Jump to content
DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRT Rally 2.0 World Series - 2020 Season

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

No. You can use setups in Time Trial.

No. In World Series qualifier it's always stock. No setups allowed.

I explained it just two posts above yours...
Yes, you can practice in all conditions.

Maybe I explained myself wrong. I tried to ask is cars default tune setup in time trial equal to stock setup in World series qualifier? Of course I know that I can tune setups in time trial.. But as I mentioned, time trial default tune and qualifier stock setup felt different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, somethingthing said:

Would have been better if you actually took the time to fix the "cuttable" areas.

It was discussed back during 2019 Season.

 

There are a few reasons for why it was not done (all reasonable, but not worth going into here), but one I would like point out is that every track limit update requires:

  • A full redownload of a Location's assets (usually 10+ GB per location)
  • A total wipe of over a year's worth of Leaderboards
  • AI rebalancing

 

Those changes impact all players, and given how much criticism we get from the side of the game and updates to begin with, clearing up all cuttable areas and forcing a 100 GB update on all players (whether they are into esports or not) does more harm than good. The compromise for 2020 season was to avoid Locations with excessive cuts, like Poland.

 

All that being said, the design team as been taking a closer look at things like this and for future titles is considering how best to solve it. There are multiple theoretical solutions I can think of (more barriers, more reset areas, "sticky grass" etc.), but i guess we'll have to wait and see 🙂 

 

16 hours ago, emp9u said:

Maybe I explained myself wrong. I tried to ask is cars default tune setup in time trial equal to stock setup in World series qualifier? Of course I know that I can tune setups in time trial.. But as I mentioned, time trial default tune and qualifier stock setup felt different.

The World Series car should in theory be the same as stock in Time Trial.

At the very least, it's the same as stock in Custom.

 

Could be that it's on Medium tyres 🤔

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, emp9u said:

Maybe I explained myself wrong. I tried to ask is cars default tune setup in time trial equal to stock setup in World series qualifier? Of course I know that I can tune setups in time trial.. But as I mentioned, time trial default tune and qualifier stock setup felt different.

I believe there is just one stock setup for each car in the game per location for all game modes.
Don't see the point of multiple stock setups, cost more work for what?

In terms of tyres and spares I'm not 100% sure.

You can't choose spares in Time Trial, so I don't really know if the car runs with a spare in Time Trial or not.
Same for World Series qualifier, I'm not sure how it's there.
I don't even know, if having a spare or two really effects the weight in the game, meaning if it is really simulated.
My driving is too inconsistent to test that 😄 

If you can't choose the tyre compound in World Series qualifier, there is a good chance we run on mediums.
And mediums have definitely less grip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be good if we could watch the replay of the WINNER of each race in the World Series. (could they get uploaded to this forum?) 

Somebody has just got 04:14.650 on Ocean Beach Sprint Forward! That's an amazing time on that degraded surface, would like to watch that. 

Edited by stein11
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, stein11 said:

Somebody has just got 04:14.650 on Ocean Beach Sprint Forward! That's an amazing time on that degraded surface, would like to watch that. 

Just to add some information for people. Higher degradation is faster in New Zealand because the turns have more banking than normal and thus you can carry more speed through a sharp turn. Time trial is much slower in comparison. Last year (world series) in R2 for example I was doing 8:19s on Waimarama point forward (custom event, starting P16) but in time trial 8:24-25 seems like a comparable time. So ye, a degraded surface is not slower at all on some locations and practicing time trial is not the way to go.

 Most people check runs on youtube that people have uploaded to see if the degradation levels are very high or very low. Then go into custom events and start/retire until they get a degradation level that matches what they see in the videos and start to practice that. If you press restart and then quit to main after the finish (or just restart) you can use that same event for multiple days without having to worry about needing to find the correct position again. You can't select the starting position yourself so you just have to remake the entire custom event over and over until you get the roll you want which isn't great but within 15 minutes you're usually fine.

And yes, 4:14.6 is a sick time. Did a 15.9 myself with a different car, no idea how they are able to handle the escort so well. Super hard to drive so massive respect to them. If you want to try and qualify though, get an xbox since the winning time this week was a 4:25 or something..

 

Question for PJ: is there a typo in the rulebook for the qualifying final stages? Stages 2 and 3 match the stages we drove in the online qualification but stage 1 is now the reverse and not the forward. Is this correct or should it be the same stages?

Edited by Maxiemwagenaar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maxiemwagenaar said:

Question for PJ: is there a typo in the rulebook for the qualifying final stages? Stages 2 and 3 match the stages we drove in the online qualification but stage 1 is now the reverse and not the forward. Is this correct or should it be the same stages?

I can bring it up next time I chat to Motorsport Games. The change for Round 1, Week 1, Rally was a last-minute one, so maybe an oversight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I can bring it up next time I chat to Motorsport Games. The change for Round 1, Week 1, Rally was a last-minute one, so maybe an oversight.

Ah I see, thanks for the update! Hoped you didn't reply yet though because I had another addition to my question which is that the car class is also not specified even though the rulebook says 'cars and stages as follows'.

Edited by Maxiemwagenaar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxiemwagenaar said:

Ah I see, thanks for the update! Hoped you didn't reply yet though because I had another addition to my question which is that the car class is also not specified even though the rulebook says 'cars and stages as follows'.

