DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×

DiRT Rally 2.0 World Series - 2020 Season

PJTierney
Just now, PJTierney said:

Heads up, if you missed out on the freebie from the World Series, you can buy the Ford Fiesta R5 MKII now.

image0.jpg

Message added by PJTierney

2 hours ago, MongoJon [VR] said:

hmm, according to schedule the rally track should be Noorinbee Ridge Ascent. 

When I drove it was Noorinbee Ridge Descent (?) This can't be right?

Looking at the regulations, Descent is correct.

https://dirtrally2.dirtgame.com/pdf/Sporting_Regulations_DiRT Rally 2_World_Series_2020.pdf

image.png

I think I mistakenly put Ascent in the blog post.

35 minutes ago, MongoJon [VR] said:

Yeah, ok. Because this says otherwise..

Untitled.png.378858d1da35b79a411d96b0d409bccd.png

Yeah the site and my blog post are incorrect, Sporting Regulations are the one true source.

Sorry for the mixup.

Oh, nice. I've been practicing Noorinbee Ridge Ascent couple of weeks every now and then..😡

And it's still wrong in the schedule. Are 10th and 17th november tracks right in the schedule?

7 hours ago, emp9u said:

Oh, nice. I've been practicing Noorinbee Ridge Ascent couple of weeks every now and then..😡

And it's still wrong in the schedule. Are 10th and 17th november tracks right in the schedule?

I’ll double-check with the right people that the remaining qualifiers are correct. To avoid any doubt, the Sporting Regulations PDF is the most accurate; that was updated today for an unrelated thing to the Stages.

Throwing this in here because an interesting discussion happened on Twitter yesterday.

FYI, 2020 season isn't changing format (it's all locked in from Day 1 pretty much), but all of your feedback is useful for any future esports activities we do 🙂 

• Thanks 1

What I really hope here, and would like to point out is that the next game (tm) should take into account some of the needs for a more RALLY focused esports competition.  Honestly the perfect execution is the real sport of WRC/ERC.  The closer the esport is to that, the more enjoyable it will be for the competitors and ultimately the audience as well.    One of the main factors is to NOT eliminate people from the competition if at all possible.  You can select a group of individuals from the top to cover and invite, but you should have a system where nobody is cut unless they crash out or give up.  Another factor is not to force the competitors to drive every class of vehicle on the block.  A real rally competition is done in one class, (with options to be in another lower class).

So far for me Solberg World cup was the best execution of what a competition in DR2 should be, but it's FAR from perfect due to some limitations.

To show just how unpleasant it is to take part in the WS, I wasn't even trying to qualify this year due to the lack of rally spirit in the competition (not that I would beat the top 3 drivers anyway but that's besides the point). 

My20c

Edited by bn880
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bn880 said:

To show just how unpleasant it is to take part in the WS, I wasn't even trying to qualify this year due to the lack of rally spirit in the competition (not that I would beat the top 3 drivers anyway but that's besides the point). 

Yeah, I have participated in all of the recent events purely to race against friends, I agree that the "open" nature of the event means that some players are obviously just plugging away at the weekly stage to put the best time in. 

NB: That reminds me, need to check and see where I came now the last round has finished! 

• Agree 1

On 11/29/2020 at 2:58 PM, PJTierney said:

FYI, 2020 season isn't changing format (it's all locked in from Day 1 pretty much), but all of your feedback is useful for any future esports activities we do 🙂 

as for rally, In future I would like to see the pacenotes take its role in esports competition, I mean by that is to set rules that makes the participants drivers need to prepare their pacenotes before the race rather than the current TT practices method. That also will give the participants teams more objects and tasks to achieve with their drivers.

2 hours ago, stcooza said:

as for rally, In future I would like to see the pacenotes take its role in esports competition, I mean by that is to set rules that makes the participants drivers need to prepare their pacenotes before the race rather than the current TT practices method. That also will give the participants teams more objects and tasks to achieve with their drivers.

Wouldn't that be lovely!  Hopefully DR3 will at least have some pacenote editor.   But to prevent hammering it would be hard, one solution is to release special stages just for the competition, not cheap.   And I think dynamic stage generation (ala MyStage) has been said as not in the works for next Rally game.

