Audio accessibility and quality of life feedback

Hi guys. I'm very conscious of opening the flood gates on here and not being able to deliver on what every individual wants but I'm looking for feedback and suggestions for our audio options. We'd like to cater for as many players as possible, particularly those with disabilities who may currently struggle with certain audio aspects of our game. I cannot promise all or any of your suggestions will be incorporated in F1 2020 or a future game, but I'd really like to gather some general feedback on what you may find useful. For example, a player recently started a reddit thread about Jeff being too difficult to hear due to his current processing. I'd be interested in adding a toggle to turn on/off his radio processing so those of you who want a more authentic race engineer can do that but anybody who finds that particularly difficult to hear can remove the processing altogether and have arguable a less authentic but a more accessible experience.

I've gone into detail in the past over why we don't want to include 50 different level faders to adjust every element of the game so we're not after those kinds of suggestions.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

I'll give this the featured status just that it's more clear that it's a question to the community and not a suggestion to Codemasters 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@issueskid let me start by sayings, thanks for this years 2020 Sound! I really like the Broadcast Mix and also the F2 cars sound are a beast! Thanks for that!

Only question i have for now because im talking in a topic regarding this,

Is there a way to have the main game sound (engine etc) divided from the output of Jeff? For example on Ps4, i would like to have the main game sound on my soundbar and Jeff on a (1 ear) headset with a mic. Is this possible? I tried on Ps4 but could not make this work. 

Edited by GioProductions
Extra info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm that reddit guy! This is how you get me to buy the next F1 title. The Jeff voice and the ability to move the subtitles in the HUD customization are the only ones I can offer feedback. The rest of the game has been fantastic for me.

To catch up the ones that didn't see my reddit post, I am deaf-blind andI had issues with hearing Jeff due to his "radio" voice. I understood him perfectly in F1 2019 with the headset on and I can't understand Jeff at all in 2020. My vision problems doesn't provide me the luxury to keep my eye on the track at all times. I have small tunnel vision and whwnwver Jeff says something, I have to completely take my eyes off the track and try to read the subtitles quickly before my next turn. Moving the subtitles like I could with the HUD elements, I could.move the subtitles closer to my center of vision.

Appreciate you taking feedback on this, not a lot of game companies would do the same. ❤

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello @azombie1223 🙂

Brilliant, glad you can offer us some feedback. I totally agree about the Jeff processing toggle.In terms of subtitles, its not strictly an audio issue so there's nothing I can do to fix this but I'm certainly going to raise this as an issue to hopefully get it resolved at some point in the future.

One possible option I thought about was whether it is worth having a toggle to switch on audio beeps when AI cars are next to you, much like we do with the visuals at the moment in the form of arrows. I know some people complain AI cars are too loud while others complain they are too quiet and I wonder if anything like this affects people with hearing difficulties or whether the visual indication alone is enough?

@issueskid I would like to thank everyone on the audio team for the great work they've done this year, adding a unique experience to the game with the broadcast mix. About it, I would like to ponder that the sound of the Mercedes differs a little from the TV broadcasts, mainly in the gearshifts and the sound of the Honda engine does not have the gagging in the reduced and I would very much like those to be in the game. In addition, I wanted to give a suggestion about something that has already occurred in F1 games but that I haven't seen in the codemasters franchise, which is the dynamic narration during races, informing about the drivers' positions, fastest laps, mechanical failures etc. Certainly it would be something that would add too much to the game, especially for F1 fans like me who don't care much about simulation and even play because they like F1 and would like an experience close to what I see on TV, I put this topic as a suggestion for upcoming games in the franchise.

@issueskid 

1. Can we have a toggle to off sound of spectators. 

2. Can you decrease other car' sounds a bit, since most of the time their audio is louder then the car we are in.

3. As for audio processing, for me personally, it'd be nice to have an option of clear voice of Jeff , since in real F1 their internal radio is crystal clear most of time.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@sergey_blackbird We already have all 3 of these on our discussion list 🙂.  That's not a promise you will see them in game but we are taking note and investigating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 11:51 PM, issueskid said:

One possible option I thought about was whether it is worth having a toggle to switch on audio beeps when AI cars are next to you, much like we do with the visuals at the moment in the form of arrows. I know some people complain AI cars are too loud while others complain they are too quiet and I wonder if anything like this affects people with hearing difficulties or whether the visual indication alone is enough?

I have hearing difficulty in my right ear, but I can't say I have noticed not hearing cars on my right. To be fair, I haven't noticed hearing them on the left either... I'll pay more attention to it in the future, but small beeps does seem like a useful addition.

Does F1 2020 have a mic input select option? The game doesn't pick up my mic by default, but I often have to manually change the input device in games. If it doesn't already have the option to change device, that would also be a useful addition. 

• Thanks 1

@NinjaElmo Thanks for the feedback, any particular audio issues you face while playing the game otherwise?

In terms of the mic input, are you playing on windows? The input device will be the default device you have in your windows settings.