Maybe the car Class is a surprise 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maxiemwagenaar said:

If you want to try and qualify though, get an xbox since the winning time this week was a 4:25 or something..

Lol, that sounds, if it's easy on xbox.
I ruined my run by doing two spins and a roll. Only got a 4:53.XXX, but better than a low 4:30s time wouldn't be possible for me, the Escort is quite a beast.
I have no idea, how people manage a low 4:20s time or even better...crazy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i did week 1 and 2 of the world series and as i was about to do the 3rd week yesterday the world series tab disapeared off my game completely (it is back there today with no events) but it meant i couldn't do the 3rd week, will i still qualify for my car and can they make sure that the next round stays live in game till the true finishing time, i also sent a tweet about this at the time to @dirtgame.

plus in reference to some of the above comments about cuts and stuff, these should have been looked into a long time ago, way before DR2 came out not now on the second year of a world series when there will be no hope or even attempt to put them right, i am a big believer in driving the road you are given so never look for cuts, but some on this game are ridiculous and PJ you mention poland, but new Zealand, USA and argentina are just as bad, in fact i think the only course where there are no cuts is Monte Carlo where you either drive the track or fall yo your death :), not having a go, just giving info and thoughts, one of the reasons i decided to just drive through the DWS and collect my car, but that got hampered lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Nine-Red said:

i did week 1 and 2 of the world series and as i was about to do the 3rd week yesterday the world series tab disapeared off my game completely (it is back there today with no events) but it meant i couldn't do the 3rd week, will i still qualify for my car and can they make sure that the next round stays live in game till the true finishing time, i also sent a tweet about this at the time to @dirtgame.

You just need one time in any qualifier, so you qualified already in the first week for the Fiesta MKII R5.
I missed week 2, because I simply forgot to do it the last few days 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Nine-Red said:

will i still qualify for my car

Yes. Only a single Qualifier is enough. You will have the car once 1.16 releases 🙂 

 

56 minutes ago, Nine-Red said:

the next round stays live in game till the true finishing time

It was live all the time, no outages in our backend I'm afraid, you were the only person to report it.

My best guess is that you temporarily lost server connection at the time you were looking to do the Qualifier, which caused the Events to disappear.

 

58 minutes ago, Nine-Red said:

PJ you mention poland, but new Zealand, USA and argentina are just as bad

That's why we're using Spain and Australia next 😉 

We only use non-DLC content for the Qualifiers, so after last year we picked the 3 "least cuttable" Locations we could. I'm sure for future titles this is something we won't have to deal with, depending on what "track limit" systems are in place 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 11:59 AM, Maxiemwagenaar said:

 

..

Edited by stein11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 11:59 AM, Maxiemwagenaar said:

Just to add some information for people. Higher degradation is faster in New Zealand because the turns have more banking than normal and thus you can carry more speed through a sharp turn. Time trial is much slower in comparison. 

Thanks

I need to practice the custom event and see how much faster it is. I was getting a stack of unexpected kick out on the higher degradation World Series track.

I'm thinking then Jon Armstrong would definitely get under 04:16.00 

That 4:34.465 is maybe staged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2020 at 11:39 PM, stein11 said:

 

That 4:34.465 is maybe staged.

I think PJ would definitely beat this time. 

Edited by stein11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Stage/Car at New Zealand again? I'm not a pro but I could try it 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

What Stage/Car at New Zealand again? I'm not a pro but I could try it 🙂 

New Zealand - Ocean Beach Sprint Forward - H2 RWD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stein11 said:

New Zealand - Ocean Beach Sprint Forward - H2 RWD 

Ooh that's the where I spun out on the first turn 😞 

I had just done 2 hours of 4WD so wasn't ready for a MK2 Escort 😄 

 

In the other Qualifiers I think I was Top 300, which is alright since I'm not a pro and didn't practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 1:15 AM, stein11 said:

I think PJ would definitely beat this time. 

Nah, it's just a tenth down of my time, he can't do that.
*throws a white glove in PJs face* 😁

2 hours ago, stein11 said:

New Zealand - Ocean Beach Sprint Forward - H2 RWD 

In Time Trial not to forget.

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Ooh that's the where I spun out on the first turn 😞 

I had just done 2 hours of 4WD so wasn't ready for a MK2 Escort 😄 

I did some practice runs in Time Trial and still spun twice + a roll.
Wasn't prepared for that completely different surface.
Lost more than 15 seconds in that run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whole New England run I though Codies forgot the shift lights again. Instead, they placed them behind the steering wheel so you can't see them, except in VR when there's a jump. Classic

gdsgdgd.thumb.png.0ab7ffb7d9320bb12d8fcb6e9909ecd8.pngffsafasfs.thumb.png.e34558db5cf33caa0a22b5eebcf9aa23.png

Notice how in the real car they are well _above_ the steering wheel. Not behind it. Because the shift lights aren't much use if the driver can't see them, in the real world where you can't turn the steering wheel off or have HUD floating in the airgsdgsdgds.thumb.png.4e5a8e23aba5d724a0d1fa533ff702f4.png

Hate to be so negative about what otherwise looks like a really nice car, but it's just baffling how time and time again content additions contain such blatant flaws. And in what is planned to be the final update for the game, so the usual "let the players beta test them and fix whenever, maybe" approach doesn't really work here

Edited by HoksuHoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×