23 hours ago, stcooza said:

How do you enforce that, unless you don't reveal Stage until they're about to drive on it?

6 hours ago, PJTierney said:

How do you enforce that, unless you don't reveal Stage until they're about to drive on it?

Me! I cant enforce anything, but I can share my thought if you want.

I am not sure how to approach to that point, it is actually difficult, because rally is deferent in matter of racing concept, most of other famous racing like formula, sports cars touring cars racing, nascar and even rally cross all of these races are in circuits, hence there will be no issues revealing these circuits in-game because the drivers need to practice on the circuit before the race just like in real life also will not affect the race because eventually they will race against each other physically at the same circuit, on the contrary in rally it is time attack and revealing the stages in-game will causes tow issues: 

1- no need for pacenotes.

2- race results will be -same as\close to- practice results.

also rally rules in real life are banding the testing on the stages that take a part in race, so not so much options left there, but there is a way may serve this cause as @bn880 mentioned: 

On 12/21/2020 at 5:23 PM, bn880 said:

one solution is to release special stages just for the competition, not cheap.

If some amount of stages releases for esports purposes only, it could be used for every season not only one to invest it properly, after several seasons it may become iconic and famous that bring popularity for this game and it’s competitive scene, also this amount could be growing by backing it up with more stages, taking it slowly and not much costly step by step to make this work.

Just now, PJTierney said:

Heads up, if you missed out on the freebie from the World Series, you can buy the Ford Fiesta R5 MKII now.

image0.jpg

This weekend's competitors will be using new liveries.

They're not in the regular version of the game, but if we are doing any updates or hotfixes in the future we may be able to squeeze them in 🙂 

DR2_SUBARU_Impreza95_DWS_5.jpg

DR2_SUBARU_Impreza95_DWS_7.jpg

DR2_VW_PoloRSupercar_DWS_1.jpg

DR2_VW_PoloRSupercar_DWS_3.jpg

If necessary, I can make a Jennifer Aniston dance move.

giphy.gif

Of course, "L" like "Livery" :classic_ninja:

Edited by James McAdam
  • Haha 1

More info here on the Finals:

https://dirtrally2.dirtgame.com/News/dws_2020_finals

The DiRT Rally 2.0 World Series Grand Finals will see our competitors tour several locations in identical machinery. Rally competitors will be retracing the steps of Colin McRae's 1995 season with the iconic SUBARU Impreza, and our Rallycross finalists will be driving the most dominant World RX car of all time, the Volkswagen Polo R Supercar.

Rally:

• Stage 1: Monte Carlo • Route de Turini Montee
  • Stage 2: Sweden • Hamra
  • Stage 3: New Zealand • Elsthorpe Sprint Reverse
  • Stage 4: Spain • Ascenso bosque Montverd

• Final Stage: Wales • Sweet Lamb

• After Stage 4 the bottom 3 drivers will be eliminated, and the Final Stage will be a single-Stage shootout.
  • Hardcore Damage is enabled on all Stages.

Rallycross:

• Q1: Montalegre, Portugal
  • Q2: Montalegre, Portugal
  • Q3: Höljes, Sweden
  • Q4: Höljes, Sweden
  • Q5: Biķernieku Kompleksā Sporta Bāze, Latvia
  • Q6: Biķernieku Kompleksā Sporta Bāze, Latvia

• Final Race: Silverstone, England

• The grid for the Final Race will be set based on the results of the 6 Qualifying Races

That Rally selection is good!  (except the Spain stage)  🙂

9 hours ago, PJTierney said:

This weekend's competitors will be using new liveries.

They're not in the regular version of the game, but if we are doing any updates or hotfixes in the future we may be able to squeeze them in 🙂 

Hm...I prepare myself for a planned cry attack, if you don't release them 😃
But I think since some things broke with 1.17.0, chances are quite good, there comes another one to fix at least these things.

Not sure if I watch the grand finals.
My experience with those eSports events was always, that they are more advertising shows than sports events.
Not only the last DR events, same with the Forza Motorsport-events.