I've pinned this to the top of the page here @issueskid

Drop me a DM when you have sufficient feedback and I can remove when needed. 👍

• Thanks 1

@issueskid Yep, playing on windows, I had some weird setup with virtual cable to get some other programs working. In some games you can manually select the input device, but I definitely understand it not being a priority for F1.
Other than cars sounding like terrifying UFO's in spectator mode when the game launched, I can't think of any sound issues. I'll keep my good ear out.

@NinjaElmo I don't know what your setup is like but it sounds liek you might be doing some strange stuff.

There's two ways in windows to see what your default device is. Whatever this is set to the game will use. Does that help you?

Annotation 2020-08-21 112757.png

Can we have an option for commentary audio volume. When you come to the end of the race etc and Crofty starts speaking its deafening, its so loud, much louder than the in game volume. A slider for commentary volume would be good or even if you can just decrease crofty and Davidsons overall audio level 

Edited by TomAAA

4 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Can we have an option for commentary audio volume. When you come to the end of the race etc and Crofty starts speaking its deafening, its so loud, much louder than the in game volume. A slider for commentary volume would be good or even if you can just decrease crofty and Davidsons overall audio level 

There is already a slider for speech. All speech is balanced to the same level so if you're finding anything to be inconsistent this is a bug that has slipped through the cracks. Crofty and Ant aren't mixed purposly to be "much louder" than other speech.

Sorry, i’m an old guy, just want to race, don’t need all the chatting. So, it would be great to be able to switch commentary off completely. After having heard all remarks during my first season, i don’t really need to hear it anymore. It gets a bit repetitive, all info is on the screen, i don’t need to hear for the umpteenth time what a blistering lap Hamilton has done this qualification....

Crowd noise has been mentioned, a separate slider would work.

Last but not least the info from engineer during race. An option to just get the gap ahead/behind like on a pitboard. Every time i ask for an update i get the whole spiel about tyres etc. 

Don’t worry, it’s not all negative, i love this game. Used to have Grand Prix 2 in the 90’s and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. This is even better!

I have to say you guys have done a great job with the sound this year(!), although it isn’t quite as detailed as the tv onboard. Namely there is no prominent mgu-k sound (the high pitched beep) and the honda crackles aren’t as prominent as well, although what’s there is amazing. Put simply, nice job!

On 1/18/2021 at 8:46 PM, Nassim597 said:

I have to say you guys have done a great job with the sound this year(!), although it isn’t quite as detailed as the tv onboard. Namely there is no prominent mgu-k sound (the high pitched beep) and the honda crackles aren’t as prominent as well, although what’s there is amazing. Put simply, nice job!

Thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoy the audio 🙂
We're always looking to improve the engine bundles so I'll definetly stick this on the list of items to investigate.

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2021 at 11:13 AM, PV75 said:

Sorry, i’m an old guy, just want to race, don’t need all the chatting. So, it would be great to be able to switch commentary off completely. After having heard all remarks during my first season, i don’t really need to hear it anymore. It gets a bit repetitive, all info is on the screen, i don’t need to hear for the umpteenth time what a blistering lap Hamilton has done this qualification....

Crowd noise has been mentioned, a separate slider would work.

Last but not least the info from engineer during race. An option to just get the gap ahead/behind like on a pitboard. Every time i ask for an update i get the whole spiel about tyres etc. 

Don’t worry, it’s not all negative, i love this game. Used to have Grand Prix 2 in the 90’s and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. This is even better! 

There's a few options currently in place that you may or may not know about.
You can turn speech down and also change the verbosity setting so that the engineer only feedsback critical information.
As with some of the other comments here though I'll see what we can do about some of the points you've raised. Can't promise anything but you certainly have valid points 🙂

On 18-1-2021 at 9:46 PM, Nassim597 said:

I totally agree! This years game is a great step up in audio with the broadcast mix. 

If they can add your points here above it would be even greater for the next game!

@Nassim597 you mean this from 3:22?

It sounds a bit RAW then what is in the 2020 game, but I have faith in the Audio team for the future title @issueskid

Edited by GioProductions
Video link

On 1/20/2021 at 12:34 PM, GioProductions said:

@Nassim597 you mean this from 3:22?

That’s exactly what I’m talking about that’s the point I wanted to make.

Edited by Nassim597

Hey there. 

Since the first GP in Bahrain I recognised new sound bits from the Onboards this year. The engine sound has a lot more turbo whizzing now in it. You can hear that especially at this videos. I hope that will be implemented in the new game @issueskid 

Maybe with the Broadcast Filter?

• Like 1

Regarding separating Jeff from the engine sounds  , if you have a headset you can do this by using the "Radio Output Device" option, I have that set to my headset with mic. Jeff speaks via the headset and of course the radio commands are done by mic. The engine still comes through the main speakers.

The only issue is you have to force is to send Jeff to the headset every launch of the game

12 hours ago, Jaketa said:

Hey there. 

Since the first GP in Bahrain I recognised new sound bits from the Onboards this year. The engine sound has a lot more turbo whizzing now in it. You can hear that especially at this videos. I hope that will be implemented in the new game @issueskid 

Maybe with the Broadcast Filter?

I think that’s either the mgu-k or transmission whine, but yes. It’s much more prominent now