Jump to content
F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Who is at fault? Episode 2

Recommended Posts

I quite enjoyed the last one so lets have another, first corner Bahrain action

I'm in the Alpha, I'm feeling like Ocon should have backed off here, no?

Efz9DQkWsAE5Fij.thumb.jpg.c2a1ee04006dc540adcfd342c48a1c3d.jpg

1351079018_Efz9H2xWsAMkUoB(1).thumb.jpeg.96ea592d1b114f26cfed71a4a8b909f5.jpeg

216959418_Efz9MTnXgAIY6R2(1).thumb.jpeg.d9cfb2a060c09fdf8f27f81314319d25.jpeg

Efz9SLTXYAEiTzg.thumb.jpeg.183a8045c3a2e9b2c2beda6982c60f6a.jpeg

1995596664_Efz9YPsXYAADp_s(1).thumb.jpeg.55a3a8669f7347ac7129b8c01abf4563.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ocon, definetly. He's cutting the corner to stay inside. Also, if the game were just, he'd get leaving the track and unsafe driving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TurkeySloth2107 said:

Ocon, definetly. He's cutting the corner to stay inside. Also, if the game were just, he'd get leaving the track and unsafe driving.

Well, my man damaged his front wing, spun into the grass, and rejoined last, so I'm not complaining too hard :classic_laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not enough info to make an accurate call. What happened in the right handed corner before that aloud Ocon to get his nose under you going into to the left corner?? Did you give him an opportunity to get a run on you?  Should you have given him at least a car width lane if he fairly got to the inside of you entering the left??? I would rather they push hard than back out out of corners when side by side, personally. Just one mans take on this with minimal info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's your fault, mate. Ocon has not only his front wing besides your car but his front axle is entirely alongside your rear axle on the first picture. When two cars are alongside each other you must give a car width worth of space between you and the track limit. The so called racing room.

On picture two Ocon had to leave the track to avoid colliding with you. From there on it's only the aftermath of you squeezing him too much between pics 1 and 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, marioho said:

I think it's your fault, mate. Ocon has not only his front wing besides your car but his front axle is entirely alongside your rear axle on the first picture. When two cars are alongside each other you must give a car width worth of space between you and the track limit. The so called racing room.

On picture two Ocon had to leave the track to avoid colliding with you. From there on it's only the aftermath of you squeezing him too much between pics 1 and 2.

I still say it’s Ocon’s at fault here because the only part of his car alongside OP’s is the front wing, meaning he should’ve backed out.

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@TurkeySloth2107 haha unfortunately you chose to pick maybe the only part of my statement that is objectively correct.

A front wing is more than enough for the cars to be officially considered "alongside each other". This used to come in verbis in the FIA sporting regulations:

Quote

20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.

It has probably moved from one of the Appendixes since then, but I guarantee it is still what is used by the stewards when reviewing racing incidents.

It is even replicated in the F1 eSports rules:

Quote

iv. Racing Room is considered to be roughly one-car’s width measured from outside the white lines defining the track edges. Once a trailing car has its front wheel next to the Driver of the leading vehicle, it is considered that the trailing car has a right to be there, and that the leading Driver must leave the trailing Driver sufficient Racing Room.

In this case Ocon has his front wing + front wheel alongside OP's car. 

Edited by marioho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, marioho said:

@TurkeySloth2107 haha unfortunately you chose to pick maybe the only part of my statement that is objectively correct.

A front wing is more than enough for the cars to be officially considered "alongside each other". This used to come in verbis in the FIA sporting regulations:

It has probably moved from one of the Appendixes since then, but I guarantee it is still what is used by the stewards when reviewing racing incidents.

It is even replicated in the F1 eSports rules:

In this case Ocon has his front wing + front wheel alongside OP's car. 

I know you don’t mean to sound condescending here, but the laugh makes it seem so. All you had to do was quote the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The laugh was inserted for the the double purpose of avoiding sounding condescending and highlighting the fact that the point you chose to contend with is one of the rare ones that used to come expressly written in the rules, as many aspects of racing etiquette seem to come from more of a gentleman agreement than anything else.

Glad you know I was not trying to come off as condescending. Now you know I positively tried to avoid that. There's only so much one can do to not come off as a douche when pointing at an error.

