of Zandvoort and battles into the tight left turn corner just before the end of the second sector at Baku. I must say that I had a lot of action up until Baku. Canada was quite a boring race after my first pit stop in spite of some light rain coming at the end that had no effect on the race. I went around the outside side by side with Perez in the left banked hairpin corner in Zandvoort, and it was fun. I also went side by side with Stroll on the final banked corner of Zandvoort. 

By the way, never use the hard tyres in Zandvoort. You can go Soft- Medium or Medium- Soft and you still have decent pace at the end of the stints. You do need good straightline speed and racecraft to keep scoring points, as most of the cars have better cornering speed. I have been focusing on my exits into drs zones and using the overtake button to keep ahead of the faster cars. 

I find one stops to be OP in this game at times. In Bahrain, France and Azerbaijan so far are the most noticeable ones, and I am just in France. You can make a one stop from P16 and finish in the points if the faster cars make any slip ups and if you have decent pace. 

10 hours ago, Carlos100 said:

I love the handling model and am enjoying myself, but I am finding the game just makes for very humdrum races. I am doing full practice sessions, full qualify and 25% race. I usually end up qualifying about where the pace of my car is, varies by track but usually mid pack, then I can usually jump a couple of positions at the race start and then because of my natural pace I spend the entire race trying to hold off a couple of quicker cars and never have the option of doing much else.

Every race is starting to feel the same, how is best to add more variation to the game?

That's funny. The 18 cars behind Mercedes have been saying the same thing for the last 3 years IRL.