Here a random emoji to steam off the heat and help us walk over this incident

🤸‍♂️

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the wing/rear wheel thing, especially if it's in the rules, but I'm personally likely to have not known he was there and would probably have done the same thing.. I struggle enough to keep looking forward and at my mfd and keep an eye on my distance to the cars in front, let alone have a quick look back to see where Ocon would've been too. But going by my many spin during last night's racing, I'm not that good a driver haha! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ocon should have pulled out, but simulary, the OP should have left room on the inside. Given the sheer amount of cars around that section, it would be a resonable assumption that someone could be pulling alongside into the turning zone. That corner allows for a fairly decent exit when taken a little wider for the purpose of sharing the track, so chances are the battle could be finished on the straight with a littler overtake used to pull away before the next braking zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thoughts guys, I think upon reflections, it is likely right I should have left space on the inside. Though to me, his line was always going to take him off track going inside like that. 

It's a shame then that the game has no way to really punish any move like that and I received a 'warning' which had no effect whatsoever on me yet Ocon's race was basically done. 

Of course it would be hard if not impossible to achieve something like that so useless to think about it too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rango said:

I struggle enough to keep looking forward and at my mfd and keep an eye on my distance to the cars in front, let alone have a quick look back to see where Ocon would've been too.

Do you have the proximity arrows on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do, but at what point do they appear? When they've got their nose by my rear wheel or just when they're close to me? How do I know that if I turn in, there'll be contact? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rango said:

I do, but at what point do they appear? When they've got their nose by my rear wheel or just when they're close to me? How do I know that if I turn in, there'll be contact? 

The arrows are red when they're alongside you (unless that's PC2 and I've got confused.)

It's also only a faded single arrows if the car is near to you and a double bright white arrows if the car is right on your tail

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the more colour / solid they are, the more likely they'd contact? Thanks will keep that in mind 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

The arrows are red when they're alongside you (unless that's PC2 and I've got confused.)

It's also only a faded single arrows if the car is near to you and a double bright white arrows if the car is right on your tail

No it is red on F1 too. Ah least defo on F1 2019, ive turned them off for this though year as we finally have the virtual rear mirror 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, johnboy83 said:

No it is red on F1 too. Ah least defo on F1 2019, ive turned them off for this though year as we finally have the virtual rear mirror 🙂

I'm about to play so I will turn in on everything until it turns red and we will see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Rango said:

I do, but at what point do they appear? When they've got their nose by my rear wheel or just when they're close to me? How do I know that if I turn in, there'll be contact? 

I've not yet taken the time to see exactly what each indicator means. As well as the mirror options mentioned, you could also go into photo mode at the point you see each type and then have a details look at exactly what's going on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm of the opinion Codemasters should install horns on the cars. That or give us all triple monitor rigs for that peripheral awareness.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

I'm about to play so I will turn in on everything until it turns red and we will see!

Haha I like your style 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ideally want to try and avoid this (though I'm absolutely not at fault here! 😂) I'm the Renault 

Edited by Rango

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rango said:

Ideally want to try and avoid this (though I'm absolutely not at fault here! 😂) I'm the Renault 

 

Nice and calm into turn 1 there

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now, I know what you may be thinking

Ef4y4PRWkAArZP5.thumb.jpeg.f4136721305804c5e6b9bce912d11281.jpeg

We're back at it again!

Ef4zODWXoAAr09w.thumb.jpeg.dbf0edfa0c7db4cc700f6b4ffe90786b.jpeg

But I swear, I didn't even realise it was Ocon. I'd lost my concentration and was listening to Jeff babble on about something, completely missed the braking zone into Shanghai Turn 11 and the only way out was to swing it inside. I thought I had got away with it too!

Ef4zA67XkAEI7GR.thumb.jpeg.9a13ad875471f6a149b87938970d2fbf.jpegEf4yoaUWAAATlw_.thumb.jpeg.051e00ca6236a651c357bd4abf553fb6.jpeg

But no. And Ocon pitted after this lap, and he'd only just pitted before I came along, putting him last then and last at the end. 

This man is probably aching to punch me at some point :classic_laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×